/* */

PDA

View Full Version : What is Ism Al-Azam?

k.ibrahim
03-02-2023, 09:18 AM
Bismillah Ir-Rahman Ir-Rahim. I begin with ALLAH's auspiciousness,whose Name is the Best among all the Names. All Revences, All Sanctities and All Worships are due to ALLAH alone. Ashahadu An Laa illaaha illal llahu
Wa Ash Hadu Anna Muhammadan Abdu Hu Wa Rasooluhu
''I bear witness that there is no deity but Allah
who is without partner, and I bear witness that Muhammad (Peace be upon Him) is the Rasool.''
"O Allah, Shower Your Peace come upon Muhammad and the family of Muhammad, as you have brought peace to Ibrahim and his family.
Truly, You are Praiseworthy and Glorious. O Allah, Shower your blessing upon Muhammad and the family of Muhammad, as you have blessed Ibrahim and his family. Truly, You are Praiseworthy and Glorious". Iam Satisfied with Allâh as My Rabb and Cherisher,Iam Satisfied With Islam as My Din(religion) and I am satisfied with Muhammad as a Rasulallah (Messenger)sallallahu alaihi was salam) I seek Protection with ALLAH! With the Glorious and Noble Face of ALLAH! With the Complete and Perfect words of ALLAH! With the Exalted Attributes of ALLAH! From the Punishment of Hell; From chastisement in the Grave; From the Trial of Life and Death; From the Mischief of the dajjal. There is no power nor strength with (anyone) save Allah. ALLAH is Good and Only accept that which is Good. ALLAH is the Truth and only accept that which True. ALLAH is Pure and only accept that which is Pure.
Al-Asmaa ul-Husna

Virtues of Allah's Beautiful Names

﴾ بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم والحمد لله رب العالمين، والصلاة والسلام على أشرف الأنبياء والمرسلين سيدنا محمد وعلى آله وصحبه أجمعين ﴿
﴾ ولله الاسماء الحسنى فادعوه بها ﴿
What is Ism Al-Azam?

1. Definition

Ism Al-Azam (اسم الاعظم) means the Greatest Name of Allah (سبحانه و تعالى). Among its virtues, it is said that when a person with the proper disposition uses this name to supplicate to Allah then Allah grants whatever the supplicant asks for.

2. Ahadith with Duas

2.1 It was narrated that Al-Qasim and Abu Umamah (رضی اللہ عنهم) that the Prophet (صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم) said:

The Greatest Name of Allah, if He is called by which He will respond, is in three Surah: Al-Baqarah, Aal 'Imran and Ta-Ha.

(Sunan Ibn Majah 3856)

Hisham bin `Ammar, the Khatib (orator) of Damascus (one of the narrators in the above narration), said, "As for Al-Baqarah, it is in,

﴾اللَّهُ لاَ إِلَـهَ إِلاَّ هُوَ الْحَىُّ الْقَيُّومُ﴿
Allah! None has the right to be worshipped but He, the Ever Living, the One Who sustains and protects all that exists. (2:255)

In Al `Imran, it is in,
﴾الم - اللَّهُ لاَ إِلَـهَ إِلاَّ هُوَ الْحَىُّ الْقَيُّومُ﴿

Alif-Lam-Mim. Allah! None has the right to be worshipped but He, the Ever Living, the One Who sustains and protects all that exists. (3:1-2)

while in Ta-Ha, it is in,
﴾وَعَنَتِ الْوُجُوهُ لِلْحَىِّ الْقَيُّومِ﴿

And (all) faces shall be humbled before (Allah), the Ever Living, the One Who sustains and protects all that exists) .'' (20:111)

(Tafsir Ibn Kathir, Ayat Al-Kursi)

2.2 'Asma bint Yazid ibn Al-Sakan (رضي الله عنها) reported the Prophet (صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم) as saying:

"Allah's Greatest Names is in these two verses:

وَإِلَهُكُمْ إِلَهٌ وَاحِدٌ لاَ إِلَهَ إِلاَّ هُوَ الرَّحْمَنُ الرَّحِيمُ

"And your Ilaah (God) is One Ilaah (God), none has the right to be worshipped but He, the Ever-Merciful, the Mercy-Giving' (2:163)

and the beginning of Surah Al 'Imran,

الم * اللَّهُ لاَ إِلَهَ إِلاَّ هُوَ الْحَىُّ الْقَيُّومُ ‏
"A.L.M Allah, there is no deity but He, the Living, the Eternal." (3:1-2)

(Sunan Abi Dawud 1496)

2.3 `Abdullah bin Buraidah Al Aslami (رضي الله عنه) narrated from his father, who said:

“The Prophet (صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم) heard a man supplicating, and he was saying:

اللَّهُمَّ إِنِّي أَسْأَلُكَ بِأَنِّي أَشْهَدُ أَنَّكَ أَنْتَ اللَّهُ لاَ إِلَهَ إِلاَّ أَنْتَ الأَحَدُ الصَّمَدُ الَّذِي لَمْ يَلِدْ وَلَمْ يُولَدْ وَلَمْ يَكُنْ لَهُ كُفُوًا أَحَدٌ

‘O Allah, indeed, I ask you by my testifying that You are Allah, there is none worthy of worship except You, the One, As-Samad, the one who does not beget, nor was begotten, and there is none who is like Him.”

“So he said: ‘By the One in Whose Hand is my soul, he has asked Allah by His Greatest Name, the one which if He is called upon by it, He responds, and when He is asked by it, He gives.’”

(Jami` at-Tirmidhi 3475)

2.4 It was narrated that Anas bin Malik (رضي الله عنه) said:

"I was sitting with the Messenger of Allah (صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم) and a man was standing and praying. When he bowed, prostrated and recited the tashahhud, he supplicated, and in his supplication he said:

اللَّهُمَّ إِنِّي أَسْأَلُكَ بِأَنَّ لَكَ الْحَمْدَ لاَ إِلَهَ إِلاَّ أَنْتَ الْمَنَّانُ بَدِيعُ السَّمَوَاتِ وَالأَرْضِ يَا ذَا الْجَلاَلِ وَالإِكْرَامِ يَا حَىُّ يَا قَيُّومُ إِنِّي أَسْأَلُكَ

'O Allah, indeed I ask You since all praise is due to You, there is none worthy of worship but You, the Bestower, the Creator of the heavens and earth, O Possessor of majesty and honor, O Ever-living, O-Eternal, I ask of You.'

The Prophet (صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم) said: 'Do you know what he has supplicated with?' They said: "Allah (سبحانه و تعالى) and His Messenger know best." He said: 'By the One in Whose Hand is my soul, he called upon Allah by His greatest Name, which, if He is called by it, He responds, and if He is asked by it, He gives.'"

(Sunan an-Nasa'i 1300)

2.5 It was narrated that Anas bin Malik (رضي الله عنه) said:

"The Prophet (صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم) heard a man say:

اللَّهُمَّ إِنِّي أَسْأَلُكَ بِأَنَّ لَكَ الْحَمْدَ لاَ إِلَهَ إِلاَّ أَنْتَ وَحْدَكَ لاَ شَرِيكَ لَكَ الْمَنَّانُ بَدِيعُ السَّمَوَاتِ وَالأَرْضِ ذُو الْجَلاَلِ وَالإِكْرَامِ

'O Allah! I ask You by virtue of the fact that all praise is due to You; none has the right to be worshiped but You alone, and You have no partner or associate, the Bestower, the Originator of the heavens and the earth, the Possessor of majesty and honor.'

He (صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم) said: 'He has asked Allah by His Greatest Name which, if He is asked thereby He gives and if He is called upon thereby He answers.'"

(Sunan Ibn Majah 3858)

2.6 It was narrated that 'Aishah (رضي الله عنها) said:

"I heard the Messenger of Allah (صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم) say:

اللَّهُمَّ إِنِّي أَسْأَلُكَ بِاسْمِكَ الطَّاهِرِ الطَّيِّبِ الْمُبَارَكِ الأَحَبِّ إِلَيْكَ الَّذِي إِذَا دُعِيتَ بِهِ أَجَبْتَ وَإِذَا سُئِلْتَ بِهِ أَعْطَيْتَ وَإِذَا اسْتُرْحِمْتَ بِهِ رَحِمْتَ وَإِذَا اسْتُفْرِجْتَ بِهِ فَرَّجْتَ ‏

O Allah! I ask You by Your pure, good and blessed Name which is most beloved by You, which if You are called thereby You answer, and if You as asked thereby You give, if You are asked for mercy thereby You bestow mercy, and if You are asked for relief (from distress) thereby You grant relief.'"

She said: "He said one day: 'O 'Aishah, do you know that Allah has told me the Name which, if He is called thereby, He responds?' I said: 'O Messenger of Allah, may my father and mother be ransomed for you! Teach it to me.' He said: 'You should not learn it, O 'Aishah.' So I moved aside and sat for a while, then I got up and kissed his head, then I said: 'O Messenger of Allah, teach it to me.' He said: 'You should not learn it, O 'Aishah, and I should not teach it to you, for you should not ask for any worldly things thereby.'" She said: "So I got up and performed ablution, then I prayed two Rak'ah, then I said:

اللَّهُمَّ إِنِّي أَدْعُوكَ اللَّهَ وَأَدْعُوكَ الرَّحْمَنَ وَأَدْعُوكَ الْبَرَّ الرَّحِيمَ وَأَدْعُوكَ بِأَسْمَائِكَ الْحُسْنَى كُلِّهَا مَا عَلِمْتُ مِنْهَا وَمَا لَمْ أَعْلَمْ أَنْ تَغْفِرَ لِي وَتَرْحَمَنِي

'O Allah, I call upon Allah, and I call upon You, Ar-Rahman (the Most Gracious), and I call upon You, Al-Barr Ar-Rahim (The Most Kind, the Most Merciful), and I call upon You by all Your beautiful Names, those that I know and those that I do not know, (asking) that You forgive me and have mercy on me.'

The Messenger of Allah (صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم) smiled, then he said: 'It is among the names by which you called upon (Allah).'"

(Sunan Ibn Majah 3859)

2.7 Narrated Abu Huraira (رضي الله عنه):

Allah's Messenger (صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم) said, "Allah has ninety-nine names, i.e. one-hundred minus one, and whoever knows them will go to Paradise."

(Sahih al-Bukhari 2736)

2.8 Ibn ‘Abbas (رضي الله عنه) narrated:

The Prophet (صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم) said: “The Greatest names of Allah are in the last six verses of Surat al-Hashr.”

ولا تكونوا كالذين نسوا الله فأنساهم أنفسهم أولئك هم الفاسقون

And be not like those who forgot Allah , so He made them forget themselves. Those are the defiantly disobedient. (59:19)

لا يستوي أصحاب النار وأصحاب الجنة أصحاب الجنة هم الفائزون

Not equal are the companions of the Fire and the companions of Paradise. The companions of Paradise - they are the attainers [of success]. (59:20)

لو أنزلنا هذا القرآن على جبل لرأيته خاشعا متصدعا من خشية الله وتلك الأمثال نضربها للناس لعلهم يتفكرون

If We had sent down this Qur'an upon a mountain, you would have seen it humbled and coming apart from fear of Allah . And these examples We present to the people that perhaps they will give thought. (59:21)

هو الله الذي لا إله إلا هو عالم الغيب والشهادة هو الرحمن الرحيم

He is Allah , other than whom there is no deity, Knower of the unseen and the witnessed. He is the Entirely Merciful, the Especially Merciful. (59:22)

هو الله الذي لا إله إلا هو الملك القدوس السلام المؤمن المهيمن العزيز الجبار المتكبر سبحان الله عما يشركون
He is Allah , other than whom there is no deity, the Sovereign, the Pure, the Perfection, the Bestower of Faith, the Overseer, the Exalted in Might, the Compeller, the Superior. Exalted is Allah above whatever they associate with Him. (59:23)

هو الله الخالق البارئ المصور له الأسماء الحسنى يسبح له ما في السماوات والأرض وهو العزيز الحكيم
He is Allah , the Creator, the Inventor, the Fashioner; to Him belong the best names. Whatever is in the heavens and earth is exalting Him. And He is the Exalted in Might, the Wise. (59:24)

(Jami’ al-Sagheer 853)

2.9 Mu'awiyah ibn Abu Sufyan (رضي الله عنه) narrated

The Messenger of Allah (صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم) said whoever makes dua with these five Kalimat

لا الہ الا اللہ واللہ اکبر
لا الہ الا اللہ وحدہ لا شریک لہ،لہ الملک ولہ الحمد
وھو علی کل شیء قدیر
لا الہ الا اللہ
ولا حول ولا قوۃ الا باللہ

Allah will give him whatever he has asked for.

(Tabrani, Targheeb and Majma az-Zawaid)

3. Tafsir (Exegesis)

In Surah An-Naml of the Holy Qur'an, there is a verse mentioning a person who brought Queen of Sheba's throne to his king, Prophet Solomon (عليه السلام) in the twinkling of an eye.
قَالَ الَّذِي عِندَهُ عِلْمٌ مِّنَ الْكِتَابِ أَنَا آتِيكَ بِهِ قَبْلَ أَن يَرْتَدَّ إِلَيْكَ طَرْفُكَ ۚ فَلَمَّا رَآهُ مُسْتَقِرًّا عِندَهُ قَالَ هَٰذَا مِن فَضْلِ رَبِّي لِيَبْلُوَنِي أَأَشْكُرُ أَمْ أَكْفُرُ ۖ وَمَن شَكَرَ فَإِنَّمَا يَشْكُرُ لِنَفْسِهِ ۖ وَمَن كَفَرَ فَإِنَّ رَبِّي غَنِيٌّ كَرِيمٌ
Said one who had knowledge from the Scripture, "I will bring it to you before your glance returns to you." And when [Solomon] saw it placed before him, he said, "This is from the favor of my Lord to test me whether I will be grateful or ungrateful. And whoever is grateful - his gratitude is only for [the benefit of] himself. And whoever is ungrateful - then indeed, my Lord is Free of need and Generous." (27:40)

Mufasirin write that "one who had knowledge from the Scripture" refers to knowing Allah's Greatest Name. Ibn `Abbas (رضي الله عنه) said, "This was Asif, the scribe of Sulayman.'' It was also narrated by Muhammad bin Ishaq from Yazid bin Ruman that he was Asif bin Barkhiya' and he was a truthful believer who knew the Greatest Name of Allah.

(Tafsir Ibn Kathir 27:40)

There is difference on with what words Asif supplicated. Mujahid and Muqatil said:
يا ذا الجلال والإكرام
O Owner of Majesty and Honor.
Kalbi said:
يا حي يا قيوم
O Ever-Living O All-Sustaining

and this is narrated from Ayesha. Zuhri said that the person with knowledge from the scripture supplicated thus:

يا إلهنا وإله كل شيء إلها واحدا لا إله إلا أنت
O our God and the God of everything there is, The One God and there is no god except You.
(Tafsir al-Baghawi 27:40)
4. Opinion of Ulama (Scholars)

4.1 Sunni

Abu Haneefah (رحمه الله‎) is reported to have said: The greatest name of Allah is “Allah”. This is also the view of at-Tahhaawi.

Ibn al-Qayyim (رحمه الله‎) said: The name “Allah” is indicative of all the beautiful divine names and sublime attributes.

Imam an-Nawawi and Shaykh al-‘Uthaymeen (رحمهم الله) are of the view that the greatest name of Allah is “Al-Hayy Al-Qayyoom” (the Ever-Living, the Sustainer).

Other scholars affirmed that the greatest name of Allah exists and that it is a specific name, but they differed as to which is the greatest name. Al-Haafiz Ibn Hajar (رحمه الله‎) has listed them in his book Fath al-Baari (11/224-225). They are as follows:

S. No. Name Meaning Reference Authority
الله
(يا الله)
Allah Ibn Abi Hatim, Al-Sha’bi Jabir bin Abdullah bin Zaid
هو
He Imam Fakhruddin Ahl al-Kashf
الله الرحمن الرحيم
Allah the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful Al-Hafiz Ibn Hajar in Sharh Al-Bukhari, Al-Mustadrak, Musnad al-Firdous of Dailami Aisha, Ibn Abbas, Uthman
الرحمن الرحيم الحي القيوم
The Most Gracious, the Most Merciful, the Ever-Living, the Sustainer Al-Tirmidhi Asma Bint Yazid ibn Al-Sakan
الحي القيوم
The Ever-Living, the Sustainer Ibn Majah, Imam Fakhruddin Abu Umamah
الحنان المنان بديع السماوات والأرض ذو الجلال والاكرام الحي القيوم
The Compassionate, the Bestower, the Originator of the heavens and the earth, the Possessor of majesty and honour, Ever-Living, Sustainer Ahmad, Abu Dawud and Ibn Habban Anas bin Malik
بديع السماوات والأرض ذو الجلال والاكرام
The Originator of the heavens and the earth, the Possessor of majesty and honour Abu Ya’la As-Sirri bin Yahya
ذو الجلال والإكرام
The Possessor of majesty and honour Al-Tirmidhi, Ibn Jarir Mu’adh ibn Jabal and Mujahid
الله لا إله إلا هو الأحد الصمد الذي لم يلد ولم يولد ولم يكن له كفوا أحد
Allah there is no god but He, the One, the Eternal Refuge, who neither begets nor is born, Nor is there to Him any equivalent Abu Dawood, Al-Tirmidhi and Ibn Majah Buraidah Al Aslami
رب رب
(يا رب يا رب)
Lord, Lord Ibn Abi Dunya Abu al-Dardaa, Ibn Abbas, Aisha
لا إله إلا أنت سبحانك إني كنت من الظالمين
There is no deity except You; exalted are You. Indeed, I have been of the wrongdoers. (Quran 21:87) Al-Nasa’i, Al-Hakim, Ibn Abi Hatim, Ibn Jarir Fadalah bin Ubaid, Saad bin Abi Waqqas, Kathir bin Ma'bad
هو الله الله الله الذي لا إله إلا هو رب العرش العظيم
He is Allah, Allah, Allah, besides Whom there is no other god, Lord of the mighty Throne Imam Zain Al-Abidin Dream
هو مخفي في الأسماء الحسنى
It is concealed within the divine names Imam Suyuti Aisha
لا إله إلا الله
There is no god but Allah Imam Suyuti Ibn Iyadh

Further, Imam as-Suyuti (رحمه الله‎) lists مالك الملك

'The Owner of All Sovereignty'
as the Greatest Name. Suyuti has quoted from Al-Kabeer a narration on the authority of Ibn Abbas (رضي الله عنه) who reported: The Messenger of Allah (صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم) said: 'The Greatest name of Allah is in these verses of Surah Aal-e-Imran:

قُلِ اللَّهُمَّ مَالِكَ الْمُلْكِ تُؤْتِي الْمُلْكَ مَن تَشَاءُ وَتَنزِعُ الْمُلْكَ مِمَّن تَشَاءُ وَتُعِزُّ مَن تَشَاءُ وَتُذِلُّ مَن تَشَاءُ ۖ بِيَدِكَ الْخَيْرُ ۖ إِنَّكَ عَلَىٰ كُلِّ شَيْءٍ قَدِيرٌ
Say, "O Allah, Owner of Sovereignty, You give sovereignty to whom You will and You take sovereignty away from whom You will. You honor whom You will and You humble whom You will. In Your hand is [all] good. Indeed, You are over all things competent. (3:26)

تُولِجُ اللَّيْلَ فِي النَّهَارِ وَتُولِجُ النَّهَارَ فِي اللَّيْلِ ۖ وَتُخْرِجُ الْحَيَّ مِنَ الْمَيِّتِ وَتُخْرِجُ الْمَيِّتَ مِنَ الْحَيِّ ۖ وَتَرْزُقُ مَن تَشَاءُ بِغَيْرِ حِسَابٍ
You cause the night to enter the day, and You cause the day to enter the night; and You bring the living out of the dead, and You bring the dead out of the living. And You give provision to whom You will without account." (3:27)' (Al-Mu'jam Al-Kabir, At-Tabarani)

Abu Nuaym (رحمه الله‎) on the authority of Ibn Ar-Rabeeh (رضي الله عنه) is of the view that the Ism is
بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم
'In the name of Allah, the Entirely Merciful, the Especially Merciful.'

Al-Zarkashi's (رحمه الله‎) opinion on the authority of Al-Hasan Al-Basri, Al-Nadr bin Shamil and Ibn Muzaffar (رحمهم الله) is that the Ism is
اللهم
'O Allah!'
Ibn Jarir (رحمه الله‎) on the authority of Ibn Masood (رضي الله عنه) and Ibn Abi Hatim (رحمه الله‎) on the authority of Ibn Abbas (رضي الله عنه) believe that the Greatest Name is الم
'Alif-Laam-Meem'.
(Al-Hawi lil Fatwai)

Imam Al-Yafi'e (رحمه الله‎) narrated from Ali (رضي الله عنه) that Ism Al-Azam is present in the Huroof Muqatta'at of the Qur'an. (الدر النظیم)

Abu Ja‘far at-Tabari, Abu’l-Hasan al-Ash‘ari (رحمهم الله) and a number of others after them, such as Abu Haatim ibn Hibbaan and al-Qaadi Abu Bakr al-Baaqillaani (رحمهم الله) said that it is not permissible to regard some of the Divine Names as being superior to others as each of the Names of Allah (سبحانه و تعالى) may be described as the Greatest. O Muslim people! Please make DUA! For ME! K.Ibrahim!

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.