PDA

View Full Version : Is Smoking Permitted in Islam?



sonz
02-01-2006, 07:32 AM
Most Muslims are aware of and try to avoid the major sins in Islam - murder, suicide, adultery, alcohol, gambling, usury, etc. Muslims are forbidden to harm themselves or others. Yet millions of Muslims all over the world are doing just that - harming, even killing themselves and their families. Islamic scholars have historically had mixed views about tobacco, and until recently, cigarette smoking has not been unanimously forbidden or even discouraged.

The mixed views on the subject came about because cigarettes are a more recent invention and did not exist at the time of the revelation of the Qur'an in the 7th century A.D. Therefore, one cannot find a verse of Qur'an or words of the Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) saying clearly that "Cigarette smoking is forbidden." However, there are many instances where the Qur'an gives us general guidelines, and calls upon us to use our reason and intelligence, and seek guidance from Allah about what is right and wrong. In the Qur'an, Allah says, “...he [the Prophet] commands them what is just, and forbids them what is evil; he allows them as lawful what is good, and prohibits them from what is bad..." (Surah al-Ar’af 7:157). So what are the evils of tobacco use, for your health and for your deen (religion)?

1. Danger to your health

Allah says, "...make not your own hands contribute to your destruction..." (Surah al-Baqarah 2:195); "...nor kill yourselves..." (Surah al-Nisaa 4:29). It is universally understood that cigarette smoking causes a number of health problems that often ultimately result in death. Men who smoke contract lung cancer[/url] at 22 times the rate of non-smokers. Smokers are also highly at risk for heart disease[/url], oral cancer[/url], etc. There are hundreds of poisonous and toxic ingredients[/url] in the cigarette itself that the smoker inhales straight into the lungs. In an authentic hadith, the Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) said that "Whomsoever drinks poison, thereby killing himself, will sip this poison forever and ever in the fire of Jahannum (Hell)." Over 3 million people worldwide die from smoking-related causes each year.

2. Danger to your family's health

In the Qur'an, Allah says: "Those who annoy believing men and women undeservedly bear on themselves a glaring sin" (Surat al-Ahzaab 33:58). And the Prophet (peace be upon him) said that "there should be neither harming, nor reciprocating harm.” In another hadith, the Prophet (peace be upon him) said: "Anyone who believes in Allah and the Last Day should not hurt his neighbor." Those around the smoker inhale what is known as "second-hand smoke" - the unfiltered, poisonous waste that goes in the air around the smoker. There are over 4,000 chemicals in cigarette smoke, over 40 of which are known to cause cancer. Second-hand smoke causes or aggravates asthma, bronchitis, and other respiratory problems, especially in children.

3. Addictive
The addiction to tobacco is a physical response that often interferes with one's life and worship. For example, smoking is clearly forbidden during the daytime fast of Ramadan. Many addicted smokers spend their fasting days sleeping, cranky, and short-tempered, just counting the hours until they can have their fix at sunset. The most severely addicted will wait outside the mosque door for the adhan, and break their fast by lighting up, before taking even food or water.

4. Noxious Smell

Muslims are advised to refrain from eating raw onions and garlic - simply as a courtesy to those around them because of the awful smell. The same goes even more so for the reek of cigarettes, which permeates everything around the smoker - hair, clothing, home, car, etc. The Prophet (peace be upon him) said: “Whoever has eaten from such greens as garlic, onions or leek should keep away from our mosque.” Many smokers try to hide the smell by using breath mints or perfume. This does not get rid of the smell, it only masks it. Often the combination of smells is even more nauseating.
5. Waste of Money

Allah says, "...But spend not wastefully (your wealth) in the manner of a spendthrift. Verily spendthrifts are brothers of the devils...” {Surah al-Israa’ 17:26-27} And in an authentic hadith the Prophet (peace be upon him) said that: "Allah hates for you three things: gossiping, begging, and wasting money." In the U.S. and other countries, cigarettes are taxed heavily in order to discourage this habit and reimburse the government for the overwhelming health care costs to care for those afflicted with diseases caused by smoking. Smokers often spend thousands of dollars a year that literally just go up in smoke.

Recent Opinions of Scholars

In more recent times, as these dangers of tobacco use have come to be proven beyond any doubt, scholars have become more unanimous in pronouncing tobacco use clearly haram (forbidden) to believers. They now use the strongest terms to condemn this habit. For example: "In view of the harm caused by tobacco, growing, trading in and smoking of tobacco are judged to be haram (forbidden). The Prophet, peace be upon him, is reported to have said, 'Do not harm yourselves or others.' Furthermore, tobacco is unwholesome, and God says in the Qur'an that the Prophet, peace be upon him, 'enjoins upon them that which is good and pure, and forbids them that which is unwholesome'" (Permanent Committee of Academic Research and Fatwa, Saudi Arabia).
For a comprehensive look at smoking in Islam - the history, the rulings, and a full explanation with citations from Islamic resources, the best online article is Smoking: A Social Poison by Muhammad al-Jibaly.

How to Quit?

As mentioned, one of the dangers of tobacco is that it is so addicting. It causes a physical response in your body when you try to give it up. Therefore, quitting is often difficult. However, with the help of Allah and the personal commitment to improve yourself for the sake of Allah, and for your own health, it is possible. It is first recommended to make the firm intention, from deep in your heart, to give up this evil habit. Trust in Allah's words: "...When you have taken a decision, put your trust in Allah. For Allah loves those who put their trust in Him. If Allah help you, none can overcome you; if He forsakes you, who is - after that - that can help you? In Allah, then, let believers put their trust" (Surah Al-'lmran 3:159-160).

Secondly, one must avoid situations where you are used to smoking, and people who do so around you. For example, if you have certain friends who gather together to smoke, make a choice to stay away from that environment for the time being. At a vulnerable stage, it is too easy to get sucked back in by having "just one." Remember, tobacco causes a physical addiction and you must stay away completely. Drink a lot of water and keep yourself busy in other endeavors. Spend time in the mosque. Play sports. And remember the words of Allah: "And those who strive hard in Our Cause, We will certainly guide them to Our Paths, for verily Allah is with those who do right” (Surah al-Ankabut 29:69).


Living With a Smoker

If you live with or are friends with smokers, first of all encourage them to quit, for the sake of Allah, their deen, and their health. If they refuse (and ultimately we will face Allah alone), you have the right to protect your own health and the health of your family. Do not allow it in the house. Do not allow it in enclosed quarters with your family. Even if the smoker is a parent, we do not need to permit them to smoke merely because they are our parents or elders. The Qur'an is clear that we are not to obey our parents in things which are forbidden by Allah. Share with your loved ones the information above, and encourage them to give up this habit, for the sake of Allah.
Reply

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
papa_smurf
02-01-2006, 11:16 AM
jazakAllah bro, il have to try and give-up now, inshaAllah i will
Reply

DaSangarTalib
02-01-2006, 11:25 AM
:sl:

Jazaka Allah fo the info Sonz i was going to make a similar thread but lookz like your beat me to it.. :) lol

:w:
Reply

mizan_aliashraf
02-01-2006, 11:28 AM
Salam
That seems to clear things up, but remember that some scholars and their students hold differences of opinion.
Wassalam
Reply

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Sign Up
sonz
02-01-2006, 09:11 PM
Originally Posted by mizan_aliashraf
Salam
That seems to clear things up, but remember that some scholars and their students hold differences of opinion.
Wassalam
how can u have difference of opinion with smoking. its 100% haram cuz of the health and there is alot of evidence that it damages ur health.
Reply

Smok
02-03-2006, 10:53 PM
Does haram means "not allowed"?
Reply

Nawal89
02-03-2006, 11:04 PM
^yes. haram = forbidden.
Reply

Umm Safiya
02-03-2006, 11:05 PM
Originally Posted by Smok
Does haram means "not allowed"?
haram is something that is prohibited
Reply

Smok
02-03-2006, 11:07 PM
Thanks :)
Reply

M H Kahn
02-17-2006, 05:32 PM
Originally Posted by sonz
how can u have difference of opinion with smoking. its 100% haram cuz of the health and there is alot of evidence that it damages ur health.
:sl:
I'm personally disinclined to differ with you. But there are people who smoke regularly and assert that it does not harm them in any way; instead, they say, it gives them stamina for work.:?
Reply

Malaikah
02-18-2006, 06:12 AM
Originally Posted by M H Kahn
:sl:
I'm personally disinclined to differ with you. But there are people who smoke regularly and assert that it does not harm them in any way; instead, they say, it gives them stamina for work.:?
:sl:

maybe thats becuase they cant see whats inside them, maybe they cant see the cancer cells growing, or the toxins building in their bodies, how many people do you know who have the ability to see their lungs?

:w:
Reply

M H Kahn
02-18-2006, 06:23 AM
It is obvious.
Smoking is a bad thing and all bad things are prohibited in Islam.
Reply

Malik
02-18-2006, 03:07 PM
May Allah bless you to quit and makw it easy on you
Reply

Uthman
02-18-2006, 03:10 PM
:sl:

Yeah, good post Sonz. :)

The way I see it:

Smoking = Prolonged Suicide
Suicide = Haraam
Therefore,
Smoking = Haraam
Reply

Malik
02-18-2006, 03:13 PM
yep
Reply

Hemoo
02-19-2006, 12:53 AM
well done brother SONZ

wa alsalamu alykom
Reply

M H Kahn
02-22-2006, 05:54 PM
Originally Posted by Osman
:sl:

Yeah, good post Sonz. :)

The way I see it:

Smoking = Prolonged Suicide
Suicide = Haraam
Therefore,
Smoking = Haraam
Nope ! Smoking is prohibited, but, as some scholars opine, it is not haram proper.
Reply

Muezzin
02-22-2006, 06:16 PM
Does 'smoking' include the water pipe AKA hookah AKA 'shisha'?

A few of my friends smoke that stuff. Unfortunately, they should usually be in class at the time :p
Reply

Kittygyal
02-22-2006, 06:18 PM
can i ask that is bud not allowed in izlam?
Reply

Muezzin
02-22-2006, 06:19 PM
Originally Posted by islamgyal
can i ask that is bud not allowed in izlam?
'Bud' as in 'Budweiser'? :p
Reply

Kittygyal
02-22-2006, 06:25 PM
bud as in powder/drugs
Reply

hamzaa
02-23-2006, 10:20 PM
:sl: sis, which drugs?
Reply

Kittygyal
02-23-2006, 10:21 PM
do u knw wot bud is?
Reply

hamzaa
02-23-2006, 10:23 PM
:sl: I am new to this kind of terminology, besides I take it has nothing to do with flowers?:happy:
Reply

Kittygyal
02-23-2006, 10:26 PM
no it has not :)

it's a drug lyk ppl take cigs and dat yea ppl take bud it's a drug

come on we need the doctors round here :)

me and poor hamza can't work this owt lolz
Reply

Cheb
02-23-2006, 10:31 PM
Well I think she means Hasheesh, or pot or Marijuana ect.
I am no scholar so I wont say a definite answer. But all signs point towards a Yes it is Haram.
Reply

Khaldun
02-23-2006, 10:32 PM
:sl:

Nope ! Smoking is prohibited, but, as some scholars opine, it is not haram proper.
Smoking is haram and this is the most correct opinion (period)
Reply

Kittygyal
02-23-2006, 10:40 PM
Originally Posted by Cheb
Well I think she means Hasheesh, or pot or Marijuana ect.
I am no scholar so I wont say a definite answer. But all signs point towards a Yes it is Haram.
yea dats wot a mean nw adays ppl say bud
Reply

hamzaa
02-23-2006, 10:47 PM
Originally Posted by islamgyal
yea dats wot a mean nw adays ppl say bud

:sl: what skunk aka ganja aka dude, this is "chroniccc"?:uhwhat

jokes asides, agree with bro cheb
Reply

Kittygyal
02-23-2006, 10:52 PM
Originally Posted by hamzaa
:sl: what skunk aka ganja aka dude, this is "chroniccc"?:uhwhat

jokes asides, agree with bro cheb
HEY! I AINT GET DAT :rant:
Reply

Khaldun
02-23-2006, 10:57 PM
:sl:

Praise be to Allaah.

There is no doubt that taking drugs is haraam, including hashish, opium, cocaine, morphine, and so on. That is for many reasons, including the following:
...

For full article see http://63.175.194.25/index.php?ln=en...QR=66227&dgn=4
Reply

Kittygyal
02-23-2006, 10:59 PM
i'm gettin confused here so it's allowed or not?
Reply

renak
03-09-2006, 05:00 AM
There is several new studies which indicate that smoking isn't as harmful as originally believed. Do a google search.
Reply

abdul Majid
03-09-2006, 05:18 AM
lol, as harmful??

its still very harmful and causes thousands of deaths yearly!!
Reply

sumay28
03-09-2006, 07:12 AM
*puts out joint* oops! hehe... :-[
Reply

FatimaAsSideqah
03-09-2006, 09:38 AM
:sl:

Cigarette smoking is the most widespread example of drug dependence in the United States and in all the Islamic countries as well. The U.S. Surgeon General's Office considers cigarette smoking to America's worst drug addiction problem. Medical investigations show that cigarette smoking is a major factor in the development of many cases of cancer, heart trouble, chronic lung and respiratory disease and other ailments. Smoking causes more illness and death than all other drugs. Cigarette smoking in pregnant women results in deleterious health effects on their newborn children. These Findings and the revelations in the Holy Qur'an clearly prohibit smoking of tobacco by Muslims. Hence smoking is unlawful in Islam.


It is very well known that cigarette smoking is the most widespread example of drug dependence in the United States. A pamphlet released by the U.S. Surgeon General's Office entitled "Why People Smoke Cigarettes" calls cigarette smoking America's worst drug addiction problem. It involves addiction to the drug nicotine in tobacco and possible other tobacco substances.

More than 56 million Americans and multiple scores of millions more in other nations, including Islamic nations are hooked on cigarettes in the same way as caffeine addicts are hooked on caffeine. A major reason why sales continue at high levels despite widespread public knowledge about the health hazards is the addictive nature of cigarettes.

The withdrawal symptoms are headache, stomach discomfort, nervousness, irritability, sweating, change in heart and blood pressure and lower excretion of some hormones affecting the nervous system.

In Islam cleanliness and hygiene are emphasized to the extent that it has been considered a part of Iman (faith). It is very well known that a smoker's mouth is unclean and foul smelling "like a cigarette ash-tray." Allah (SWT) says:

"And forbids them what is bad." The Qur'an, Surah Al-'Araf, 7: 157

"0 ye who believe! Intoxicants and gambling are an abomination of Satan's handiwork. Eschew such abominations that ye may prosper." Al Ma'idah, 5: 93

Smoking is nothing but a form of slow suicide. The Qur'an says:

"And slay not the life which Allah hath forbidden..."

Surah, Al-Isra, 17: 33

"And make not your own hands contribute to your destruction." Surah, Al-Baqara, 2: 195

"Nor kill or destroy yourselves for verily Allah hath been to you most Merciful." Surah, An-Nisa, 4: 29

The Prophet of Allah (peace be upon him) has said:

"Nor be hurt or injure others." It is scientifically proven that the exhaled smoke of the smoker is hazardous to non-smokers around him.

Body is polluted by smoking. Hence smokers cannot pray until they have cleansed themselves. According to the Qur'an:

"0 ye who believe! Draw not near unto prayer when you are drunken, till ye know that which ye utter, nor when you are polluted save when journeying upon the road, till you have bathed."

Surah, An-Nisa, 4: 43

That is pretty clear that smoking is haram in Islam..full stop.

:w: :sister:
Reply

أحمد
03-09-2006, 01:12 PM
:sl:

:) As for people who smoke; they are harming others as well as themselves, if they are so desperate to kill themselves; there are other ways available, but as its forbidden in Islam; its best to stay away from self harm and harming many innocent people who do not smoke (passive smoking) . . .

:w:
Reply

mizan_aliashraf
03-09-2006, 02:32 PM
Salam

"And do not do yourself any harm, surely Allah is all merciful"
al-Qur'an - Surah an-Nisaa - Ayah 29

Smoking tobacco is detrimental to one's health and it leads to many chronic illnesses such as heart disease and lung cancer. The vast majority of 'ulamaa have said that smoking is haraam. There are differences of opinion but these have weak arguments. I (along with my teachers) would say it is not allowed to smoke
And Allah knows best
Wassalam
Reply

MetSudaisTwice
03-09-2006, 02:33 PM
salam
i agree with you bro, smoking is a form of harm to your body
wasalam
Reply

أحمد
03-09-2006, 02:41 PM
:sl:

:) Please refer to Surah an-Nisaa (4) verse 29 for details . . . :hiding:

:w:
Reply

MetSudaisTwice
03-09-2006, 02:44 PM
salam
Surah Nisa verse 29
O you who believe! do not devour your property among yourselves falsely, except that it be trading by your mutual consent; and do not kill your people; surely Allah is Merciful to you.
wasalam
Reply

أحمد
03-09-2006, 02:50 PM
Originally Posted by metsudaistwice
and do not kill your people
:sl:

:) The Arabic is: "wa laa taqtuloo anfusakum", which is also translated as: "and do not kill yourselves" . . .

:w:
Reply

MetSudaisTwice
03-09-2006, 02:54 PM
salam
sorry about my mistake
wasalam
Reply

أحمد
03-09-2006, 02:59 PM
Originally Posted by metsudaistwice
salam
sorry about my mistake
wasalam
:sl:

:) It wasn't a mistake, just a small difference in translation; it happens all the time; thats why no two translations are exactly the same.

:w:
Reply

renak
03-09-2006, 07:12 PM
Why is there such a difference in opinions in regards to smoking in Islam?
Reply

Kittygyal
03-09-2006, 07:20 PM
cuz sum ppl say it is NOT allowed where as others may say it is

take care
Reply

abdul Majid
03-09-2006, 07:28 PM
lol becuase you have people who cant live without it, so they make it look like its ok, they dont wanna hear the truth, lol
Reply

sargon
03-10-2006, 04:08 PM
:sl:
It's not halal that's for sure! It breaks down your will power, your energy, shocks your nerves, makes you lazy, wastes money, makes you tired, kills you slowly, and nicotine is more addictive than crack/cocaine.

I know from years of smoking since I was little, started when I was 16 because of peer pressure and a lack of will power. It started with one with my friends when I wanted to be cool, then one a day because of cravings, and then all of a sudden you can't go an hour without one.

I am quitting now inshaAllah. Fasting helps because you really don't want to break your fast so it prolongs the cravings and then goes away slowly but surely.

Please make dua for me, there's no doubt in my mind it's haraam. It does absolutely no good, and serves no purpose but shaytans.
:w:
Reply

IbnAbdulHakim
03-10-2006, 04:15 PM
Originally Posted by sargon
:sl:
It's not halal that's for sure! It breaks down your will power, your energy, shocks your nerves, makes you lazy, wastes money, makes you tired, kills you slowly, and nicotine is more addictive than crack/cocaine.

I know from years of smoking since I was little, started when I was 16 because of peer pressure and a lack of will power. It started with one with my friends when I wanted to be cool, then one a day because of cravings, and then all of a sudden you can't go an hour without one.

I am quitting now inshaAllah. Fasting helps because you really don't want to break your fast so it prolongs the cravings and then goes away slowly but surely.

Please make dua for me, there's no doubt in my mind it's haraam. It does absolutely no good, and serves no purpose but shaytans.
:w:
will do bro, and make dua for urself and rememba only the shaytaan makes you do that which has no benefit

:sl:
Reply

Isra
03-19-2006, 05:44 PM
If you live with or are friends with smokers, first of all encourage them to quit, for the sake of Allah, their deen, and their health. If they refuse (and ultimately we will face Allah alone), you have the right to protect your own health and the health of your children. Do not allow it in the house. Do not allow it in enclosed quarters with your family. Even if the smoker is a parent, we are not to obey our parents in things which are forbidden by Allah.

And this is a reminder to all of us. As we all know the facts (from the CIA book of records):

1) Total world population: 6.5 billion

2) Total population of Muslims (Masha'Allaah!): 2 billion (2,023,829,080) i.e. out of every 4 human on this earth, one is a Muslim.

3) Total cigarette smokers in the world: 1.15 billion (1,158,536,585) i.e. 18% of the population approximately.

4) Total Muslim cigarette smokers in the world (according to the world percentage): 400,000,000 approximately. (400 million).

Do you know?

1. Phillip Morris is the largest tobacco & cigarette manufacturing company in the world.

2. Phillip Morris donates 12% of its profits to Israel.

3. If 400 million Muslims smoke a packet of cigarette each on average per day (average cost per packet being $2.00) - only us Muslims contribute $ 800 million to the Phillip Morris company.

4. Let us assume 10% profit on this amount, which sums up to $ 80 million. 5. 12 % of the profits go to Israel - 12% of $80 million = $ 9.6 million.

$ 9.6 million per day!

This is the amount that we Muslims are contributing to Israel and helping them kill our children in Palestine.




From http://www.allaahuakbar.net/haraam_or_halaal/
Reply

abdul Majid
03-19-2006, 08:45 PM
wow
Reply

itsme01
03-21-2006, 04:54 AM
IT IS HARAM


just wanted to say it :X
Reply

hammadj49
03-21-2006, 06:37 AM
:sl:

May Allah SWT give you power to leave this Shaytaniyat.

Originally Posted by sargon
:sl:
It's not halal that's for sure! It breaks down your will power, your energy, shocks your nerves, makes you lazy, wastes money, makes you tired, kills you slowly, and nicotine is more addictive than crack/cocaine.

I know from years of smoking since I was little, started when I was 16 because of peer pressure and a lack of will power. It started with one with my friends when I wanted to be cool, then one a day because of cravings, and then all of a sudden you can't go an hour without one.

I am quitting now inshaAllah. Fasting helps because you really don't want to break your fast so it prolongs the cravings and then goes away slowly but surely.

Please make dua for me, there's no doubt in my mind it's haraam. It does absolutely no good, and serves no purpose but shaytans.
:w:
Reply

...
03-21-2006, 01:23 PM
The tobacco inside cigarettes contains alcohol anyway so it's clearly haram
Reply

IbnAbdulHakim
03-21-2006, 03:17 PM
Originally Posted by itsme01
IT IS HARAM


just wanted to say it :X
just wanted to quote it :X
Reply

hamzaa
03-21-2006, 03:26 PM
Originally Posted by hammadj49
:sl:

May Allah SWT give you power to leave this Shaytaniyat.
salaam.

ameen

salaam
Reply

mizan_aliashraf
03-21-2006, 03:52 PM
Salam
Can this thread be closed please? I have probably posted here 3 times stating that smoking is HARAAAM! This thread is not getting us anywhere and we seem to ge going around in circles.
And Allah knows best
Wassalam
Reply

Sister_6038
03-21-2006, 08:56 PM
i just wish people would not smoke in the faces of others subhanallah....it hurts (literally)....
Reply

sumay28
03-31-2006, 10:50 AM
I remember at one point I thought it was *okay* to smoke weed because it wasn't alcohol. Mind you, at the time I wasn't a practicing muslim. But anyway.... I don't want to use the word "haram" here because you gotta be careful when using that word. But if you smoke, stop smoking. You don't want to be worshipping Allah stinkin' like an ash tray. Besides.. you know that stuff is bad for you, man. Do you feel comfortable saying "bismallah" before lighting a cig? Then you know it can't be right.
Reply

shaharoun
03-31-2006, 11:11 AM
:sl:
Jazakallah khaira
:w:
Reply

Khaldun
03-31-2006, 01:23 PM
:sl:
But anyway.... I don't want to use the word "haram" here because you gotta be careful when using that word.
I know what you mean, however this is clearly haram, and not as some people believe only Makruuh. I agree with brother Mizaan, alhamdulilah we have been enlightened on this issue and understood that its haraam now the hard bit is left of leaving it. Remember;


Those who listen to the word, then follow the best of it; those are they whom Allah has guided, and those it is who are the men of understanding.
[Surah Zumar Ayah 18]

And the believers are those who say, upon hearing Allahs command

We hear and obey, our Lord! Thy forgiveness (do we crave), and to Thee is the final return. [Surah Baqrah Ayah 285]

May Allah make us from these people, Ameen.
Reply

Guardian_angel
04-21-2006, 10:16 PM
smoking is like suicide, at da end of da day u r killing urself. so y do soooo many 'muslims' take up dis habit n claim dat u r allowed 2 smoke?
Reply

Khaldun
04-21-2006, 10:20 PM
:sl:

Threads Merged.
Reply

extinction
04-21-2006, 11:29 PM
Originally Posted by M H Kahn
:sl:
I'm personally disinclined to differ with you. But there are people who smoke regularly and assert that it does not harm them in any way; instead, they say, it gives them stamina for work.:?
you what?? if smoking gives you stamina I might as well give up on jogging and go down the street and buy a pack of camels...smoking cant and wont give you stamina its a trick of the mind or something people try to say to justify their actions...smoking shouldnt be called makrooh by some scholars there is no benefit whatsoever in it and only harm.......not to mention bad breath smelly clothes and yellow teeth.....
Reply

Abdullah
04-22-2006, 07:33 PM
Assalam alaikum, i agree smoking is bad but if we use your analogy then eating fast food is also haram because it is bad for the health? Fast food have alot of trans fat which causes obesity and some say link 2 tumours.
Reply

extinction
04-22-2006, 07:35 PM
Originally Posted by Abdullah
Assalam alaikum, i agree smoking is bad but if we use your analogy then eating fast food is also haram because it is bad for the health? Fast food have alot of trans fat which causes obesity and some say link 2 tumours.
fast food has some benefit in it regardless of it being link to obesity smoking has no benefit at all
Reply

extinction
04-22-2006, 07:36 PM
Originally Posted by Abdullah
Assalam alaikum, i agree smoking is bad but if we use your analogy then eating fast food is also haram because it is bad for the health? Fast food have alot of trans fat which causes obesity and some say link 2 tumours.
oh and i eat loads of fast food but work out in accordance and im fine but a smoker however can not reverse the damage at all!! there is no way of balancing smoking with anything where as fast food with some good exercise can be balanced
Reply

*noor
04-22-2006, 07:37 PM
i dont understand why somebody would smoke in the first place.........i dont see any benefit of it.
Reply

Abdullah
04-22-2006, 07:41 PM
Oh and i also forgot, and if we use your analogy about smoking then we can also say lack of sleep is also haram because new study shows, Sleep deprivation as bad as alcohol impairment.

http://archives.cnn.com/2000/HEALTH/...p.deprivation/

Im will have to disagree that smoking is %100 haram, i myself dont know if it is or not, but your arguements on why it is haram is what i disagree with.
Reply

*noor
04-22-2006, 07:43 PM
Originally Posted by Abdullah
Oh and i also forgot, and if we use your analogy about smoking then we can also say lack of sleep is also haram because new study shows, Sleep deprivation as bad as alcohol impairment.

http://archives.cnn.com/2000/HEALTH/...p.deprivation/

Im will have to disagree that smoking is %100 haram, i myself dont know if it is or not, but your arguements on why it is haram is what i disagree with.

theres no such thing of percentages of haram or halal
its either haram or halal
Reply

Abdullah
04-22-2006, 07:45 PM
Originally Posted by nurofislam
theres no such thing of percentages of haram or halal
its either haram or halal
I know what i ment was i wasnt Sure if it is or not. I have mixed feelings if it would be considered haram or not, that is what i ment, sorry for the confusion:)
Reply

extinction
04-22-2006, 07:49 PM
Originally Posted by Abdullah
I know what i ment was i wasnt Sure if it is or not. I have mixed feelings if it would be considered haram or not, that is what i ment, sorry for the confusion:)
my analogy you have confused bro......im saying tht there is only harm in it and no benefit at all ..all your examples have some sort of benefit in them
Reply

extinction
04-22-2006, 07:50 PM
besides harming yourself by not sleeping and all that intentionally is prohibited by the quraan
Reply

extinction
04-22-2006, 07:51 PM
wa laa tuhliku bi aydikum ilaat tahluka (surah baqara 2nd juz)
Reply

Abdullah
04-22-2006, 07:53 PM
Originally Posted by hafizmo
my analogy you have confused bro......im saying tht there is only harm in it and no benefit at all ..all your examples have some sort of benefit in them

What benefits do you get from Sleep Deprivation? and some people smoke because they have too much stress and helps them relax, that is one benefit (From a non Health view point). Srry i would like to clear I dont like smoking and i just commenting on the explanation why it is haram
Reply

Pk_#2
04-22-2006, 07:56 PM
AsalamuAlaykum,

I believe that smoking is a bad thing, and pray that Allah helps muslim smokers to quite. inshaAllah

Anyways bro,

wa laa tuhliku bi aydikum ilaat tahluka (surah baqara 2nd juz)

can i have a translation, if possible Jazakhala'khair

WalaykumSalaam.
Reply

Abdullah
04-22-2006, 07:57 PM
Originally Posted by hafizmo
besides harming yourself by not sleeping and all that intentionally is prohibited by the quraan

I dont think people want to have sleep deprivation, and im sure not everyone does it intentionally. So if smoking is haram than so is sleep deprivation (not intentionally?)
Reply

extinction
04-22-2006, 08:01 PM
Originally Posted by Abdullah
What benefits do you get from Sleep Deprivation? and some people smoke because they have too much stress and helps them relax, that is one benefit (From a non Health view point). Srry i would like to clear I dont like smoking and i just commenting on the explanation why it is haram
smoking helps you relive stress..hmm...thats a mental game ... well you can try asking a few arab scholars they will say its haraam point blank because of the quraan ayat which means to some extent do not bring harm to yourself with your own hands and thats exactly what your doing with smoking.....sleep deprivation will be like a person will stay awake crazy hours to make some money...benefit earned is he made some extra cash........also smoking is wasting of money which is known as extravagance...and it harms others around you..makes you stink...causing people to go through hardships due to the smell........
Reply

Abdullah
04-22-2006, 08:12 PM
Originally Posted by hafizmo
smoking helps you relive stress..hmm...thats a mental game ... well you can try asking a few arab scholars they will say its haraam point blank because of the quraan ayat which means to some extent do not bring harm to yourself with your own hands and thats exactly what your doing with smoking.....sleep deprivation will be like a person will stay awake crazy hours to make some money...benefit earned is he made some extra cash........also smoking is wasting of money which is known as extravagance...and it harms others around you..makes you stink...causing people to go through hardships due to the smell........

Btw there are no benefits for certain fast foods. When i say fast food i dont mean subway, im talking about Mcdonalds and Burger King. There are no benefits it harms yourself in the long run with Chronic Illness, diabeties and obesity. which benefit of fast food are you talking about? so eating n e kind of burger from mcdonalds is harm to myself. And i agree smoking is really bad, i dont know why people do it. But there has to be a better arguement on why smoking is haram. And brother hafizmo, no matter how you look at sleep deprivation is bringing harm to yourself, doesnt matter if you are making money, that would be an excuse cuz remember according to studies, SLeep deprivation is just as bad as Alcohol impairment. So than according to your analogy, if you are harming yourself but some benefits come out of it, it would b considered lawful? even tho there is more harm than good? and i would also like to point out, sleep deprivation has more costs then benefits.
Reply

Abdullah
04-22-2006, 08:16 PM
Assalam alaikum, btw this is recent news, http://www.cnn.com/2006/HEALTH/04/12....ap/index.html

Does this mean eating fries at mcdonalds is haram?
Reply

extinction
04-22-2006, 08:18 PM
Originally Posted by Abdullah
Assalam alaikum, btw this is recent news, http://www.cnn.com/2006/HEALTH/04/12....ap/index.html

Does this mean eating fries at mcdonalds is haram?
ok thats a whole nother issue alot of muslims think mc donalds is haraam to begin with..the whole same oil issue and all that......
Reply

AhlaamBella
04-22-2006, 08:18 PM
It is prohibited to harm your body. smoking does that.
Reply

Abdullah
04-22-2006, 08:22 PM
Originally Posted by hafizmo
ok thats a whole nother issue alot of muslims think mc donalds is haraam to begin with..the whole same oil issue and all that......

Yes bro i agree it is a different issue, but im commenting on your analogy why smoking is haraam though. You said smoking is haram becuase it is harming yourself. So my point is anything that harms yourself haram? using the same analogy, here is what the article states on sleep deprivation

Drivers are especially vulnerable, the researchers warned. They found that people who drive after being awake for 17 to 19 hours performed worse than those with a blood alcohol level of .05 percent. That's the legal limit for drunk driving in most western European countries, though most U.S. states set their blood alcohol limits at .1 percent and a few at .08 percent.

The study said 16 to 60 percent of road accidents involve sleep deprivation. The researchers said countries with drunk driving laws should consider similar restrictions against sleep-deprived driving.

The British Medical Association warned that there are other problems associated with sleep deprivation beyond impaired motor skills. People who get too little sleep may have higher levels of stress, anxiety and depression, and may take unnecessary risks.

And the dangers aren't limited to drivers. People who work long shifts or night shifts, such as medical personnel or other emergency workers, may also have troubles.
As you can read, From all angles sleep deprivation is wrong (using your analogy on why smoking is haraam)
Reply

extinction
04-22-2006, 08:24 PM
who said sleep deprivation was halaal?
Reply

Abdullah
04-22-2006, 08:29 PM
Originally Posted by Baby_Pearl
It is prohibited to harm your body. smoking does that.

:sl:

Yes sister, i agree with you, but there are limitations with what you just said. Living in Tokyo would also be harming your body because of all the Pollutions. Living in tokyo would not be considered haraam i persume. I believe we have to look in that statement in depth about harming your body. There is long term and short term. Smoking around people who dont smoke, I agree that could be labelled as haraam because of second hand smoke and incosideration of other people healthy lifestyle. But smoking alone, i think it can go both ways. I personally believe it deals with how much you do it. Overdoing anything can be harmful. Smoking to an extent where they have to put a hole in ur throat, i believe that is going to far. If your smoking, but do it moderatly i dont see the problem.
Reply

*noor
04-22-2006, 08:31 PM
Originally Posted by Abdullah
:sl:

Yes sister, i agree with you, but there are limitations with what you just said. Living in Tokyo would also be harming your body because of all the Pollutions. Living in tokyo would not be considered haraam i persume. I believe we have to look in that statement in depth about harming your body. There is long term and short term. Smoking around people who dont smoke, I agree that could be labelled as haraam because of second hand smoke and incosideration of other people healthy lifestyle. But smoking alone, i think it can go both ways. I personally believe it deals with how much you do it. Overdoing anything can be harmful. Smoking to an extent where they have to put a hole in ur throat, i believe that is going to far. If your smoking, but do it moderatly i dont see the problem.
Of that which intoxicates in a large amount, a small amount is haram. (Tirmeedhi)
Reply

Abdullah
04-22-2006, 08:36 PM
Originally Posted by hafizmo
who said sleep deprivation was halaal?
:sl:

according 2 u
my analogy you have confused bro......im saying tht there is only harm in it and no benefit at all ..all your examples have some sort of benefit in them
having benefits in them wouldnt be considered haraam? and Well when i did talk about sleep deprivation which i was asking you if it was haraam according to your analogy. You seemed you indirectley said no it wouldnt be haraam, since you never said it wasnt, you seemed to "defend" sleep deprivation

sleep deprivation will be like a person will stay awake crazy hours to make some money...benefit earned is he made some extra cash
Remember, all i am trying to do is comment on [B]you and the people that said it was %100 haraam because it is harmful to body[B] analogy. That isnt a good enough point to assert that smoking is haraam.
Reply

Abdullah
04-22-2006, 08:41 PM
Originally Posted by nurofislam
Of that which intoxicates in a large amount, a small amount is haram. (Tirmeedhi)
:sl:

I think that line refers to people asking even if drinking a small amount of alcohol is haraam??

And is it possible to give me the hadith number? i would like to know the history of the verse inorder to understand it properly
Reply

extinction
04-22-2006, 08:44 PM
ive had enough of this lol........as I am not a scholar but I will just say that smoking is haraam if other people think its halaal ...Allah knows best......
Reply

Abdullah
04-22-2006, 08:47 PM
Originally Posted by hafizmo
ive had enough of this lol........as I am not a scholar but I will just say that smoking is haraam if other people think its halaal ...Allah knows best......
:sl:

lol i just wanted to make sure that when you do tell other bros or sisters that something is haraam, and you do not have enough information to base on that judgement, it be best to say In my opinion it woud be.... instead of just saying it is haraam.

Btw nurofislam, Smoking does not intoxicate you, you are still in the right state of mind.
Reply

extinction
04-22-2006, 08:49 PM
Originally Posted by Abdullah
:sl:

lol i just wanted to make sure that when you do tell other bros or sisters that something is haraam, and you do not have enough information to base on that judgement, it be best to say In my opinion it woud be.... instead of just saying it is haraam.

Btw nurofislam, Smoking does not intoxicate you, you are still in the right state of mind.
im not quoting out of my opinion but in the opinion of the scholars of saudi who say its haram..and they use the quraan ayaat that I mentioned as their proof...............
Reply

Sister_6038
04-22-2006, 08:49 PM
smoking is bad for you...most people only start it due to peer pressure...it fustrates me so much that people smoke...its like hello you know its not good for you so why do it?? people say addiction....i say selfishness sorry...i mean when i will be treating patients with lung cancer as a result of smoking i wont be like a crazy wacko at them though.....its just fustrates me...why people why?? theres no need to start smoking so why do it?? if youre stressed bite into fruit or something....i dont know...

p.s i hate it when people smoke on buses...just because theyve decide to ruin their lives they wanna ruin other people's i really hate that and especially when people are smoking weed....hello if i wanna smell burning grass i will set my lawn on fire.....:rant: :rant:
Reply

Abdullah
04-22-2006, 08:55 PM
Originally Posted by hafizmo
im not quoting out of my opinion but in the opinion of the scholars of saudi who say its haram..and they use the quraan ayaat that I mentioned as their proof...............
:sl:

sorry bro, i taught you were using your own opionion, my mistake

Btw, there are also scholars that say smoking isnt haraam, depends how much you smoke.

smoking is bad for you...most people only start it due to peer pressure...it fustrates me so much that people smoke...its like hello you know its not good for you so why do it?? people say addiction....i say selfishness sorry...i mean when i will be treating patients with lung cancer as a result of smoking i wont be like a crazy wacko at them though.....its just fustrates me...why people why?? theres no need to start smoking so why do it?? if youre stressed bite into fruit or something....i dont know...

p.s i hate it when people smoke on buses...just because theyve decide to ruin their lives they wanna ruin other people's i really hate that and especially when people are smoking weed....hello if i wanna smell burning grass i will set my lawn on fire....
I completely agree the human actions are sometimes very confusing.
Reply

extinction
04-22-2006, 08:55 PM
Originally Posted by Hatshepsut
smoking is bad for you...most people only start it due to peer pressure...it fustrates me so much that people smoke...its like hello you know its not good for you so why do it?? people say addiction....i say selfishness sorry...i mean when i will be treating patients with lung cancer as a result of smoking i wont be like a crazy wacko at them though.....its just fustrates me...why people why?? theres no need to start smoking so why do it?? if youre stressed bite into fruit or something....i dont know...

p.s i hate it when people smoke on buses...just because theyve decide to ruin their lives they wanna ruin other people's i really hate that and especially when people are smoking weed....hello if i wanna smell burning grass i will set my lawn on fire.....:rant: :rant:
thank you!! someone who agrees its just stupid..........
Reply

Sister_6038
04-22-2006, 09:02 PM
I completely agree the human actions are sometimes very confusing.

thank you!! someone who agrees its just stupid..........
yep of course its stupid...theres nothing good which comes out of smoking if people are addicted why dont they get some form of nicotine thats not gonna kill others...yes i know that people die of many causes and so forth like pollution and all....i dont know...it just annoys me as i know so many people who regret smoking and its like i know people who have had cancer of other forms and they know how horrible...grr i dont know...i just dont know....
Reply

Abdullah
04-22-2006, 09:04 PM
Originally Posted by Hatshepsut
yep of course its stupid...theres nothing good which comes out of smoking if people are addicted why dont they get some form of nicotine thats not gonna kill others...yes i know that people die of many causes and so forth like pollution and all....i dont know...it just annoys me as i know so many people who regret smoking and its like i know people who have had cancer of other forms and they know how horrible...grr i dont know...i just dont know....
I humbly agree.
Reply

Guardian_angel
04-22-2006, 09:05 PM
Originally Posted by Hatshepsut
yep of course its stupid...theres nothing good which comes out of smoking if people are addicted why dont they get some form of nicotine thats not gonna kill others...yes i know that people die of many causes and so forth like pollution and all....i dont know...it just annoys me as i know so many people who regret smoking and its like i know people who have had cancer of other forms and they know how horrible...grr i dont know...i just dont know....
:sl:
i just dnt understand y ppl still smoke even though they know it kills
Reply

Abdullah
04-22-2006, 09:11 PM
Originally Posted by Guardian_angel
:sl:
i just dnt understand y ppl still smoke even though they know it kills
:sl:

yea i agree, i tihnk ppl do it either cuz of peer pressure such as "looking cool" and "feels good" but i tink they r just excuses. I think i should do a survery and find out why :hiding:
Reply

Sister_6038
04-22-2006, 09:11 PM
Originally Posted by Guardian_angel
:sl:
i just dnt understand y ppl still smoke even though they know it kills
same could be said about alcohol, drugs even overeating a lot of things people know yet they still do it....its a shame people conform to the wrong things....
Reply

freeze
04-22-2006, 11:18 PM
Smoking is haram, because in the Quran it says you should not consume anything that will hurt you. The money you spend on ciggerates could've been spent to the poor.
Reply

Nawal89
04-23-2006, 01:23 AM
^the computer wont kill you like smoking does.
Reply

Abdullah
04-23-2006, 01:35 AM
Salam,

I suggest everyone to read pages 5-7 to see if it is haram, freeze and Allah knows best
Reply

Muslimaatan
04-23-2006, 02:11 AM
yupp..Allah knows best!!
Reply

Khaldun
04-23-2006, 01:36 PM
:sl:

For the people who dont think its haram then I suggest you prepare your excuses to tell Allah the day your resurrected and with that...

On the day that Allah will raise them up all, then they will swear to Him as they swear to you, and they think that they have something; now surely they are the liars.

The Shaitan has gained the mastery over them, so he has made them forget the remembrance of Allah; they are the Shaitan's party; now surely the Shaitan's party are the losers.
[Surah Mujadilah Ayah 18-19]

:threadclo
Reply

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Sign Up

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 16
    Last Post: 04-24-2009, 07:52 PM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-08-2009, 08:23 AM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-24-2008, 05:16 PM
  4. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-24-2007, 04:00 PM

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!