/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Chatting with sisters in Net

Abdugafur
02-01-2006, 11:59 AM
Assalamu alaykum.

Is it permittable to chat with sisters in Internet? And is it possible to be friend with sisters by Net and keep chatting for a long time?

:brother:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
papa_smurf
02-01-2006, 12:08 PM
A simple answer.....No

Ahmad ibn Saleh
02-01-2006, 12:08 PM
Prove it

True LIBREAL
02-01-2006, 12:13 PM
look at them all cant speak on the phone so the chat on the net

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
mizan_aliashraf
02-01-2006, 12:13 PM
This is HARAAM!

Ahmad ibn Saleh
02-01-2006, 12:14 PM
Prove it...

mizan_aliashraf
02-01-2006, 12:15 PM
Can you stop asking me to prove things? Scholars can say what they like, so the same applies

Ahmad ibn Saleh
02-01-2006, 12:15 PM
I do not take TAQLEED OF YOU... (no offense)

aamirsaab
02-01-2006, 12:17 PM
:sl:
format_quote Originally Posted by mizan_aliashraf
Salam
Can we not be hostile towards our brothers and sisters, i know its a tableeghi trait, but we dont appreciate it here
Wassalam
If by that you are refering to my post, let me explain.

He asked a question. someone answered. Someone else said "prove it" - impying that he is not satisified with that answer. Therefore, my reply was a counter-question. No hostility involved thank you.

Abdugafur
02-01-2006, 12:19 PM
Hi, brothers.

Th aim by chatting may be preaching Islam or there will be no harm to the borders of shariah. Why you prohibit it strongly? Can you bring any fatwo about it?

Else, I may be searching a girl with whom I may marry. While chatting I will be able to check how she is. Is it also prohibited?

mizan_aliashraf
02-01-2006, 12:24 PM
Else, I may be searching a girl with whom I may marry. While chatting I will be able to check how she is. Is it also prohibited?[/QUOTE]

Yes, to my knowledge, and the opinions of the scholars at the Islamic University in Madinah. They say that this new revolution of 'Islamic Dating Agencies' is completely forbidden. I will try and post the fatwa soon inshallah
Wassalam

anis_z24
02-01-2006, 12:26 PM
Can you stop asking me to prove things? Scholars can say what they like, so the same applies
Salam
brother I did not under stand what you are trying to point out.
Plus as for talking with sisters on the net, well it depends.
If you have work and your serious sure. But If you are there to have fun beware. You will get use to it online then when you see the opposite gender in real life you will forget and do what you did online. And no matter where the scholar is from who he is and what he did. When he says something he/she must prove it. otherwise anyone can say anything.

mizan_aliashraf
02-01-2006, 12:29 PM
Salam
I was joking. As i have already stated in this thread, it is FORBIDDEN to communicate with a member of the opposite sex (non-mahram) by means of the internet, phone, text or face to face. The fatwas are out there. Ill post some in the future, but look for yourself.
Wassalam

papa_smurf
02-01-2006, 12:30 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by anis_z24
Salam
brother I did not under stand what you are trying to point out.
Plus as for talking with sisters on the net, well it depends.
It's totally haraam, it depends on nothing.

aamirsaab
02-01-2006, 12:32 PM
It depends on who the sister actually is. People have different opinions about this - including sheiks. The only difference is that more people tend to follow the sheik rather than a person. I wouldn't recommend you chat with sisters - it's practically prohibited in face to face, so it would be logical to apply this ruling to all kinds of communication.
However, as a brother rightly pointed out, the female may be a future wife (as in wife-to-be-tomorrow) In which case, you are allowed to communicate with her. As far as preaching goes, well if it don't work in face-to-face, it aint gonna happen over msn.

Tilmeez
02-01-2006, 12:41 PM
This is HARAAM!
Communication with Na Mahraam girlz is not appriciated in Islam specially ALONE. Net chatting is also the same thing. the only difference is u can't see each other(in most cases u can see now WEBCAMS.) Prophet (PBUH) says: when one man and a woman are setting alone somewhere the satan is the third one between them.

Banning with this much strict word is not suggestible. A lot of :sister:s are here in the forum and we do communicate with them.

One may talk to girlz or girlz may talk to boys only in the limitations set by the religion. :?

Halima
02-01-2006, 12:47 PM
Assalaam Alaykum.

Here is the ruling on Chat between brothers and sisters.

You must limit yourself to Internet chat. Do not use voice in your conversations with these women. If you restrict yourself to Internet chat, I think it is alright for you to communicate with them on serious issues relating to Islam, especially if they may not have any other source for such information.

However, beware of going further by using voice, photos or by being attracted by Satan to discuss more and more unnecessary things.

And Allah knows best.

anis_z24
02-01-2006, 12:47 PM
Salam
nice brother well answered.
We must be aware of this issue.

I mean both of you.

Rabi'ya
02-01-2006, 12:57 PM

when answering questions liket his can you please adhere to the following forum rule...

18. Do not say "Islam says X" unless your position is based upon sound evidence - which means the Qur'an and the Sunnah. Always cite your sources. If quoting the Qur'an, give suroorat (chapter) and ayah (verse) number. For ahadeeth, you must the name of the collection, volume/book number and hadeeth number. Unless you quoting from an agreed-upon authenthic collection (i.e. Bukharee, Muslim) you must also provide authenthic information.

jazakAllah kheir

:w:

Rabi'ya:rose:

sis_fisabil'Allah
02-01-2006, 01:25 PM
i personally think that its haram reason being; cz their is a hadith that says when 2 of the opposite sex are alone the third person is the Shaitan, im sure many of us clearly no this bt we try to mke excuses 4 ourselves. Let's b real wid 1 n other if its 4 "education" nd we need help 4 our wrk is there jst dat 1 female/ sista dat kn provide dis help, da answer is... NO! im sure if u rly wnted dat help nd u had fear of Allah in u den ud wnt help da correct nd Halal way, by aksing da same sex as you! another thing is dat we mke da deen an excuse, we cum wid da lamest excuses "Oh, da sista/ brother needs help wid islam", or "wer jst tlkin about da deen", REALISTICALLY, hw lng will it b till ur conversations r nt about Islam, or hw lng will it be till da Shaitan whispers in ur ears, we all no dat it wnt b lng! :w: :peace:

Selising
02-01-2006, 01:39 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by aamirsaab
However, as a brother rightly pointed out, the female may be a future wife (as in wife-to-be-tomorrow) In which case, you are allowed to communicate with her. As far as preaching goes, well if it don't work in face-to-face, it aint gonna happen over msn.
If u really wants to marry her. What if u only making survey and she really hope that you wants to marry her. You are giving false hope. And she keep dreaming and sometimes forgot how many rakaah she had perfom in her solah

ghurabaa2000
02-01-2006, 01:51 PM
I am a sister, who usually logs in to Paltalk and then goes to the Islamic rooms so that I may gain some knowledge related to our religion. Sometimes while I am in one of those Islamic rooms in Paltalk,a muslim brother(looking for a wife) in the room asks me to have a private written chat with him so that we get to know one another. Some of the questions he asks me are: where i live, my age, whether i am married(by the way I am not married), if I am planning to get marry, whether I live with my parents, and so on. My problem is, I don't know whether I am allowed(Islamicly) to give non-muharim brother those kinds of informations which related to me.
Is it really SIN to talk to a brother in writing ??.

Answer :

Praise be to Allaah.

There is nothing wrong with a Muslim woman making use of the internet and entering the Paltalk website for that purpose, so long as that does not lead to anything that is forbidden in Islam, such as talking privately with men. That is because talking to men may turn into chat which usually leads temptation. Hence it is essential to be strict and avoid that, seeking the pleasure of Allaah and fearing His punishment.

How often have these conversations lead to bad results, and even caused people to fall in love, and have led some to do things that are even more serious than that. The Shaytaan makes each of them imagine attractive qualities in other, which leads them to develop an attachment that detrimental to their spiritual welfare and worldly affairs.

Sharee’ah blocks all the ways that may lead to fitnah (temptation, trial), hence it forbids softness of speech and does not allow a man to be alone with a non-mahram woman. Undoubtedly these private chats are not regarded as khulwah in the sense that he people involved cannot see one another, but they are one of the greatest causes of fitnah as is well known.

What has happened to you is the best testimonial to the truth of what we are saying, because it is difficult for a man to ask these personal questions of a believing woman, unless he uses these means that are being used in a bad way.

Fear Allaah, and do not speak to non-mahram men. This is safer for your religious commitment and purer for your heart. You should note that marriage to a righteous man is a blessing from Allaah, and a blessing cannot be acquired by means of sin.

Shaykh Ibn Jibreen (may Allaah preserve him) was asked: What is the ruling on correspondence between young men and women, if this correspondence is free from immorality and love?

He replied:

It is not permissible for any man to correspond with a woman who is not his mahram, because of the fitnah (temptation) involved in that. A person may think that there is no fitnah, but the Shaytaan will keep trying until he tempts him. The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) commanded those who heard of the Dajjaal to keep away from him, and said that a man may approach him as a believer, but the Dajjaal will keep trying until he leads him astray.

Correspondence between young men and women involves a great deal of fitnah and danger, so we must avoid it, even though the questioner says that this correspondence is free from immorality and love.

From Fataawa al-Mar’ah, compiled by Muhammad al-Musnad, p. 96.

Undoubtedly correspondence via chat rooms is more dangerous than correspondence by mail, but both are bad.

And Allaah knows best.

aZn_pLayGurL
02-01-2006, 02:29 PM
So isiT HaRaam aM cOnfUzzLed :wub:

aamirsaab
02-01-2006, 03:00 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Selising
If u really wants to marry her. What if u only making survey and she really hope that you wants to marry her. You are giving false hope. And she keep dreaming and sometimes forgot how many rakaah she had perfom in her solah
What on earth are you talking about lady?

The same rules apply on internet as they do in face-to-face with regards to chatting with opposite sex - it's not a fatwa (well not that i'm aware of), it's common sense = applying logic to another situation - how many people would benefit from this :).

P.s. You are all aware that on this forum we are talkin to members of opposite sex - just thought I'd point that out to you.

aZn_pLayGurL
02-01-2006, 04:18 PM
So wat bwt if i sed i wan2 marru aamirsaab *which i dont** ju tryna say is permi$$able? Haiiiiiii :p

aamirsaab
02-01-2006, 05:41 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by aZn_pLayGurL
So wat bwt if i sed i wan2 marru aamirsaab *which i dont** ju tryna say is permi$$able? Haiiiiiii :p
Wow, marriage proposal already? :p
I'm no sheik or anything, all I was saying is that it is logical to apply the ruling to internet :). The ruling in this case is chatting to sisters. However, in the event of one wanting to marry another, it might be better to ask that person's parents. Also, online nikha isnt permissable. Learnt that from maniacmuslim ;D

fantaxxy_moon
02-01-2006, 11:10 PM
but i think it is ok, and better than talking face to face because they don't see each other and they talk about good topics so it is good and much better..:)
format_quote Originally Posted by aamirsaab
It depends on who the sister actually is. People have different opinions about this - including sheiks. The only difference is that more people tend to follow the sheik rather than a person. I wouldn't recommend you chat with sisters - it's practically prohibited in face to face, so it would be logical to apply this ruling to all kinds of communication.

Tasneem
02-01-2006, 11:13 PM
No you cant chat with the opposite sex

Like it really all depends how your talking to them

What are you talking about?

And how are you talking to them?

SaLaMz

- Qatada -
02-01-2006, 11:19 PM
Wa `alaykum As-Salamu wa Rahmatullahi wa Barakatuh.

In the Name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful.

All praise and thanks are due to Allah, and peace and blessings be upon His Messenger.

Chatting with members of opposite sex, whether they are Muslims or non-Muslims, personally face to face, or on phone or chat lines all fall in the same category. The haram of it is haram, and the halal of it is halal.

Islam does not allow Muslims to be befriending members of opposite sex for the sake of companionship or for casual conversations; it has been forbidden because of its risks; it may entail isolation, lead to unlawful flirting, and engender unlawful thoughts, desires or lusts.

However, occasional, serious, business-like conversations with the members of the opposite sex are considered lawful, just as they are lawful when done face to face so long as one observes the Islamic ethics of interaction.

Islam teaches that as Muslims we must shun not only that which is clearly haram, but also everything that creates agitation or doubt or restlessness in our souls. The Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) said: “Sin is that which causes agitation in your heart or mind; whereas virtue is that which the heart is content and at peace about!” (Reported by Ahmad)

So engaging in unnecessary chatting may lead to unforeseen consequences. It may also engender doubts and suspicions in our minds as well in the minds of others. So we are best advised to shun them altogether in the first place in order to safeguard our religion and honor. The Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) said: “Halal is clear; haram is clear, but there are certain cases which are dubious or doubtful; whoever shuns them safeguards his religion and honor; whoever falls into them risks falling into haram like a shepherd who lets his herd graze around the forbidden territory, for it may thus encroach upon the forbidden territory!” (Reported by Al-Bukhari and Muslim).

Excerpted, with slight modifications, from: www.islam.ca

You can also read:

Internet Chats Between Males and Females

Advice to Muslims Who Visit Chat Rooms

Talking with Members of the Opposite Sex

Talking Intimately With the Opposite Sex

Allah Almighty knows best.

source: http://www.islamonline.net/servlet/S...atwaE%2FFatwaE

:salamext:

Far7an
02-01-2006, 11:28 PM

Jazakallahu khayran for posting that Bro. Fs. With issues such as these, it is important we seek advice from those who have knowledge, at times we may say something which contradicts Islam.

P.s. You are all aware that on this forum we are talkin to members of opposite sex - just thought I'd point that out to you.
I believe the person who posted the question in the initial post is reffering to chatting using instant messengers, such as MSN or Yahoo etc. And not forums. The two are alone when talking in private, it is a different case.

Mainul_Islam
02-02-2006, 01:16 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Halima
Assalaam Alaykum.

Here is the ruling on Chat between brothers and sisters.

You must limit yourself to Internet chat. Do not use voice in your conversations with these women. If you restrict yourself to Internet chat, I think it is alright for you to communicate with them on serious issues relating to Islam, especially if they may not have any other source for such information.

However, beware of going further by using voice, photos or by being attracted by Satan to discuss more and more unnecessary things.

And Allah knows best.

sis Halima's quote said it well... (i remember reading that in a fatwa)

its NOT HARAM, but there are LIMITS

akulion
02-02-2006, 01:22 AM
yes Alhamdolillah - goot quote sis

I chat with many sisters and brothers on Yahoo messenger

but its never like "chat till hours and days non stop talking romance"

its mostly "salam alaikum, how are you, do you know this or that thing?"

and then we just go do our life things

its not chit chat - its all about discussing issues and topics usually

infact we even sometimes hold chat rooms in paltalk and form an islamic room and have topics and discuss many things.

So i dont believe its haram either but has its limits.

Far7an
02-02-2006, 10:09 AM

Sister Halima, may I ask where you got that ruling from?

Khaldun
02-02-2006, 10:18 AM

"And, for what your tongues describe, do not utter the lie, (saying) This is halal and this is haram, in order to forge a lie against Allah; surely those who forge the lie against Allah shall not prosper." [Surah Nahl verse 116]

Be careful of what you utter brothers and sisters if you do not have knowledge about a certain thing it is not embarssing to just be silent or to say I dont know, rather its foolish trying to explain it without knowledge youll decieve alot of brothers and sisters and if they practise upon what you have said then the sin is upon you aswell, take heed inshAllah

Far7an
02-02-2006, 10:34 AM

The reason I asked sister Halima where she got it from, are for a couple of reasons.

1. Is the site reliable?
  2. What was the question, and the context of the answer? What you quoted may have been taken out of context.
I think it was Ibn Al Qayyim who said, an act which leads to a haraam act, is haraam in itself.

We hear time and time again, stories of those who have been treated unjustly on the internet. And many other disturbing stories.

This rule is applied widely, noone can be excused, and if you feel you can excuse yourself, what is your justification?

Another thing which has to be taken into consideration, is the following hadith.

The Prophet (sallallaahu ‘alaihi wa sallam)aid: “No man is alone with a (non-mahram) woman, but Shayt saan will be the third among them.” (Reported by al-Tirmidhi, 3/474)

I am sure we have all heard this hadith, many many times over...

We can not simply do something, and the justification be "I think...". Our opinions count for nothing in islam.

Rabi'ya
02-02-2006, 10:43 AM
I think it was Ibn Al Qayyim who said, an act which leads to a haraam act, is haraam in itself.
so me as a sister, working in a call centre is haram because it leads to me talking to non-mehram ?!?

Far7an
02-02-2006, 11:27 AM
so me as a sister, working in a call centre is haram because it leads to me talking to non-mehram ?!?
wa alaikumusalaam

There are shurut (conditions) when talking to non-mehrams. Firstly if there is no valid reason for talking to them, it should be avoided. In your case, it is your occupation, so it is a different matter.

Also, when speaking to them, there are certain ahkaam (rulings) which need to be adhered to. Such as, you must maintain a stern tone of voice, no joking is allowed etc. This is a seperate topic in itself.

What I was reffering to, was chatting online. This is not compulsory, nor is it a source of income.

Rabi'ya
02-02-2006, 11:47 AM
i kinda thought the statement was a large generalisation

jazakAllah for explaining

M H Kahn
02-17-2006, 05:05 PM
I think the intention that one bears in his/her mind in chatting with a person of opposite gender will matter the most in making one's action valid or invalid. Even if the two cannot see each other, either of them or both may still feel a romantic urge for each other.:offended:

Inshallah
02-18-2006, 06:30 AM
If the talk is halal i believe so.

Muhammad
02-18-2006, 04:47 PM

Please see the following thread, which has many quotations from Scholars on the issue:

http://www.islamicboard.com/basics-i...uidelines.html

Saifadin_Qutuz
02-19-2006, 01:06 AM
everything depends on your soul an intention my friend :)

Sub-Zero
02-19-2006, 04:06 AM
last time I checked koran doesn't mention anything about chatting on the internet :D

Muhammad
03-07-2006, 07:40 PM

It does, however, provide guidelines on how to interact with the opposite gender, as does the Sunnah.

renak
03-09-2006, 06:56 AM
I am unsure if it is unacceptable to chat online with members of the opposite sex. I suppose I'm Christian and never thought of such conversations as forbidden. However, I want to let the ladies know that it has been my experience (over the last five years) that the majority of men on Christian and Muslim dating sites tend to lure women into IM chatting with the intention of "cybersex". They typically start out very kind and respectful before conducting themself in a sexual manner.

I also want to point out that this has been the experience of ALL my girlfriends. I guess I'm just warnnig any young females who have honest intentions.

Tasneem
03-09-2006, 04:09 PM
Yes i agree^

That has happened to me alot of times first they are all nice and then they ask for sex!And you know the sad things is sometimes it would be ''muslims''.

You know thats ridiculous and uncalled for.

I mean why would somebody do that?!

And i just say,'' you know i dont have time for that...

sargon
03-09-2006, 04:35 PM
I'm a teacher in a university, so it's OK to teach a class with both males and females right? I think from the conversation it would be fine but I'm not sure.

M H Kahn
03-10-2006, 08:49 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Tasneem

That has happened to me alot of times first they are all nice and then they ask for sex!And you know the sad things is sometimes it would be ''muslims''.
You know thats ridiculous and uncalled for.
I mean why would somebody do that?!
How's that ? May Allah guide all Muslims in the path of the enlightened !

:hiding:

Khayal
02-07-2007, 03:02 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Fi_Sabilillah
Wa `alaykum As-Salamu wa Rahmatullahi wa Barakatuh.

In the Name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful.

All praise and thanks are due to Allah, and peace and blessings be upon His Messenger.

Chatting with members of opposite sex, whether they are Muslims or non-Muslims, personally face to face, or on phone or chat lines all fall in the same category. The haram of it is haram, and the halal of it is halal.

Islam does not allow Muslims to be befriending members of opposite sex for the sake of companionship or for casual conversations; it has been forbidden because of its risks; it may entail isolation, lead to unlawful flirting, and engender unlawful thoughts, desires or lusts.

However, occasional, serious, business-like conversations with the members of the opposite sex are considered lawful, just as they are lawful when done face to face so long as one observes the Islamic ethics of interaction.

Islam teaches that as Muslims we must shun not only that which is clearly haram, but also everything that creates agitation or doubt or restlessness in our souls. The Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) said: “Sin is that which causes agitation in your heart or mind; whereas virtue is that which the heart is content and at peace about!” (Reported by Ahmad)

So engaging in unnecessary chatting may lead to unforeseen consequences. It may also engender doubts and suspicions in our minds as well in the minds of others. So we are best advised to shun them altogether in the first place in order to safeguard our religion and honor. The Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) said: “Halal is clear; haram is clear, but there are certain cases which are dubious or doubtful; whoever shuns them safeguards his religion and honor; whoever falls into them risks falling into haram like a shepherd who lets his herd graze around the forbidden territory, for it may thus encroach upon the forbidden territory!” (Reported by Al-Bukhari and Muslim).

Excerpted, with slight modifications, from: www.islam.ca

You can also read:

Internet Chats Between Males and Females

Advice to Muslims Who Visit Chat Rooms

Talking with Members of the Opposite Sex

Talking Intimately With the Opposite Sex

Allah Almighty knows best.

source: http://www.islamonline.net/servlet/S...atwaE%2FFatwaE
:salamext:

JazakAllah khair Brother for the beneficial sharing.

Natural
03-09-2007, 01:07 AM
Now my imam told me that the internet maybe my best option. Although I live in an area where there are not many muslims, I was very surprised to get this advice from him. Insha'Allah I will have a more indepth conversation with him about this,

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.