/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Distance of Love and Fear

*charisma*
02-02-2006, 12:46 AM
Assalamu Alaikum

Yea too many "love" threads going on, so no this has nothing to do with marriage, but infact a thoughtful question that inshallah might work out our intellect and wisdom.

Someone asked me this one question a long time ago, and honestly I was befumbled on how to answer it, remembering this a few days ago i decided to do some research.

Found this pretty gud article, however, I have briefed it extremely and I changed some of it a bit, added the arabic instead of just the translation as it is more accurate and precise than the translation itself.

Fear (Al-Khawf) of Allah

Fear of Allah is one of the highest and best levels in Islam. It is one of the best forms of worship which Allah has commanded be directed to Him and only to Him. Allah uses various words meaning fear and commands that all of them be directed to Him alone. Among them are:

*Khawf - fear or dread. Focuses more on the mind state of fear than khashya.

*Khashya - same as above. Focuses also on the actions which result from this fear.

*Rahba - fear or dread but also the concept of feeling alarmed or terrorized or intimidated

*Ishfaaq - anxiety, worry or aprehension

e.g. of Khawf:

003.173 الَّذِينَ قَالَ لَهُمُ النَّاسُ إِنَّ النَّاسَ قَدْ جَمَعُوا لَكُمْ فَاخْشَوْهُمْ فَزَادَهُمْ إِيمَانًا وَقَالُوا حَسْبُنَا اللَّهُ وَنِعْمَ الْوَكِيلُ
003.174 فَانْقَلَبُوا بِنِعْمَةٍ مِنَ اللَّهِ وَفَضْلٍ لَمْ يَمْسَسْهُمْ سُوءٌ وَاتَّبَعُوا رِضْوَانَ اللَّهِ وَاللَّهُ ذُو فَضْلٍ عَظِيمٍ
003.175 إِنَّمَا ذَلِكُمُ الشَّيْطَانُ يُخَوِّفُ أَوْلِيَاءَهُ فَلا تَخَافُوهُمْ وَخَافُونِ إِنْ كُنْتُمْ مُؤْمِنِينَ

Those to whom the people said: "The people have gathered against you so fear them." So that increased them in faith and they said: "Allah is sufficient for us and He is the best of Protectors." (173)

And so they returned with a great gift from Allah and bounty. No harm touched them. They sought the pleasure of Allah and Allah is the possessor of great bounty indeed. (174)

That is nothing but shaitaan who inspires fear of his allies. So do not fear them and fear me if you are truly believers. (175)

Love (Mahabah) of Allah

The true meaning of worship is the completeness of love and the completeness of submission to Allah Most High. Love of Allah is by taking Him as Deity and Sovereign and by submitting our will, drives and inclinations to Allah. This love is the foundation of Islam and requires and is inseparable from fear of Allah and his punishment and hope for the forgiveness and mercy of Allah. In this sense, this love is not befitting to any others besides Allah. So, whoever loves something other than Allah as one should love Allah or greater than that becomes one of those who have set up rivals or equals to Allah. Allah said:

وَمِنَ النَّاسِ مَنْ يَتَّخِذُ مِنْ دُونِ اللَّهِ أَنْدَادًا يُحِبُّونَهُمْ كَحُبِّ اللَّهِ وَالَّذِينَ آمَنُوا أَشَدُّ حُبًّا لِلَّهِ وَلَوْ يَرَى الَّذِينَ ظَلَمُوا إِذْ يَرَوْنَ الْعَذَابَ أَنَّ الْقُوَّةَ لِلَّهِ جَمِيعًا وَأَنَّ اللَّهَ شَدِيدُ الْعَذَابِ

002.165 Yet there are men who take (for worship) others besides Allah, as equal (with Allah): They love them as they should love Allah. But those of Faith are overflowing in their love for Allah. If only the unrighteous could see, behold, they would see the penalty: that to Allah belongs all power, and Allah will strongly enforce the penalty.

whole article

And Questions for everyone are:

1. Do you love Allah more than you fear him, do you fear Him more than you love him, or is it equal?

2. How can you Love something that you Fear?

3. Which is more important: Loving Allah, or fearing Him?

4. Using the Muslim's of today's society as an example, would you say we Love Allah more than we fear Him, Fear him more than we love Him, both seem to be equal, or neither? and state the reasons why you think so Insha'Allah

**just a reminder to everyone everyone, plz post your dalil/evidence/proof when necessary

fi aman Allah
w'salaam

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
sapphire
02-02-2006, 01:03 AM
subhanallah excellent post mashallah!!jazakallah for tht!!the questions have really got me thinking!!

akulion
02-02-2006, 01:09 AM
But isnt Khauf = fear out of terror?

I thought that the best form of fear is Taqwa - Fear out of love

*charisma*
02-02-2006, 01:46 AM
Assalamu Alaikum

very true ekhi, although I only put up the article as a brief synopsis for the questions :)

"And make provision for yourselves; the best provision is taqwa". 2:197.

There isnt an equivalent in english for the word 'taqwa' because it has a very deep meaning and is mentioned in the Quran many times subhanallah.

"It is not righteousness that you turn your faces towards the East and the West, righteousness is rather one who believes in Allah, the Last day, the angels, the Book, the apostles, and gives his wealth out of love for Him to the near kin and the orphans, the poor, the waifarer, the needy and for those in bondage; and establishes prayer, pays the poor-rate (Zakat); and those who fulfil their promise when they make a promise, the patient ones in distress and affliction and in the time of war these are they who are the truthful and these are theyn who have taqwa". 2:177.

Here we learn that taqwa cannot be reduced to the performance of religious rites, but that it requires faith (Iman) and practice performed out of love for Allah. With respect to animal sacrifice, it is written that neither their flesh nor their blood reaches Allah, (but taqwa from you reaches Allah) (22:37). This awareness which is Taqwa is to be found in the heart, and by means of it the signs, symbols and rites ordained by Allah may be properly respected:

"And that whoever respects the symbols of Allah, it is from the taqwa of the hearts" (22:35).

source
But isnt Khauf = fear out of terror
It says that up there, cept they use the word dread, which means the same thing...

fi aman Allah
w'salaam

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
akulion
02-02-2006, 02:22 AM
oh oki doki sis

jazak Allah khair :D

anis_z24
02-02-2006, 02:50 AM
Salam
When you love someone you will fear to displease them. Also thats why when ever Mohamad(pbuh) mentioned Islam to someone he always said things that helps that someone love Allah. When the person loves Allah they will also fear him.
Thats only what I think. Can you ask islamonline.net
Thank You

*charisma*
02-02-2006, 03:25 AM
Assalamu Alaikum

wa iyak bro aku

ekhi anis_z, these are only opinionated questions :)

fi aman Allah
w'salaam

M H Kahn
02-02-2006, 10:09 AM
Fear may be of a few categories. People fear an oppressor and always hate him in the mind. A child loves its parents and fears that they may be displeased if it commits any misdeed.This is fear from the apprehension of incuring displeasure of loved ones.

I think we should love and revere Allah and obey what He and His prophet have ordained for us, and fear Him at the same time in that he may be displeased if we commit mistakes. But in that case, we should not be hopeless.We shall seek His forgiveness with hope and fear. Allah says:

Pray to Him with fear and hope. Surely the mercy of Allah is always close to those who do good to others. [7:54-56]

O believers! Remember Allah as a frequent remembrance, and glorify Him morning and evening.[33:41-42]

Therefore, remember Me, and, I will remember you, be grateful to Me and never deny Me. [2:152]

O’ you who believe! Seek My help with patience and prayer: surely, Allah is with those who are patient. [2:153]

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.