/* */

PDA

View Full Version : 'Kama Sutra' computer virus set to strike Friday

anis_z24
02-02-2006, 11:44 PM

'Kama Sutra' computer virus set to strike Friday

Updated Thu. Feb. 2 2006 6:24 PM ET
var byString = ""; var sourceString = "CTV.ca News Staff"; if ((sourceString != "") && (byString != "")) { document.write(byString + ", "); } else { document.write(byString); }CTV.ca News Staff
Experts are warning that a seductively-named but maliciously-behaving computer worm -- dubbed "Kama Sutra" -- is set to wreak havoc Friday on systems worldwide.
Computer security companies report that the Kama Sutra worm -- named after the famous Sanskrit treatise on love and sexual positions -- has been spreading through cyberspace since Jan. 16, packaged in emails with subject headings like "give me a kiss" and "crazy illegal sex."
When users click on an attachment sent with the emails, their computers become infected with malicious software designed to replicate itself. The worm burrows itself deep within any infected computer running Microsoft Windows XP, Windows 2000, Windows 98 and Windows ME operating systems.
On Friday, Feb. 3 and the third of every month thereafter, the worm is programmed to go to work -- overwriting or corrupting Microsoft Windows Office documents, Word documents, Excel spread sheets, and PDF (portable document format) files.
"This one can damage your office files, your Microsoft Excel spreadsheets and your Powerpoint presentation," Tino Klironomos, a computer retailer, said. "(The files will be) all gone, history."
The computer security company LURHQ reports that there may be hundreds of thousands of machines already infected with the worm, which also goes by the monikers "BlackWorm," "CME-24," "Blackmal," "Mywife.E" and "Nyxem."
But security companies assure that it's not too late to protect your system from such a fate.
Prevention
Alain Sergile, a security expert at Internet Security Systems (ISS) in Atlanta, said computer users should arm themselves with anti-virus software "which basically protects them from worms, self-propagating worms."
"There are some free applications out there as well that allow you to scan your computer for spyware," he added.
People can also protect themselves by ensuring they have the most up-to-date anti-virus and firewall protection.
Besides being careful about opening email messages and attachments, experts say users would be wise to back up their most valuable computer files on an external device such as a CD, zip drive or DVD.
Don't open any messages with the subject headers "crazy, illegal sex", "give me a kiss" and "hot movie."
The worm will not affect machines running on different operating systems such as Mac OS.

http://www.ctv.ca/news

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
shanu
02-03-2006, 12:17 AM
thanks 4 da warning

*charisma*
02-03-2006, 12:27 AM
Assalamu Alaikum

so would anything still happen if you dont open the mail?
what if you try to delete it?

fia man Allah
w'salaam

*charisma*
02-03-2006, 01:17 AM
Assalamu Alaikum

no like seriously what wud happen :eek:
this boy mentioned it in our class, cept i dont think anyone believed him...

fi aman Allah
w'salaam

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
akulion
02-03-2006, 01:43 AM
ALWAYS REMEMBER

DO NOT ACCEPT FILES & EMAILS FROM STRANGERS

NO MATTER WHAT THE SUBJECT SAYS!!

FOR MORE INFORMATION CLICK HERE AND DOWNLOAD THIS FILE

Nabal12
02-03-2006, 01:54 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by akulion
ALWAYS REMEMBER

format_quote Originally Posted by akulion
ALWAYS REMEMBER

Okay I'll take your advice....so I wont be downloading that file yet. You never know whats on it.:okay:

I heard about all this on CTV news too. I might seem a bit clueless when I ask this, but how do they know when its coming out? How do they know anything about it for that matter? It came out a while ago but how do they know about whats happening tomorrow?

akulion
02-03-2006, 01:57 AM
lool bro

but u did click it didnt u? :p

Nabal12
02-03-2006, 02:02 AM
No, not yet. But my questions are still up there. By the way, how do you edit posts? I hate when I write things twice.

akulion
02-03-2006, 02:08 AM
oohh i just noticed ur a new member

so i think u cant edit ur own posts yet

u have to have a certian number of posts b4 u can

---------------------------
ur Q:
I dunno how they know

but my bro highly suspects that in order to sell their anti virus programs they themselves keep creating these worms and viruses

its a theory

so who knows

Christina
02-03-2006, 05:08 PM
Yeah, I heard a little bit about from a classmate this Tuesday. I hope it's just a spoof.

Muezzin
02-03-2006, 05:28 PM
Is this the same as that 'Nylex' virus or whatever it's called?

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.