/* */

PDA

View Full Version : free speech vs censorship

Moples
02-03-2006, 03:30 PM
Hey everyone. I can understand how those cartoons may be insulting. I used to have a religion myself back when my neighbors converted me to Christianity for a little while. However as a very patriotic American I consider the rights to privacy, keep and bear arms, and especially free speech to be of the utmost importance, far above the want people have to feel warm and fuzzy all the time. That of course is why I consider a certain American leader to be a traitor to the Constitution and people of the United States.

American politics aside though, what do yall think? Do you want censorship?

Upon a cursory glance there seem to be some crazy jihadists/jihadist wannabes. I'm sorry that the Europeans(I'm just guessing that's where most of yall reside) are an ignorant racist bunch, and that there's not as much opportunity as there is in a more open and prosperous like the US or Canada. You can't tread on the rights of others because they made you feel bad though. American Muslims are very capable of understanding free speech, and all Americans are culturally richer because of their presence. Just know, if you don't embrace freedom, you'll never be in the least bit welcome in a free society. Also a certain saying comes to mind... "Vote with your dollar(euro/whatever)". In a place like Western Europe, US, Japan, etc that's really your only good choice.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
akulion
02-03-2006, 03:41 PM
well if someone says something like "your mother is a #%^54 #$%^#$%^" (replace symbols with really ride words" and then publishes them in a news paper

THAT is not freedom of speech - thats just plain cussing and agression

This move done by the newspapers is active agression against muslims

Ghazi
02-03-2006, 03:53 PM
Salaam

Freedom speech I call that Sheer Racism.

Salaam
02-03-2006, 03:59 PM
Salaam,

There must be a limit on freedom On Speech...

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Ghazi
02-03-2006, 04:00 PM
Salaam

Freedom of speech is okay as long as it aint offensive

akulion
02-03-2006, 04:01 PM
walikum salam

as we can see the hatered coming from the mouth of the Danish Queen already as she has declared a war on Islam openly now

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main...5/ixworld.html

Ghazi
02-03-2006, 04:04 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by akulion
walikum salam

as we can see the hatered coming from the mouth of the Danish Queen already as she has declared a war on Islam openly now

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main...5/ixworld.html
Salaam

Did she actually decalre war against us, I heard she been bad mouthing us.

Moples
02-03-2006, 04:04 PM
If it's just insults, it's perfectly legal. It might be cussing, although I think of aggression as being physical. Free speech of course does have limits. You can't yell that there's a fire if there's not because of public safety, or blatantly lie about someone as that's slander. Many combinations of obscenities and insults though are allowed, and I wouldn't have it any other way. I love watching parody shows that insult politicians I don't much care for.

Salaam
02-03-2006, 04:05 PM

Salaam,

The Boycoot has had an effect on them, thats why she is angry...

Ansar Al-'Adl
02-03-2006, 04:08 PM
Hi Moples and welcome to the forum,
We need to balance freedom of speech with the rights of others, and in fact this is something that western democracies have already incorporated into their law. Inciting hatred against a visible minority is illegal in many countries. Courts recognize the issue of slander for individuals, and the same holds for religion. The only difference is that with the latter you insult far more people. In western societies, people may have their freedom of expression limited for a number of reasons. One cannot appear nude in society because it is consider offensive to others.

In such a sensitive time, when there are already prevalent stereotypes and prejudice against Muslims and Islam, exercising one's 'freedom of expression' in such a manner is a terrible decision. Only through promoting understanding and tolerance in today's world will we be able to reverse the negative trends and achieve peace.

Regards

hasib
02-03-2006, 05:41 PM
:sl:

You know they are making mischeif and they know it too but just using freedom of speech as an excuse!

There was absolutely no need to print those cartoons!

:w:

Muezzin
02-03-2006, 05:51 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Moples
Hey everyone. I can understand how those cartoons may be insulting. I used to have a religion myself back when my neighbors converted me to Christianity for a little while. However as a very patriotic American I consider the rights to privacy, keep and bear arms, and especially free speech to be of the utmost importance, far above the want people have to feel warm and fuzzy all the time. That of course is why I consider a certain American leader to be a traitor to the Constitution and people of the United States.

American politics aside though, what do yall think? Do you want censorship?
Not at all. Only for freedom of speech to be excercised responsibly.

Upon a cursory glance there seem to be some crazy jihadists/jihadist wannabes. I'm sorry that the Europeans(I'm just guessing that's where most of yall reside) are an ignorant racist bunch, and that there's not as much opportunity as there is in a more open and prosperous like the US or Canada. You can't tread on the rights of others because they made you feel bad though.
I apologise if that's how it appears. I assure you I personally value freedom of speech - but not as an excuse to just say any offensive thing one would like to say. It's similar to the ways terrorists hide behind a legitimate religion, abusing it to their own ends.

American Muslims are very capable of understanding free speech, and all Americans are culturally richer because of their presence. Just know, if you don't embrace freedom, you'll never be in the least bit welcome in a free society. Also a certain saying comes to mind... "Vote with your dollar(euro/whatever)". In a place like Western Europe, US, Japan, etc that's really your only good choice.
Do the words 'Boycott on Danish Goods' mean anything to you? Not that it was a wise move. In fact, that boycott has probably exacerbated the situation.

Okay, just to clarify - I am not against freedom of speech. I only ask that it be used responsibly. I mean, hey, I could stand on a box and shout out 'GO KILL EVERY GREEN SKINNED MUTANT YOU SEE!', but then if I'm mobbed by Green Skinned Mutants, I can't really complain and say 'freedom of speech' can I?

akulion
02-03-2006, 07:49 PM
hey did u guys read the news?

The company Aria (Danish + Swedish) alone has lost 4- to 50 MILLION pounds since the boycott began and has had to lay off 170 workers!!

woo hoo

czgibson
02-03-2006, 08:12 PM
Greetings Moples,

Welcome to the forum. I agree with most of what you say, but:
format_quote Originally Posted by Moples
I'm sorry that the Europeans are an ignorant racist bunch
Eh?

You don't mean all Europeans, surely?

Peace

akulion
02-03-2006, 08:14 PM
man why cant they just apologize?

why do they wana inflame the issue further?

it shows their true intentions!!

Ghazi
02-03-2006, 08:29 PM
Salaam

People fear allah we should be uniting not fighting

Smok
02-03-2006, 09:21 PM
man why cant they just apologize?

why do they wana inflame the issue further?

it shows their true intentions!!
Because from our point of view they did nothing wrong. Also goverments can't force them to apologize. Freedom of speech. :)

sonz
02-03-2006, 09:24 PM
salama

i remember reading that Ali ibn Abu Talib (ra) said:

"The right of freedom of speech consists in speaking the truth"

its so true

Smok
02-03-2006, 10:40 PM
Can You say what is TRUE? One of polish poets said:
"Truth is like ass - everyone has it's own".
Sometimes we can't say what is true.

sumay28
02-04-2006, 02:52 AM
If you poke fun a Jew or a black person... you're in trouble. You're crossing the line!! But a muslim...."it's freedom of speech"

akulion
02-04-2006, 02:59 AM
Truth is that Mohammed (sa) is RECOGNIZED world wide as one of the most influential people who helped the world gorw

and to defame such a person
especially a person who is now dead

shows how pathetic these people are
and those who support them are in the same league as them

PATHETIC!

akulion
02-04-2006, 03:03 AM
Additionally lets take a look at what some of the famous historic figures have to say about him:

Gibbon in 'The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire' 1823
The good sense of Muhammad despised the pomp of royalty. The Apostle of God submitted to the menial offices of the family; he kindled the fire; swept the floor; milked the ewes; and mended with his own hands his shoes and garments. Disdaining the penance and merit of a hermit, he observed without effort of vanity the abstemious diet of an Arab.
Mahatma Gandhi, statement published in 'Young India,'1924.
I wanted to know the best of the life of one who holds today an undisputed sway over the hearts of millions of mankind.... I became more than ever convinced that it was not the sword that won a place for Islam in those days in the scheme of life. It was the rigid simplicity, the utter self-effacement of the Prophet the scrupulous regard for pledges, his intense devotion to his friends and followers, his intrepidity, his fearlessness, his absolute trust in God and in his own mission. These and not the sword carried everything before them and surmounted every obstacle. When I closed the second volume (of the Prophet's biography), I was sorry there was not more for me to read of that great life.
Michael Hart in 'The 100, A Ranking of the Most Influential Persons In History,' New York, 1978.
My choice of Muhammad to lead the list of the world’s most influential persons may surprise some readers and may be questioned by others, but he was the only man in history who was supremely successful on both the secular and religious level. ...It is probable that the relative influence of Muhammad on Islam has been larger than the combined influence of Jesus Christ and St. Paul on Christianity. ...It is this unparalleled combination of secular and religious influence which I feel entitles Muhammad to be considered the most influential single figure in human history.
Napolean Bonaparte as Quoted in Cherfils, ‘Bonaparte et Islam,’ Paris, France, pp. 105, 125.
"Moses has revealed the existence of God to his nation. Jesus Christ to the Roman world, Muhammad to the old continent...
"Arabia was idolatrous when, six centuries after Jesus, Muhammad introduced the worship of the God of Abraham, of Ishmael, of Moses, and Jesus. The Ariyans and some other sects had disturbed the tranquility of the east by agitating the question of the nature of the Father, the son, and the Holy Ghost. Muhammad declared that there was none but one God who had no father, no son and that the trinity imported the idea of idolatry...

"I hope the time is not far off when I shall be able to unite all the wise and educated men of all the countries and establish a uniform regime based on the principles of Qur'an which alone are true and which alone can lead men to happiness."
Sir George Bernard Shaw in 'The Genuine Islam,' Vol. 1, No. 8, 1936.
"If any religion had the chance of ruling over England, nay Europe within the next hundred years, it could be Islam."
"I have always held the religion of Muhammad in high estimation because of its wonderful vitality. It is the only religion which appears to me to possess that assimilating capacity to the changing phase of existence which can make itself appeal to every age. I have studied him - the wonderful man and in my opinion far from being an anti-Christ, he must be called the Savior of Humanity."

"I believe that if a man like him were to assume the dictatorship of the modern world he would succeed in solving its problems in a way that would bring it the much needed peace and happiness: I have prophesied about the faith of Muhammad that it would be acceptable to the Europe of tomorrow as it is beginning to be acceptable to the Europe of today."

mahdisoldier19
02-05-2006, 02:35 AM
Salam Alaikam

Man no such thing as any freedom for a true Muslim these days in America and thats a fact(from my point of view). Anyone in NY knows what happens when a Shiekh moolah or Imam walks down the street. People stare at him look at him like a terrorist. Thats just my experiences of what i seen and people bad mouth. And when i hear that shiekh bad mouth the govt. Boom 3 years in a federal detention center.

Umu 'Isa
02-05-2006, 03:01 AM
here in australia a muslim man said there is nothing wrong with osama bin laden - surely thats freedom of speech but uno what happened to him. He was arrested and only God knows whats happened to him now.
Why is it double standards when it comes to muslims?

mahdisoldier19
02-05-2006, 03:03 AM
Salam Alaikam

Well dont worry Inshallah there will be a day where everyone will be begging they were Muslim, and the muslims will be begging they were better muslims INshallah. Everyone knows what day im talking about :P if you dont then um its ok bro or sis heh

Sabeel
02-05-2006, 05:00 AM
commenting on the freedom of speech... in islam people have rights.. alhamdulillah we have been prescribed the rights in all aspects of life.. but we have limits with everything.. and these limits which are ordained by islam, if u analyze, are essential so that one does not overstep into other persons rights and freedom..
the same can be applied to any freedom one wants in this world.. every freedom would have a limit and a rule to it... for eg. take another freedom.. say freedom of travel... u have your country in which u are free to travel in.. but if at any point u travel into a private or a restricted area..u are tresspassing...
i feel this is applicable to any aspect of life.. and if want to find the ultimate balance of all of it.. then it is what is prescribed by islam... since allah swt is the creator and all-knower.. his word is the best possible guide on what is good and bad...
:w:

Moples
02-06-2006, 01:34 AM
I have to admit that my first post was intended to "test the waters". It seems to me that yall selectively support freedom of speech. The fact that many Muslims across the world are enraged by this sickens me. What they should be enraged about is the islamo-fascists and extremists decapitating schoolgirls and journalists, not a small insult to their own religion. You do realize it's because of general muslim tolerance of extremism and failure to embrace freedom that cartoons like these were published, don't yall?

I don't care if people were to publish a cartoon of my mother that I find insulting, or a caricature of Darwin doing certain acts with an ape. It's freedom of expression, and though I wouldn't agree with it, I'd defend to my death their right to do it. Meanwhile Muslims across the world seem to enjoy cartoons about Jews that are quite inflammatory, and they get upset over a cartoon of their latest prophet? Can you say hypocrisy?

Jews aren't a favored religion or race to me either. I don't support Isreal, and in fact I'm furious that they spyed on and stole technology from a country that was responsible for their very existence. But guess what? They are there, so deal with it. The best thing the Palastinians could do is start peacefully protesting in huge numbers, Ghandi style. The Isreali's aren't evil, they wouldn't fire upon a mob of people protesting. And if they did it would draw attention from the world community.

While I do feel cultures develop differently, I'm not racist. We are all human(homo sapien sapien) and there's basically no difference between us all. Science is the only thing I can come close to having anything close to "faith" in. I must admit though, I feel Western civilization, especially that of the United States, is superior to all others. So how about yall prove me wrong? Islam used to be head and shoulders above medieval Europe. Your ancestors preserved Persian, Greek and Roman knowledge, and added much of their own. They figured out that there were microscopic organisms long before the microscope. They used to be some of the most tolerant of the middle ages. Oh, how the mighty have fallen. Christendom started it's reforms in the early renaissance, Islam is in dire need of reform.

mahdisoldier19
02-06-2006, 04:23 AM
Salam Alaikam Moples you bring great points HOWEVER,

Brother Moples forgot to mention that what you see on TV about israel isnt the truth. They actually do fire on crowds of people. It has drawn the attention of the national world. When it does the jews say its their defense against so called " Terrorism in Palestine "

Though I totally agree to do it ghandi style. But like this man once told me you may talk now about how bad the palestinians are. But lets say i come into your home im your worse enemy and i kill and rape your mother sister and kill your brothers and take your home and destroy everything your family worked for. What would you do at that possesion?

renak
04-08-2006, 06:32 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by islam-truth
Salaam

Freedom of speech is okay as long as it aint offensive
Who gets to determine what is offensive?

renak
04-08-2006, 06:49 AM
well if someone says something like "your mother is a #%^54 #$%^#$%^" (replace symbols with really ride words" and then publishes them in a news paper

THAT is not freedom of speech - thats just plain cussing and agression

This move done by the newspapers is active agression against muslims
Perhaps they were published just test the reaction of the muslim world. If this were the case, a lot of non-muslims lost some respect for the muslims inability to handle the offensive cartoons via dialogue and education, opposed to violence.

The violent reaction to the cartoons may given some non-muslims the justification they have been looking for in regards to the Iraq War, torture scandal, etc... If a non-muslim population is led to believe that muslims cannot resolve issues without force and violence, then the same population is more likely to support stronger forms of interrogation, and more severe military tactics.

Zulkiflim
04-08-2006, 07:17 AM
Salaam,

Where does your freedom end and mine begin?

To what point can you use your freedom to assail my freedom?

At what point does freedom be sacrificed for morality and decency?
Does having free speech mena you can antogonize other ?
Or does not courtesy matter anymore?

The very premise of the pictures are to incite hate and no other reason.
The paper had asked for expert advice to NOT publish the paper,but ignored it and published it anyway.

In another forum,there was a Dane saying we support Palestinian,yet palestinians are calling for their blood,my rep[ly was this..

Since you support Palestinian with money and what not does that entitle you to disrespect us?
Since you support Palestine does that mean you own us?
We are grateful but that does not mean we are totally indebted to you that such vile deeds can be forgiven for moneys sake.

The west just dont get it,Islam is LIFE.

renak
04-08-2006, 07:49 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Zulkiflim
Salaam,

We are both afforded the same freedom. The manner in which we wish to express our opposition is what I consider to be the main factor.

I personally prefer moral and decent expression. However, who should be responsible for determining what is moral and decent? I think that we can only draw the line at the recognition of basic human rights, without regard to personal opinions concerning morality and values.

The paper had asked for expert advice to NOT publish the paper,but ignored it and published it anyway.

I agree that the cartoons were published in poor judgement. However, much of what is published by the media is done to incite anger. If we look through a newspaper on any given day, I'm sure that most of us can find something offensive.

In another forum,there was a Dane saying we support Palestinian,yet palestinians are calling for their blood,my rep[ly was this..

Since you support Palestinian with money and what not does that entitle you to disrespect us?
We are grateful but that does not mean we are totally indebted to you that such vile deeds can be forgiven for moneys sake.

I think the Danish may have expected the Palestinians to turn the other cheek. This is not hard to do. I think that everyone has to pick their own battles. The battle over a cartoon that offended me seems fruitless. Instead, I would choose to battle over human suffering, abuses, etc...

I understand that Islam is LIFE to Muslims. However, many Muslims neglect to accept that other religions are LIFE to other people. I could never be convinced that Muslims incorporate their religion into their lives more than people of other religions.

In all due respect, I think the violent reaction over the tasteless Mohammed cartoons exemplified weakness, and lack of self-control.
:) :) :)

KAding
04-08-2006, 08:12 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by islam-truth
Salaam

People fear allah we should be uniting not fighting
Hmm.

It appears to me as if Muslims have an undue obsession for unity. Unity is not necessarily a good thing. Societies that demand unity often end up stagnant and with censorship and oppression. Stagnant because divergent ideas are repressed or rejected out of hand. Oppression because unity will need to be enforced by someone, usually the state. It is unreasonable to expect everyone to agree, for example on the interpretation of the holy scriptures.

I think this is a flaw in Islamic political theory. IMHO society should be set up in such a way to deal with diversity in political and religious ideas and handle these disagreements in a peaceful manner. Insisting on an unreachable ideal of 'unity' has been one of the hallmarks of totalitarian regimes, like Communism and Fascism. It is simply not a realistic aim.

In my humble opinion anyway ;).

KAding
04-08-2006, 08:15 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by sumay28
If you poke fun a Jew or a black person... you're in trouble. You're crossing the line!! But a muslim...."it's freedom of speech"
Islam is not a race, but an ideology.

KAding
04-08-2006, 08:17 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ladee_Maryam
here in australia a muslim man said there is nothing wrong with osama bin laden - surely thats freedom of speech but uno what happened to him. He was arrested and only God knows whats happened to him now.
Why is it double standards when it comes to muslims?
Do you have a link to that? I am also curious how they motivated the arrest.

Thanks..

Zulkiflim
04-08-2006, 08:36 AM
Salaam,

to renak...

Very sad to hear your word
When you said who is to determine moral and decency,it is simple it is on each individual person,each of us know what is right and what is wrong.
in context of the caricatures,they ASKED for expert advice but still printed them.
So in short,they printed it DESPITE advice.
Are they also like you who would question the barriers of morality and decency?
Becasue tehre is no set rules for courtesy you then trangress them?

I cna understand that you as non muslim would not know th depth of hurt the caricatures did to muslim.turning the other cheek,should that not have been by the Chrsitian publisher who was NOT TO PRINT the pictures ? They did ask for advice and they were told NOT TO PRINT.

Islam is LIFE,Islam has rules from birth to death.
For you sayin it is weakness is from your perception casue you do not understand about faith.
For Muslim Islam is life.As i said the west just dont get it..

Chrisitan?catholics are able to mock their reliogn openly and even doubt their own reliogn openly ,,,this is alien to Islam.
The problem is that the Chrsitian/catholic think we muslim have weak faith as christian/catholic do..
After the World war,the west lose their respect for religion and started to abhor it openly and only accept it on holidays or sundays..
this is their culture not our.

Zulkiflim
04-08-2006, 08:38 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by KAding
Hmm.

It appears to me as if Muslims have an undue obsession for unity. Unity is not necessarily a good thing. Societies that demand unity often end up stagnant and with censorship and oppression. Stagnant because divergent ideas are repressed or rejected out of hand. Oppression because unity will need to be enforced by someone, usually the state. It is unreasonable to expect everyone to agree, for example on the interpretation of the holy scriptures.

I think this is a flaw in Islamic political theory. IMHO society should be set up in such a way to deal with diversity in political and religious ideas and handle these disagreements in a peaceful manner. Insisting on an unreachable ideal of 'unity' has been one of the hallmarks of totalitarian regimes, like Communism and Fascism. It is simply not a realistic aim.

In my humble opinion anyway ;).
It is simple,

we have ONE QURAN,ONE GOD:ALLAH,ONE UMMAH..

Unity is critical in Islam,it is the end and the beginning..

Islam is not communism nor fascism nor democracy...
Islam is the good for mankind..not for a part of mankind or for the rich or the poor..
For all of mankind

HeiGou
04-08-2006, 09:28 AM
At the point I inflict material injury on you.

The second I get it and right up to the point I inflict a material injury on you.

It is ironic to hear Muslims talk of courtesy. This Forum does a good job, but until you stop using phrases like "kafir", "pigs and monkeys" and the like, I do not think that Muslims have any grounds for complaint.

That is not true. They provoked a very important political debate. The Imams who took them to the Middle East seemed determined to incite hate but even that had a useful, from their point of view, purpose.

Evidence?

Well yes it does. It entitles the Danes to do what they like in their own country regardless even if they do not support the Palestinians with money. You plainly are not grateful. It is a typical characteristic of many Muslims, even around here, that no matter what you are not grateful. Or thankful. The West has offered a hand of friendship. Your (to generalise) response is to spit on us? You think this is going to help?

And what you do not get is in my own home my rules apply. Not yours.

renak
04-08-2006, 10:48 AM
Salaam,

to renak...

Very sad to hear your word
When you said who is to determine moral and decency,it is simple it is on each individual person,each of us know what is right and what is wrong.

Unless a person is a true sociopath they do tend to know right from wrong. However, we all have a different opinion on what we believe right and wrong to be.

in context of the caricatures,they ASKED for expert advice but still printed them.

Life isn't always fair. We have to develop skills which will allow us to deal with adverse situations in life.

So in short,they printed it DESPITE advice.

There are a lot of insensitive people in this world. We need to learn how to deal with such people, as gracefully as possible.

Are they also like you who would question the barriers of morality and decency?

Your morals and mine don't have to be the same. Once I figured this out, life became much more pleasant and rewarding.

Becasue tehre is no set rules for courtesy you then trangress them?

Each person has their own motives. Again, life is not fair. People aren't always nice.

I cna understand that you as non muslim would not know th depth of hurt the caricatures did to muslim.turning the other cheek,should that not have been by the Chrsitian publisher who was NOT TO PRINT the pictures ? They did ask for advice and they were told NOT TO PRINT.

Turning the other cheek would have been best for the Christian publisher. However, since he did not, it was up to the Muslim population to do so.

Islam is LIFE,Islam has rules from birth to death.

Yes, and they are quite easy to follow. Society also have rules which need to be adhered to.

For you sayin it is weakness is from your perception casue you do not understand about faith.

Yes, I do understand faith. One does not have to practice Islam to understand faith.

For Muslim Islam is life.As i said the west just dont get it..

For the Christian Christianity is life. For the Budhist Budhism is life. For the Pagan Paganism is life. I think it is naive to assume that other religions do not equally incorporate their religious dogma into their lives.

Chrisitan?catholics are able to mock their reliogn openly and even doubt their own reliogn openly ,,,this is alien to Islam.

This may be due to the governments in countries with large muslim populations. It's my understanding that it is not an option for Muslims to leave Islam in many areas of the world. However, if a person is raised in a democracy which encourages free thought, such an action would be possible.
I do understand that doubting and mocking ones religion may be alien to some Muslims. Therefore, I excuse those Muslims in Islamic countries, which reacted in violence. However, I do not excuse the Muslims in the Western countries which reacted in violence.

The problem is that the Chrsitian/catholic think we muslim have weak faith as christian/catholic do..

Why do you assume that Catholic Christians have weaker faith than Muslims?

After the World war,the west lose their respect for religion and started to abhor it openly and only accept it on holidays or sundays..
this is their culture not our.

The Muslims that I know are less involved in religious activity than the Christians I know. However, concentrating on the outward appearance of any religion is not as meaningful as the personal relationship one has with God.
:) :) :)

blunderbus
04-08-2006, 07:21 PM
About the cartoons; From the western point of view it was not Muslims asking for respect, but demanding submission. Muslims were trying to force Non-Muslims in a Non-Muslim country to be bound by Islamic law. It's easy to see why most westerners think this is unacceptable. Especially when accompanied with violence and death threats.

I do however agree that some European countries are hypocritical with their holocaust denial laws.

Ghazi
04-08-2006, 07:23 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by blunderbus
About the cartoons; From the western point of view it was not Muslims asking for respect, but demanding submission. Muslims were trying to force Non-Muslims in a Non-Muslim country to be bound by Islamic law. It's easy to see why most westerners think this is unacceptable. Especially when accompanied with violence and death threats.

I do however agree that some European countries are hypocritical with their holocaust denial laws.
Salaam

Really, any proof

blunderbus
04-08-2006, 07:24 PM
Proof of what?

Ghazi
04-08-2006, 07:28 PM

From the western point of view it was not Muslims asking for respect, but demanding submission. Muslims were trying to force Non-Muslims in a Non-Muslim country to be bound by Islamic law

blunderbus
04-08-2006, 07:31 PM
Denmark is a Non-Muslim country, right? The publishers of the newspaper were not muslims, right? The rule against making images of Mohammed is a religious rule, right? So what is in dispute?

Ansar Al-'Adl
04-08-2006, 07:35 PM
Greetings Blunderbus,
Denmark is a Non-Muslim country, right? The publishers of the newspaper were not muslims, right? The rule against making images of Mohammed is a religious rule, right? So what is in dispute?
You're mistake is that you assume the outcry over the cartoons was because of the religious prohibition of drawing images of Muhammad pbuh. The reality of the matter is that the outcry was not simply over the fact that he had been depicted, but the hateful way in which he was depicted. This has nothing to do with Muslims demanding submission, it has to do with responsible excercise of freedoms in a way that will not incite hatred or malign any segment of the community, especially in a sensitive time when we need to promote understanding and mutual respect,

Regards

blunderbus
04-08-2006, 07:42 PM
The whole thing started when a book publisher was unable to find artists willing to do illustrations (non satirical) for a book about Mohammed because of fear of violent retribution. Was this fear unjustified?

Ansar Al-'Adl
04-08-2006, 08:46 PM
The whole thing started when a book publisher was unable to find artists willing to do illustrations (non satirical) for a book about Mohammed because of fear of violent retribution. Was this fear unjustified?
First of all, it seems you're talking about another issue. Secondly, the issue here is a matter of respect; if artists are unwilling to take part in an activity that may offend others, that goes to their credit. But again, it has nothing to do with a desire to impose religious rules on others. It has to do with the respect and tolerance that are vital for the progression of society.

Zulkiflim
04-08-2006, 09:52 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by HeiGou
At the point I inflict material injury on you.

The second I get it and right up to the point I inflict a material injury on you.

It is ironic to hear Muslims talk of courtesy. This Forum does a good job, but until you stop using phrases like "kafir", "pigs and monkeys" and the like, I do not think that Muslims have any grounds for complaint.

That is not true. They provoked a very important political debate. The Imams who took them to the Middle East seemed determined to incite hate but even that had a useful, from their point of view, purpose.

Evidence?

Well yes it does. It entitles the Danes to do what they like in their own country regardless even if they do not support the Palestinians with money. You plainly are not grateful. It is a typical characteristic of many Muslims, even around here, that no matter what you are not grateful. Or thankful. The West has offered a hand of friendship. Your (to generalise) response is to spit on us? You think this is going to help?

And what you do not get is in my own home my rules apply. Not yours.

Salaam,,

that is very pathethic,freedom stop when you inflict some one harm?
Dont you have a mind of when to stop to be abusive and intolerant?
Or do you relish to be doing harm to others?

What are kafirs? A waord to describe non muslim,is it deragoatory,yes in your own mind..Pigs and monkeys are animals and must be read in the context of the verse.
As i say,many american whom are murdering Iraqis women and children are pigs and monkeys...is that wrong?

So to get apolitical debate going they must publish th cartoon.So in effect they must do the very act to incite thought.that is a pretty pathetic excuse dont you think.It would mena that for cops training to think about a robbery and a murder thye must then actually rob some one and kill some one.
Or perhaps since the act of punishment of thieves in Islam is cutting off the hand ,perhaps to create thought about this they should cut some one hands.

If you were to think like that then no discoveries will be discovered for all discoveries must be actually DONE,then it casue the reason to be thought out.

The fact that you ask for evidence show your ignorance in this matter and to preclude judgement just becasu of your hate towards anything Islamic.

I understand that when in the west or in you,when some one gives you money your life belong to them ..that is a western concept and is not an Islamic concept.That our soul are bouught and sold via monetary exchage.It speak much about you when you think like this.I guess only people who trully base their values and piety on the next meal on the next handout do think their life and soul is for sale.

So in your home do you not have guest or behave couteously?
Or are you saying as your soul is for sale then other are

The west just dont get us..
Inshallah they will

Zulkiflim
04-08-2006, 09:58 PM
Salaam,

Ask the west,how much insult and agner does it need to evoke to casue them to think?
Ask then how much pain does it suffice for them to find thought?
Ask them how much laughter do they derive if they seek solace in the pain of others.

Inshallah,death be upon them for their direct disrespect.
May they burn in the hell fire unless they become muslim that is.

Zulkiflim
04-08-2006, 10:28 PM
HEya

[PIE]
Expert Warnings About Cartoons Went Unheeded
By Hasan Cucuk, Copenhagen
Published: Thursday, February 02, 2006
zaman.com

Recent revelations show that the Danish Jyllands Posten newspaper consulted experts before publishing the caricatures that caused conflict between Denmark and the Islamic world.

Professor Tim Jensen, a prominent Danish theologian, said the caricatures should not be published, warning the newspaper “It will offend Muslims and only cause pointless provocation.” A lecturer at South Denmark University, Mr. Jensen summarized his answer to Zaman regarding the Jyllands Posten newspaper: “Surely, Denmark has freedom of press, but pictures of the Prophet Mohammed have never existed throughout history. Any picture or caricature to be published will offend Muslims deeply. It would be provocation in a climate where Islam and Muslims are already in the limelight. It’s like pouring gas on the fire.”

Another point Professor Jensen, a leading expert on religious history and the author of ‘Religion Guide’ to Islam, Christianity, and Judaism, noted is the depiction of the Prophet Mohammed as a terrorist. “In a climate where Islam is associated with terrorism, depicting the Prophet Mohammed with a bomb on his head is both offensive and insulting” said Jensen, underlining the involved caricatures go beyond normal caricatures or pictures. Jensen added he requested the newspaper evaluate thoroughly its responsibilities and avoid any publications that would rupture up Denmark’s relationship with Muslims.

Leading ecclesiastics of Denmark called for moderation of tensions. Copenhagen Bishop Erik Norman Svendsen condemned both the burning of a Danish flag and insulting the Prophet Mohammed via caricatures. Svendsen, calling on Danish citizens to take a cool look, said, “We should not cut dialogue with Muslims.” The Viborg Bishop said, “It is difficult for certain people among Danish citizens who do not pay enough attention to religion to realize how far they go when talking about Islam and Muslims.” Loland Faster Bishop Steen Skovsgaard said the wound caused by the caricatures will take long time to heal, adding, the dialogue should go on.[/PIE]

So ask yourself,knowing it is ILL they did it
was that wise?
Is it necessary to incit pain in other then you will fell DEMOCRATIC and FREE?

snakelegs
04-09-2006, 03:50 AM
As i say,many american whom are murdering Iraqis women and children are pigs and monkeys...is that wrong?
yes. pigs and monkeys do not do such things.

i_m_tipu
04-09-2006, 06:09 AM
I call them MAD

let me explain what I m just saying

mad can say anything
so it prove they have the absolute freedom of expression

now some Westerner want to have the absolute freedom of expression
so doesn't it prove they want to be MAD

the Western doing a huge business from Muslim country

but in return they disrespect our Religion so badly

Creating munafig, destroying our culture, cursing our character
list will be go on and on.

thou it(their disrespecting) doesn't matter anything to me

we know very well what is our Religion is :)

May Allaah help the Muslim and their tries

HeiGou
04-09-2006, 08:32 AM
that is very pathethic,freedom stop when you inflict some one harm?
Dont you have a mind of when to stop to be abusive and intolerant?
Or do you relish to be doing harm to others?
Freedom ought to stop when you inflict some real harm on other people. What is wrong with that as an idea? People should not be abusive and intolerant (again it is interesting hearing Muslims argue this considering how abusive and intolerant the vast majority of Muslim sites and publications are) but that is not the same as passing laws to prevent them being abusive and intolerant. I think it is rude. As I have said many times, these cartoons should not have been published out of politeness, but it should not be illegal to do so.

What are kafirs? A waord to describe non muslim,is it deragoatory,yes in your own mind..Pigs and monkeys are animals and must be read in the context of the verse.
It is derogatory in the minds of the people who use such terms. I am relaxed about being called a kafir. It carries no sting because I am happy and proud of what I am. But the people who use it mean it in a nasty way. Explain the context to me of such words as pigs and monkeys?

Yes it is. First of all you do not say those who are murdering, but only the Americans thus leaving out all those Muslims who are murdering - this is simply a statement of prejudice as the wrong is murdering, not being an American who also happens to murder. And of course they are not murdering and even if they were they still would not be pigs and monkeys.

So to get apolitical debate going they must publish th cartoon.So in effect they must do the very act to incite thought.that is a pretty pathetic excuse dont you think.It would mena that for cops training to think about a robbery and a murder thye must then actually rob some one and kill some one.
Except the police do not want to increase the number of robberies. But this debate has had many positive effects. We are all discussing Islamic law and how it should apply in the West. It is a debate we needed to have and now we have had it. There would have been better ways to conduct this debate I am sure, but this one is what happened to come along.

Or perhaps since the act of punishment of thieves in Islam is cutting off the hand ,perhaps to create thought about this they should cut some one hands.
They could. I am sure that would provoke a debate in the West if the Muslims did it in Denmark.

The fact that you ask for evidence show your ignorance in this matter and to preclude judgement just becasu of your hate towards anything Islamic.
Ignorance I plead guilty to. Hatred is childish.

I understand that when in the west or in you,when some one gives you money your life belong to them ..that is a western concept and is not an Islamic concept.
Actually it is a Muslim concept more than a Western one. When Muslims eat someone's food they support that person. When they give their word and accept hospitality they stick to it. By and large. Muslims are famous for not robbing their guests and not abusing their hosts. But Muslims in the West seem to have forgotten this.

That our soul are bouught and sold via monetary exchage.It speak much about you when you think like this.I guess only people who trully base their values and piety on the next meal on the next handout do think their life and soul is for sale.
Neat.

So in your home do you not have guest or behave couteously?
Or are you saying as your soul is for sale then other are
Actually you have that backward, do you think if you are a guest you are entitled to steal from your host, take his car, assault his daughters, and demand that he hand over his house? It is not my problem. I know how to behave to a guest and as a guest. Some Muslims in the West do not.

czgibson
04-09-2006, 02:05 PM
Greetings,
Ask the west,how much insult and agner does it need to evoke to casue them to think?
Ask then how much pain does it suffice for them to find thought?
Ask them how much laughter do they derive if they seek solace in the pain of others.

Inshallah,death be upon them for their direct disrespect.
May they burn in the hell fire unless they become muslim that is.
This is just charming isn't it? The only way out for Westerners appears to be converting to Islam.

Peace

Ansar Al-'Adl
04-09-2006, 02:21 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by HeiGou
People should not be abusive and intolerant (again it is interesting hearing Muslims argue this considering how abusive and intolerant the vast majority of Muslim sites and publications are)
Absolute nonsense.

I think it is rude.
I think it is very dangerous and is threatening to a large population, both Muslims and Non-Muslims. In such sensitive times when we should be doing all we can to spread understanding and help integrate the various segments in society, these actions destroy all such efforts and incite hatred and division.
As I have said many times, these cartoons should not have been published out of politeness, but it should not be illegal to do so.
I think it should because it poses a significant threat to the society.

Actually it is a Muslim concept more than a Western one. When Muslims eat someone's food they support that person. When they give their word and accept hospitality they stick to it. By and large. Muslims are famous for not robbing their guests and not abusing their hosts. But Muslims in the West seem to have forgotten this.
Another erroneous generalization. Some people will never learn.

Some Muslims in the West do not.
Some Christians, Jews, Agnostics, Atheists, Hindus, Sikhs and Buddhists0 do not either.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.