/* */

PDA

View Full Version : QnA: Use of different verbs in the Qur'an

Far7an
02-03-2006, 11:04 PM
:sl:

This was a question asked by brothers Ansar Al-'Adl and Takumi, I asked a shaykh, the following was the question and the response.

Question: Allah uses different verbs in Al Quran to explain the same event for example, the cast away of Adam and Hawwa in one chapter Allah uses ihbitoo (plural) but in another, ihbitaa (dual), but for ONE event, which one did he really say?

Answer:

This is a good question. If you studied Arabic at an advanced level, you would not have asked this question, as it would have been obvious to you.

In Arabic the one who is speaking, has different ways of expressing himself, which is know as dhameer mutakallim. "I", is reffering to one person, but you can also say "We", this is an expression used to give credit to oneself. Therefore Allah (Exalted is he) did not only say ihbitaa and ihbitoo he also said qaalahbitaa and qulnahbitoo. There are different ways.

You are right about ihbitaa and ihbitoo. Ihbitaa is dual, for two people. However in other dialects/accents in Arabic, they use ihbitaa for al jam'

In Usool al fiqh there is a rule, Aqalu jam` ithnaan = The less of a group is two. So it can be two people and STILL be considered JAM`

That is the beauty of the Qur'an it accomodates all the dialects and accents within the Arabic language. Yes you're right the incident is one, but it is expressed differently, to give it a more elequont meaning.

And Allah knows best.

I wrote out the answer myself, so I am to blame for any spelling or grammar errors.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Takumi
02-03-2006, 11:10 PM
Great answer! I love it! jazakumullahu khairan.

shows that al Quran has to be learnt in its truest form, not translation.

Khaldun
02-12-2006, 09:55 AM

When one studies the different Qira'at it is mind-blowing how the Qurans beauty is enhanced (if possible) subhanAllah!

Takumi
02-18-2006, 04:55 AM
Far7an, can you ask the shaykh why the words in verses 17 and 18 in soorah al mulk, qiraat Hafs an Aasim, end with kasrah?

thanks.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Far7an
02-19-2006, 11:56 PM

I've been a bit busy, I'll get the answer for you soon InshaaAllaah.

Far7an
02-20-2006, 09:23 AM

Ok he said..

Because essentially there's a "YA" there but it's omitted from the word and replaced with Kasra, in other Qira'at "like warsh" the "YA" is there. This is a famous Arabic style.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.