/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Is boycotting moral?

Prawned
02-05-2006, 10:55 AM
Is boycotting moral? I know some Catholic priests are into boycotts but is it moral? By boycotting the Danish companies you affect all people including Catholics and Muslims. I mean, can't we all just get along? Rodney King said that. He shares the last name "King" with Martin Luther King, who was both a black man and a Lutheran. Normally I cannot stand Lutherans because they are not Catholic and they are intolerant. But I make an exception for both Martin Luther King and Rodney King, they will probably not go to hell. But other Lutherans I'm not so sure about.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Ghazi
02-05-2006, 11:37 AM
Salaam

Boycotting is a means to an end, Denmark will think twice before even thinking of repeating what they did.

Malaikah
02-05-2006, 11:51 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Prawned
I mean, can't we all just get along?
its not easy to get along with a country who allows its papers to publish such insulting cartoons about islam.

Salaam
02-05-2006, 12:28 PM
Salaam,

I Agree...

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Eric H
02-05-2006, 01:13 PM
Greetings and peace Prawned;

Was boycotting Iraq moral?

I think you will find most people boycott something when they are not happy, have you ever boycotted a shop because they gave you poor service.

take care

Eric

czgibson
02-05-2006, 02:44 PM
Greetings,

I have to say that I think that Muslims boycotting Danish products will not have a huge effect, seeing as Denmark's two biggest exports are bacon and beer...

Peace

Prawned
02-06-2006, 12:19 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by islam-truth
Denmark will think twice before even thinking of repeating what they did.
Does this mean they will think three times?

But why do we say "they"? A person in Denmark is free to print whatever he wants. A person is also free not to read it. The government isn't supposed to do anything about that. If you don't like it, don't buy the paper. Why not boycott the paper? Instead you boycott the entire country? Businesses who employ Muslims and have nothing to do with the newspaper? How is this rational?

Khadeejah
02-06-2006, 12:26 AM
Asalaamu Alaikum Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Baraakatu.

Well seeing as you want to speak on Martin Luther King.....Did he not boycott the buses?

So that the black people were equal to blacks

so that the black people could sit where they wanted.

Boycotting is a way to show people that they need us not visa verca many people make the same thing go to the next person

Here is my question to you. If you go somehwere that is supposed to be clean and it is filthy will you continue to go?

akulion
02-06-2006, 12:34 AM
just like they are "fee to offend others through "

same way we the Muslims are "free to boycott them"

simple as that

Prawned
02-06-2006, 04:49 AM
I think you are missing my point. You are boycotting fellow muslims who are employed by these companies and otherwise affected by the boycott.

Why not boycott the newspaper that did it?

Muslims in Denmark can buy printing presses and print pictures of Jesus or Jews eating babies and the government won't stop them.

Malaikah
02-06-2006, 07:41 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Prawned
Muslims in Denmark can buy printing presses and print pictures of Jesus or Jews eating babies and the government won't stop them.
what benifit will it be to boycott the newspaper?? that wont be noticed or widespread at all.

i think the idea behind boycotting is that is raises awareness and pressure is put on the newspaper to apologise, stop being offensive etc.

and there is no need to retaliate by being as disrespectful as them, why should the muslims in denmark do that?? and anyway, printing jews eating babies isnt an attack on the most important person for the religion, many papers print cartoons of muslims as terrorists, but when they print the prophet like that, its going to far.

note: i am not justsifing the printing of jews eating babies (i have no idea what that is about)

sis_fisabil'Allah
02-06-2006, 08:03 AM
:thankyou:
format_quote Originally Posted by czgibson
Greetings,

I have to say that I think that Muslims boycotting Danish products will not have a huge effect, seeing as Denmark's two biggest exports are bacon and beer...

Peace
personally i completeley disagree i think by muslims protesting their may nt be a massive difference as its quite clear dat they feelno way 4 muslims/ they dnt care! bt ifwer 2 boycot thier goods they wud as loss of profit will nt nke their buisness sucessful. Also why shud we continue to buy their goods if they have deeply insulted us muslims! they may not be a massive differene in the beer and bacon area bt definently in the dairy area :thankyou:

TSpot
02-06-2006, 08:55 PM
It is moral. People are free to do what they want, however misguided, in most countries. Leaving aside the violence, the Danish boycott is dumb and does not help in any way.

After 9/11 many firms which my company owns or owns an interest in were boycotted and rumors were spread that they were fronts for bin laden. Thankfully there was no violence, but what was accomplished? Nothing. Most of these companies were hurt financially and one never recovered. Many people lost their jobs (predominately non Muslims) just because they happened to work for a company that was the target of misguided boycotts.

If boycotts make people feel happy, so be it, but I wish they would do something constructive instead of senseless.

sis_fisabil'Allah
02-06-2006, 09:41 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by TSpot
It is moral. People are free to do what they want, however misguided, in most countries. Leaving aside the violence, the Danish boycott is dumb and does not help in any way.

After 9/11 many firms which my company owns or owns an interest in were boycotted and rumors were spread that they were fronts for bin laden. Thankfully there was no violence, but what was accomplished? Nothing. Most of these companies were hurt financially and one never recovered. Many people lost their jobs (predominately non Muslims) just because they happened to work for a company that was the target of misguided boycotts.

If boycotts make people feel happy, so be it, but I wish they would do something constructive instead of senseless.
who was dis refering 2?

TSpot
02-06-2006, 09:48 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by sis_fisabil'Allah
who was dis refering 2?
i+ \/\/@z n0+ r3Ph3rriNg +0 @Nyb0dy. i+ \/\/@z @ r3$P0N$3 +0 +h3 p0$+

sis_fisabil'Allah
02-06-2006, 10:04 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by TSpot
i+ \/\/@z n0+ r3Ph3rriNg +0 @Nyb0dy. i+ \/\/@z @ r3$P0N$3 +0 +h3 p0$+
usually wen ppl give responses it usualy a q's dat u wer refering 2 a q's bu da way cud u nt write lyk dat plz its quite annoying thnx

TSpot
02-06-2006, 10:08 PM
usually wen ppl give responses it usualy a q's dat u wer refering 2 a q's bu da way cud u nt write lyk dat plz its quite annoying thnx
I apologize. Just trying to answer your l337 speak in kind. Usually, when someone is referring to a specific person or point they made, they use the quote feature or the "^^" to refer to the post above. When this is not used, it customarily denotes a general response to the thread.

czgibson
02-07-2006, 07:26 PM
Greetings,
:thankyou:
personally i completeley disagree i think by muslims protesting their may nt be a massive difference as its quite clear dat they feelno way 4 muslims/ they dnt care! bt ifwer 2 boycot thier goods they wud as loss of profit will nt nke their buisness sucessful. Also why shud we continue to buy their goods if they have deeply insulted us muslims!
I'm not entirely sure on what you mean in some of this, but I don't think I denied any of it.

they may not be a massive differene in the beer and bacon area bt definently in the dairy area :thankyou:
Ah, there we go - a point relevant to my post!

You're quite right.

bu da way cud u nt write lyk dat plz its quite annoying thnx
I think that's the point TSpot was trying to direct at you! If you make your writing clear, as opposed to using text-speak, there's more of a chance that people will understand what you mean. :)

Peace

Muezzin
02-07-2006, 08:26 PM
'Is boycotting moral?'

Hey, Ghandi did it :p

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.