/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Women's Rights: Now and Then

Protected_Diamond
02-05-2006, 08:34 PM
:sl: warhmatulahi wabarakathu

ShowPicphp?id31817 -

Traditions and false religious beliefs both contributed to the ill treatment of women in previous civilizations and societies. Arabian tribes were no different from other people when it came to mistreating women, although some were well treated in renowned tribes such as Quraish.

The burial of newborn female infants and girls was a common practice. They were seen as a burden to the family, for when poverty stroke, they would have to sustain an additional person. Moreover, when a tribe was attacked, the girls were taken as captives and raped, which brought much shame to the family and tribe.

Women were not allowed to inherit; not the daughter from her father nor the wife from her husband or the mother from her son. The Arabs left inheritance only to those who carried the sword and defended the tribe. Furthermore, the maternal relatives were of no importance; only the paternal family was recognized.

When the husband died, the wife was not allowed to leave his family, for as soon as he died, she was inherited by one of his relatives. She could not leave unless she paid to free herself. Moreover, when a woman was divorced, she was kept out of spite. She was thus not allowed to divorce, and when she was divorced, she could not leave.

Islam has changed the status of women, and changed the outlook that men have towards women. Islam revolutionized the world 1400 years ago when it gave women full access to their rights. To illustrate that point, one needs to only remember the West acknowledged women as beings who possessed a soul just less then 100 years ago. Islam recognized this fact 1400 years ago.

Let's consider the original creation of the woman as portrayed by the Qur'an. "O humankind, be conscious of your Sustainer who has created you out of one living entity, and out of it created its mate, and out of the two spread abroad a multitude of men and women." (4:1). The Qur'an shows that both sexes are of equal standing. Moreover, The Qur'an assigns commands and prohibitions to both genders, which sets the tone for the status of women.

The concept of gender equality is very much stressed in Islam. It came at a time when it was necessary to elevate the status of women. As one of many examples, consider the rights of women in marriage and divorce. The precondition of marriage is the mutual agreement by both parties. Both men and women have equal rights to contract a marriage as well as dissolve it.

Furthermore, unlike other religions, Islam allows woman to have divorce if she feels that her husband has dealt with her unjustly or if she is miserable with her spouse, since marriage is based upon mutual responsibilities towards each other. Islam has also ensured the woman's right to remarry after a three-month refraining period, while in the not too distant past the world considered the right of a woman to remarry as taboo!

As for social rights, Islam has always recognized the substantial role women play in society. The right of inheritance and the right of individual independent ownership unhampered by father, husband, brother, son or anyone else for that matter, has also been granted. They are given the freedom to pursue any profession including political stations. In both the past and present day, women in Islamic societies have reached political heights unparalleled within the most "advanced" western nations.

Then why is Islam often portrayed as being oppressive towards women? A part is certainly due to the stereotyped image of Muslim women in the media. However, some of it is due to Muslims themselves. This surely is not caused by our religious ideology but rather by our own negligence in understanding our religion.

Some of the practices in Muslim countries have deviated from or are totally unrelated to the origins of Islam. Instead, they are based on cultural customs, which date from pre-Islamic tribal traditions. Pre-Islamic traditions still remain imprinted in the hearts of some Muslims. The status of women in Islam is one of equality and honor. :)

[Adopted from an article published in "Towards Mecca" by By Hajar Ajam]

:w: warhmatulahi wabarakathu

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Jeness18
02-05-2006, 09:02 PM
Wow...I'm shocked.:rollseyes

Mohsin
02-05-2006, 09:10 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Jeness18
Wow...I'm shocked.:rollseyes

Lol, suprising to see how islam truly treats women. I agree the media deserves a lot of the lame for misconceptions on status of women in islam

Jeness18
02-05-2006, 09:28 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Moss
Lol, suprising to see how islam truly treats women. I agree the media deserves a lot of the lame for misconceptions on status of women in islam
I bet you are an expert on Islam, right? Well could you possibly answer these questions.
1. What is your age?
2. What is your political party affiliation?
3. Are you a practicing Muslim?
4. Do you practice a religion? If so what religion is it?
5. How familiar are you with Islam on a scale from 1-10(10 being an expert)?
6. What is the first word that comes to your mind when you hear the word "Islam?"
7. Do you feel that Islam preaches violence?
8. What do you feel the core differences are between Islam and Christianity?
9. Why do you think there has been hatred of the West along with Christainity and Judaism in much of the Islamic world?
10. What do you feel is the cause for this hatred?
11. Do you feel that Islam's core beliefs were responsible for the terrorist attacks?
12. Why do you feel that many terrorist activities are carried out by Islamic groups?
13. Do you feel as if more Muslims were to move into your community it would be less safe?
14. Do you feel that your community would accept Muslims?

Any questions too personal or that you don't like the question...don't answer...my teacher wrote these interview questions and I want to interview people who know this way of life. Please get back to me. If you know anyone else that might know answers to these questions...please encourage them to write to me!!! I need all the interviews I can get!!! Thank you!

I hope we talk some more:happy:

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Mohsin
02-05-2006, 09:59 PM
I've replied to you on your first post when you introduced yourself

shanu
02-05-2006, 11:28 PM
Thanks for the article, there is a remarkable change thanks to islam, and i hope that more ppl of our time will changed their corrupted views on women and free them from the cage they shunned then in. :) inshallah

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.