/* */

PDA

View Full Version : About telling my parents..

Pinkie
02-06-2006, 05:16 AM
Asalamu Alaikum Wa'Rahmatuhllahi Wa'Barakatuh...

I'm a new Muslima...well for 10 months. I still haven't told my parents that I am a Muslima. I told myself that Allah Subhanahu wa ta'ala will decide when the time is right. I'm not saying my parents would disown me if I told them...it's mainly my mother. She's strong about her Christian beliefs...and she watches the 700 club:rollseyes.

Some of my friends tell me I should just tell them. It's really not that easy....especially since my parents watch the news and all they here is "Terrorist this or that". They don't hate Muslims, they know I have a lot of Muslim friends. I don't think they would like that their daughter is a Muslima. My mother and I are very close...and I really don't want to hurt her feelings (as for my father, I'm not saying I don't care but I am not that worried about him)...

I was just wondering...does anyone have any advice on how I should approach them about it?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Umu 'Isa
02-06-2006, 06:29 AM
Assalamu alaykum sister - congratulations on your reversion.
Im a revert myself and i find that taking things slow works best. Maybe you could drop them hints and talk about Islam and the beauties of the Qur'an and sunnah to them.
And when you feel the time is right then maybe you could tell them.
Even if they dont take it well in the start, then will eventually accept it.
I wish you all the best sister!

Shereen
02-06-2006, 07:07 AM
Asalamu alaikom Pinkie,

I am new to Islam as well, my family is Christian and also watch the 700 club. Which by the way gives quite a lot of false information about our religion. I converted after marrying a muslim man and initially my family was leery of the marriage, but they met him with an open mind and prior to meeting him I suggested two films for them to watch to better educate them accurately about Islam. If youve not seen them I suggest them to you as well. One is an epic drama similar in style to "The Ten Commandments" which I think every Chrisitan as seen at some time in his/her life. The other is documentary made by PBS called Islam:Empire of Faith. They are both quite long but very informative. Perhaps you could share them with your family. I dont know where your located but in the US they are both available at Netflix.

Good luck to you

Shereen
02-06-2006, 07:09 AM
Ooops I forgot to tell you the name of the drama.. forgive me .. it is called " The message" it was made in 1976 and stars Anthony Quinn.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Pinkie
02-06-2006, 08:09 PM
Asalamu Alaikum!!

Jazakallah Khairan Ladee_Maryam and Shereen. Your advice really helped me think about how to approach Islam with them. I can't go too fast, because if I do it will be too sudden for them. I have heard about "Islam: The Empire of Faith" before. Inshallah, I'll see if I can get a hold of it and let my parents watch it. Last year, I made my father watch "Hajj: The Journey of a Lifetime" with me on Discovery Times channel. He seemed open minded about it and all but I think he was startled because there were soooo many people. So, Inshallah I'll find "The Message" also :).

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.