/* */

PDA

View Full Version : My miswaak gets murdered all da time. WHY???

shanu
02-06-2006, 10:22 AM
Assakamu alaikum
I have been using miswaak for some time now. And the 1st one was attacked by ants after sometime, and so i had to replace it, the 2nd one is still standing and im still using it, Alhamdulliah. I decided to buy a 3rd one to keep as a stand by, so i used it just once on MUharram one, after that i put it safely in a plastic bag and continued using ma current one until it wears out. Lately i just looked at ma new one as i love its smell and founf mOuld on it :heated: , I was so upset, becos my current one can wear out any time and im so used to a miswaak n i cant live without one. My dad washed it and said you can use the miswaak. But there are moulds!!!! N he just washed it off!!! Can i continue to use such a miswaak even if has been washed and cleaned? Wat are the proper methods of keeping miswaak so they will live longer? How to save dem from ants n moulds? The place to buy miswaak are miles away... n i just came back from there :( n i cant imagine gg there again in da hot sun!!! PLsss help meeeee :offended:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
aamirsaab
02-06-2006, 10:25 AM
:sl:
keep the miswak upright maybe it wont be murdered. Also, try keeping it in it's bag thingy.

Malaikah
02-06-2006, 10:27 AM

lol sis relax :) my cousin has a miswaak and it also got moudy, but the thing i noticed is that you both put it in a plastic bag. i never put mine if a plastic bag and it doesnt get moudy, but my thoery that plastic bags make them mouldy is jus a thoery (i think maybe becuase it traps the moisture??)

i dont know much about the ants issue.. i hope other can help you out better than i did

:w:

^^bro you sure abut keeping it in its bag? becuase that kills my thoery lol, cos my cusin kept it in its bag and it got all green

shanu
02-06-2006, 10:29 AM
do u thiink i still can use da one wid da mould on? dont think of me as disgusting pls ,,,, :'( its too hot to travel

i mean i washed it already but do u think i can use it??? pls helppppp

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
mizan_aliashraf
02-06-2006, 10:32 AM
Salam
I dont think it should be a problem. Is it a fresh one?
Wassalam

shanu
02-06-2006, 10:34 AM
yess its sooo new i bought it and i used it once n i kept it a side, da smell is still nice, may i use it?

Duhaa
02-06-2006, 10:37 AM
I'm sure you can.
We never put them in bags, they are usually out in the open.
My brothers keep them in their pockets and nothing happens except they usually come out in the wash!
I suppose it could be due to the climate. I mean take our weather in Britain, its never going to be as hot as it is in India!

shanu
02-06-2006, 10:40 AM
I notice smtg, the 1st miswaak was kept in its bag and the ants attacked. The 3rd was kept in a plastic bag n moulds attack it too but the 2nd was kept it the open as it didnt come with a bag :D but its safe and still alive, the only conclusion i can derive at is, the cause of death of a miswaak is the plastic bag!!! The moisture gets trap and invites all sorts of enemies, no wonder thgey all die!!!

aamirsaab
02-06-2006, 10:43 AM
And that is the sole reason why kids should not be left alone wth a plastic bag.

;D

shanu
02-06-2006, 10:53 AM
yaaa thats true bro;D
But wat are the proper methods of handling a miswaak, must we leave it to dry someplace n den put it upside down in a container??

Nawal89
02-06-2006, 01:26 PM
If it has mould, cant you just cut off the mouldy part? i love miswak and there's no miswak over heeere..dont waste it.

Snowflake
02-06-2006, 01:35 PM
aww sis : ) don't put it in plastic bag or anywhere, where there is damp/moisture. After use, rinse and wipe of excess water with clean tissue and let it air dry. Damp is the perfect conditon in which mould thrives. Try tying a piece of string to it and hanging it to dry where ants cant get to it (maybe on ur washing line). Or how about wrapping it in tissue or light cloth and leaving it in the sun to dry properly while protecting it from ants too.

You can try boiling the existing mouldy one for five minutes to kill mould/bacteria. But some bacteria can survive even then by forming spores ( a protective shield around it). Or you can leave it in a solution of Milton's sterilising fluid (read instructions) as well as boiling it. However I'm not sure if the miswak will survive such treatment. But at least you could avoid it happening again. Best of luck to your miswaaks :)

Khaldun
02-06-2006, 01:51 PM

If you can just get another siwaak inshAllah and keep it on you at all times, dont leave it lieng around. And dont get too atttached to one miswaak they wear out, and the relationship is bound to end in misery.

shanu
02-06-2006, 03:02 PM
Yups i really think i better get one, i cant imagine brushing with that miswaak becos of da mould that had formed on it. Da mould is all arnd da miswaak i never expected mould to grow on a miswaak :-O

faizacadday
02-08-2006, 02:03 AM
my parents put theirs in the freezer it works... try it .
:? You Are talking about those islamic wooden brushes right loool ;D ;D

maryam (",)
02-11-2006, 12:00 AM
lol

awww shame...poor u
me doesn't think it's a good idea to keep ur miswaak in a plastic, coz the moisture causes the mold. if u scrape the mold off ur old miswaak and wash it out, sure u can use it.

was ur previous miswaak, d one attacked by ants, a flavoured one? maybe they liked the taste of it ;)

shanu
02-11-2006, 07:24 AM
yes it was falvoured ive taken pics of ma miswaak, i show u ok :P

Malaikah
02-11-2006, 11:21 AM

and i didnt know you can get a flavoured miswak!!! wild! what kind of flavours? strawberry.. chocolate? or am i dreaming? :D

shanu
02-11-2006, 03:06 PM
S H A N U PrOdUcTioNz
PRESENTING
[BANANA]HaNgInG gArDeN of Di miSwAAk[/BANANA]
Attachment 879

This is ma miswaak, safely hanging out of the reach of ants, safe from moisture and moulds. Now, ur wonderng how come its so small. Well initiaally it was a long miswaak, but one day it broke into half, now im using one half of it, Haiz must be economical cos da shop is just toooooooo far away :grumbling :hiding: :heated: :giggling:

Miswaak gt musk flavor, yummmmmmy, musky musk musk

Nasir_bhai
02-11-2006, 03:20 PM

i need to get some new miswaq, thanks for the tips bought keeping it for longer.

jazakallah

The Ruler
02-11-2006, 09:39 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by shanu
da shop is just toooooooo far away :grumbling :hiding: :heated: :giggling:
if ur dyin for ir y not jus go to da shop som how n buy it :? :X

Kittygyal
02-11-2006, 09:46 PM
may a ask wot duz miswaak mean????

The Ruler
02-11-2006, 09:50 PM
its kind of a wooden twig dat u use to sort of clean ur teeth :?
am i rite???
i fink it helps to freshen ur breath as well :X

Kittygyal
02-11-2006, 09:52 PM
lolz thanks alot :) :) :) :) :)

shanu
02-12-2006, 07:02 AM
its a toothbrush used by da prophet, and when u use it 4 wudhu, u will get 70 times more reward. Ahhh bro tagrid, im gg to di shop, but i think i'll go at night as its much cooler :D

shanu
02-12-2006, 07:15 AM
Dear bro islamgyal, this is everytg u need to know abt da miswaak
The history geography, biogrpahy and watever i can think of is in this article ;D

Attachment 880

MISWAAK - twigs of certain trees that are used on a regular basis by Muslims for centuries (and all Prophets Peace upon Them) to maintain oral hygiene and gain the pleasure of Allah SWT. It is a "natural toothbrush." Not only does it provide spiritual benefits, but it is also beneficial to the everyday maintenance of one's mouth, gums, and teeth.

I. Miswaak Quick View of Benefits:
Advantages of the Miswaak:
1. Miswaak strengthens the gums and prevents tooth decay.
2. Miswaak assists in eliminating toothaches and prevents further increase of decay which has already set in.
3. Miswaak creates a fragrance in the mouth.
4. Miswaak is a cure for illness.
5. Miswaak eliminates bad odors and improves the sense of taste.
6. Miswaak sharpens the memory.
7. Miswaak is a cure for headaches.
8. Miswaak creates lustre (noor) on the face of the one who continually uses it.
9. Miswaak causes the teeth to glow.
10. Miswaak strengthens the eyesight.
11. Miswaak assists in digestion.
12. Miswaak clears the voice.
13. The greatest benefit of using miswaak is gaining the pleasure of Allah.
14. The reward of Salaah (Prayers) is multiplied 70 times if Miswaak was used before it.

Times when usage of Miswaak is Sunnah:
1. For the recitation of the Qur'an.
2. For the recitation of Hadith.
3. When the mouth emits and odor.
4. For the learning or teaching of virtues of Islaam.
5. For making Dhikrullah (Remebrance of Allah, meditation).
6. After entering ones home.
7. Before entering any good gathering.
8. When experiencing pangs of hunger and thirst.
9. After the signs of death are evident.
10. At the time of Sehri.
11. Before meals.
12. Before undertaking a journey.
13. On returning from a journey.
14. Before sleeping.
15. Upon awakening.

How long should a Miswaak be?
A Miswaak should not be longer than a "span" i.e. the maximum distance between the tips of the thumb and little finger, and it should not be thicker than a finger's breadth.

How should it be used?
A Miswaak should be held in such a manner that the small finger and thumb is below the miswaak and the remaining fingers on its upper side.
So, dear friends, do you see how easy it is to gain the pleasure of Allah SWT and also stay in good health?!
So... GET YOURS TODAY!
Now let's get into more details...

II. Miswaak: The Whole Story

THE MISWAAK

Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alayhi Wasallam) laid great stress on the use of the Miswaak (a tree-twig used for cleansing the teeth). One of the Sunnats of Wudhu is to use a Miswaak. Wherever a Miswaak is available and is not used, the full beauty and complete Sawaab of the Wudhu is not realised. There are numerous benefits and advantages in using a Miswaak.

HISTORY OF THE MISWAAK
The Miswaak, a tree-twig, was in use for brushing and cleansing the teeth long before the advent of our Holy Nabi (Sallallahu Alayhi Wasallam). In fact the records of our Nabi Muhummad's (Sallallahu Alayhi Wasallam) Ahadith indicate that the Miswaak was the "Sunnah" or practice of all the Ambiyaa (Prophets of Allah)—Peace be upon them.

"Abu Ayyub (R) narrates that Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alayhi Wasallam) said:
'Four things are amongst the practices of the Ambiyaa —circumcision, application of perfume, Miswaak and marriage'." (AHMAD AND TIRMIZI)
Several other Ahadith of our Nabi (Sallallahu Alayhi Wasallam) also mention the Miswaak to have been the practice of the Prophets (Upon Whom Be Peace). Thus, we can safely claim that the practice of using the Miswaak is as old as mankind itself since Mankind's origin on the planet was with the appearance of the first Nabi of Allah, viz. Adam (A.S.). Therefore, among the many advantages and benefits of using the Miswaak, one of the greatest benefits is the good-fortune of being associated with the Ambiyaa in this holy practice. On the other hand, those who neglect the use of the Miswaak invite upon themselves a great misfortune by being deprived of the tremendous amount of Sawaab (Reward) which this noble practice carries.

Allamah Ibn Ismail says:
"It surprises me how people could forgo such a great Sunnah, the significance of which many Ahadith of our Nabi (Sallallahu Alayhi Wasallam) explain. Remember that it is a great loss to neglect the Miswaak."

THE IMPORTANCE OF THE MISWAAK IN ISLAM
Islam has accorded an elevated status to the Miswaak. Its importance has been stressed in many Ahadith of our Holy Nabi (Sallallahu Alayhi Wasallam). The statements and examples of the Sahaba and the Ulama of Islam regarding this practice bear testimony in abundance of the significance of the Miswaak.

Ibn Umar (R) narrates that the Messenger of Allah (Sallallahu Alayhi Wasallam) said:
'Make a regular practice of the Miswaak, for verily, it is healthy for the mouth and it is a Pleasure for the Creator (i.e. Allah is pleased with the Muslim who uses the Miswaak)'." (BUKHARI)
It is clear from this Hadith that two types of benefits accrue from the use of the Miswaak. These could be categorised as follows:
(1) UKHRAWI or Benefits which relate to the Hereafter;
(2) DUNYAWI or Benefits which relate to this worldly life.
The Ukhrawi category comprises the various Sawaabs (Rewards) which the Servant of Allah will obtain in the Hereafter for using the Miswaak. The Dunyawi category comprises the immediate benefits or advantages accruing to the physical human body by the constant use of the Miswaak.

The prime motive of the true Believer in his use of the Miswaak is his desire to obtain the first category of Benefits, i.e. Ukhrawi, the obtainal of the second category being a necessary corollary. This is so, since the only factor which governs the motive and intention of the Believer in his Ibaadat (Worship) is the Pleasure of Allah, our Creator, Nourisher and Sustainer. Hadhrat Ali (R), the fourth Khalif of Islam said:

"Make the Miswaak (i.e. its use) incumbent upon you, and be constant in this practice because Allah's Pleasure is in it and it increases the Reward of Salat from ninety-nine times to four hundred times."

In fact, the importance of the Miswaak is such that at one stage our Nabi (Sallallahu Alayhi Wasallam) was under the impression that Allah Ta'aala might decree the use of the Miswaak Fardh (compulsory) upon the Ummah (Islamic Nation).

Abu Umamah (R) narrates that the Messenger of Allah (Sallallahu Alayhi Wasallam) said:
'Use the Miswaak, for verily, it purifies the mouth, and it is a Pleasure for the Lord. Jib-ra-eel (A.S.) exhorted me so much to use the Miswaak that I feared that its use would be decreed obligatory upon me and upon my Ummah. If I did not fear imposing hardship on my Ummah I would have made its use obligatory upon my people. Verily, I use the Miswaak so much that I fear the front part of my mouth being peeled (by constant and abundant brushing with the Miswaak)'." (IBN MAJAH)

"Abu Hurairah (R) narrates that Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alayhi Wasallam) said: 'Was it not for my fear of imposing a difficulty on my Ummah I would have ordered that the Miswaak be used for every Salaat'." (BUKHARI)

Hadith:
Hadhrat Shah Waliullah (R) relates the following :"The Messenger of Allah (Sallallahu Alayhi Wasallam) said: 'I was commanded to use the Miswaak to such an extent that I thought the Miswaak would be made obligatory'." (AHMAD and TIBRANI)
Ibn Abbas (R) narrates the following Hadith:

"The Messenger of Allah (Sallallahu Alayhi Wasallam) said: 'I was commanded so much to use the Miswaak that I thought Wahi of the Qurtaan (Revelation) would be revealed, regarding it (i.e. its use)'." (ABU YA'LAA)

Although the use of the Miswaak was not made Fardh (compulsory) upon the Ummah, nevertheless its use was Fardh upon our Nabi (Sallallahu Alayhi Wasallam). This is borne out by the following Hadith: "Aisha (R) narrates that Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alayhi Wasallam): said:
'These (practices), viz., Miswaak, Witr Salaat and Tahajjud Salaat, are Sunnat for you and Fardh for me'."
Hadhrat Abu Hurairah (R) narrates:
"The Messenger of Allah (Sallallahu Alayhi Wasallam) would use the Miswaak (regularly) prior to sleeping and after rising from sleep." (MUNTAKHAB)

Imam Ghazali (R), in his Ihya-ul-Uloom, has enum,erated ten Aadaab (Respects or duties) of sleep. The very first of these being purity and the use of the Miswaak (before sleeping).

Allamah Sha'rani (R) states in the Kitaab, Kashful Ghummah, that Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alayhi Wasallam): advised:
"Whenever you retire for sleep, use the Miswaak."

Shaikh Abu Hamid (R) has said likewise in his Kitaab known as RAUNAQ.

Hadhrat Ibn Umar (R) says that many a time Rasulullah used the Miswaak as much as four times in a single night. Hadhrat Aishah (R) narrates: "Verily, the Messenger of Allah (Sallallahu Alayhi Wasallam) would use the Miswaak before making Wudhu (ablutions) whenever he arose from sleep, whether it be during the night or during the day." (ABU DAWOOD)

Similar Ahadith have been narrated by Imam Ahmad (R) and Abu Yatlaa (R). Imam Ghazali (R] has mentioned in his Ihya-ul-Uloom that a person before sleeping at night should keep his water and Miswaak ready and close at hand. As soon as he wakes from sleep during the night he should immediately use the water and the Miswaak, and engage in the remembrance of Allah. Hadhrat Ibn Abbas (R) states: "The Messenger of Allah (Sallallahu Alayhi Wasallam): would use the Miswaak at night time (i.e. Tahajjud time) after every two Rakaats Salaat he (Sallallahu Alayhi Wasallam) performed." (IBN MAJAH)

Allamah Aini (R) has recorded the following in Bunayah: "It is Mustahab to use the Miswaak after every two Rakaats of Tahajjud Salaat (i.e. the Salaat which is performed after midnight), as well as on Fridays, before sleeping, after Witr Salaat and when rising in the morning." (BUNAYAH)

MISWAAK UPON ENTERING HOME
"Shuraih (R) narrates that he asked Aisha (R): 'What was the first thing Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alayhi Wasallam) did upon entering the house?' Aisha (R) replied: 'Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alayhi Wasallam) would use the Miswaak'." (MUSLIM)

MISWAAK UPON LEAVING HOME
"Whenever Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alayhi Wasallam) left the house he would use the Miswaak." (KASHFUL GHUMMAH)

MISWAAK BEFORE AND AFTER MEALS
"Abu Hurairah (R) said: "I have used the Miswaak before sleeping, after rising, before eating and after eating, ever since I heard the Nabi (Sallallahu Alayhi Wasallam) advising so'." (AHMAD)

MISWAAK BEFORE RECITING THE HOLY QUR'AAN
"Hadhrat Ali (R) said: 'Verily, your mouths are the pathways of the Qur'aan (i.e. you recite with your mouth), therefore cleanse your mouth with the Miswaak thoroughly'." (IBN MAJAH)
"The use of the Miswaak has greater emphasis when one intends to perform Salaat, Wudhu and reciting the Qur'aan." (BUNAYAH)

MISWAAK ON FRIDAYS
"Ibn Sabaaq (R) narrates that Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alayhi Wasallam) said on one Friday: 'O Gathering of Muslims, Allah has made this Day (Friday) a Day of Eid for Muslims, therefore, bathe (on this day), use perfume and regard the use of the Miswaak (on this day) as an obligation upon you'." (MUATTA IMAM MUHAMMAD)

'Suhail Bin Hanief states that Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alayhi Wasallam) said that to bathe and use the Miswaak on Fridays are of the Hugooq (Rights or Duties) of Friday."

MISWAAK DURING FASTING
"Aamir Bin Rabiyah (R) narrates: 'I have seen Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alayhi Wasallam) using the Miswaak many a time while fasting'." (IBN MAJAH)

In another Hadith our Nabi (Sallallahu Alayhi Wasallam) said that one of the best characteristics of a fasting person is his use of the Miswaak.
The majority of the Ulama have opined that it is Sunnat to use the Miswaak while fasting. It is recorded in Fataawa Siraajiah that a fasting person may use a dry or a moist (i.e. fresh, green) Miswaak.

It is recorded in many Ahadith that the Messenger of Allah (Sallallahu Alayhi Wasallam) and his Sahaba were in the habit of having their Miswaaks on their persons while on a journey or during battles. In the Kitaab, Kashful Ghummah it is mentioned that during battle the Companions of Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alayhi Wasallam) would store their Miswaaks in the scabbards of their swords for use at the time of Salaat.

Allamah Sha'rani (R) states in Kashful Ghummah that the Messenger of Allah (Sallallahu Alayhi Wasallam) said: "Whoever spurns or rejects the Miswaak is not of us (Muslims)."

Hadhrat Ibn Mubarak (R) said: "If the inhabitants of a city spurn and reject the use of the Miswaak, the Ruler should wage battle against them like he would wage war against the renegades or murtad-deen." (KHAANIYAH)
All the aforegoing Ahadith of our Nabi (Sallallahu Alayhi Wasallam) and the statements of the learned jurists of Islam point clearly to the tremendous importance of the Miswaak in Islam. However, despite its elevated status, significance and importance, this noble practice is neglected and generally discarded by present day Muslims. Needless to say, this is one of the examples of the spiritual and worldly decadence that have set into the Muslim Nation.

The revival of the practice of using the Miswaak instead of the various substitutes is of utmost importance to Muslims. In times such as the present age when we are confronted and surrounded by the satanic forces of irreligiosity, materialism, atheism, vice and immorality, it is of greater importance that Muslims strive most ardently to re-instate the practices or the Sunnah of our beloved Nabi it;. And, of these is the Miswaak. Substitutes, e.g. toothpowders, brushes, etc., should only be resorted to in the event of the non-availability of the Miswaak. To revive a "lost" or a forgotten Sunnah of our Nabi it:—a Sunnah which the followers of Islam have murdered—carries a great and mighty Thawaab (Reward). In this regard our Nabi (Sallallahu Alayhi Wasallam) said: "He who holds on firmly to my Sunnah at a time when my Ummah are (grovelling) in corruption will receive a reward of a hundred martyrs."
And, indeed the MISWAAK IS A GREAT SUNNAH.

THE SAHABAS (COMPANIONS) AND THE MISWAAK
The Sahabas (R) who were the best and the noblest examples and teachers of the Sunnah of our Nabi (Sallallahu Alayhi Wasallam) viewed the Miswaak in a very serious light and regarded it as a practice of supreme holiness. Their constant use of the Miswaak, their continuous exhortations to use the Miswaak and their warnings to those who neglect the Miswaak are ample evidence of the nobility and the importance attached to this practice of using the Miswaak.
Ibn Abbas, Ali and Ataa (R) said:
Ataa (R) said:
"Regard the Miswaak as an obligation on you, and do not be neglectful of it. Be constant in using it, for verily, in it lies the Pleasure of Allah, The Merciful, and in it is greater reward for Salaat . . ."

Hassaan Bin Atiyyah (R) said:
"Miswaak is half of Imaan, and Wudhu is half of Imaan." (SHARHU IHYA-UL-ULOOM)

Abdul Aziz Abu Dawood (R) said:
"Two things of a Muslim are among the best of practices—
(1) Performing Tahajjud Salaat, and
(2) Constancy in the use of the Miswaak."

THE ULAMA AND MISWAAK
Hadhrat Shaukani (R) said: "Miswaak is one of the Laws of Shariah. And, this fact is as clear as daylight. This has been conceded by the peoples of the world." ( NAILIL AUTAAR)

Hadhrat Sha'rani (R) said: "A pledge has been taken from us on behalf of Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alayhi Wasallam) that we be steadfast in the use of the Miswaak at the time of making Wudhu. Should any of us be forgetful then he should tie the Miswaak with a string and hang it around his neck or keep it in his turban (so that it will be at hand when making Wudhu). The general public has broken this pledge . . . It (constancy in the use of the Miswaak) is indicative of the strength of one's Imaan and the degree of respect one has for the Laws of Allah and His Rasool (Sallallahu Alayhi Wasallam). The Messenger of Allah (Sallallahu Alayhi Wasallam) emphasised the use of the Miswaak. And, Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alayhi Wasallam) was not satisfied merely with issuing an order once, but repeatedly exhorted his followers (regarding its use).

"O my Brother. Be constant in the Sunnah of Muhammad if: so that you may attain the great rewards of the Hereafter. Verily, for every Sunnah there is a rank in Jannat and this rank is obtained only by fulfilment of that Sunnah.
"To the indolent and neglectful people who say that it is
permissible to leave this practice (Miswaak) it will be said on the Day of Qiyamah: 'Today, it is permissible to deprive you of this Rank in Jannah.'
"Abul Qaasim Ibn Qasi (R) has stated this in his Kitaab. Khulun Na'lain." (LAWAAQIUL ANWAAR)

Allamah Aini (R) says: "Abu Amr (R) said that upon the significance of the Miswaak concensus of opinion exists. There is no difference of opinion on this score. According to all learned men of Islam, Salaat performed after using the Miswaak is far nobler than a Salaat without Miswaak. Auzaai (R) said that Miswaak is half of Wudhu." (AL-BUNAAYAH)

Shaikh Muhammad (R) said: "Verily, over a hundred Hadith have been narrated regarding the significance of the Miswaak. Therefore, it is a great astonishment to behold that so many among mankind as well as among the learned neglect such an important practice which has been emphasized to such an extent. This is a great loss." (SUBL)

AADAAB OR RESPECTS TO BE OBSERVED REGARDING THE MISWAAK
The majority of the Ulama hold the view that the use of the Miswaak is not Fardh (compulsory). Howeyer, despite it not being decreed Fardh by the Shariah, it is of utmost importance. It is likewise essential that all the Aadaab pertaining to the Miswaak be observed. Neglect of the Aadaab is a sign of spiritual indolence and weakness of Imaan. In order to achieve the Sawaub of a particular practice in full measure it is necessary that the Aadaab relating to the practice be observed. If neglect is shown towards the Aadanb, the final result will be the neglect of that very practice. In the Kituab, Ta'leemul Muta-allim the following is stated:
"He who becomes neglectful about the Aadaab is deprived of the Sunnats; and he who becomes neglectful of the Sunnats is deprived of the Faraa-idh (compulsory acts); and he who becomes neglectful of the Faraaidh is deprived of the Hereafter." (TA'LEEMUL MUTA-ALLIM)

Faqih Abu Laith Samarqandi (R) states:
"As long as the Servant of Allah safeguards the Aadaab Satan does not attempt to assault him (i.e. mislead him). However, when he neglects the Aadaab Satan makes advances into the Sunnats (i.e. misleads the Servant from the Sunnats). Thereafter follows Satan's assault on the faraa-idh (compulsory duties). This is followed by Satan's assault on Ikhlaas (sincerity), and finally on Yaqeen (Faith). Hence, it is necessary for a person to protect the Aadaab of all his affairs and actions, e g. the Aadaab of selling and the Aadaab of Wudhu, Salaat, buying, etc. (BUSTAANUL AARIFEEN)

TYPES OF MISWAAKS
It is permissible to take for a Miswaak all types of tree twigs provided these are not harmful or poisonous. It is forbidden to use a Miswaak from a poisonous tree. Miswaaks from the following trees are not permissible:
(1) Pomegranate
(2) Bamboo
(3) Raihaan
(4) Chambelie
Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alayhi Wasallam) FORBADE THE USE OF Raihaan as Miswaak because it causes the sickness, Juz-zaam
The following are the types of Miswaak are recommended:
(1) Peelo tree
(2) Zaitoon or Olive tree
(3) Bitam or
(4) Any bitter tree
(5) Walnut tree
Miswaak of the Peelo Tree
"And, the best of Miswaaks is the Peelo, then the Olive." (KABIRI)
The best type of Miswaak is that which is taken from the Peelo tree. In the Kitaab, Ta-heelul Manaa-fi' it is mentioned that the miswaak of the Peelo tree is excellent for obtaining the glow or glitter of the teeth.
Our Nabi (Sallallahu Alayhi Wasallam) also praised and recommended the Peelo tree for Miswaak purposes. Besides recommending the Peelo tree, Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alayhi Wasallam) as well as the Sahaabas (R) used Miswaaks of this tree. Ibn Sa'd (R) narrates that Abu Khabrah (R) said:
"Nabi (Sallallahu Alayhi Wasallam) presented me with a Miswaak of the Peelo tree, and he (Sallallahu Alayhi Wasallam) said:
'Use the Miswaak of the Peelo tree'."

Ibn Masood (R) said:
"I always kept a stock of Peelo Miswaaks for Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alayhi Wasallam)"
In the Kitaab, Mawaahib, it is stated that the Companions of Imam Shafi (R) have recorded Concensus of Opinion among them on the fact that the use of the Peelo Miswaak is Mustahab (i.e. an Islamic practice which carries much Sawaab (Reward) if upheld, and in the event of not fulfilling it no punishment will be meted out).

Miswaak of the Olive Tree
Rasullulah (Sallallahu Alayhi Wasallam) has spoken highly of the Miswaak of this tree as well. The following Hadith brings out the significance of the Olive tree Miswaak:
"Use the Miswaak of the Olive tree. It is the Miswaak of a Mubarak (auspicious or gracious) tree. It purifies and makes wholesome the mouth. It removes the yellowishness of the teeth. It is my (i.e. Rasulullah's (Sallallahu Alayhi Wasallam)) Miswaak and the Miswaak of the Ambiyaa (Prophets) who came before me." (MUNTAKHAB)

Miswaak of the Bitam Tree
In another Hadith it is stated that in the absence of the Peelo tree the Olive tree should be used, and in the absence of the Olive Miswaak, the Bitam tree Miswaak should be used. (MUNTAKHAB)

Miswaak of some bitter tree
If none of the three abovementioned types of Miswaak is available, a Miswaak of any bitter tree should be used (KUHASTANI)
" . . Thereafter it is Mustahab to use a Miswaak of a bitter tree because the Miswaak of a bitter tree removes odor of the mouth to a greater extent." (KABIRI)

In Alamgiri it is stated that the Miswaak of a bitter tree makes the mouth wholesome, strengthens the teeth and the gums.

Miswask of the Walnut Tree
Mistwaak of the Walnut tree has been recommended in the Kitaab, Taise.

NIYYAT OR INTENTION OF USING THE MISWAAK
"Niyyat of using the Miswaak should be made prior to its use." (SHARE MINHAAJ)

The following duaa should also be recited at the time of using the Miswaak:

Translation: "O Allah, Purify my mouth: Enlighten my heart: Purify my body; And make my body unlawful to the Fire." (BUNAYAH)

AADAAB (Etiquette) OF THE MISWAAK
(1) The Miswaak should be a straight twig, devoid of roughness.
(2) The Miswaak should be clean.
(3) The Miswaak should not be too hard nor too soft.
(4) The Miswaak should not be used while one is lying down.
(5) The new Miswaak should be approximately 8 inches (a hand-span) in length.
(6) The Miswaak should be the thickness of the forefinger.
(7) Before using the Miswaak, it should be washed.
(8) After use it should be washed as well.
(9) The Miswaak should not be sucked.
(10) The Miswaak should be placed vertically when not in use. It should not be thrown onto the ground.
(11) If the Miswaak is dry it should be moistened with water prior to use. This is Mustahab. It is preferable to moisten it with Rose water.
(12) The Miswaak should not be used in the toilet.
(13) The Miswaak should be used at least thrice (brush three times) for each section of the mouth, e.g. brush the upper layer of teeth thrice, then the lower layer thrice, etc.
(14) The Miswaak should not be used at both ends.
(15) The Miswaak should not be taken from an unknown tree as it may be poisonous.

ADVANTAGES AND BENEFITS OF THE MISWAAK
(1) Eliminates bad odour and improves the sense of taste
Allamah Ibn Daqiq (R) says: "The wisdom underlying the use of the Miswaak after rising from sleep is that during sleep bad vapours rise from the stomach towards the mouth. This causes bad odour in the mouth as well as a change in the sense of taste. Use of the Miswaak eliminates the bad odor and rectifies the change which occurred in the taste." (NALE WA TA'LEEQ)
(2) Sharpens the Memory
Hadhrat Ali (R) said that "Miswaak sharpens the memory.
(3) Sharpens the Intelligence
"Four things increase the Intelligence—
(i) Shunning of nonsensical talks
(ii) Use of the Miswaak
(iii) Sitting in the company of the pious, and
(iv) Sitting in the company of the Ulama." (TIBBE NABAWI)
(4) Eliminates Slime
Hadhrat Ali (R) said that "Miswaak removes slime." (IHYA-UL-ULOOM)
(5) A Cure for Illness
Hadhrat Aisha (R) said that "Miswaak (its constant use) is a cure for all illness excepting Death." (REPORTED BY DAILAMI IN FIRDAUS)
(6) Miswaak creates fragrance in the mouth.
(7) Miswaak strengthens the gums.
(8) Miswaak prevents tooth decay.
(9) Miswaak prevents further increase of decay which has already set in the teeth.
(10) Miswaak is a cure for headaches.
(11) Miswaak assists in eliminating toothaches.
(12) Miswaak creates lustre (Noor) on the face of the one who continually uses it.
(13) Miswaak causes the teeth to glow.
(14) Miswaak removes the yellowishness of the teeth.
(15) Miswaak strengthens the eye-sight.
(16) Miswaak is beneficial for the health of the entire body.
(17) Miswaak assists in the process of Digestion.
(18) Miswaak is a cure for a certain mouth disease known as Qilaa'- This is stated in Hujjatul Baaleghah.
(19) Miswaak clears the voice. This is stated in TibbeNabawi.
(20) Miswaak facilitates the appetite (Tibbe Nabawi).
(21) Miswaak increases the eloquence of one's speech. Abu Hurairah (R) said that "Miswaak increases the eloquence of a person." (AL-JAAMI')
(22) Miswaak (i.e. its constant use) will be ~ factor to ease the pangs of Death. The continuous use of the Miswaak makes it easy for the Rooh (Soul) to depart from the body when its appointed time arrives. (SHARHUS SUDOOR)
(23) Miswaak increases the Thawaab (reward) of Salaat (prayer) from seventy times to four hundred times. (HADITH)
(24) Miswaak is a factor which will earn higher ranks in Jannat for the one who uses it
(25) The Angels sing the praises of the one who uses the Miswaak.
(26) Use of the Miswaak displeases Shaitaan.
(27) Use of the Miswaak graces one with the companionship of the Angels.
(28) And, the greatest benefit of using the Miswaak is the attainment of Allah Ta'ala's Pleasure.

SUBSTITUTES FOR THE MISWAAK
(1) The Fingers
In the case of the non-availability of the Miswaak the fingers should be used to cleanse the teeth. This method will serve the purpose of the Miswaak as far as the Sawaab is concerned, i.e. if a Miswaak is not availa e the Sawaab (Reward) attendant to the Miswaak will be realised by using the fingers as a substitute provided that Niyyat (intention) of Miswaak be made when the fingers are used for this purpose. "Rubbing the teeth with the forefinger and the thumb (MUHEET)

Hadhrat Amr Bin Auf Muzni (R) states that the fingers could be used as an adequate substitute for the Miswaak in the case of the latter's absence.

"Imam Tahtaawi (R) says: 'The promised Reward (of using the Miswaak) shall be obtained in the event of the non-availability of the Miswaak, and not in the event of its availability'."

In other words, if a Miswaak is available and you are able to use same then the Sawaab of it will not be realised by using a substitute.

(2) Cloth
A coarse piece of cloth may also be used in case of the non-availability of a Miswaak. Those who have no teeth should use the fingers or a cloth as substitutes for the Miswaak, and they will obtain the Sawaab. But Niyyat of the Miswaak should be made.
"And, the significance of the Miswaak shall be obtained even though the finger or a cloth be used in the event of the non-availability of the Miswaak." (SHURAMBALI)

(3) Toothbrush
If the toothbrush is made of bristles (pig's hair) then its use is not permissible. If bristles are not used, the use of the toothbrush is permissible. However, the toothbrush will not serve as a substitute in the case of the Miswaak being available. If a Miswaak is available Reward will not be realised by using the toothbrush. The same applies to toothpowder or any other means of cleansing the teeth. It should be remembered here that during the time of our Nabi (Sallallahu Alayhi Wasallam) substitutes, e.g. toothpowder, etc., existed, but our Nabi (Sallallahu Alayhi Wasallam) never equated these with the Miswaak. Therefore, the argument of the modernist that the toothbrush today takes the place of the Miswaak is fallacious and a good example of the apologetic attitude adopted by modern Muslims of today.

maryam (",)
02-12-2006, 10:46 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by cheese

LOL bro

and i didnt know you can get a flavoured miswak!!! wild! what kind of flavours? strawberry.. chocolate? or am i dreaming? :D

believe it or not...u actually do get flavoured miswaaks :P
one's i've seen include lemon and mint...oooo how refreshing
u also get miswaak toothpaste!!!!

maryam (",)
02-12-2006, 10:48 PM
S H A N U PrOdUcTioNz
PRESENTING
[BANANA]HaNgInG gArDeN of Di miSwAAk[/BANANA]
Attachment 879

This is ma miswaak, safely hanging out of the reach of ants, safe from moisture and moulds. Now, ur wonderng how come its so small. Well initiaally it was a long miswaak, but one day it broke into half, now im using one half of it, Haiz must be economical cos da shop is just toooooooo far away :grumbling :hiding: :heated: :giggling:

Miswaak gt musk flavor, yummmmmmy, musky musk musk
ever thort of making a miswaak mobile?

shanu
02-13-2006, 05:43 AM
haha i must invent one?
Hey i didnt know there was miswaak toothpaste
When i 1st bought a miswaak, ma sis laughed at me. She thot i was silly becos she hadnt really read much abt our religion. Then she made fun of my little stick standing beside all da toothbrushes, she says if a vistor comes n sees a stick beside all da toothbrushes, the vistor may think a tribal woman or tarzan is living in da house ;D

Snowflake
02-18-2006, 07:05 PM
Hey Shanu sis, if you want I could parcel you a bundle of miswaks from the UK? :D

Muezzin
02-18-2006, 07:06 PM
Re: My miswaak gets murdered all da time. WHY???
Because you keep going down those damn dark alleys at night. :p

Sis_ReNa
02-19-2006, 02:18 PM
Assakamu alaikum
I have been using miswaak for some time now. And the 1st one was attacked by ants after sometime, and so i had to replace it, the 2nd one is still standing and im still using it, Alhamdulliah. I decided to buy a 3rd one to keep as a stand by, so i used it just once on MUharram one, after that i put it safely in a plastic bag and continued using ma current one until it wears out. Lately i just looked at ma new one as i love its smell and founf mOuld on it :heated: , I was so upset, becos my current one can wear out any time and im so used to a miswaak n i cant live without one. My dad washed it and said you can use the miswaak. But there are moulds!!!! N he just washed it off!!! Can i continue to use such a miswaak even if has been washed and cleaned? Wat are the proper methods of keeping miswaak so they will live longer? How to save dem from ants n moulds? The place to buy miswaak are miles away... n i just came back from there :( n i cant imagine gg there again in da hot sun!!! PLsss help meeeee :offended:
ok anything that has mositur and you put it in a bag it will spoil and get mold. that gose with anything. cus it has no room to breath and the bactira that makes that mold dosnt have room to move. it is not a good idea to use it after it molds. most likly your a healthy person but some times the bactira from the mold can make you sick. just keep it out of a back and up right like a brother had said. and it should be fine. I dont know if you put water on it. but there could be mostior in the miswaak it self.
my little 2 cents hope it helps.
Rena

shanu
02-19-2006, 05:53 PM
hehe
i wash ma miswaak after i use, n den i placed in da bag, no wonder the mould murdered it. I have no choice, but walk all da way to arab street tommorow to get ma miswaak :'( as its only sold there

IceQueen~
07-09-2007, 06:46 PM
wash it everytime you use it and try squeeze all the excess water out, shake it and dry it with a tissue or something then leave it standing upright in a place where it can get plenty of fresh air and it should keep inshaAllah

also best not to store ones for the future cos they might just get terminated:)

07-09-2007, 06:53 PM
You have to keep replacing them anyway- keep chopping off the top bit every so often and then when its too small to use then replace it :p

otherwise it's bound to get murdered lol

Ummu Sufyaan
07-10-2007, 05:42 AM
:sl: sis.
well i havn't read all the posts, so maybe what im about to say has already been suggested. just put your miswaak in in a dry area, like a window seal, where inshalah it should remain dry. i've noticed that mine goes abit funny if i don't leave it out to dry after wetting it.

amirah_87
07-10-2007, 10:28 AM

Keeping your spare miswaaks in the freezer helps to keep it fresh.

Dont ask me, My mum does that. Lol

AmarFaisal
07-10-2007, 12:50 PM
hmm...I tried using Maswaks when I went for Umrah in Ramadan. It was the first time n I wasn't sure how to use them. Do u chew on the stick or use it like a brush. Anyway, the Miswak that was selling around in the streets of makkah n was most common would always break into small pieces in my mouth and I had to spit it out. Was that because I should have bought better quality Miswaks? I saw policemen there who alays had miswaks hanging in their mouths, (even where I worked my supervisor did that). So how do u use miswak?

Umar001
07-10-2007, 01:00 PM
I garantee, I have seen it myself, this French brother who comes to the Uk sometimes but lives in Yemen, brings Perfume and Miswak, and his Miswak is always fresh, I asked him what his secret was, and he explained it to me, I would normally sell this information but I will give it to yall for free.

For those in the Uk, london specially, you know the corner shops give you those cheap plastic bags, which are not very strong, the proper weak ones, he said, put it in those bags so that there is enough air for them but not too much, it allows it to breathe but not to become dry.

:D

------
05-14-2008, 12:17 PM
:salamext:

Use a toothbrush and toothpaste. :-\

missmodesty
05-15-2008, 01:13 AM
wow! i never knew miswak was so complicated :P . hehe. i was always curious as to why my miswak was allways damp in the bag :P .. freezer idea is brilliant! tell me, what is the best tasting miswak stick???

truemuslim
05-15-2008, 01:15 AM
wow a year old advice thread back from the dead......

EDIT: WOW a TWO year old advice thread back from the dead....DOT

missmodesty
05-15-2008, 01:21 AM
can i ask (again :P ).. how do u tie a miswak up?? doesnt the miswak just fall through the string?? and how do u know if it has mould on ?? :-/

ismahan
05-19-2008, 08:34 PM
Well Dis Is Wah I Do:
I Keep 1 For Myself And I Usually Have Extra Ones But I Dnt Put Them In A Plastic Bag I Put Them In Da Fridge Lol I Knoee Might Sound Stupid But Seriously It Works And Wen Da Other Wen Is No Use 4 Me Anymore I Get Da 1 4rm Da Fridge And I Leave It In A Cup Of Cold Water For Like Half A Daii (12 Hours) And Then Its Ready To Be Used In Da Night Lol Simple :):):)

Güven
05-19-2008, 08:37 PM
Forgive me But WHAT is a miswaak ???

Ayoub
05-19-2008, 08:50 PM
Why not use a toothbrush?

'Abd al-Baari
05-19-2008, 09:04 PM

Why not use a toothbrush?
As the brother said, Miswaak is from the Sunnah, which brings many rewards bi'ithnillah. Also i'm sure that most people that use a Miswaak, also use a toothbrush. :)

*charisma*
05-19-2008, 09:09 PM
Assalamu Alaikum

format_quote Originally Posted by Güven
Forgive me But WHAT is a miswaak ???
It's like a piece of wood that's used for cleaning the teeth.

Looks like:

The people's teeth who I've seen use miswaak regularly have the whitest teeth everrrr mashallah :D It's actually a lot better than a toothbrush, has a lot of benefits mashallah.

fi aman allah
w'salaam

Güven
05-19-2008, 09:15 PM
Oooo I now that My grandpa Had one of those I thought it was just a handmade tootbrush ( It is :D)

AvarAllahNoor
05-20-2008, 12:27 AM
Call the Police if it's murdered!!

BTW - What's a miswaak...??

snakelegs
05-20-2008, 01:49 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by AvarAllahNoor

BTW - What's a miswaak...??
see post #49.

AvarAllahNoor
05-20-2008, 02:45 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by snakelegs
see post #49.
Oooooh me ol' grampa used to use that. I thought it was the bark from the tree in the garden, so went to get a piece....it was vile! :cry:

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.