/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Drawing living things

Prawned
02-07-2006, 05:17 AM
If you cannot draw living things, what are you supposed to do for medical texts to teach medicine and anatomy to doctors so they can help the sick?

What of other sciences which study living things? You can't do this through word of mouth.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Prawned
02-07-2006, 06:45 AM
No responses yet huh? Interesting...

Umu 'Isa
02-07-2006, 06:51 AM
i dont know if any of us have the knowledge to answer this.. wait till someone does and im sure they will answer u :)

Malaikah
02-07-2006, 07:06 AM
The Hanbalî jurist Ibn Qudâmah writes: “If a vital part of the animal is deleted, such as its chest area or its belly, or the head was drawn separate from the body, then it is not prohibited. However, if the deleted part does not prevent such a creature from living, such as removing the eye, hand, or leg, then it is still a complete image and is prohibited.” [al-Mughnî (10/199)]

Drawing an image with all the essential parts for life - such as the chest area, the abdomen, the head - will surely be prohibited even if the person does not intend to draw someone specific and just something from his imagination. The prohibition will be there as long as the drawing looks like a living creature, whether human or animal. This is unlawful. This is the emulation of Allah’s creation. It was mentioned in an authentic hadîth that Allah said: “Who is more of an oppressor than the one who aspires to create as I create.”
From: http://islamtoday.com/show_detail_se...&main_cat_id=1

Based on the above what you were refering too should be ok. i dont see why medical textbooks would have drawn images of the full human body intact, cant they just take a photgraph. well anyway im not so sure, but im assuming there main interest is what is inside us so that means that if, for xample they draw a figure showing internal organs then that should be ok, or if they omit the head or something.

Sorry i cant find any better links for you at the moment. But the best i can say that it is possible to have such images, but they would need to be altered so they are compatable with the above qoute in order for them to be lawful.

Peace.

p.s. or you can just use real photographs, even though that is so YUK but still provides a solution to your issue.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Prawned
02-07-2006, 07:07 AM
It seems like apretty straight forward question though. Do you really need to phone an Imam in the middle of the night to give an answer?

Umu 'Isa
02-07-2006, 07:16 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Prawned
It seems like apretty straight forward question though. Do you really need to phone an Imam in the middle of the night to give an answer?
no but if we give incorrect answers thats haram.
and i think sister cheese answered your question

Malaikah
02-07-2006, 07:17 AM
Anything can seem straight forward when the thinker doesnt really understand the depth of the issue at hand. Not every thing is as obvious as it seems.

Prawned
02-07-2006, 09:45 AM
Um, no. This is pretty straight forward.

Prawned
02-07-2006, 09:47 AM
Oh and cheese, is that a drawing of living creatures in your avatar?

akulion
02-07-2006, 10:00 AM
oh sorry i didnt see your post earlier or i would have answered your question a long time ago

YES it is allowed to use diagrams of animals and even human beings where educational pursuits are concerned.

Let me introduce you to some of the worlds "premier" human anatomy and animal anatomy diagrams made by muslims long ago when we had an Islamic state:

Biology (dated 17th century)

Arabic medicine was in advance in Europe throughout the middle ages, and from the first medical school of Salerno down to Vesalius, Western doctors learned from their Muslim counterparts

Optics (dated 1083)

Ibn al-Haytham's Optics, written in Egypt in the first half of the 11th Century, represented a theory of vision that went beyond Galen, Euclid and Ptolemy. This diagram of the two eyes seen from above, shows the principal tunics and humorous and the optic nerves connecting the eyeballs to the brain

Oceanography

While the rest of the world lay in dark ages, Muslim scholars went as far as classifying fishes and marine life. The first ever recorded venture into the field of oceanography. Apart from this the Muslims were also well known for their exploration of the oceans and continents.

Malaikah
02-07-2006, 10:01 AM
Oh and cheese, is that a drawing of living creatures in your avatar?
Aha! Glad you noticed. Well, this is what i mean about things not being as simple as they seem. I recall reading somewhere that cartoons are different to drawing since they do not really resemble a living creature, thats why i kept that avatar. But thanks for the reminder- i should look back in to this issue as i cant recall where i read that (it may not have been a realible source) and it may be that i misunderstood something (I am only human after all).

Oh, and please do not think that there is so much doubt in Islam. It is only with somethings where the scholars of the present time have to come to a decision based on the Quran and sunnah becuase there is a direct reference.

Prawned
02-07-2006, 10:06 AM
Yeah I'm still confsed. Why is there a thread debating drawing things versus photographing them? And if a mirror is haraam or not? I mean, it just doesnt seem consistent.

akulion
02-07-2006, 10:09 AM
well some people go a lil over board in my opinion

and then also everyone has their right to hold opinions

so wheras I say and believe that usage of photography and diagrams is essential to and allowed in islam for the purpose of gaining knowledge

others argue that it is not

long debate - ull have to read the entire thread u are referring to

Prawned
02-07-2006, 10:12 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by akulion
ull have to read the entire thread u are referring to

Do I really have to?

I mean, I will if I have to. I mean, if I really have to. But I'd rather not, if I were given the option. But I guess I don't have the option.

akulion
02-07-2006, 10:19 AM
well if you do you will gain a more clearer picture of what different opinions people hold really

Malaikah
02-07-2006, 10:22 AM
Yeah I'm still confsed. Why is there a thread debating drawing things versus photographing them? And if a mirror is haraam or not? I mean, it just doesnt seem consistent.
For the record, mirrors are not haram, and there are different opinions about whether photography is allowed.

The thing is- when it comes to these uncertain topics such as photography, you are allowed to follow which ever fatwa that you feel is best. There are some who think photography is ok, and some who think it is haram (i am refering to scholars). As an individual we can choose to follow which ever opinion we personally feel is best, based on the evidence given. And inshaallah if we end up following the 'wrong' opinion (as determined by God swt), we will not be punished.

Prawned
02-07-2006, 10:28 AM
That's just super

Snowflake
02-07-2006, 10:31 AM
Prawn,

A mirror can't be compared to drawings and photography. And I think Akulion answered your question when he said: usage of photography and diagrams is essential to and allowed in islam for the purpose of gaining knowledge

Medical text books are full of drawings/diagrams of the human body and parts. How else can students learn? Impermissability applies to drawings and photography in displaying complete images of living things. Hope that makes sense.

Prawned
02-07-2006, 11:07 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Nadia Waheed
Prawn,

A mirror can't be compared to drawings and photography. And I think Akulion answered your question when he said: usage of photography and diagrams is essential to and allowed in islam for the purpose of gaining knowledge

Medical text books are full of drawings/diagrams of the human body and parts. How else can students learn? Impermissability applies to drawings and photography in displaying complete images of living things. Hope that makes sense.

No not really. That doesn't really make sense. Who draws the living things which get printed in text books? Is it haraam for him (or her I guess) to do so? Surely they must be drawn before they are printed? (Oh and who prints them? Is that also haraam? But someone has to do it right?)

I'm still very confused about this and no one here has given me a straight answer.

Malaikah
02-07-2006, 11:21 AM
That's just super
You could try being:
1. polite
2. patient
3. understanding that we are not scholars

mizan_aliashraf
02-07-2006, 11:25 AM
Salam
From a shari'i perspective, drawing things which have a SOUL in them is prohibited as it leads to shirk. Images of people that are drawn leads to shirk as does statues.
Photography is a different issue and there is an ikhtilaaf (difference of opinion) on this issue. I take the opinion that it is allowed.
Wassalam

Snowflake
02-07-2006, 11:29 AM
No not really. That doesn't really make sense. Who draws the living things which get printed in text books? Is it haraam for him (or her I guess) to do so? Surely they must be drawn before they are printed? (Oh and who prints them? Is that also haraam? But someone has to do it right?)

I'm still very confused about this and no one here has given me a straight answer.

:) It's ok prawned.

Photographs which are essential are permitted - such as those required for identity documents, or for identifying or pursuing criminals [e.g. "wanted" posters and the like - translator's note], or for educational purposes which cannot be achieved otherwise. The principle in Shari'ah is that we should not exaggerate about what is necessary.

See link below if you wish to read more about this topic :)

http://members.tripod.com/safia71/pictures.htm

Abdugafur
02-12-2006, 08:34 AM
I have read a fatwa which gives permission to draw the living beings. According to it, today there is no danger of worshipping these pictures among muslims. At the time of prophet (saw) there was widespread to worship pictures and monuments. Therefore our prophet strictly prohibited to draw and make.

WALLOHU ALAM

abdul Majid
02-12-2006, 08:51 AM
hadith - Bukhari 3:428, Narrated Said bin Abu Al-Hasan

While I was with Ibn 'Abbas a man came and said, "O father of 'Abbas! My sustenance is from my manual profession and I make these pictures." Ibn 'Abbas said, "I will tell you only what I heard from Allah's Apostle . I heard him saying, 'Whoever makes a picture will be punished by Allah till he puts life in it, and he will never be able to put life in it.' " Hearing this, that man heaved a sigh and his face turned pale. Ibn 'Abbas said to him, "What a pity! If you insist on making pictures I advise you to make pictures of trees and any other unanimated objects."
[PIE][/PIE]

abdul Majid
02-12-2006, 08:52 AM
also [PIE]Hadith - Bukhari 4:448, Narrated Abu Talha

I heard Allah's Apostle saying; "Angels (of Mercy) do not enter a house wherein there is a dog or a picture of a living creature (a human being or an animal)." [/PIE]

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.