/* */

PDA

View Full Version : The Benefits from Henna

sonz
02-08-2006, 02:15 PM
The Prophet (saws) never suffered from a wound or a thorn without putting Henna on it

- Hadith, naratted by Umm Salamah
(RadiAllahu anha)

[at-Tirmidhi, al-Bayhaqi]

The Prophet used Henna both as a dye for his hair and for healing ailments of the body. Today, scientists are discovering the great advantages and strengths possessed by it. To the extent that it is sometimes termed the "Magic Plant".
Natural, inexpensive, beautiful, pure and endorsed by the RasulAllah -- what more could you ask for!?

Listed below are some common problems and ailments which can easily be cured from the use of Henna:

General application

Henna in paste or powdered form

Burns

Apply henna paste or powdered form to 1st or 2nd degree burns reduce pain and fluid loss from the burn site has an anti-microbial effect and so reduces the risk of infection. It also sticks on the wound site until healing is complete

Wounds & ulcers

Henna in paste or powdered form promotes wound healing especially chronic wounds and ulcers, apply locally

Anti-hemorrhage effect

One dose of henna is generally sufficient for nose bleeding (epistaxis) providing a long-lasting cure. Better than cauterization which may cause recurrence but the only side effect of henna here is that it can cause slight sneezing. Henna can be used at other sites like a bleeding duodenal ulcer or oesophagal varicose veins with no known side effects

Anti-viral effect

Treats warts and herpes simplex (applied as a powder it dries the vesicles at the site prevents ulceration and crust formation and prevents secondary infection). It can also be used to treat AIDS

Hair dye

Add Olive Oil to henna to soften and condition, hot Hibiscus tea to enrich red tones, hot strong Black tea to bring out golden lights & drab down red-orange tones. Onion or Lemon juice works well with neutral henna to brighten and Apple cider vinegar will help fix color on grey hair.

Pains

A paste made of the leaves, applied on the affected area, is soothing and gives relief

Sore throat

Soak henna leaves in water and use as a gargle

Source:

Henna

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
MetSudaisTwice
02-08-2006, 02:18 PM
salam
jazakallah for posting, it is very useful
wasalam

DaSangarTalib
02-08-2006, 02:20 PM
Jazka'Allah nice post :)

afriend2
02-08-2006, 07:17 PM
salaam,

jazakAllah for posting bro, all the more reason for me to put henna on! love the stuff :wub:

wassalam

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Snowflake
02-11-2006, 09:11 PM
JazakAllah Sonz bro.

Nazia sis, plz tell me which henna I can use to colour my nails. I tried it once and the tips of my fingers were coloured but my nails remained white :(

shanu
02-13-2006, 08:20 AM
im growing a henna plant from now on!!
I had one last time, but my irritating neighbour pour hot water and murdered my plant :'(

shanu
02-13-2006, 08:26 AM
The Prince of Dyes - Henna

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[by Mutmainaa - 07/02/03]

There is no plant dearer to Allah than Henna

- Muhammad

[abu Dawud]

History

The use of henna (also known as lawsonia inermis) for decoration and cosmetic purposes goes back to the time when the Berbers first migrated to the area of North Africa. However, as henna spread, it's varied usages spread as well. Other sources date Henna's routes as having first come into use in Egypt for beautification purposes; colouring fingertips and finger nails, palms of hands, and soles of feet.
One of the earliest documented uses of henna is found in the archeological evidence of Egyptian tombs in the valley of Nile. Ancient Egyptians applied it to the fingers and toes of the pharaohs before mummification.

Today, large quantities of Henna are grown in Sudan and India.
By the time of the Prophet Mohammad people were using henna, not only for decoration, but for hair dyeing and healing purposes as well. One tradition of the Prophet records Umm Salamah (radiAllahu anha) as commenting;
"The Prophet never suffered from a wound or a thorn without putting Henna on it"
[at-Tirmidhi]

Another records;
"Whenever somebody came to Prophet Muhammad with complaints of headache, he directed him to undergo cupping and whosoever complained of pain in legs, was advised to apply Henna."
[Sahih al-Bukhari, abu Dawud]

Muhammad informed us of the beneficial elements contained in Henna over 1400 years ago. Indeed, he used to dye his own hair with Henna.
Jahzma (radiAllahu anha), the wife of Bashir Bin Khasasia (adiAllahu anhu) narrates; "I saw Prophet Muhammad coming out of the house. He was coming after taking bath, therefore, he was shaking his hairs. The colour of Henna was visible on his head."
[at-Tirmidhi]

(abu Rafai narrates) "I was present before Prophet . Passing his hand over his head he said that the head of all dyes was Henna which ganeaglow to the face and increased the sexual vigour."
[abu Naim]

Following the example of the blessed Prophet many of the Sahabiyaat also used Henna on themselves. Abu Bakr (radiAllahu anhu) dyed his hair with it; Umar and abu Ubayda (RadiAllahu anhum) used to bath in it.
Abu Hanifa and Ibn Sirin are also recorded as using Henna to wash with.

For centuries, a dye that is made from the leaves of this plant has been used to colour nails, hands, arms and feet, as well as other items such as cloth and leather goods. Today, perhaps with the heightened awareness of 'natural products' and an awareness of its benefits; henna is also a marketable ingredient in women's shampoo.

Lets remember that Muhammad commented on henna improving the hair's condition many many years before.

Henna contains natural ingredients, which are vital for hair nourishment. It has a bond with the hair structure as it serves to penetrate, cleanse and thicken the hair shafts; thus improving its quality.
Henna is also famously known as the mother of hair dyes. Depending on where it is grown, the effect and colour given by Henna varies. The darkest colour given (and most expensive) is that which is grown in Iran, whilst the lightest colour given is grown in Morocco.

Traditionally, Henna was also used to heal various ailments, including jaundice, leprosy, smallpox and other afflictions of the skin and body.

Henna today

Modern scientists have many beneficial properties in Henna. In fact, the actual Henna plant is sometimes called the "Magic Plant" because it has a great healing effects. It contains ingredients to be antibacterial, anti-fungal , and anti-hemorrhagic. Henna is useful is healing athlete's foot, fungal skin infections, headaches, burning of the soles and palms, and local inflammation. The leaves and seeds of the plant possess medicinal properties. They both act as cooling agents for the head and body.

Imam Jalaluddin as-Suyuti, in his book 'Medicine of the Prophet' suggests using Henna for mouth ulcers, inflammation, Stomitis burns, and some infections on the skin.

It is related that whenever the Prophet has a sudden headache, he would dye his hair with Henna.
[ibn Maja]

Henna is in many houses, religiously applied in joyous occassions, such as a wedding, or Eid. The designs can include floral patterns, small lines, and geometrical designs and vary from country to country.
However, the Islamic tradition of applying Henna on days of festivities will always be found in different parts of the world, alhamdulilah.

Females generally stay up till the depths of the night, applying the greenish Henna paste to each other's hands, waiting for it to dry, and washing it off to reveal beautiful orange-brown designs; ready to celebrate the blessed day of Eid.

The actual Henna plant - the lawsonia inermis grows in clusters of small, intensely fragrant flowers. Sometimes the flowers are pink or red, but usually they are white. The Perfume made from henna flowers is very sweet and strong.
In a well known hadith, it is recorded that Muhammad said, "the lord of sweet-smelling blossoms in this world and the next is Henna blossom"
[Burayda, as-Suyuti's 'Tibb an-Nabi']

Anas (RadiAllahu anhu) also relates that that Prophet loved sweet-smelling blossoms, especially that of Henna.
[Bayhaqi]

There are many names given around the world to this plant - Henna, Hinna, Mehandi, Mendee, Al-Khanna, Al- henna, khidab, Jamaica Mignonette, Egyptian Privet, Smooth Lawsonia, and others. However, whatever name it is given, it most surely deserves to be called "The Prince of Dyes", as given by the Prophet Muhammad

Snowflake
02-13-2006, 11:02 AM
That's cool sis. Thanks. I thought you had posted which henna is best for colouring nails :-/

afriend2
02-13-2006, 01:09 PM
salaam,

sis Nadia, you know the stuff that you buy in powder form (they sell loads in zam zam and my parents bought me some from Saudi, they work the best) if you mix it with water and leave it in the fridge for a bit then put in on your nails, every part should get covered and it stays on for ages. me and my sisters leave it in for the whole night, so it goes really dark.

wassalam

Amz
02-13-2006, 03:36 PM
hey jaza kalah for da post, never knew henna cud b used for so many purposes

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.