PDA

View Full Version : Majnun Layla?



Mawaddah
02-09-2006, 02:34 PM
:sl:
Brothers and Sisters, I was wondering if any of you know where I can find some online Ash'aar (poems) by Majnun Layla?(not his actual name) . I'm doing some reading thru my Arabic Grammar book Kawaakib....it's been almost 3 years since I did it :p but I'm revising it myself now, and it contains quite alot of poetry, but these poems by this particular man (called Majnun Layla) caught my eye......it's a sort of romance poems like :statisfie . However his poems are not listed fully in my Kawaakib book. So does anyone know where I can find them online?
Baarakallahu Feekum wa Jazaakumullah Khair

:w:
Reply

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Snowflake
02-10-2006, 08:21 PM
Here's one poem sis. But it's written by Ghalib, not Majnu (real name Qais) himself. Will this do? If yes, then lemme know. I will find some more for you inshaAllah.

I perceive the world as a playground
Where dawn and dusk appear in eternal rounds
In His Universal form is a plaything the throne of Solomon
The miracles of the Messiah seem so ordinary in my eyes
Without name I cannot comprehend any form
Illusionary but is the identity of all objects
My anguish envelopes the entire desert
Silently flows the river in front of my floods
Ask not what separation has done to me
Just see your poise when I come in front of you
Truly you say that I am egotistical and proud
It is the reflection, O friend, in your limited mirror
To appreciate the style and charm of conversation
Just bring in the goblet and wine
Hatred manifests due to my envious mind
Thus I say, don't take his name in front of me
Faith stops me while temptations attract
Inspite of Kaaba behind and church ahead
I am the Lover, yet notorious is my charm
Thus Laila calls names to Majnu in front of me
"Dies" not one though the union is a delight
In premonition of the separation night
Alas, this be it, the bloody separation wave
I know not what else is in store ahead of me
Though the hands don't move, the eyes are alive
Wine and goblet, let them stay in front of me
Says "Ghalib"
Conscience is companion and trusted friend
Don't pass any judgments in front of me.
Reply

Mawaddah
02-10-2006, 09:31 PM
^ Jazakillah Khair sis, I loved that poem :) but I was really looking for the Arabic version since I was planning on picking out a few verses and memorizing them ..... I love poetry you see ;D so...do you know any links or anything?

Jazakillah khair

:w:
Reply

Snowflake
02-10-2006, 10:29 PM
Oops sis, I don't understands arabic sis. But I'll have a look for you anyway. :)
Reply

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Sign Up
amirah_87
04-06-2006, 05:23 PM
ass salaamu alaykum sis,

check in kitaab al-aghaani .......it's consist of all the poets and their poems
it's quite a few volumes aswell , have a look in it if u have the book i'm quite certain it should be there insha'allah.
kawaakib's a lovely book , don't u think so?

wassalaam
Reply

amirah_87
05-05-2007, 08:33 PM
:sl:

I know this has come rather late, but I've found what've you'd been looking for and thought you might be interested hun.

Click on this link here: Majnuun Layla.

And yes, they're in arabic. All 121 of them. :statisfie
Reply

Mawaddah
05-06-2007, 10:37 AM
^ Masha'allah!! Finallyyyy I can now read thru them! Jazakillah khair millions princess :)
Reply

Snowflake
05-06-2007, 11:02 AM
I totally forgot this thread but shukr hai you found what you were looking for :)

May I share this layla majnun poem? :D

It's punjabi by the way..

Meem Majnun nu kisse taana ditta - Teri Layla ae rang di kaali :D
Meem Majnun par't jawab ditta - Teri akh nai wekhan wali
Quran shareef de war'k ne chitte - Utthe seyahi ae Rabb di kaali ;D


I'll try & translate it (roughly)

Someone rediculed Majnun that his Layla's complexion is black
Meem Majnun turned and replied, Your sight is lacking the knack
For the pages of the Quran are white, Yet Rabbs ink on it is black :giggling:


:bravo:


Meem Majnun* like saying, A apple etc etc...
Reply

Mawaddah
05-06-2007, 11:05 AM
^ Isn't it amazing the love he had for this woman? ;D

Such a sad ending to that love story though :p
Reply

syilla
05-06-2007, 11:20 AM
:sl:

sis mawaddah....is it the same as the malay stories...on Laila Majnun (Majnun Layla) - aka romeo and juliet in english.
Reply

Mawaddah
05-06-2007, 11:29 AM
^ I have never read the Malay version of Majnun Laila, but if they use the same name, I suppose they are talking about the same person? and yes it's very much like a romeo juliet lol
Reply

Musaafirah
05-06-2007, 12:18 PM
Is the whole Layla and Majnun story a real thing? Coz I've read bits and bobs of it..Well whatever was in the Mathnavi of Maulana Rumi..
If so, does anyone know where I can get the story, coz I really want to read it..and why is is a sad ending?! :eek:
Reply

syilla
05-06-2007, 12:34 PM
Originally Posted by Musaafir
Is the whole Layla and Majnun story a real thing? Coz I've read bits and bobs of it..Well whatever was in the Mathnavi of Maulana Rumi..
If so, does anyone know where I can get the story, coz I really want to read it..and why is is a sad ending?! :eek:
yeah... i always tought is a legend. but when i browse the internet...in malaysia...it is actually the first film :-[

Maybe i'm wrong :exhausted
Reply

Musaafirah
05-06-2007, 12:37 PM
Originally Posted by syilla
yeah... i always tought is a legend. but when i browse the internet...in malaysia...it is actually the first film :-[

Maybe i'm wrong :exhausted
Oh,
do you by any chance know where I can read the story about it, or who the author is, if it exists!
Jazakallah!
Reply

chacha_jalebi
05-06-2007, 12:50 PM
these are similiar to heer and ranjha and sassi and punoo init :D
Reply

syilla
05-06-2007, 01:03 PM
Originally Posted by Musaafir
Oh,
do you by any chance know where I can read the story about it, or who the author is, if it exists!
Jazakallah!
i try to find it for you...

but i think you can google layla and majnun and you can find alot the arabic version of stories...even in wikipedia... :D
Reply

Snowflake
05-06-2007, 07:30 PM
It is true then? :embarrass

I've heard lots of stories about Layla Majnun. One is when Majnun, so lost in Layla's love was wondering through the desert and out of his mind for unrequited love he walked in front of a man praying salah. The man started yelling at Majnun to which Majnun replied, "I did not know what I was doing in rememberance of Layla, yet then how in your rememberance of The Lord were you aware of what is happening around you." That's heavy lol.




Originally Posted by chacha_jalebi
these are similiar to heer and ranjha and sassi and punoo init :D
Yeah, similar. All stories of unrequited pure love. Sassi Punno used to put a bamboo pole between them so they wouldn't accidently touch each other and taint their pure love. I dunno if anyone's heard of Sohni Mahiwal and how they drowned when Sohni's wicked aunt swapped the clay vessel she used to swim across the river to meet Mahiwal, with an unbaked one. Well I live near that river in Pakistan. Eerie!
Reply

------
05-06-2007, 07:42 PM
:salamext:

Laila Majnun was a classic. They had so much love for each other, they could even feel the hurt the when the other person was hurt.
Reply

Snowflake
05-06-2007, 07:46 PM
how do we know it's a true story though? :confused:
Reply

------
05-06-2007, 07:47 PM
:salamext:

I dont know whether its true or not, but it was a pretty kool story :)
Reply

chacha_jalebi
05-07-2007, 11:54 AM
lol@muslimah sis, what area is the well in?

didnt mahiwal feed some of his thigh to sohni lol, cause couldnt find food :p
Reply

- Qatada -
05-07-2007, 11:56 AM
:salamext:


Just wait till they got married.. then it'd be like tom and jerry :p
Reply

Mawaddah
05-07-2007, 12:53 PM
^ Majnun Layla never got married to Layla though? It was a one sided love, and I thought it was a true story? :confused:
Reply

chacha_jalebi
05-07-2007, 01:44 PM
i believe they are true, because they have lik tombs and graves, which are tourist attractions. so if they aint true, who is buried in the tombs:p
Reply

Mawaddah
05-07-2007, 01:48 PM
^ seriously? and where are these tombs and graves?
Reply

- Qatada -
05-07-2007, 01:50 PM
:salamext:


Yeah i know sister Mawaddah ^ i was just saying that if they got married.. then erm.. sometimes the love dies out.


Akhi chacha, sometimes its not even a true grave, some things are started off by people as a scam, and later people visit it - the person gets rich through it being an attraction, and then it goes to the extent where people think its real.

I remember listening to a lecture once and in that lecture he said that there was a tomb in a place at the time of Sheikh Al-Islam Ibn Taymiyya, and people would visit that grave as a 'saints grave.' He mentioned that the grave really just had a dead donkey there, and in other stories - there was a christian in the grave, so he wasn't even muslim. But people follow the crowd in something, even if it's not real. And Allaah knows best.


Sorry for going offtopic.
Reply

aqsa1
05-07-2007, 09:43 PM
whats the full story behind majnun and laylah??
Reply

Snowflake
05-07-2007, 11:04 PM
Originally Posted by chacha_jalebi
lol@muslimah sis, what area is the well in?

didnt mahiwal feed some of his thigh to sohni lol, cause couldnt find food :p
eww that's cannibalism.. I rem now, the thigh curry (not to be confused with thai curry) how could she eat it though? +o(

and it's a river not a well lol... dareya-e-chenab near gujrat
Reply

Snowflake
05-07-2007, 11:06 PM
Originally Posted by Mawaddah
^ Majnun Layla never got married to Layla though? It was a one sided love, and I thought it was a true story? :confused:
nah, it was two-sided.. she was a princess and him a pauper

sometimes I think abt these lovers and wonder if they'd still have felt the same if they'd got married.. I bet not! :p
Reply

Mawaddah
05-07-2007, 11:23 PM
Originally Posted by Muslimah_Sis
nah, it was two-sided.. she was a princess and him a pauper

sometimes I think abt these lovers and wonder if they'd still have felt the same if they'd got married.. I bet not! :p
That's what bro fi sab was saying too :p

So she was a Princess!! Aww how I love those type of stories :statisfie :-[
Reply

edil
05-10-2007, 06:08 PM
Wow! I didnt know that mujnun layla was that known we did it in my arabic class and the teacher had us memorize it. I agree the ending is really sad usually Hindi movies have those kind of endings but i guess this poem does too.
Reply

islamirama
05-10-2007, 06:17 PM
majnu layla, heer ranja, and other such stories are plenty in india. Just like you have romeo and juliet in english.

what is surprising is how so many on here admire their undieing love and what not. Let's not forget that it's probably a fake story. And be it true or not, it' s a haraam relationship. Everything reeks of unislamic and haram love.

Why don't you girls try memorizing the Quran instead of idle talk that promotes haraam?
Reply

Nawal89
05-10-2007, 06:20 PM
^lol islamirama.

When one is learning arabic, poems from majnun layla comes up alot for grammatical reasons. We have to memorize them if we actually want to pass the class. And it happens taht their story is kinda interesting.
Reply

islamirama
05-10-2007, 06:31 PM
Originally Posted by Nawal89
^lol islamirama.

When one is learning arabic, poems from majnun layla comes up alot for grammatical reasons. We have to memorize them if we actually want to pass the class. And it happens taht their story is kinda interesting.
that's quite sad. Well what can you expect from secular education. In my arabic class we were translationg sentences like

shahid is a mujahid

amer is an alim

etc

anyways, translating for class is one thing and showing your admiration for a story based on haraam relationship is another...
Reply

Nawal89
05-10-2007, 07:39 PM
Originally Posted by islamirama
that's quite sad. Well what can you expect from secular education. In my arabic class we were translationg sentences like

shahid is a mujahid

amer is an alim

etc

anyways, translating for class is one thing and showing your admiration for a story based on haraam relationship is another...
Bro how far have u studied arabic?
Majnun layla isnt a part of "secular education"It comes in grammar books like qatar and kawakib. And its not just any story. Its poetry. Anyone who goes deep into arabic stdies will come across majnun layla's poems sooner or later. Its not a matter of admiring the story or anything. Of course you translate amer is an alim when ur learning arabic in teh beggining. but eventually you will move on to poetry.
Reply

islamirama
05-10-2007, 08:07 PM
Originally Posted by Nawal89
Bro how far have u studied arabic?
Majnun layla isnt a part of "secular education"It comes in grammar books like qatar and kawakib. And its not just any story. Its poetry. Anyone who goes deep into arabic stdies will come across majnun layla's poems sooner or later. Its not a matter of admiring the story or anything. Of course you translate amer is an alim when ur learning arabic in teh beggining. but eventually you will move on to poetry.
I said translating in class is one thing and what we see on this thread is another things. What we see here is admiration for a story that promotes unislamic relationship, and the sisters here showing how much they love that story and poem (which praises immorality). are we going to make a big debate over this or can we agree nothing in about romeo story is islamic.
Reply

Nawal89
05-10-2007, 08:23 PM
Originally Posted by islamirama
I said translating in class is one thing and what we see on this thread is another things. What we see here is admiration for a story that promotes unislamic relationship, and the sisters here showing how much they love that story and poem (which praises immorality). are we going to make a big debate over this or can we agree nothing in about romeo story is islamic.
No one was praising the story.
And brother i'm sure if you read the poem you would also praise it and admire the way its written because the writer uses magnificent grammar.
Reply

islamirama
05-11-2007, 04:54 AM
Originally Posted by Nawal89
No one was praising the story.
And brother i'm sure if you read the poem you would also praise it and admire the way its written because the writer uses magnificent grammar.
I"m all for grammar :D

but not for
Aww how I love those type of stories :statisfie :-[
in Islam, love comes after marriage....
Reply

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Sign Up

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-02-2014, 04:13 PM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-28-2013, 04:40 AM
  3. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-14-2010, 06:12 AM
  4. Replies: 19
    Last Post: 09-15-2008, 12:00 PM
  5. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-28-2006, 09:13 AM

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!