/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Israel angered over Russia-Hamas talks

sonz
02-11-2006, 02:18 PM
Israel slammed Russia for inviting HAMAS leaders for talks, describing the initiative as a “knife in the back”, AFP reported.

On Thursday, the Russian President invited HAMAS leaders to Moscow, saying that it was time for the world to accept the results of the Palestinian polls.

Top HAMAS official Ismail Haniyeh welcomed Putin’s invitation, saying that the group is open to talks with all countries. "Our leadership will travel to Islamic and Arab countries and to the communist countries to talk about the internal situation among the Palestinian people," he said.

France also backed the initiative as potentially positive for the Middle East peace process. The offer "may contribute to advancing our positions," foreign ministry spokesman Denis Simonneau said.

But Russia’s decision angered the United States and Israel, which urges the international community to isolate HAMAS as it prepares for forming a new Palestinian government following its landslide victory in last month’s elections.

"This initiative is a real knife in the back... because it aims to give international legitimacy to a terrorist group and we must oppose it with all our means," Education Minister Meir Sheetrit told public radio on Friday.

"What would Moscow say if we invited Chechen representatives (to Jerusalem) in response?" Sheetrit asked.

The United States and the European Union, who both brand HAMAS a “terrorist” group, refuse to deal with the resistance movement until it recognizes Israel’s right to exist and give up anti-Israeli attacks. But Russia, who together with the U.S., EU and UN make up the so-called Middle East Quartet, doesn’t classify HAMAS a terrorist group.

Russian officials defended Putin’s decision, saying that Moscow would ask HAMAS to recognize Israel and explain the approaches of the Quartet. Defense Minister Sergei Ivanov predicted other countries would follow suit.

"I'm not afraid to predict that sometime in the future many leading states, and I'm thinking in particular about the quartet, will start supporting HAMAS contacts... to make clear to HAMAS authorities (their) attitudes... toward the Middle East settlement," he said.

But a commentary in Israel’s top-selling daily Yedioth Aharanot described the Russians’ explanation for the invitation as "cynical, baseless and particularly infuriating”.

However, one Israeli analyst said that Israel can benefit from Putin's talks with HAMAS if the Russian leader persuades the resistance group to accept the Quartet’s demands.

"Even if Israel is officially against it, it is not so catastrophic," Amnon Sella, a professor of international relations at Hebrew University in Jerusalem, told AFP. "It could provide certain benefits for Israel.”

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
partysoverkids
02-11-2006, 06:20 PM
As much as I don't like Hamas, this could be a good thing. Russia is going to ask them to recognize Israel. Idon't think they will but you never know. That would go a long way in smoothing some things out.

afriend
02-11-2006, 06:26 PM
YES!!!

Checkmate Israel, the US fears Russia until they are forced to retreat to the bogs for relief....They wouldn't dare touch Russia as it has Nuclear power, the US is also sucking up to the Russians as they are a so called 'back-bone' in many critical financial reserves.

partysoverkids
02-11-2006, 08:18 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Iqram
YES!!!

the US is also sucking up to the Russians as they are a so called 'back-bone' in many critical financial reserves.

I think you have it backwards. The Russians are poor as a pauper and needs the U.S. much more than we need them.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Ansar Al-'Adl
02-11-2006, 08:24 PM
:sl:
I think this will be a positive step towards diplomatic relations, inshaa'Allah.

afriend
02-11-2006, 08:26 PM
we need them.
Who's we?

partysoverkids
02-11-2006, 08:35 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Iqram
Who's we?

The U.S. That is where I am from, hence the "we".

afriend
02-11-2006, 08:39 PM
LOL

I get it, so, it's vice versa then?

I wud like some proof and evidence that shows that It's like that...Please?

Ghazi
02-11-2006, 08:44 PM
Salaam
The Russians are poor as a pauper and needs the U.S. much more than we need them.
There's no we, do the government actually ask for public views on things it does, they only give speeches when they want to be elected.

partysoverkids
02-11-2006, 10:00 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by islam-truth
Salaam
There's no we, do the government actually ask for public views on things it does, they only give speeches when they want to be elected.

In a democracy, the public expresses its views by voting. This may be a forgien concept to you. Besides, your comment has nothing to do with the fact that Russia is in no financial or military position to dictate policy to the U.S. The U.S. economy is humming along pretty well right now. The DOW is closing in on 11,000. What is the Russian economy doing ? I'll help you out. It is as stagnant as a puddle of mud.

Kittygyal
02-11-2006, 10:05 PM
no don't put 'WE'

Ghazi
02-11-2006, 10:10 PM
Salaam

the public expresses its views by voting
Yes true what about after the elections what happens then.

partysoverkids
02-11-2006, 10:30 PM
Salaam
Yes true what about after the elections what happens then.

You abide by the elected leaders policies, even if you don't agree with them. This is a cornerstone of democracy. This is why it is important to vote.

Ghazi
02-11-2006, 10:36 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by partysoverkids
You abide by the elected leaders policies, even if you don't agree with them. This is a cornerstone of democracy. This is why it is important to vote.
Salaam

My point exactly you have to stick with your chosen leader, then after the election stage do your leaders actually ask you for your opinion or do they go ahead with their plans anyway since they have been put in power.

mahdisoldier19
02-11-2006, 10:37 PM
Salam Aalaikam

Who are they not angry at besides America these days ?

partysoverkids
02-12-2006, 12:46 AM
Salaam

My point exactly you have to stick with your chosen leader, then after the election stage do your leaders actually ask you for your opinion or do they go ahead with their plans anyway since they have been put in power.
This is why voting is an important thing which mustn't be taken lightly. I don't know of many places that have a mechanism for removing a head of state in mid-term. How would they be able to ask for opinions constantly ? Government would grind to a halt if a president needed everyones opinion everytime he needed to do something. It's not practical or realistic.

Ghazi
02-12-2006, 12:50 AM
This is why voting is an important thing which mustn't be taken lightly. I don't know of many places that have a mechanism for removing a head of state in mid-term. How would they be able to ask for opinions constantly ? Government would grind to a halt if a president needed everyones opinion everytime he needed to do something. It's not practical or realistic.
Salaam

At last my point has been proven, you stated before "they need us more then we need them" The above show that there's no we but only the goverment who make the real decisions and the public only get a say when it comes to elections.

partysoverkids
02-12-2006, 01:05 AM
Salaam

At last my point has been proven, you stated before "they need us more then we need them" The above show that there's no we but only the goverment who make the real decisions and the public only get a say when it comes to elections.

In a democracy, we ARE the government ( " Of the people, by the people, for the people" ). WE choose who WE want in office every four years. We don't have officials "thrust" upon us, like in some countries where the populace has no say in who leads them. We vote and the majority wins. That is democracy in action. Do you have a better idea on how to choose a leader. I'd love to hear it. Besides, this is spinning off topic. The topic was is Russia financiallY important to the U.S. The answer is still NO. They don't have two nickels to rub together while the U.S. economy is doing pretty good.My investments have really been paying off lately. I can't complain.

mahdisoldier19
02-12-2006, 06:50 AM
In a democracy, we ARE the government ( " Of the people, by the people, for the people" ). WE choose who WE want in office every four years. We don't have officials "thrust" upon us, like in some countries where the populace has no say in who leads them. We vote and the majority wins. That is democracy in action. Do you have a better idea on how to choose a leader. I'd love to hear it. Besides, this is spinning off topic. The topic was is Russia financiallY important to the U.S. The answer is still NO. They don't have two nickels to rub together while the U.S. economy is doing pretty good.My investments have really been paying off lately. I can't complain.

Salama Alaikam

I dont know whats going on here, it seems people like to come on this bored and say some weird things..

If you know your history Islam itself is a democracy in which the people choose the leader, Freedom of religion and speech. Except all under Sharia law which implemted creates a Perfect Society order.

Aslanis
02-12-2006, 01:35 PM
Why is hamas sitting at the same table as the butchers of the chechnyans?

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.