/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Sleeping on the right side

hidaayah
02-12-2006, 01:27 PM
Sleeping on the right side

Lying down can be on the back, on the abdomen, on the left or right side. Which of these positions is the best for the functioning of the organs?

When lying on the abdomen, as Dr Attar says, a person will feel after a while short of breath as the backbones¡¯ mass prevents the chest from contracting and then relaxing during inhalation and exhalation. Moreover this position leads to an obligatory bending in the neck vertebras. Also, the contact of the reproductive organs with the bed leads to masturbation.

The resulting respiratory crisis results in brain and heart fatigue as well.

An Australian researcher noticed the increase in the likelihood of babies¡¯ sudden death when they sleep on their stomach compared to those who sleep on one of the sides. It is inimitable that these modern studies agree with what our prophet said as narrated by Abu Huraira (May Allah be pleased with him): ¡°When the prophet (peace be upon him) saw a man lying on his front, He said (Allah and his prophet dislike this position in lying) ¡± (Reported by Al-Tirmdhi)

Another Hadith is the one narrated by Abu Umama (May Allah be pleased with him) he said: ¡° When the Prophet (peace be upon him) passed a man sleeping on his front in the mosque he hit him with his feet and said: wake up and seat as this is a diabolic sleep¡±

Lying on the back, on the other hand, causes the respiration to be through the mouth. Dr Attar sees that the mouth opens up when lying on back as the inferior jaw relaxes.

However, the nose is the one prepared for respiration, as it contains hairs and mucous that act to purify the air entering during inspiration and as it has dense blood vessels that make the entering air warmer.

Respiration through the mouth then makes the person prone to colds, especially in the winter, and also to gum dryness and its resulting inflammation.

As well as it evokes potential situations of dissemble excess or gumic hugely.

So these positions the jaw and uvula oppose the wideness of nose and prevents current of breath.

So snoring will increase.

Moreover, in this case, the person wakes up with an abnormal white layer covering hª›¬_œ«®ˆ is tongue and an undesirable mouth odour.

Sleeping on the left side is not favoured either, as the heart would be then under the pressure of the right lung, the biggest of the two lungs, and this would affect its contraction especially if the person is old. The full stomach which itself is under the pressure of the heaviest organ in the digestive tract, the liver, which delays its emptying, would also impose a pressure on the heart.

A group of experiments done by Galteh and Butseh found that the passage of food from the stomach to the intestines takes from 2.5 to 4.5 hours if a person is sleeping on the right side whereas its takes 5 to 8 hours if he is sleeping on the left side.

Thus, sleeping on the right side is the correct position as the left lung is smaller than the right one and the pressure on the heart would therefore be less, the liver would not be suspended, and the stomach would be on it and so emptying its contents would be quicker.

Moreover sleeping on the right side is one of the best medical interventions to facilitate the excretion of the mucous secretions of the left respiratory bronchioles.

That is what was said by Dr Al Rawi who added that the reason for the expansion of the airways in the left lung and not the ones in the right one is that the right lung¡¯s bronchioles are laterally positioned to a certain extent, whereas the ones in the left lung are vertical and so it is harder to push the secretions upwards to be excreted. This leads to their accumulation in the inferior segment, leading to the expansion .The symptoms at this stage is excessive phlegm discharge in the morning which may exacerbate and lead to serious illnesses such as lungs¡¯ apse and urinary disease, and one of the most modern treatments for those cases is sleeping on the right side.

Courtesy: Dr Mohammad Nezar Al Deker

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
abdul Majid
02-12-2006, 08:21 PM
SABHANALLAH that was very interesting, our PROPHET(pbh) dosent do things for nothing, i sleep on my right cuz i heard that he(pbh) use to...and now i would imagine why..

alhamdulillah

Tasneem
02-12-2006, 08:22 PM
MashAllah thanks for the info

I lay on my Right side

Or ATLEAST i try to

SaLaMz

mahdisoldier19
02-12-2006, 08:28 PM
Salam alaikam

yes sleep on your right side i advise it very much.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Nabal12
02-12-2006, 08:30 PM
Jazakillah, that was a really good article. I mostly sleep on my right side but when I'm restless, I tend to sleep on my left as well. My grade 3 teacher used to always tell this kid that would lie on his stomach to sit up as well. Now I know why.

Umar001
02-13-2006, 03:47 PM
Erm

I try sleeping on my right but I find it impossible

:(

Nawal89
02-13-2006, 05:22 PM
^I try too, but when i wake up i'm either on my back or my left. :(.

Snowflake
02-13-2006, 07:00 PM
My mom always told us to sleep on our right side saying it relieves the pressure on the heart from other organs. But I toss and turn so much then eventually end up on my tummy. Which is soooooooo bad :(

afriend2
02-13-2006, 08:48 PM
salaam,

yeah i always try to sleep on the right side, but when i wake up im always on the opposite side or even on my tummy! :( ^^^ i know how you feel sis!!

wassalam

iqbal_ibn_adam
02-13-2006, 09:20 PM
:sl:

Lying down can be on the back, on the abdomen, on the left or right side. Which of these positions is the best for the functioning of the organs?

When lying on the abdomen, as Dr Attar says, a person will feel after a while short of breath as the backbones¡¯ mass prevents the chest from contracting and then relaxing during inhalation and exhalation. Moreover this position leads to an obligatory bending in the neck vertebras. Also, the contact of the reproductive organs with the bed leads to masturbation.

An Australian researcher noticed the increase in the likelihood of babies¡¯ sudden death when they sleep on their stomach compared to those who sleep on one of the sides. It is inimitable that these modern studies agree with what our prophet said as narrated by Abu Huraira (May Allah be pleased with him): ¡°When the prophet (peace be upon him) saw a man lying on his front, He said (Allah and his prophet dislike this position in lying) ¡± (Reported by Al-Tirmdhi)

Another Hadith is the one narrated by Abu Umama (May Allah be pleased with him) he said: ¡° When the Prophet (peace be upon him) passed a man sleeping on his front in the mosque he hit him with his feet and said: wake up and seat as this is a diabolic sleep¡±

Lying on the back, on the other hand, causes the respiration to be through the mouth. Dr Attar sees that the mouth opens up when lying on back as the inferior jaw relaxes.

However, the nose is the one prepared for respiration, as it contains hairs and mucous that act to purify the air entering during inspiration and as it has dense blood vessels that make the entering air warmer.

Respiration through the mouth then makes the person prone to colds, especially in the winter, and also to gum dryness and its resulting inflammation.

So these positions the jaw and uvula oppose the wideness of nose and prevents current of breath.

Moreover, in this case, the person wakes up with an abnormal white layer covering hª›¬_œ«®ˆ is tongue and an undesirable mouth odour.

Sleeping on the left side is not favoured either, as the heart would be then under the pressure of the right lung, the biggest of the two lungs, and this would affect its contraction especially if the person is old. The full stomach which itself is under the pressure of the heaviest organ in the digestive tract, the liver, which delays its emptying, would also impose a pressure on the heart.

A group of experiments done by Galteh and Butseh found that the passage of food from the stomach to the intestines takes from 2.5 to 4.5 hours if a person is sleeping on the right side whereas its takes 5 to 8 hours if he is sleeping on the left side.

Thus, sleeping on the right side is the correct position as the left lung is smaller than the right one and the pressure on the heart would therefore be less, the liver would not be suspended, and the stomach would be on it and so emptying its contents would be quicker.

Moreover sleeping on the right side is one of the best medical interventions to facilitate the excretion of the mucous secretions of the left respiratory bronchioles.

That is what was said by Dr Al Rawi who added that the reason for the expansion of the airways in the left lung and not the ones in the right one is that the right lung¡¯s bronchioles are laterally positioned to a certain extent, whereas the ones in the left lung are vertical and so it is harder to push the secretions upwards to be excreted. This leads to their accumulation in the inferior segment, leading to the expansion .The symptoms at this stage is excessive phlegm discharge in the morning which may exacerbate and lead to serious illnesses such as lungs¡¯ apse and urinary disease, and one of the most modern treatments for those cases is sleeping on the right side.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

References :

- Miracles of slamic medicine Vol.4 by Dr Mohammad Nezar Al Deker
- Dr Thafer Al Attar ¡°Lay down on your right side¡±
from Your Doctor magazine 1961
- The Arabic medical magazine: The wrong sleeping positions
N(196 Year 1993
- The Art Of Health And Protective Medicine
by Dr Ahmad Hamdi Alkhayat (university of Damascus).

:w:

Umar001
02-14-2006, 02:36 PM
Erm, confused as to wha the point in that was.

anyhow back on topic

I tried sleepin on my right last night, oh man it was okey for abit but then I had to move. I mean my grandad came from africa over the summer if u saw the way he slept, he basically lied down and didnt move, he would wrap himself up in a cover, different from the wester ones, and basically u wouldnt see nothin but his face, and he would sleep like that on his back and in the morning you would find him like tht, scary sometimes.

I think its more about keeping consistant, trying it every night, I mean i have the same problem with some positions in prayer it makes my foot hurt, but its just about keeping consistant getting the body used to it.

Allahu Alam

Peace

nurul3eyn
02-18-2006, 05:41 AM
:sl:

Lying

down can be on the back, on the abdomen, on the left or right side. Which of these positions is the best for the functioning of the organs?
When lying on the abdomen, as Dr Attar says, a person will feel after a while short of breath as the backbones،¯ mass prevents the chest from contracting and then relaxing during inhalation and exhalation. Moreover this position leads to an obligatory bending in the neck vertebras. Also, the contact of the reproductive organs with the bed leads to masturbation.
An Australian researcher noticed the increase in the likelihood of babies،¯ sudden death when they sleep on their stomach compared to those who sleep on one of the sides. It is inimitable that these modern studies agree with what our prophet said as narrated by Abu Huraira (May Allah be pleased with him): ،°When the prophet (peace be upon him) saw a man lying on his front, He said (Allah and his prophet dislike this position in lying) (Reported by Al-Tirmdhi)
Another Hadith is the one narrated by Abu Umama (May Allah be pleased with him) he said: ،° When the Prophet (peace be upon him) passed a man sleeping on his front in the mosque he hit him with his feet and said: wake up and seat as this is a diabolic sleep،±
Moreover, in this case, the person wakes up with an abnormal white layer covering is tongue and an undesirable mouth odour.
That is what was said by Dr Al Rawi who added that the reason for the expansion of the airways in the left lung and not the ones in the right one is that the right lung،¯s bronchioles are laterally positioned to a certain extent, whereas the ones in the left lung are vertical and so it is harder to push the secretions upwards to be excreted. This leads to their accumulation in the inferior segment, leading to the expansion .The symptoms at this stage is excessive phlegm discharge in the morning which may exacerbate and lead to serious illnesses such as lungs،¯ apse and urinary disease, and one of the most modern treatments for those cases is sleeping on the right side.

:w:

handhuvar
02-28-2006, 03:38 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by A sister

:sl: thanx for the info
wil try to follo that :)

julie sarri
02-28-2006, 05:20 PM
:sl: yes its good to sleep on your right side the prophet(saw) would sleep on his right with his right hand under his cheek he did this becouse he dident want to be to comfotable when asleep so he would wake up for to pray:w:

Liban
03-24-2006, 04:17 PM
Yeah It Is Said By Muhammed

mizan_aliashraf
03-24-2006, 04:18 PM
Salam
I sleep on my right all the time. I seem to find it most comfortable. And yes, its the sunnah inshallah
Wassalam

bint-ul-islam
03-24-2006, 04:47 PM
Assalamoalykum
jazakillah sis for informative post
this shows that acting upon sunnah pleases Allah swt and is beneficial in this world too.

Al-Zaara
12-06-2006, 08:23 AM
*Threads merged*

Abdul-Raouf
12-06-2006, 08:33 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by abdul Majid
SABHANALLAH that was very interesting, our PROPHET(pbh) dosent do things for nothing, i sleep on my right cuz i heard that he(pbh) use to...and now i would imagine why..

alhamdulillah
ME TOOO

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.