View Full Version : Vandals in Denmark Strike Muslim Graves

solid_snake
02-13-2006, 11:54 PM
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...021201087.html

Vandals in Denmark Strike Muslim Graves
By Kevin Sullivan
Washington Post Foreign Service
Monday, February 13, 2006; A16

COPENHAGEN, Feb. 12 -- About 25 Muslim graves in western Denmark were vandalized late Saturday night, bringing swift condemnation from Prime Minister Anders Fogh Rasmussen as tensions simmer from a Danish newspaper's publication last year of cartoons of the Islamic prophet Muhammad.

"I strongly condemn this disgraceful act, and I deeply regret the desecration of Muslim graves," Rasmussen said in a statement released by his office Sunday night. "I have made it clear that the Danish government condemns any expression or any action which offends people's religious feelings."

Ahmed Akkari, a prominent Muslim leader in Denmark, said he was "happy" that Rasmussen had issued the statement so quickly. He said that in similar cases in the past, "nothing happened." Akkari said he believed that those who vandalized the Muslim graves in the city of Esbjerg, in Jutland, west of Copenhagen, "do not represent the Danish people's general attitude."

Tensions between Muslims and ethnic Danes have been extremely high in the past two weeks as the Muhammad cartoons, which other papers have reprinted, have sparked violent protests around the world. Akkari said that Rasmussen's swift condemnation, with his promise that authorities would "bring the perpetrators to justice," was "maybe one of the positive signs" of increased awareness between the two communities.

looks like danes mission is to piss us off :grumbling

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Anette
02-14-2006, 12:11 AM
To attack graves is so low... I really hope the people that did this crime will get caught and brought to justice.

In Sweden, in my little town four schools and children’s school have been burned down the last week. They left notes to Danish people at the place. Our local politics try to tone it down and says that it is not considered to be an act of our Muslims in the city. Children 13-14 years have been seen at the crime scene.

I hope the violence do not escalate more. When there is much aggression in the world it seams to spread rapidly.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.