/* */

PDA

View Full Version : “Down with Bush”, Saddam yells as he appears in court

sonz
02-14-2006, 09:01 AM
SADDAM HUSSEIN has been forced to attend his trial on Monday, looking tired and wearing a robe rather than his usual black suit as he shouted “Down with BUSH. Long live the nation”.

The toppled Iraqi President and his seven co-defendants have boycott earlier sessions. The defense team also walked out of court earlier, demanding the removal of the new chief judge, Raouf Abdul Rahman, and accusing him of bias against SADDAM.

But the chief prosecutor asked the judge to bring SADDAM and the co-accused to the Baghdad court if necessary.

One correspondent says the prosecution knows that an empty dock will undermine a trial which had repeatedly descended into farce.

But he says that the defense team would argue that bringing the defendants by force proves that the judge is biased.

* “A game”

On entering the courtroom, SADDAM said: "They have forcibly brought me here."

He then told the judge: "Exercise your right to try me in absentia. Are you trying to overcome your own smallness?"

"Down with the traitor, down with traitors, down with BUSH. Long live the ummah (Islamic nation)... long live the ummah... long live the ummah," SADDAM shouted.

SADDAM’s half-brother Barzan Ibrahim al-Tikriti, who was his former intelligence chief, scuffled with guards who led him into the courtroom by his arms.

Both men then continued to harangue the judge, refusing orders to sit down and be quiet.

"This is not a court, this is not a court, this is a game," SADDAM said. “Degradation and shame upon you, Raouf," he yelled. Later, he called the investigating judges "homosexuals."

In response, Judge Rahman said that the “law will be implemented.” He also denied that the defense team was thrown out of court, claiming that they had chosen not to attend the trial.

SADDAM and seven members of his former regime are standing trial over the 1982 Dujail massacre in which 148 people were killed. All the defendants deny the charges. If convicted they could face the death penalty.

After Monday’s stormy start, the judge put on the stand the former chief of foreign intelligence, Hassan al-Obeidi, and the former head of SADDAM’s presidential office, Ahmed Khudayir, who both blocked the prosecutors’ questions.

Khudayir said he was forced to testify, insisting that he knew nothing about the alleged massacre in Dujail. "I am not fit to be a witness in this case," he told the court.

The judge adjourned the trial until Tuesday.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Anette
02-15-2006, 01:22 PM
You always have very interesting threads. :)

I do not want to say anything about Saddam. But I will say something about this trial.

This is not a fair trail regarding to western standards. It is really a farce. If you have to delay a court that is send worldwide there is some serious thinking to do what is the purpose for not sending it online?

I can't blame anyone who is put up like a puppet doll in a directed show for protesting.

S_87
02-15-2006, 03:03 PM
:sl:

the trial is more of a comedy show than anything :-\

Sis786
02-15-2006, 05:11 PM
Lol his behaviour in court makes me laugh. Like he there for a driving offence or something!

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
knuckles
02-15-2006, 06:06 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by amani

the trial is more of a comedy show than anything :-\
You are correct. I would have shot him in his hole and let that be the end of it.

Kittygyal
02-15-2006, 06:10 PM
diz thread iz very intresting but can sum1 tel me ew sadam husein is plzzzzz :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

Umar001
02-15-2006, 06:13 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by islamgyal
diz thread iz very intresting but can sum1 tel me ew sadam husein is plzzzzz :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

Salam Walekum

You Cannot Be Serious?

Who He Is?

:hiding: :hiding: :hiding: :hiding: :hiding:

I would try and say but I cant explain it properly. Someone with more detail can do it.

Salam Walekum

jzcasejz
02-15-2006, 06:15 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by islamgyal
SEEEEEEEEEERIOUS?

Well he was the leader of Iraq and I heared he killed alot of people (which is bad). I don't know much about him but i've heared of him since I was a kid ;D

Here's a site on him : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saddam_Hussein

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.