/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Guantanamo Bay inmates 'tortured'

DaSangarTalib
02-14-2006, 11:37 AM
Treatment of detainees at Guantanamo Bay constitutes torture in some cases and violates international law, a leaked UN draft report says.
The document, seen by the Los Angeles Times, suggests that investigators will recommend the prison camp is shut down.

It also questions the legal status of the camp and the classification of detainees as enemy combatants.

US state department spokesman Sean McCormack criticised the draft report as "hearsay".

'Force-fed'

The Los Angeles Times published the draft report on Monday and spoke to one of the authors, the UN special raporteur on torture, Manfred Novak.

"We very, very carefully considered all of the arguments posed by the US government. There are no conclusions that are easily drawn. But we concluded that the situation in several areas violates international law and conventions on human rights and torture," Mr Nowak told the LA Times.

The report suggests some of the treatment of detainees at Guantanamo Bay meets the definition of torture under the UN Convention Against Torture.

This includes the force-feeding of hunger strikers through nasal tubes and the simultaneous use of several interrogation techniques such as prolonged solitary confinement and exposure to extreme temperatures, noise and light.

The UN team also questions the legal status of the Guantanamo camp.

It says insufficient effort has been made to prove that the inmates really are enemy combatants.

It also recommends the prison camp is shut down.

"The US government should close Guantanamo Bay detention facilities without further delay," the report says. "The US government should either expeditiously bring all Guantanamo Bay detainees to trial ... or release them without further delay."

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Umar001
02-14-2006, 12:48 PM
In honesty, readin this really made me think, how long i would last in such situations.

I thought I would be ok as long as I would be saying 'Allahu Akabar' then I thought what if they cut my tongue and the finger tips and so forth, then I remembered Bilal, May Allah be pleased wit him, saying Ahad Ahad. which again makes me think.

Argh life

knuckles
02-14-2006, 02:47 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Fight&Die4Allah
Treatment of detainees at Guantanamo Bay constitutes torture in some cases and violates international law, a leaked UN draft report says.
The document, seen by the Los Angeles Times, suggests that investigators will recommend the prison camp is shut down.

It also questions the legal status of the camp and the classification of detainees as enemy combatants.

US state department spokesman Sean McCormack criticised the draft report as "hearsay".

'Force-fed'

The Los Angeles Times published the draft report on Monday and spoke to one of the authors, the UN special raporteur on torture, Manfred Novak.

"We very, very carefully considered all of the arguments posed by the US government. There are no conclusions that are easily drawn. But we concluded that the situation in several areas violates international law and conventions on human rights and torture," Mr Nowak told the LA Times.

The report suggests some of the treatment of detainees at Guantanamo Bay meets the definition of torture under the UN Convention Against Torture.

This includes the force-feeding of hunger strikers through nasal tubes and the simultaneous use of several interrogation techniques such as prolonged solitary confinement and exposure to extreme temperatures, noise and light.

The UN team also questions the legal status of the Guantanamo camp.

It says insufficient effort has been made to prove that the inmates really are enemy combatants.

It also recommends the prison camp is shut down.

"The US government should close Guantanamo Bay detention facilities without further delay," the report says. "The US government should either expeditiously bring all Guantanamo Bay detainees to trial ... or release them without further delay."
So force feeding someone is torture? I want my mom brought up on charges of torture. No one from the UN has been allowed into Gitmo so how do they know what is going on? I know someone who worked at Gitmo for some time. What they do is no worst than what my older brother did to me growing up.:rollseyes

mahdisoldier19
02-14-2006, 02:48 PM
Assalam Alaikam

What else is new? Half of the people in there are innocent

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
knuckles
02-14-2006, 02:50 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by mahdisoldier19
Assalam Alaikam

What else is new? Half of the people in there are innocent
You have any proof of that?

mahdisoldier19
02-15-2006, 03:33 AM
Yes My cousin who was released months back. Who said they took hundreds of people who usually spoke with taliban and considered them terrorists.

If you dont believe I do not care

DaSangarTalib
02-15-2006, 02:29 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by knuckles
You have any proof of that?
Do you, Mr brush or anyone else have any proof these ppl are so called 'terrorist'??? :?

i think not

knuckles
02-15-2006, 03:40 PM
Do you, Mr brush or anyone else have any proof these ppl are so called 'terrorist'??? :?

i think not
I pretty mush say taking arms against the US is pretty good evidence.

Ghazi
02-15-2006, 03:41 PM
Salaam

Don't america take arms aswell their one's who invade countries.

DaSangarTalib
02-15-2006, 03:51 PM
hahah! yea thats a load of rubbish innocent ppl were picked up of the streets and thrown in cages..they were tortured, abused, humiliated, did they deserved that?? i dont think so...Are you gonna justify that aswell

You keep being ignorant of the real FACTS

knuckles
02-15-2006, 04:16 PM
hahah! yea thats a load of rubbish innocent ppl were picked up of the streets and thrown in cages..they were tortured, abused, humiliated, did they deserved that?? i dont think so...Are you gonna justify that aswell

You keep being ignorant of the real FACTS
Trust me I know more than you know. I know some of the people who conducted the interrogations. If they consider some of these things torture than those muslims are pretty weak and wouldn't last an hour if they really had the screws put to them. You wanna know what they really do at gitmo? I'l give you a little insight into the unclassified stuff. They alter their eating paterns. The'll feed them now then again in 2 hours and then again 12 hrs later then an hour later. They make them wake around the place for a few hours when they are sleepy and shine bright lights on them. They play Britney Spear and Eminem really loud. They tell them lies about their family disowning them and telling them they have been disgraced. If that's torture then my older brother got all them beat and should be tried for crimes against humanity.

knuckles
02-15-2006, 04:17 PM
oh by the way if you wanna talk about torture? Talk to your egyptian brothers. That who we send the high profile people to. They are very good at what they do.

mahdisoldier19
02-16-2006, 12:07 AM
Trust me I know more than you know. I know some of the people who conducted the interrogations. If they consider some of these things torture than those muslims are pretty weak and wouldn't last an hour if they really had the screws put to them. You wanna know what they really do at gitmo? I'l give you a little insight into the unclassified stuff. They alter their eating paterns. The'll feed them now then again in 2 hours and then again 12 hrs later then an hour later. They make them wake around the place for a few hours when they are sleepy and shine bright lights on them. They play Britney Spear and Eminem really loud. They tell them lies about their family disowning them and telling them they have been disgraced. If that's torture then my older brother got all them beat and should be tried for crimes against humanity.

Just out of Curiousity Who Do you know?

Peace and blessings upon you my friend,

Well what my Cousin Saw was Very different, but nonetheless, Since you know more than Fightanddie, That must mean

You know Where the Oil Pipelines are in Afghanistan running towards Russia and other key countries? How much are they paying ? 0

And Who wanted that Oil Pipeline in Afghanistan? Mr. Cheney

And You must also know, About John walker? The american traitor?

Yes it seems that if you wife is stuck in afghanistan these days and when your sent in the country to help find your wife and your suppose to grow a beard and your helping the taliban fighting the communist regime of the northern alliance, Oh ok those are american traitors.

Also, You must definately Know about the conferences between the Saudi Family and Bush family to not intervene with any wars as long as they're $$$ is going.

Oh i forgot you must also know About the social structures and classes of what the USA is trying to setup in Afghanistan and Iraq.

Oh And you must also know about whats really going in afghanistan is nothing compared to whats going to happen in the future.

And On top of that you must also know that a few afghan prisoners from guantameno bay who were beaten and abused are now in afghanistan and theire families are close with my family. They want to talk to anyone to make the truth be revealed about guantameno bay.

Hey Listen not all the guards in Guantameno bay were bad, Some were actually great guys. My cousin told me there were guys who fed them sat with them, tried to understand them and cared for them. But then they're were the guys that didnt do any of that and just did the very opposite.

So Knuckles in Short i agree with you in some ways but in some ways i dont, and im just curious what else do you know?

You will definately know me in a few years. Not for Bad reasons but for Good :)

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.