/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Silas Marner!!!!

The Ruler
02-16-2006, 04:47 PM
:sl:

did an1 eva read Silas Marner by George Eliot???

can som1 plz hwlp me to comment on the language???

wat do u v to comment on anyway??? like wat kind o things shud i luk for?

wat does colloquial language mean?

:w:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
The Ruler
02-16-2006, 05:50 PM
som1s gotta help me...its coursework im talkin bout n i gotta hand it in on Monday :heated:

Kittygyal
02-16-2006, 05:52 PM
i did but av gt da book a jus need to find it n all let u knw A.S.A.P. k

sapphire
02-16-2006, 06:01 PM
ooh i watched the film to tht!!!!!its great for GCSE!!!!!!but i watched it when i was little not for GCSE......so sorry i dunno :-\

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
The Ruler
02-16-2006, 06:47 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by islamgyal
i did but av gt da book a jus need to find it n all let u knw A.S.A.P. k
u dont need da book to tell me wat to say wen u luk at the language of a text :rollseyes

som1 plzzzz help...

:okay:

sigjsp?pcZSzeb063&ampppZN -

Muezzin
02-17-2006, 09:52 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Tagrid
:sl:

did an1 eva read Silas Marner by George Eliot???
Yep.

can som1 plz hwlp me to comment on the language???

wat do u v to comment on anyway??? like wat kind o things shud i luk for?
I don't know. Type up the essay question here so we can help.

wat does colloquial language mean?

colloquial
/klokwil/

• adjective (of language) used in ordinary or familiar conversation; not formal or literary.

— DERIVATIVES colloquially adverb.

— ORIGIN from Latin colloquium ‘conversation’.

Source

Are you just analysing a particular chapter or the entire book?

The Ruler
02-17-2006, 02:50 PM
Type up the essay question here so we can help.
how Silas is presented.

im sposd to comment on the language....how it is used to present Silas n his personality...im totally confused...i dunno wat things to comment on...wat i am sposd to b lukin 4 :? :? :?

czgibson
02-17-2006, 03:00 PM
Greetings,

I've read Silas Marner, but it was many years ago.

If you need to comment on the language used to present him, that gives you plenty of scope since the whole book is about him.

Looking at the adjectives used might be a place to start - how is he described? He's a simple, private person I seem to recall. Look at how he changes when the baby turns up. How does the author show the change in his personality?

You should use quotes from the text to back up what you say. That doesn't mean your whole essay should consist of nothing but quotes, because your teacher wants to hear your own ideas, but you should back them up with quotes whenever possible.

Hope that helps.

Peace

The Ruler
02-17-2006, 03:22 PM
is there a reason why language is used to present silas marner :?

czgibson
02-17-2006, 03:33 PM
Greetings,
is there a reason why language is used to present silas marner :?
I don't really understand the question. Any text uses language to transmit meaning; when studying literature it's interesting to examine the language used by the writer to see how they've done that.

Do they use language to create particular effects? Are there patterns in the words they use? These are the kinds of question I'm referring to.

Peace

Muezzin
02-17-2006, 09:20 PM
how Silas is presented.

im sposd to comment on the language....how it is used to present Silas n his personality...im totally confused...i dunno wat things to comment on...wat i am sposd to b lukin 4 :? :? :?

Look for things like adjectives, any descriptive passages. I recall Silas Marner is a religious man, at least at the beginning of the novel, and then later on he becomes rather attached to a pot and is heartbroken when he smashes it accidentally. He's also miserly, hoarding all his coins just to gaze upon them. You could also talk about his seizures.

When the baby comes his personality changes slightly in that he becomes more caring towards others.

The Ruler
02-17-2006, 09:23 PM
tnx for da elp bro muezzin n czgibson :)

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!