/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Reading prayer from a piece of paper

muslimah_sarah
02-17-2006, 02:58 AM
Asalaam Alaikum
I have one more question I am a very new muslim and have'nt learnt the whole prayer of by heart yet another sister sent me an email telling me what to say till I learn the full prayer but I was wondering if it is permisable to write the whole prayer on a piece of paper and read from it bit by bit as I am praying because this way I think I will learn quicker.
Fiaman allah
:sister: Sarah

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
songinwind
02-17-2006, 03:00 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by muslimah_sarah
Asalaam Alaikum
I have one more question I am a very new muslim and have'nt learnt the whole prayer of by heart yet another sister sent me an email telling me what to say till I learn the full prayer but I was wondering if it is permisable to write the whole prayer on a piece of paper and read from it bit by bit as I am praying because this way I think I will learn quicker.
Fiaman allah
:sister: Sarah

Sister, I don't know if this is right or not..But I also have to do the same, and was taught the prayers, in arabic..each time, I find myself "knowing by heart" a lot of the words...and know all the moves now,,alhamdolillah..
So, I too have to do as you do:) :love:

cool_jannah
02-17-2006, 03:07 AM
:w: sister
Allahu'alam..Allah knows best. I think you should ask some good scholar...asking questions regarding the massail in deen in forums like these is not a very wise thing to do...forums are not the best source to learn deen from...
may Allah accept your struggle and make it easy for you.

Halima
02-17-2006, 03:16 AM
Assalaam Alaykum sister.

Just a helpful suggestion- instead of holding a peice of paper why not hold the Quran and read from it? I have found a fatwa that states it is permissable to read from the Quran during prayer however, there are some obstacles when you do that please read:

• A worshipper can hold the Qur’ân to follow the reading of the imam in prayer if there is a need for it. This would be because the imam has a weak memory and has to delegate one of the worshippers to follow along with his reading in case he makes some mistake.

• Otherwise, I do not think that a worshipper in prayer should follow the imam’s recitation by reading from the Qur’ân. This is because, by doing so, he has to leave out certain desirable practices in his prayer and engage in other things that are undesirable. For instance:

• 1. Holding the Qur’ân in prayer prevents the worshiper from placing his right hand over his left while standing, though this is a Sunnah act of prayer.

• 2. It prevents him from looking at the place of prostration while he is standing in prayer, which is also a Sunnah act.

• 3. It forces the worshipper to make many extraneous and unnecessary movements, such as opening and closing the Qur’ân and putting it somewhere, like under his arm, when he bows, prostrates, and the like.

• Scholars say that any movement in prayer that is unnecessary is something disliked, since it detracts from the worshipper’s humility and concentration.

• Some scholars have even said that the unnecessary movements of the eyes are enough to invalidate the person’s prayer. The eyes have to follow along with the recitation, moving from right to left and from line of text to line of text. Due to the amount of words he will have to read, this adds up to a lot of unnecessary movement, enough to invalidate the prayer.

• Therefore, my advice to my fellow Muslims is to avoid this practice, and instead, concentrate on improving their concentration and their humility in prayer.

for more info please visit www.islamtoday.com

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
muslimah_sarah
02-17-2006, 03:25 AM
Salam
Jazakallah kayran for your replys and for the fatwa you found sis do you know of any good websites where I could ask a scholar of Islam this question where I would get a quick reply I do not want to make my prayer invalid.
Fiaman allah
Sarah

cool_jannah
02-17-2006, 03:40 AM
www.askimam.com

abdul Majid
02-17-2006, 03:42 AM
salam alakum

the faster you learn sis the better...

cool_jannah
02-17-2006, 03:48 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Halima

• A worshipper can hold the Qur’ân to follow the reading of the imam in prayer if there is a need for it. This would be because the imam has a weak memory and has to delegate one of the worshippers to follow along with his reading in case he makes some mistake.
^^^ just made my point. sister Halima I understand your willingness to help others, but I seriously think that it is not allowed to read from the Quran while praying(in general)...there were no Qurans at the time of the Prophet of Allah:arabic5: ...i dont think there is any daleel for the fatwa which says it is allowed to hold the Quran in salaah...
:sl:

Halima
02-17-2006, 12:46 PM
:sl: Brother.

format_quote Originally Posted by cool_jannah
^^^ just made my point. sister Halima I understand your willingness to help others, but I seriously think that it is not allowed to read from the Quran while praying(in general)...there were no Qurans at the time of the Prophet of Allah:arabic5: ...i dont think there is any daleel for the fatwa which says it is allowed to hold the Quran in salaah...

I don't think it is wise for you to base your own judgement on such cases. (Good precaution but not at the right time). I have provided the daleeel from an authentic and reliable website that does not give me any bad conscience that their fatwas are corrupted. The fatwa states that it is allowed, however, it is not suggestable as I have mentioned earlier. Now, as you can see this clearly gives you the option of wether to follow this or not. The fatwa that I have presented never stated that it was obligatory for one to hold the quran whilst praying. If you choose not to do than fine. Alhamdulilah. Howveer, If you choose to do that please bear in mind that it is permitted however it is not suggestable. I strongly emphasize the word not suggestable.

That is why many scholars think it is better not to do that, but it is allowed as stated in the fatwa as I have clearly presented. If it didn't say that it was allowed then I wouldn't have showed it to her and told her that it wasn't allowed. Her question was wether to hold a peice of paper while praying. This fatwa that I have found said holding a quran while praying why should she hold a piece of paper when she is allowed to hold the Quran?

Rabi'ya
02-17-2006, 01:24 PM
when i learnt to pray, I had a piece of paper in front of me with the arabic and english underneat. So while i was reading the arabic, i coudl see the translation of what i was reading. this way the prayer actually meant somthing to me. I learnt it very quickly. maybe within a week of readingfrom the paper. sometimes i would refer to it to make sure i was saying everything right.

Nowadays I try to learn surahs this way too as i find it really easy.

Alhamdulillah i have the best of intentions and I pray that Allah accepts that of me.

Good luck with your learning sis, May Allah help u, ameen

:w:

Rabi'ya:rose:

Hajar
02-17-2006, 01:28 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Rabi'ya
when i learnt to pray, I had a piece of paper in front of me with the arabic and english underneat. So while i was reading the arabic, i coudl see the translation of what i was reading. this way the prayer actually meant somthing to me. I learnt it very quickly. maybe within a week of readingfrom the paper. sometimes i would refer to it to make sure i was saying everything right.

Yes sister .. my best friend who just reverted to Islam is learing in the same way! And its all about ur intensions right.. you trying to learn and if this is the best way for you to do it, then why not??

Halima
02-17-2006, 01:32 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Hajar

Yes sister .. my best friend who just reverted to Islam is learing in the same way! And its all about ur intensions right.. you trying to learn and if this is the best way for you to do it, then why not??

I had to learn the hard way (negative reinforcement) of course. If I didn't learn I wouldn't have been able to pray. I must say that I never learned from paper I had to memorize it by my own head and up til this day it sticks with me. Personally I prefer to memorize it rather then reading from paper because eventually your gonna have to memorize it.

Hajar
02-17-2006, 01:38 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Halima
I had to learn the hard way (negative reinforcement) of course. If I didn't learn I wouldn't have been able to pray. I must say that I never learned from paper I had to memorize it by my own head and up til this day it sticks with me. Personally I prefer to memorize it rather then reading from paper because eventually your gonna have to memorize it.

Ofcours.. but its in the beginning.. to get used to it. Its just for safety! But not meant to use this everytime you pray.
Its only for a certain time, until ur sure you memorized it perfectly. So that you will be able to pray without it as your goal.

cool_jannah
02-17-2006, 03:41 PM
Mashallah:)
May Allah accept your deeds and true intention

shorouk
02-17-2006, 04:09 PM
yes sarah its ok to that until u memorize it...:D
btw welcome to islam!:D

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.