/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Are there health risks to marrying your 1st cousin?

Cheb
02-19-2006, 09:50 AM
:sl:
I am writing this because I was very curious about something. Everyone I asked so far said that there are certain health risks to marrying you 1st cousin. Is that true?
A follow-up question to the people who answer yes would be, if it could be dangerous to you, or your future child’s health, why is it permissible in Islam?

Please know that I am asking this to make me a stronger Muslim and not because I am doubting Islam's rules. I am always sure that I will find a satisfying answer if I ask enough questions. Any feedback will be appreciated.
Thank you.
:w:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Muezzin
02-19-2006, 04:05 PM
I'd just like to make the general clarification that marrying first cousins is not illegal or incestuous. The main reason there is a stigma attached to such unions is because there is a greater chance of genetic disorders within the family passing onto the offspring.

However, the same danger is present in other marriages - you just have the combined dangers of two different families :p

akulion
02-19-2006, 04:21 PM
Salam Alaikum

Marrying the 1st cousin is not harmful as long as the marriage is not carried out in a closed family system where such marriages have been carried over many generations.

Basically Take this example: (My family)

- My Grandfather (from moms side) was NOT married to any cousins in the family but externally

- My Grandfather (from dads side) was NOT married to any cousins in the family but externally

- My Father did not marry any cousins but married externally

- My Brother was married to my cousin

This will not cause any problems at all since there is enough healthy blood in the gene pool. Alhamdolillah they also have 2 healthy daughters.

The Unhealthy senario would have been:

- My Grandfather (from moms side) was married to cousin

- My Grandfather (from dads side) was married to cousin

(both grandfathers were also relatives and cousins)

- My Father was married to cousin

- My Brother was married to cousin

This is what a "closed family" system is which is part of cultural practices in many countries.

this is the Unhealthy system since over generations the Gene pool starts getting exhausted and thus deformaties start to occur.

Please do note that such family systems are usually also highly racists and biased against other "races" and "people" (as is the case in Pakistan)

But Alhamdolilah Islam encourages marriage anywhere as long as the other person is Muslim :)

I hope that sheds some light into the matter?

DaNgErOuS MiNdS
02-19-2006, 11:35 PM
Here's a good discussion we had on it in a diffrent thread:

http://www.islamicboard.com/marriage...-marriage.html

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Malaikah
02-20-2006, 06:00 AM

bro akulion, you make a really good point with that, i never thought of it that way.

Cheb
02-20-2006, 10:24 AM
Thanks akulion. That is the exaplanation I was looking for. I knew there had to be a good one. Makes sense now.

akulion
02-20-2006, 11:37 AM
Ur welcome bro and sis

I forgot to mention 1 thing which is that it is sufficient to have a single "external" marriage to refresh the gene pool and put off the deformation scenario for another few generations.

The deformaties only occur when new blood is never introduced in successsive generations at all.

handhuvar
02-28-2006, 03:18 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Cheb
I am writing this because I was very curious about something. Everyone I asked so far said that there are certain health risks to marrying you 1st cousin. Is that true?
A follow-up question to the people who answer yes would be, if it could be dangerous to you, or your future child’s health, why is it permissible in Islam?

Please know that I am asking this to make me a stronger Muslim and not because I am doubting Islam's rules. I am always sure that I will find a satisfying answer if I ask enough questions. Any feedback will be appreciated.
Thank you.

akulion gave the answer very well.
and remember life itself is full of risks. wach and every step u take u wil hav to face problems. no matter who u marry or where this person if from.

we are sent here to this world for such things
for exams we hav to face and try to solve all the problems
allah examine our patience. so try to pass in all the exams
wish u all the best
may almighty allah bless u

Bintyaya
03-04-2006, 07:51 AM
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

(206) 543-3620
sowerspl@u.washington.edu
DATE: April 3, 2002

First cousins face lower risk of having children with genetic conditions than is widely perceived

Cousins contemplating marriage or concerned about a pregnancy arising from their union have often found it difficult to get accurate information about risks to their offspring.

In a paper published in the April issue of the Journal of Genetic Counseling, a task force made up of genetic counselors, physicians and epidemiologists, among others, has evaluated the evidence about risks for offspring for first cousins and provides guidelines for counseling and advising such couples.

The task force was brought together by the National Society of Genetic Counselors. It considered recommendations for various unions of consanguineous (literally, blood-sharing) couples related as second cousins or more closely.

The consensus of the task force and those who reviewed the recommendations "is that beyond a thorough medical family history with follow-up of significant findings, no additional preconception screening is recommended for consanguineous couples." They should, of course, be offered genetic screening tests that would routinely be offered to other couples of their ethnic group.

In part because of social stigma and because marriage between first cousins is prohibited in 30 states and laws on other consanguineous relationships vary, the authors note that many such unions are kept secret.

"Because of widespread misconceptions about the actual level of risk to offspring, some of these pregnancies are terminated and other couples suffer a lot of needless anxiety," said Robin Bennett, lead author of the paper and president-elect of the National Society of Genetic Counselors. Bennett is a certified genetic counselor at University of Washington Medical Center and manages the Genetic Medicine Clinic there.

The paper's senior author is Dr. Arno Motulsky, professor emeritus of medicine and genome sciences at the UW and a pioneer in medical genetics studies.

Relatively few studies have documented actual risks to the offspring of consanguineous unions, the authors note, and many of the studies that have been done are flawed in terms of their relevance for the general population. The task force reviewed all studies published in English in the medical literature, and some additional materials.

What the authors were looking for is the additional risk of significant birth defects (mental retardation or genetic disorders) -- or risk that is more than that faced by the general population of couples. For example, for couples, if the base (general population) risk of genetic conditions is 5 percent, it's the additional risk that is important for consanguineous couples to know.

Although they emphasize that it's not possible to come up with one number for all populations of consanguineous couples, the authors estimate the additional risk to range from 1.7 to 2.8 percent for first cousin unions. From her experience in counseling, Bennett believes these numbers are far lower than most people's perception of the risk.

One reason these issues and questions have come to the fore now is that health care practitioners are seeing more cousin unions in the immigrant population coming to North America from Africa and the Middle East. In some of these societies, the authors note, cousin marriages are actually traditionally preferred and quite common. Better information and appropriate guidelines are especially needed by physicians and genetic counselors who work with these groups so that more objective and culturally respectful services can be provided.

The paper also includes guidelines for screening for the recessive genes that can produce offspring with disorders of metabolism or hearing disorders, among others. In many cases, these disorders can be treated if found early in life. In the same vein, the importance of routine, regular early childhood pediatric care, as set out in American Academy of Pediatrics guidelines, is emphasized for children of cousin unions.

And what about the laws preventing cousins from marrying? The authors note such laws may eventually change as a result of evidence about actual risks.

amirah_87
04-06-2006, 06:29 PM
salaams ppl

well my mum and dad are first cuosins and i turnt out ok .......*i think*

wassalaam

Cheb
04-06-2006, 10:45 PM
Thats good mashallah. But try not to marry your first cousin. :)

Ghazi
04-06-2006, 10:53 PM
Salaam

What I can't get my head around is how can one get romantic with a person they've considerd family.

Mezier
04-07-2006, 04:52 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by islam-truth
Salaam

What I can't get my head around is how can one get romantic with a person they've considerd family.
well it depends if you grew up with them or not.

from my dads side, i barely know most of my cousins. I'd say my best friend is ALOT closer to me than my cousins from my popa's family.

Here in north america (and europe), we are raised to consider 1st cousin marriages as a form of incest, especially if "we consider them family". But when we look at most parts of the middle east, those people grow up with their cousins, make friends with their cousins, consider them family, and still marry their cousins without a problem.

Guess its an individual/cultural thing.

Anette
04-07-2006, 08:02 PM
I'm not Muslim but I will answer anyway.

Some diseases have to be inheriting of both parents to be active. From one parent it would not be noticed. It is only if both chromosomes in the chromosomes pair have this recessive rudiment it will have effect on babies. But you can pass on a recessive rudiment to your babies. Many diseases are recessive. Often it is just a gene that due to mutation becoming non beneficial and because of that not longer can be used for a guide to create the protein the gene is coding for. If the parents have many genes in common the risk will be higher that any of them is not benficial.

But in many societies, included mine, it is nowadays allowed to get married with your cousin because it is quite unusual that it exist these kinds of closed societies. But if you have a rare disease running in family you might give it a thought. The royal families in Europe were very closed at a time. The consequence was that haemophilia was nearly wiping out all male sons of royalties in Europe due to a recessive gene that was causing this disease.

I hope you find a way with the help of God.

SilentObserver
02-20-2007, 06:34 AM
Are there health risks to marrying your 1st cousin?

Well to your Grandfather there can be. If he has a weak ticker and sees his grandchildren as a 'couple' for the first time.

Az969
02-27-2007, 06:01 PM
Not quite, marrying your cousins from either side (Maternal Or Paternal) does not carry any risks of there offsprings being unhealthy or born with diseases, as being an example.

My parents were both first cousins and yet myself and (my other siblings) are healthy allahamdullilah, my 2 youngest brothers have married our cousins and there off springs are healthy.

However there are some non muslims and muslims who believe otherwise.

Salams

Aslam

Hemoo
02-28-2007, 11:19 AM
besides you must rely on your creator in every thing

because allah alone can help you and cure you and grant and give you success.

besides their is the Salat of "istikhara"

in wich you make du`aa to Allah to guide you to what is good to you in your life and in your faith. this du`aa you say after perfoming two rak`aas.

wa salam

Rhubarb Tart
08-23-2010, 09:21 PM

:bump:

nothing wrong with cousin marriages as long as it is not carried many times over. I think those who marry their cousin need to make sure that this hasnt been done many times over within their families and blood test.

I bump this thread because I was watching dispatches:

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/d...es/4od#3116215

Zafran
08-24-2010, 12:14 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by sweet106

:bump:

nothing wrong with cousin marriages as long as it is not carried many times over. I think those who marry their cousin need to make sure that this hasnt been done many times over within their families and blood test.

I bump this thread because I was watching dispatches:

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/d...es/4od#3116215
Salaam

Most of the time the cultures that indulge in these types of marriages also have a history of doing them.

peace

sabr*
08-24-2010, 12:58 AM
As-Salāmu `Alaykum (السلام عليكم):

A British study in part:

"There has been a bit of a push of people saying that consanguineous marriage is dangerous and should be banned but before we start making decisions on that we need to look at the data," he says.
The genetic conditions more common in populations with high rates of consanguineous marriage are rare recessive disorders which cause a wide range of problems, such as blindness, deafness, skin diseases, and neurodegenerative conditions.

We all carry gene mutations and sometimes, such as in the case of cystic fibrosis, they are fairly common in the general population.

But when a population has a small gene pool the gene mutation can become more frequent.
If two people carrying a recessive gene reproduce, their children have a one in four chance of having the disorder and a one in two chance of becoming carriers themselves.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/7404730.stm

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle7069255.ece
__________________________________________________ ___

A question? Is this more cultural than based upon Islam? This practice was practiced during the times of Nabi Muhammad (SAWS) but he also married within different cultures and religions. One of the Ummul-Muminin Zaynab bint Jahsh was his first cousin. The community was small, etc.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.