/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Global Warming.

DaNgErOuS MiNdS
02-20-2006, 01:21 AM
How serious is it??

What effects will climate change have?

What effects will climate change have?Even if we stop burning fossil fuels and cutting down forests today, the world's climate will still warm in years to come. There is a time lag between when the emissions occur and when we begin to feel their effects, so we have yet to experience the impact of the greenhouse gas emissions from the last 30–40 years.Scientists have identified some of the likely effects of this warming.

Rainfall

Some regions will experience more extreme rainfall while others will experience drought.

Sea level
The sea level could rise by more than 40 centimetres by the end of the century. There are two reasons for this. First, as the water in the oceans warms, it expands. Second, ice from the polar caps and from glaciers is melting into the sea. Rising sea levels will completely swamp some small, low-lying island states and put millions of people in low-lying areas at risk.

Water

There will be less water available for irrigation and drinking because there will be less rain, and salt from rising sea levels will contaminate ground water in coastal areas. Droughts are likely to be more frequent. Three billion more people could suffer increased water shortages by 2080. Northern Africa, the Middle East and the Indian subcontinent will be the worst affected.

Harvest

As temperatures increase and rainfall patterns change, cereal crop yields are expected to drop significantly in Africa, the Middle East and India.

Disease
As temperatures increase, the areas that harbour diseases such as malaria, West Nile disease, dengue fever and river blindness will shift. It is predicted that 290 million additional people could be exposed to malaria by the 2080s, with China and Central Asia seeing the biggest increase in risk.

Rainforests
Higher temperatures and reduced rainfall could mean the loss of large areas of Brazilian and southern African rainforest – on top of the forest that we are cutting down to clear land for agriculture. These forests currently act as a 'sink' by absorbing large amounts of carbon dioxide which would otherwise be released into the atmosphere

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Mainul_Islam
02-21-2006, 07:39 AM
Ya Allah! is the Day really approaching this fast?!

Hadhrat Asma bint Yazeed (radhiyallahu anhu) narrates that Rasulullah (sallallahu alayhi wasallam) once came to my house and there he spoke about Dajjaal:
He said that before the emergence of Dajjaal there will be three spells of drought. In one year the skies will withold one third of its rains, causing the earth to withold one third of its produce. In the second year the skies will withold two thirds of its rains, causing the earth to withold two thirds of its produce. In the third year, the skies will withold all its water and there will be no crops that year. All animals, be they hooved or toothed, will die as a result. The greatest evil of Dajjaall will be to approach anyone and ask him: "If I bring your camel back to life, will you then believe that I am your Rabb?"

Anette
02-21-2006, 08:39 AM
I think it is very serious and worth a lot of attention. I read some Environmental History at Uni and it did not make me less worried.

Some part is really disturbing like the climate. And to be true I am worried because the world seams to be full of people thinking about themselves and in the beginning of an effect to the climate some parts of the world at first will get benefits while other parts is going fast against a disaster. People thinking not longer then their own nose will care less if the coming generation has to pay for the good time they have right now.

Denying that the fossil fuels effect the climate is not very odd if you think of how many companies, states and people depending upon them. What is strange is that it is even discussed when you have in mind all forces that is against this discussion.

I take it very seriously. But it will always come someone pointing out that it is not proven to be any danger. But only the possible scenarios should be scary enough to think "what happen if we are wrong" is the possibilities worth gambling with and sticking the head in the sand and denying it.

DaNgErOuS MiNdS
02-21-2006, 10:34 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Mainul_Islam
Ya Allah! is the Day really approaching this fast?!

Hadhrat Asma bint Yazeed (radhiyallahu anhu) narrates that Rasulullah (sallallahu alayhi wasallam) once came to my house and there he spoke about Dajjaal:
He said that before the emergence of Dajjaal there will be three spells of drought. In one year the skies will withold one third of its rains, causing the earth to withold one third of its produce. In the second year the skies will withold two thirds of its rains, causing the earth to withold two thirds of its produce. In the third year, the skies will withold all its water and there will be no crops that year. All animals, be they hooved or toothed, will die as a result. The greatest evil of Dajjaall will be to approach anyone and ask him: "If I bring your camel back to life, will you then believe that I am your Rabb?"
Jazzak'Allah for that

That's right Anette, too many people are thinking too much about themselves and in the quest to gain riches much of the world is destroyed. I read somewhere but unfortunatley i can't refrence it that 20% of the population are taking up 80% of the worlds resources while these people can save millions of lives in places like South Africa but greed has always been the downfall of man.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Anette
02-21-2006, 12:06 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by DaNgErOuS MiNdS
That's right Anette, too many people are thinking too much about themselves and in the quest to gain riches much of the world is destroyed. I read somewhere but unfortunatley i can't refrence it that 20% of the population are taking up 80% of the worlds resources while these people can save millions of lives in places like South Africa but greed has always been the downfall of man.
I did not only think about these well-known facts regarding how it is today regarding some living of others :heated: . But what is personally frightens me is that the western countries and the other ones who is placed in temperate zones at first will become better off with increasingly land to harvest from - at the same time as people in Africa e.g. going to be without water and have increasingly deserts instead IF the climate change is going to escalate. So from a western perspective it is "not so bad" at the beginning to have a climate change. And regarding to history that fact do frightened me. That may be a part of the reason why it is "no hurry". But even if we in western countries at the beginning were better off in the last long run the whole humanity will be negative affected.

I forward you a link regarding climate change that is in English it is quite good. It is from a national authority. This is one from my personal point of view one of the most important question for humanity.

http://www.naturvardsverket.se/bokha...620-8155-1.pdf

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.