/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Rabbis Speak Out On Cartoons

miseshayek
02-22-2006, 03:23 AM
The right to satirise is not the right to injure or humiliate

Brussels - 5-Feb-06

The Conference of European Rabbis expresses its concern at recent publications by European press organs which humiliate and disparage the feelings of Muslims.

"I share the anger of Muslims at these cartoons and I understand it," CER President and Chief Rabbi of France Joseph Sitruk said.

Rabbi Sitruk said that the publication of cartoons depicting the Muslim Prophet Mohammed by the Danish daily, Jyllands-Posten, and their subsequent publication by other European press organs, showed "a lack of intellectual honesty and a deep lack of respect for the feelings of others."

"We gain nothing by disparaging religions, by humiliating people and by making caricatures of religious symbols. But even these actions must never be allowed to justify a response which is completely out of proportion to understandable feelings of anger. Nothing in our shared monotheist traditions can justify violence and blind hatred," Rabbi Sitruk added.

The CER president pointed out that the increasing tendency of a lack of respect towards religion was not confined to the West.

"Jews are all too familiar with caricatures of hate which appear with increasing regularity today particularly in the Middle East. Such forms of what is wrongly called freedom of expression are unacceptable whether in Syria or in Denmark," Rabbi Sitruk said.

"Everyone has the right to think whatever he wishes, but the right to express and the right to satire do not confer the right to humiliate and to injure," he added.

The Conference of European Rabbis federates Jewish religious leaders in over 40 countries and includes all the continent’s chief rabbis and senior rabbinical judges. The CER holds consultancy status at the Council of Europe and within the institutions of the European Union. ENDS

For further information, please contact:-

Philip Carmel
International Relations Director
Conference of European Rabbis
tel: +32-2-340-9628
fax: +32-2-344-6735
gsm: +32-495-277-947
email: philipcarmel@cer-online.org

http://www.cer-online.org/en/DisplayRelease.asp?ID=35

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
north_malaysian
02-22-2006, 03:27 AM
I support!!!!!

No caricatures blaming other people religions whether in Syria, Malaysia, Denmark, Israel etc.

Muslims should stop anti-semitic cartoons like, right now!!!!:grumbling

Chuck
02-22-2006, 03:29 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by north_malaysian
I support!!!!!

No caricatures blaming other people religions whether in Syria, Malaysia, Denmark, Israel etc.

Muslims should stop anti-semitic cartoons like, right now!!!!:grumbling
me too.

abdul Majid
02-22-2006, 03:31 AM
i just wanted to say thier are good people everywhere in very religion, alot of jews are cool, its the ZIONISTS YOU HAVE TO WORRIE ABOUT !!!!!

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
north_malaysian
02-22-2006, 03:36 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by abdul Majid
i just wanted to say thier are good people everywhere in very religion, alot of jews are cool, its the ZIONISTS YOU HAVE TO WORRIE ABOUT !!!!!
Good remarks!!!!:)

miseshayek
02-22-2006, 01:44 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by abdul Majid
These rabbis are adament Zionists. Read their webpage.

Sis786
02-23-2006, 09:42 AM
I suppose people with a deep love for faith could understand our anger its just those crazee war loving muslim hating terroist seeking FOOLS we need to convience

akhee
02-23-2006, 05:13 PM
i wonder why some of our Muslim countries are goin on violent protests n stuff? i mean, wad do we gain by doin that? the cartoons r already done, n its out, wad will happen if they apologise? nothing. the problem here is not really about wad they've done, its really about wad we r gonna do to prove the REAL face of Islam? the whole thing started becuz of theze ppl goin around doin extremism in the name of Jihad, we gotta stop thiz. we gotta correct ppl within our circle before we point at others.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.