/* */

PDA

View Full Version : OIC Slams Cartoonists' Killing Reward

sonz
02-22-2006, 09:13 PM
ISLAMABAD, February 22, 2006 (IslamOnline.net & News Agencies) – The pan-Muslim organization denounced calls to kill cartoonists of drawings mocking Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessing be upon him) as running counter to the teachings of Islam.

"You have no authority to kill anybody," Reuters quoted Ekmeleddin Ihsanoglu, the Secretary-General of the 57-member Organization of Islamic Conference (OIC), as saying after talks with Pakistani leaders Tuesday, February 21.

Rewards amounting to over $1 million were offered by Pakistani religious figures to kill the Danish cartoonists of the anti-Prophet caricatures.

"This is not a joke to go and say kill this and that. This is a very serious matter and nobody has authority to issue a ruling to kill people," he said.

"Nobody is entitled to do this in the name of Islam and who does it in the name of Islam is harming Islam."

Twelve cartoons lampooning the prophet were published in September by Denmark's mass-circulation daily Jyllands-Posten and later reprinted by newspapers in many countries.

One of the drawings shows the Prophet wearing a bomb-shaped turban and another shows him as a knife-wielding nomad flanked by shrouded women.

The caricatures, considered blasphemous under Islam, have triggered massive and sometimes violent demonstrations across the Muslim world, with no sign of abating.

Peaceful Means

The OIC chief also urged Muslims to seek peaceful means in protesting the European cartoons.

"Violence weakens us. Violence works against us. Anything except violence is helpful," he added.

At least 50 people have been killed and at least 280 injured in violent protests in Nigeria, Libya, Pakistan and Afghanistan in protests over the insulting drawings.

Muslim scholars, including prominent Sheikh Yusuf Al-Qaradawi, organizations and leaders have been united in condemning violent attacks over the cartoons.

Ihsanoglu said the pan-Muslim body and many Muslim countries were negotiating with the United Nations and the European Union to include an article on religious defamation in a UN General Assembly resolution creating a new human rights council.

"We are expressing the expectations of the Muslim Ummah (nation) with an objective that our values and particularly our Prophet be protected and never be insulted as such once again."

A cohort of Muslim dignitaries and organizations have called for the enactment of an international law banning the publication of any insults to religious symbols and values.

Misconception

The OIC chief said there was a misconception in the West that Muslims were encroaching upon their freedom of expression by proposing such legislation on religious defamation.

"We are not interested in challenging their freedom of speech but we say the freedom of speech and freedom of expression does not mean insulting others."

Many European newspapers reprinted the insulting drawings on claims of freedom of expression.

Ihsanoglu said European press laws already put certain restrictions regarding national symbols, anti-Semitism and the Holocaust.

"What we are looking for is that you take our sensitivities in your definition (of freedom of expression). If you fail to do that ... it will be a problem of credibility and a problem of universality of European values which they say are universal values."

Despite his retraction, British historian David Irving was sentenced for three years in prison Monday, February 20, for denying the Holocaust.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
sweetangel16
02-23-2006, 02:57 AM
thats tru there not supposed to kill them
during the prophet time (sallahu alhee wa salem many ppl made fun of him and hurt him and he never ever thought of killing them or even hurting them...

Sis786
02-23-2006, 09:30 AM
Im sure i heard that some Muslim Brother from India has offered god knows how much million rupees to the man that kills the Cartoonist!

*What was that why am I holding a riffle!*

justahumane
02-23-2006, 10:23 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Sis786
Im sure i heard that some Muslim Brother from India has offered god knows how much million rupees to the man that kills the Cartoonist!
U are right sister, He is Haji Yaqoob Qureshi. A MINISTER in state of UP. He has offered Rs. 501 Million to anyone who cuts head of the cartoonist, the killer will also be weighed in gold besides the money.

Thanks.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Sis786
02-23-2006, 10:43 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by justahumane
U are right sister, He is Haji Yaqoob Qureshi. A MINISTER in state of UP. He has offered Rs. 501 Million to anyone who cuts head of the cartoonist, the killer will also be weighed in gold besides the money.

Thanks.
Really!:uuh: :eek: :mmokay: :okay:

Isaac
02-23-2006, 10:46 AM
How much is 13stones in gold?????;D ;D

ubaid
02-23-2006, 10:48 AM
sallam
i agree that the cartoonists should not be killed, but we cannot sit back and let them mock our prophet(pbuh). What kind of action do you think we can take?
sallam

ubaid
02-23-2006, 10:49 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Isaac
How much is 13stones in gold?????;D ;D

uuummm, 13stone :rollseyes

Isaac
02-23-2006, 11:01 AM
Salam brother Ubaid. Fisrtly i would like to say that this is my opinion. I think that that all the muslim nations around the world, regardlesss if they are recognised or not should have a council meeting and decide on a number of measures which they can take firtsly to bring about justice for the crime and secondly to prevent any insult like this happening again. Secondly as regards to the boycotting of trade by the international community, meaning countries, ive herd from a source that tis goes agants international trade and that countries involved in boycotting could be breaking the international trade treaty. Domething along that line. justthought ill add that. and would like to know if someone knows any more about this issue. this doesn not effect citizens of that country boycotting the goods.

the ideas which i think could be used include:
1 - A law introduced to prevent further insults to any religion
2 - Boycotting their goods until further notice or (even all together)
3 - Like one brother said, a formal apology, and a hadith relating to the best of all mankind Muhammed pbuh in the paper which started the insult showing his caring, and just conduct for a whole year
4 - Allowing if not already a muslim newspaper to be publsihed and beome available to all danish public, not just in the mosques

4 -

Sis786
02-23-2006, 01:00 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ubaid
uuummm, 13stone :rollseyes
Dont even think about it!:rant: ITS MINE MINE MINE MINE MINE

j4763
02-23-2006, 01:08 PM
1 - A law introduced to prevent further insults to any religion

^^^^
Get my vote + a formal apology.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.