/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Giant mosque for 40,000 may be built at London Olympics

S_87
02-23-2006, 03:44 PM
:sl:

A MASSIVE mosque that will hold 40,000 worshippers is being proposed beside the Olympic complex in London to be opened in time for the 2012 Games.

The project’s backers hope the mosque and its surrounding buildings would hold a total of 70,000 people, only 10,000 fewer than the Olympic stadium.
Its futuristic design features wind turbines instead of the traditional minarets, while a translucent latticed roof would replace the domes seen on most mosques. The complex is designed to become the “Muslim quarter” for the Games, acting as a hub for Islamic competitors and spectators.

“It will be something never seen before in this country. It is a mosque for the future as part of the British landscape,” said Abdul Khalique, a senior member of Tablighi Jamaat, a worldwide Islamic missionary group that is proposing the mosque as its new UK headquarters.

Tablighi Jamaat has come under scrutiny from western security agencies since 9/11. Two years ago, according to The New York Times, a senior FBI anti-terrorism official claimed it was a recruiting ground for Al-Qaeda. British police investigated a report that Mohammad Sidique Khan, leader of the July 7 London bombers, had attended its present headquarters in Dewsbury, West Yorkshire. In August, Bavaria expelled three members of the organisation on the grounds that it promoted Islamic extremism.

Defenders of Tablighi Jamaat say that it is not political and confines itself to humanitarian work. It was founded in India under the British Raj and has many members in Pakistan and Bangladesh.

The east London complex would have by far the largest capacity of any religious building in Britain. The biggest at present is the Baitul Futuh in Morden, Surrey, which holds about 10,000 worshippers. Liverpool’s Anglican cathedral, the largest Christian place of worship, has a capacity of 3,000.

The new building will be called the London Markaz (Arabic for centre) and will be built in place of an existing mosque on a 10-acre site 500 yards from the Olympic development.

The three-storey mosque will be designed to accommodate more than 40,000 worshippers. Its sweeping roof is intended to evoke tented cities.
The complex would include a garden, school, library and accommodation for visiting worshippers.

Islamic calligraphy would cover the walls and ceilings, the washing areas would have cascading water to mimic a stream, and the complex’s buildings would be adapted to allow extra worshippers during festivals such as Eid, accommodating a further 30,000 visitors.

Ali Mangera, the London and Barcelona-based architect who is designing the mosque, said: “People in this country build mosques with fake domes and plastic minarets to look like the mosques back home. Islam has traditionally been at the forefront of technology and change. The Markaz will reflect this. It will be more than a mosque. The whole idea behind it is to break down barriers.”

Mangera has previously worked with leading British architects including Zaha Hadid, designer of the Cardiff opera house. Mangera and Tablighi Jamaat are in negotiations with Newham council, the Greater London Authority and the Thames Gateway Development Corporation for planning permission.

Sunil Sahadevan, a planning officer at Newham council, said: “We are working towards the mosque application with the organisers and discussions are ongoing. The application will be finalised over the next year.”

It is estimated that the project would cost more than £100m and donations are being sought from Britain and abroad.

source

i say: call be a bit weird but i think england has enough big state of art masjids but they arent filling up. ie we concentrate too much on building but not filling.
ummmmmmmmmm id be curious to know if they allow women in this masjid. place my bets no because they simply dont allow women. <_<

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Sis786
02-23-2006, 03:58 PM
[BANANA]Mashallah Banana is well excited and is wondering where he can donate[/BANANA]

*I know the whole banana thing is werid BUT i love it*

Ghazi
02-23-2006, 04:43 PM
Salaam

Great news but I'm strongly against the 'Tablighi Jamaat' declering the mosque as it's headquaters.

mahdisoldier19
02-23-2006, 04:46 PM
Another Sign of Qiyamat!

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
MetSudaisTwice
02-23-2006, 04:47 PM
salam
yes mashallah i heard about this markaz, they did a presentation of it in my local mosque quite some time ago, apparently it will be the biggest mosque in europe
wasalam

Isaac
02-23-2006, 04:47 PM
Salam. Broher i just hope that this mosque doesnt cause further divisons. it shouldnt be solely represntive of any jamat as such. it should be open to all. but as long as it doenst turn into a tourist attraction like most mosques, 9historical mosques in the arab world have. you get more non-belivers in there than muslims, tkaing pictures, free mxing, and half of them in their shorts.

MetSudaisTwice
02-23-2006, 04:50 PM
salam
it should have an enviroment like the harams of makkah and madinah, where all race and ethnics are welcomed
wasalam

Ghazi
02-23-2006, 04:52 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by metsudaistwice
salam
it should have an enviroment like the harams of makkah and madinah, where all race and ethnics are welcomed
wasalam
Salaam

Yeah I agree bro, but if 'Tablighi Jamaat' Get declare the mosque there headquaters then It'll be known as their mosque

MetSudaisTwice
02-23-2006, 04:55 PM
salam
when they came to present the idea to our mosque, there wasn't any mention of different sect being involved
mashallah there are some awesome ideas and design being implemented in the mosque
wasalam

Isaac
02-23-2006, 04:56 PM
I see where your coming from bro, ut that shouldnt deter and hopefuly turn away muslims who are not in their jamat.

Ghazi
02-23-2006, 04:57 PM
Salaam

Lets hope they keep any sects out the picture.

niqaabii
02-23-2006, 05:06 PM
y r u guys against this mosque thing?

what is the tablighi jamaat?

MetSudaisTwice
02-23-2006, 05:08 PM
salam
am not against it, mashallah it is always great news that there is another mosque being built
wasalam

Ghazi
02-23-2006, 05:09 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by niqaabii

what is the tablighi jamaat?
Salaam

I'm not against the mosque being built i'm just against against groups declaring mosques as there headquaters.

niqaabii
02-23-2006, 05:11 PM
oh ok
so can someone tell me what tablighi jamaat is plz?
jazakallah in advance
ps. they aint one of the 4 mathabs r they?

Khaldun
02-23-2006, 10:23 PM

Please refrain from talking about sectarian issues as these are against the forum rules.

Please see http://www.islamicboard.com/sects-divisions/

farhan2
02-23-2006, 10:54 PM
Sister can i ask where u got this information from for example an article or the internet:brother: But very interesting:rollseyes. Jazakallah

azim
02-23-2006, 11:22 PM
This is really gonna **BEEP** the **BEEP** out of the BNP.

Alhamdulillah.

S_87
02-24-2006, 10:38 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by niqaabii

?

actually yh

lol. i think its too extravagent and we as an ummah can do so much more with over £100 million. there are people who dont know when the next time they are going to eat is. yet here we are buildingg a way massive masjid..is it needed? :? :offended:

Ghazi
02-24-2006, 10:40 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by amani

actually yh

lol. i think its too extravagent and we as an ummah can do so much more with over £100 million. there are people who dont know when the next time they are going to eat is. yet here we are buildingg a way massive masjid..is it needed? :? :offended:
Salaam

Thats true they could build plenty of mosques with that amount, and still have enought do help out our brothers and sisters who are suffering

Isaac
02-24-2006, 11:15 AM
Who is financing the 100 million?

aamirsaab
02-24-2006, 12:29 PM
The kufar!!!11one

At the end of the article it says that they are looking for donations from around Europe etc.

Salaam
02-24-2006, 02:18 PM
Salaam,

here

Salaam
02-24-2006, 02:19 PM
Salaam,

I have seen the design, its looks like a studium...

aamirsaab
02-24-2006, 02:28 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Salaam
Salaam,

here
That looks cool. Almost boat-like cool!

IbnAbdulHakim
02-24-2006, 02:32 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by islam-truth
Salaam

Great news but I'm strongly against the 'Tablighi Jamaat' declering the mosque as it's headquaters.
WAT!!! tablighi's want it as there headquarters?? no way!!
if nethin mayb an imam from one o d four schools or one who strives to be salaf and follows strictly the sunnah and the quran!

I HATE SECTS!!!!!!

IbnAbdulHakim
02-24-2006, 02:34 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by amani

actually yh

agreed, i said that wen the whitechapel mosque was being built. Why have all those extra facilities and so on? its jus a waste im my opinion and so much goes on the looks... we jus need a place to pray here...

sadik
02-24-2006, 03:53 PM
:sl: the mosque that was founded on taqwa{piety}from the very first day is more-worthy that you stand there.in it there are people who like to observe purity;and allah loves those observing puroty.sura toba 9;107 from here we come to know that the merit or superiority of a masjid really depends on the fact that it should have been made with absolute sincerity for the sake of allah.and to put it conversely,there should not be any trace of duplicity,any motive to earn name,fame and recognition<or any other false and corrupt intrest involved in its making.we also learn that the quality of those who pray in a masjid is significant.if they are good,righteous,knowledgeable about there religion{alim}and are devoted to the worship of allah{abid}the superiority of the masjid increases. :w:

mizan_aliashraf
02-24-2006, 04:01 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by metsudaistwice
salam
wasalam

Salam
Very true, but in makkah and madinah, the whole surrounding is blessed. That is why you get that unique feeling. This 'masjid' getting so big is a major sign of the last hour.
Wassalam

mizan_aliashraf
02-24-2006, 04:04 PM
Salam
Donations? No way, not from me. That 'thing' does not look nothing like a masjid. These people who are designing it are getting a bit too modern for thier own good. Yes i do agree that the centre in whitechapel was expensive, but it was needed and the way the community in the area donated was awesome. May Allah reward them all.
Wassalam

north_malaysian
02-25-2006, 04:41 AM
A Mosque belongs to everyone who worship Allah. Enough of secterian violence in Muslim worlds.:offended:

anis_z24
02-26-2006, 04:01 AM
Salam
we are all talking about the biggest mosque. But what about its qualiy?

Ihsaan
03-24-2006, 05:42 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by mahdisoldier19
Another Sign of Qiyamat!
Nobody can stop the Tabligh Jamaat . Those who has opposed The Tabligh Jamaat has deprived of Deen . Go for 40 days then you will see the reality and the power of This Jamaat .

Ihsaan
03-24-2006, 05:48 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Khaldun

Please refrain from talking about sectarian issues as these are against the forum rules.

Please see http://www.islamicboard.com/sects-divisions/
The Tabligh Jamaat is not a sect . Alhamdulillah The Jammat is uniting the Ummah . Go to Raiwind in Pakistan you will see all the country there also the sons and daugters of many Shuyukh in the Saudi Arabia in this Markaz .

Ghazi
03-24-2006, 05:57 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ihsaan
Nobody can stop the Tabligh Jamaat . Those who has opposed The Tabligh Jamaat has deprived of Deen . Go for 40 days then you will see the reality and the power of This Jamaat .
Salaam

Answer this how come every time I run into the Tabligh's they only seem intrested in follow mulsims, shouldn't they be giving dawa to the kufar. and the 3 day,40 day thing why do they do this is it in the sunnah.

Yanal
01-16-2009, 05:03 AM
That is great news for the Muslims in the UK. But why for the intention of the olympics. My local imam once had an excellent example of having an intention. There was a man whose house was near a mosque, but his house got very hot during summer so he decided to make a window. The local imam or prophet Muhammad (pbuh) don't know which but one of them told that man. " If you had built that window for hearing the adhaan you would get good deeds everytime you hear it and also get a cool breeze."And so if those people who are donating to build that mosque make an intention for helping Muslims increase there praying at mosque then the donaters will get one good deed for everyone who prays or gets served because of this mosque. So if you're making it why don't have a good intention as well?

Yanal
01-16-2009, 05:04 AM
^ My apologies I did not see that this was an old thread. Please don't delete my ^ post because it has a good learning experience.

Fishman
01-16-2009, 11:28 AM
1. This is definitely going to cause controversy, I bet the Daily Fail will go mad about the government designating a 'Muslim Quarter'. I mean, giving Muslims facilities for the Olympics too, that just isn't Britishness! :D

2. This is going to be a big boon for Tabligis. I wish Dawat-e-Islami or some other group would do things like this in the UK, but they won't, firsty because they don't want to get into politics and secondly because DI isn't popular enough in the UK yet, despite being big business in Pakistan. I bet nobody on these boards has heard about them even. Until we start providing more English and less Pakistan-based stuff, it will be the TJs that dominate dawa in Britain.
:w:

Dawud_uk
01-16-2009, 11:34 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Fishman
1. This is definitely going to cause controversy, I bet the Daily Fail will go mad about the government designating a 'Muslim Quarter'. I mean, giving Muslims facilities for the Olympics too, that just isn't Britishness! :D

2. This is going to be a big boon for Tabligis. I wish Dawat-e-Islami or some other group would do things like this in the UK, but they won't, firsty because they don't want to get into politics and secondly because DI isn't popular enough in the UK yet, despite being big business in Pakistan. I bet nobody on these boards has heard about them even. Until we start providing more English and less Pakistan-based stuff, it will be the TJs that dominate dawa in Britain.
they are the brailwee version of the TJ, sat in a few of their gatherings a few years ago when i didnt know much about islam.

like all brailwee's though they've got BIG issues in matters of aqeedah and innovations.

S1aveofA11ah
01-16-2009, 05:54 PM
In and of itself it is obviously a good thing but what I think the UK needs is more smaller mosques dotted about the country. Many small towns don't even have a mosque!. Anyone else agree?.

Fishman
01-17-2009, 10:41 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by S1aveofA11ah
In and of itself it is obviously a good thing but what I think the UK needs is more smaller mosques dotted about the country. Many small towns don't even have a mosque!. Anyone else agree?.
Lots of small towns don't have any Muslims though.

NobleMuslimUK
01-18-2009, 08:13 AM
The tabligi jamaat are also known as deobandis, because this group was founded by Maulana Zakriya from the city of Deoband in india, similarly the brelwi group was founded by Ahmed Raza khan who was also from india a city named Barelli, these two groups have deep issues against each other. They are both hanafi by madhab and fiqh.

A few points on topic, brothers and sisters where is it specified in quran and sunnah that a mosque must have a dome and minorets like is so vastly popular design for mosques around the world, I can understand back in the days having domes and minorets as they had no speakers or mics for adhan.
Also I do oppose this idea of a tourist site mosque, this is a sign of judgement day. I have been to Faisal mosque in Islamabad, its a huge mosque and has a nice design, its a tourist site, free mixing goes on and Wallahi when maghrib adhan was given only 3-4 rows were full majority of the people carried on with their picture taking and free mixing and leisure.
£100 million for a mosque thats disgusting, just so that a certain group can boast they have the biggest mosque in europe, a headquarter in London.

aadil77
01-18-2009, 11:19 AM
I don't think this mosque plan is going forward, Anyone heard anything about it?

AabiruSabeel
01-24-2009, 05:10 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by aadil77
I don't think this mosque plan is going forward, Anyone heard anything about it?

They might build a Masjid (and a madrasa), but its not going to be the Markaz...

-------

Taking tea with the Tablighi Jama’at

By Jenny Taylor

I realized quite suddenly that I was in love with India. It had been building up, from admittedly inauspicious beginnings. The suffocating yellow dust of Delhi, the huddled poor in filthy rags sitting by miserable little fires on every patch of waste ground; the scabby dogs and dying puppies; the way nothing ever seems to be finished off, or final; the traffic that careens crazily along pitted highways; the way no one, literally no one, can drive in a straight line, or give way. Yet in twenty years, India has changed. Once you get tuned in, it dawns on you that India is doing what I once thought beyond imagining: changing for the better. The slums are not as big as they were. People actually queue for things, rather than simply barge past you to reach their objective. There is a Metro that is clean, efficient and safe (all bags are searched politely and thoroughly, with a booth for women). Poverty may be all around, but the mental illness one might assume it would cause is no greater per head of the population than in UK, where incomes are seventy times higher. Even the cycle rickshaw wallah, a village escapee, peddles his creaking load with gusto, mopping his brow triumphantly with the rag he wears around his head, and grinning as if he had just won the marathon.

I am leaving after six weeks travelling all over the country, from the Dalai Lama’s mountain home-in-exile in the northwest, to the jungles of Orissa in the central south east. And what I will miss is the human contact, the kindness, the strangely intimate comradeship of a shared struggle, the belief everyone has in the national project. The humility of the Delhiwallah is astonishing and redemptive. He gets on with his lot, however meagre, with a strange resolve. I will miss the way catastrophe is so often averted right at the last minute, when all seemed hopeless, by people who ultimately look out for each other. I love the way, even if catastrophe does strike, people just get going again: the 126 people who were knocked off the roof of a train by overhanging branches in Andra Pradesh, will get back on their feet and back on some other train roof despite the three deaths, because that’s what you do with no money, and a need to travel. And no one has it in them to deny at least hope to the poor.

I love the all-night sound of the community’s chowkidar, the night watchman, banging his sticks and blowing his little whistle as an ‘all’s well’ that lulls me to sleep. I’ll miss the monkey man who beats his drum down our street for a penny. I’ll miss the love-starved, half-feral puppies on every garbage heap who go weak and fall into your hands if you so much as stroke them. The cows that wander past my suburban balcony, munching the shrubbery; and the pregnant cows that just get on and give birth in the middle of the traffic. I’ll even miss the cowpats on the sidewalks – because of what it represents. India hates boundaries, endings, things that belong here and not there. The sacred is co-existent with the secular and everyone is deeply religious. Sikh men chant the guru’s book together in a circle in the park in the early morning as they do their exercises. The best restaurant in town is in the same filthy alley as the biggest Muslim prayer hall. Anyone can wander into the famous Jama Masjid and photograph the up-ended bottoms of the faithful at dusk. Everything is mixed up with everything else and almost anything is possible.

History is never history in Delhi; the past lives on with the present, as William Dalrymple has so poignantly observed in City of Djinns. Nonetheless change is coming. MacDonalds sells tikka-burgers and fries, and as our populations merge, it could be Wood Green. The old mission station in Diptipur, west Orissa has a red-and-white Vodaphone mast towering over it. A self-made entrepreneur from a severely deprived village background is building a whole new futuristic suburb in Bhubaneshwar on a bank loan – and educating 7,000 tribal children on the strength of it. Someone else is developing a vaccine for salmonella.

The TJ markaz or HQ in NizamuddinBut my love affair with India became official the evening I took tea with the Tablighi Jama’at. They’re the other-worldly Islamic missionary sect whose markaz or international headquarters is in the teeming old basti or slum of Nizamuddin. The name means ‘preaching party’. They are expected to devote up to 80per cent of their lives travelling from mosque to mosque, evangelising the disciplines of reformist Islam, renewing the faithful in preparation for the life hereafter.

Totally unannounced, and with a brazenness that staggered even me, I wandered uninvited through the open gateway and asked for an interview with Maulana Saad, the great grandson of the founder Maulana Muhammad Ilyas. The alarming reputation of this sect in Britain had daunted me, and I had needed all the professional courage and personal faith I could muster to surmount the threshold. But as I had no phone number, and I was leaving Delhi within two days, it was do, or die.

The TJ is said to have 80 million followers around the world and wants to build a so-called megamosque in Newham, east London. A combination of factors has caused increasingly alarm in Britain about the Tabligh.

Medieval poverty surrounds the TJ HQ in DelhiWhat I wanted to know was why they were building a new ‘global headquarters’ – as it’s been called - in London, presumably moving from their historic location in Nizamuddin that, with its surrounding tombs of poets and warrior kings, reeks of a peculiarly Indian Islam whose Mughal heritage fascinated the British for centuries. Surely we need to understand the cultures that shaped our migrants if we are to have any meaningful relationship with them? What can a dislocated Dewsbury or Newham kind of Islam do for us, with all its huffing and puffing about equality and its justified or unjustified taint of terrorism? Would not a rekindled sense of Indian Islam’s continuity with the complex couplets of the nineteenth-century Mughal poet Ghalib who lived nearby, and the architectural achievements of Humayun whose bones lie entombed a hundred yards from the TJ markaz, help us a hundred times more? Would not an understanding of the Hindu persecutions of the Meo tribe, the first Tabligh converts, put things in a helpful new perspective?

So there I was, without a word of Urdu, with only two names on a piece of paper gleaned from Wikkipedia, and a mobile phone if I got abducted or worse. A fine-boned young man in a startling white turban waved me in and on – and I found myself standing next to a shrieking green parrot in the homely hallway of Maulana Saad’s family, being looked at silently by several females of varying shapes and sizes, all draped in shawls or burqas, who must have thought I was some kind of apparition.

But undaunted, the lovely bespectacled woman who turned out to be Mrs Saad bade me remove my shoes and come in – to what turned out to be the zenana, the women’s quarter of the large and spacious house at the side of the huge concrete complex. Muslims who want to get closer to God in prayer come here from all over the world, to be taught by the descendants of one of the leading Islamic reformers of his day. The TJ was the most enduring of the many reform movements that sprang up in response to the Hindu shuddhi or purification movement from 1875 onwards. The Arya Samaj had alarmed Muslims by its success at ‘re-converting’ nominal Muslim tribals to the so-called ‘mother religion’ of India, when numbers became a political issue after the British introduced a religion census in 1871. TJ is avowedly a-political. It longs for heaven, and anticipates victory for Allah, but all bets are on it happening in the hereafter, not now in India or Pakistan – or Newham.

'Other-wordly'?As I sat cross-legged on floor cushions, a young woman in several layers of black and a nose stud joined me, and we quizzed one another in halting English. I showed her the photos of my half-Indian nieces, assuring her their father was Muslim, even though I was not. They brought me fruit juice, almonds, cashew nuts, dates from Medina and tiny yellow sultanas. Then they brought me sweet chai with hot milk in little stainless steel teapots on a tray. After piecing together who I was, and what I wanted, Mrs Saad, with great simplicity, once more ushered me forward, this time to sit adjacent a door kept just ajar enough for me to be addressed by two bearded men, whom I knew instinctively I should not turn and look at. For as TJ Mufti Bulandshahri says: ‘Women should not come before strangers. They may give to strangers a short reply to their questions from behind a screen.’

Thus protected from certain danger, there began the most extraordinary conversation. My interlocutor told me he was none other than Professor Sana’a Suhan, the famous statistician from Aligarh University, who did his PhD at the Sorbonne in France. His answers to my questions were subtle, thoughtful and interesting. But on one thing he was absolutely adamant. He repeated it in different ways throughout the 15-minute encounter as if there were already considerable debate going on about it within the establishment. There will be no markaz in London. It will just be a mosque, and possibly a school, to cater for the number of Muslims who want the training and cannot get to Delhi. ‘Personally, for me, they should construct a mosque according to the need of that area and whosoever says this is a markaz should never tell it like this. Maulana Sa’ad does not agree with this idea so whosoever says it is a markaz you may freely tell: “I have been to Nizamuddin and there is no markaz.”

Then he says it again. ‘This is simply the idea of some enthusiastic people that this is a markaz.’

And again. ‘These are not sincere people who name it a markaz. It should be named a masjid [mosque] and that’s all.’

I put to him local concerns about cohesion and integration caused by a 12,000 capacity building and he says: ‘This is for the government in England. They have to see whether there is a need for such a big mosque.’

He said that Nizamuddin was the pioneer mosque, the ‘markaz of the whole world’ – but not a place where global strategy was worked out. It was a place of prayer, and a place to learn more about prayer.

As if to address my unspoken concerns about the hijacking of an other-worldly movement by those with a more secular agenda, he added: ‘Prayer is a pivotal worship in Islam around which the whole of Islam revolves. If a Muslim is not performing the prayer in such a way as to build the Islamic character, he may claim to be Islamic - as more than 50 per cent Muslims claim - but if they don’t perform the prayer, then they are not.’

Then, abruptly, he was gone, back to his praying. And he took my card so I could be followed up by a tabligh, a preacher, in Britain, who could give me some books.

Then the women came and enfolded me in shawls for the evening prayer and Qur’an recitation, spoken with hands cupped to heaven, and amin whispered again and again in response to the words intoned by Sa’ad himself over the loudspeakers built into the walls of the zenana. Asma said she could not do the Qur’an reading because she had her period. Neither could she pray the salaat.

Before I could go into that delicate subject, it was time to go. But not before the gentle Mrs Saad had loaded me with gifts: a huge box of dates from Medina; several large books on tabligh; and most incongruous of all, a large bottle of Cartier Déclaration eau de toilette.

We kissed one another goodbye.

And that’s when I knew my love affair with India was for real.

Source

Trumble
01-24-2009, 12:32 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by S1aveofA11ah
It makes sense to me, except where there are no muslims, of course. I just don't see what would happen to this big one after the Olympics. If people started attending it regularly, wouldn't that mean that many smaller mosques, certainly nearby, might have to close simply because there are not enough worshippers? That would be a disaster for local communities, surely?

aadil77
01-24-2009, 08:07 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Trumble
It makes sense to me, except where there are no muslims, of course. I just don't see what would happen to this big one after the Olympics. If people started attending it regularly, wouldn't that mean that many smaller mosques, certainly nearby, might have to close simply because there are not enough worshippers? That would be a disaster for local communities, surely?
Yep, not a good long term idea, it will have too much maintenance costs that will need loads of donations to survive

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.