/* */

PDA

View Full Version : How to encourage younger Siblings to READ?

shudnt_have
02-24-2006, 06:50 PM
:sl:
I might sound like a yapping an old cranky granny telling the youn'ins to read and read more..But my advices are barely noted..makes me frustrated.

Some say, As Rasullahu sallawalle wasalaams spoke less and taught more by being an example. I have tried that. I read before I go to sleep, in the living room..so my younger siblings will pick up on it..

I havent seen improvements, yet I am being patient..

Please share some of your ways, to encourage lil kids to read more often and make their learning fun..

I have taken them to library..choose book for them...bought books for them..
I dont see a solution..

:w:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Laaibah
02-25-2006, 02:06 AM
books with "more" and "interesting" pictures could help i guess....

i dunno :D

:rose:

hidaayah
02-25-2006, 02:17 AM
Maybe u can talk about a book and how exciting and terrific it is, when everyone is sitting together, and tell them some of the story, create a suspense for them so they read ahead...
wassalam

Muezzin
02-25-2006, 06:40 PM
How old are your siblings?

They might be too young to really want to read very much - however, that might make them the perfect age to be read to. :)

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Munda Pakistani
02-25-2006, 06:51 PM
Two words.

Harry Potter. :)

shudnt_have
02-28-2006, 09:00 PM
Books with Pictures..Heck I got my nine year old, " a fairy tale book with colourful pixs, she said she loved it. Then she stopped reading.

They are 9 and 12 years old.

I read to my nine year old, while the twelve year old is too busy with his PS2.

I will try Harry Porter.:)

The Ruler
02-28-2006, 09:55 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by shudnt_have
in the living room..so my younger siblings will pick up on it..

u vnt cn improvments n u neva will....:happy:

trust me...i no...it happens evryday....ma mom tells me to bhave well wid ma sistas so dat dey respect me, but i tried it for 1 whole month....but gues wat...NO CHANGE!!

so i went bak to ma old routine ;D n readin!!! lol...ma sis wudnt go near a buk...she says librarys da most borrrin eva place!....wer as i actually luv being in a library....:statisfie

Anette
02-28-2006, 10:31 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by shudnt_have
I might sound like a yapping an old cranky granny telling the youn'ins to read and read more..But my advices are barely noted..makes me frustrated.

Some say, As Rasullahu sallawalle wasalaams spoke less and taught more by being an example. I have tried that. I read before I go to sleep, in the living room..so my younger siblings will pick up on it..

Please share some of your ways, to encourage lil kids to read more often and make their learning fun..

I have taken them to library..choose book for them...bought books for them..
I dont see a solution..

If it was your own children I would have told you to try to get them to read as much as they playing PS2. Telling them that for every hour reading there will be one hour playing can do this.

The reading is very good for the development of language skills. It might be more important then we know today.

In your case why not reading to them? Children usually like someone reading to them even if they are not reading much by them selves.

Keep up your motivation work :)

Nawal89
03-01-2006, 01:51 PM
maybe find out what their interests are.. like for example if one of them loves horses, buy books about horses to encourage them to learn more about them..And when they ask a question ask them to read and find out rather than telling them.

The Ruler
03-01-2006, 07:52 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Anette
In your case why not reading to them? Children usually like someone reading to them even if they are not reading much by them selves.
yeh n get sore throat...:rollseyes ;D

format_quote Originally Posted by Nawal89
maybe find out what their interests are.. like for example if one of them loves horses, buy books about horses to encourage them to learn more about them..And when they ask a question ask them to read and find out rather than telling them.
dont u fink dat da kids mite say...if u dont tell me den 4get it....or books r jus soooo borrin ill v a luk on da net usin google ;D :rollseyes

nihma333
03-01-2006, 08:08 PM
Read to them first, so that they love it (wierd voices and a lil acting helps :))...and then give them incentives to read. Then they will begin to naturally love reading, inshallah.

peace,
Naimah

The Ruler
03-01-2006, 08:10 PM
^^ wat if dey jus sit der yawnin n cant wait 4 u to finish :?

Safa
03-01-2006, 08:16 PM
In your case why not reading to them? Children usually like someone reading to them even if they are not reading much
I've tried that and it didn't seem to work becaue it doesn't encourage them to read on their own, they'd just want you to read to them.

It might depend on the kid, I guess. Introduce them to the kind of books they might be interested in. Giving incentives is not bad idea either.

Nawal89
03-01-2006, 08:18 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Tagrid

stop being so negative. All those tips the people mentioned actually do work you know.

The Ruler
03-01-2006, 08:23 PM
im sorry :statisfie :statisfie :statisfie i reallly am....i gues i was just being stupid :heated:

nihma333
03-02-2006, 01:11 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Tagrid

Umm if that's the case then that's a very sadd situation. I don't see how a child wouldn't enjoy a well read story.:?
peace,
Naimah

shudnt_have
03-02-2006, 03:58 PM
Salaams,

Every year, I feel there is a greater need for them to start reading. My younger sister is a terrible speller and my younger brother has little interest in studying anything at all. Are they going through some sort of childhood stage which I am totally unaware of? or perhaps I missed in it Psy's Class?:grumbling .

Last year during the summer, I tried the bribing method of taking them to Mcdonalds at the end of the week. [lasted only a week.]
While I got my sister, the pony books and got my brother the horror books. [I realized they both love these types of books]

whatever happens, I know my poor approaches needs a lot of work...

and Yes I am trying..:snores:: I am concerned for being a terrible elder sister.:hiding:

samina1
03-02-2006, 05:08 PM
if i only had any younger siblings.. IM DA ONLY 1.. ALHUMDOLIAH.. ONLY ALLAH SHOWED ME MY WAYS...

\MA SALAM

03-02-2006, 05:49 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Munda Pakistani
Two words.

Harry Potter. :)

That's the best advice i've heard in 5 years (wen my elder sis adviced me to read harry potter :rollseyes ) needless to say i read any book i got my hands on now. :thankyou:

jameelash
03-02-2006, 06:42 PM
salam- read them stories preferably with stories.when the stories are in the climax leave in pretance of some work.they will come behind u.gradually they will start reading:thankyou: :thumbs_up

jameelash
03-02-2006, 06:43 PM
salam- read them stories preferably with stories.when the stories are in the climax leave in pretance of some work.they will come behind u.gradually they will start reading :thumbs_up

03-04-2006, 05:36 PM
^ that's good advice.

my sis did tht to me with harry potter :D

smile
03-09-2006, 07:18 PM
get a interesting book
sometining to do with stuff they like

shudnt_have
03-11-2006, 06:58 AM
I will spent my little investment over them, I have ordered some Islamic Book for them for their bedtime stories. I have to wait and see if this approach will work inshallah.

jazaks for the advice everyone.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.