/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Young muslim in an infidels world..

anonymous
02-25-2006, 03:44 AM
Hi,
My name is Kamal. I am new here. Please be nice! I am 16 years old. I live in a mostly non-muslim area. The kids at school pick on me and call me names. Over the last few weeks it has gotten worse. They have printed out pictures of those vile cartoons and pasted them to my school locker. I have told the teachers but they mostly dismiss it as harmless. I dont know what to do. Does anyone have any ideas on what I should do?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Takumi
02-25-2006, 03:51 AM
Hi Kamal,

You might want to contact your local Islamic Center or Muslim Student's Association at a University near you and ask for help.

They can either organize an open house at your local masjid and invite your teachers or your friends and do a presentation about the Prophet.

Or they can pay your teachers and principal a visit and they can explain to the staff how this issue is really disturbing you and not conducive to your learning and social growth at your school.

School should be a safe place for any kind of abuse. If it fails to do that, then the basic function of a school to educate has failed.

Good luck!

marcodelnizio
02-25-2006, 09:19 AM
hey man, you should definately ask for help from local islamic center, but it seems that u live somewhere where there are no muslims, so u should tell the dean and even the police. An please, i understand ur anger, but using "infedel' is a strong word that gives a bad image about islam, christians and jews are not called "infedels", as they are people of the book.

Umar001
02-25-2006, 09:32 AM
In honesty, I do not know what to tell you to do.

but something similar but not in college jus happend to me the other day, although I was abit annoyed and angry I am not thankful that Almighty God allowed this to happen, showed me humility and made me see how easy my life is compared to some of the first Muslims and how thankful I should really be.

thats not really anything to stop the problem but thinking about things like this helped me.

peace be with ya

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
F.Y.
02-25-2006, 10:13 AM
salaam
i know how alone you must feel. I live in an area where muslims are really a minority. It is a relief to even see one muslim walking about - so you ask for their home address so you can meet up and have some company with which you feel comfortable.

I suggest you report this in writing to your principal. If you write a letter, it is more official. If the principle doesnt take notice, go one step higher and inform a discrimination office in your city/town. In the meantime, remember what the Prophet Muhammad used to go through - people used to stone him till he bled and said all sorts of vile and disrespectful things. Read up on these stories and see how he reacted. The students are likely to be very ignorant. You should react calmly and in a dignified manner - show them that muslims are not how they are protrayed (as jumpy bloodthirsty criminals) on TV. You know you are on the Truth - keep repeating 'innalillahi wa inna ilayhi raajioon' - this is what you pray when you need patience.

If the students talk to you and abuse you verablly, dont respond. Just say, 'Look man,. i dont want any trouble. We're all cool here. We dont need any of this. Come on man, if you wanna know about my religion, lets ahve a chat. Youre welcome to that. Peace man." Finish. You need any more support, let me know. PM me - so it comes directly to my email box.

Peace

Safa
02-25-2006, 02:17 PM
:sl:

You should go and talk about this to the principal, guidance counselor, anyone of authority and let them know that this is bothering you. Bring your parents in if you have to.

Those students are acting out of ignorance and you should be patient because they'll stop eventually and forget about it. But you still should take action by reporting this as to let everyone know that they have the wrong impression of Muslims.

:w:

muslimahh
02-25-2006, 03:55 PM
'lil bro,

if the talks with the school go nowhere or are brushed off you can also talk to
CAIR - in the U.S. (Council on American Islamic Relations)
http://www.cair-net.org/
and CAIR-CAN - if you're in Canada (Canadian version)
http://www.caircan.ca/

Im not sure if theres an equivalent in the Europe if tahts where you live.
and they will personally contact the school on your behalf (of course you'd have to talk to the principle etc. about this beforehand)

Lush
02-26-2006, 03:43 AM
If you're in the U.S., call the ACLU. They'll help you out.

sumay28
02-26-2006, 10:40 AM
I say, just be patient. Patience is key. You have the right, as a muslim, to take action. However, realize, that it can and will get worse. Not by taking action, but just in general. Knowing the truth ain't easy. The most important thing is to use those things as something to increase your iman.

Pinkie
03-02-2006, 11:00 PM
:sl: Kamal.

I suggest going to Islamicfinder.org and try to find the closest masjid near you. It might be in another city/town but at least get the phone number and other contact information. I strongly advise you keeping in touch with any Muslim brothers who lives in a near by location. You guys have to watch out for each other.

czgibson
03-02-2006, 11:06 PM
Greetings,

That's utterly outrageous treatment that you shouldn't have to put up with. Which country are you in? If you're in the UK try contacting your Local Education Authority. They have a duty to ensure that discrimination of the kind you're describing does not take place, and they will get heavy with the school if your teachers are allowing it to happen.

Peace

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.