/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here into yoga???

Lush
02-26-2006, 06:49 AM
Ok... In recent months, I've become a total yoga fanatic. The funny thing is, I started going with a couple of friends of mine who just dragged me to the free yoga classes at the university gym. One of them is a hijabi American Salafi sister.

The funny thing was, both of my friends rarely go anymore, but I am hooked now! It has helped me get into shape and gain some peace of mind.

Am I the only yoga fan on this board? :)

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Wahid
02-26-2006, 12:24 PM
i used to
i meditated 2 times a day lol
but not so much anymore(if any)

S_87
02-26-2006, 02:46 PM
:sl:

not really cos i read it originates from hindu worship? so i thought hmmm :-\

Lush
02-26-2006, 08:07 PM
I think that it's Buddhism. Well, a lot of modern yoga aspects do not incorporate religion into the framework of the course, so pretty much anyone can attend (like my friend the Salafi). It depends on the instructor. I actually wouldn't mind a Buddhist yoga class, sicne I am very interested in Buddhism and feel a strong affinity to it, but I'd probably have to go through the local Buddhist community rather than the gym.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
The Ruler
02-26-2006, 08:17 PM
hmmm....id like to but der rnt any around ere...although i do luv meditatin :wub:

it helps sooo much :thumbs_up

:w:

Shadow
02-26-2006, 08:25 PM
i prefer kungfu over yoga

both give u peace of mind :okay:

Snowflake
02-26-2006, 08:27 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Lush
Ok... In recent months, I've become a total yoga fanatic. The funny thing is, I started going with a couple of friends of mine who just dragged me to the free yoga classes at the university gym. One of them is a hijabi American Salafi sister.

The funny thing was, both of my friends rarely go anymore, but I am hooked now! It has helped me get into shape and gain some peace of mind.

I keep meaning to join a class. But also keep forgetting what I keep meaning to do. if you know what I mean. :giggling:

maybe you could teach us some basic postures on the thread? :)

north_malaysian
02-27-2006, 04:20 AM
Is sufism, Muslim answer for yoga? :?

Lush
02-27-2006, 06:00 AM
Oh my God, I am too much of a novice to even try to teach anyone!

But here's a good link I found:
http://www.healthandyoga.com/html/yoga/posture.html

:)

cool_jannah
02-27-2006, 06:41 AM
yoga is a waste of time :-\
I would rather meditate by praying 2 raka'a nafl salaah.
the best excercise in the world:thumbs_up

Lush
02-27-2006, 06:58 AM
Well, in terms of physical exercise, yoga is great for someone like me, who has an injured back.

I don't know if you've ever tried it, cool, but don't knock it if you haven't. :)

Snowflake
02-27-2006, 09:07 AM
Oh my God, I am too much of a novice to even try to teach anyone!

But here's a good link I found:
http://www.healthandyoga.com/html/yoga/posture.html

:)
lol, OK. Well thanks for the link all the same : )

north_malaysian
02-27-2006, 09:22 AM
I love to go to the mosque early, because there are very few people inside. Just sit there for i'tikaf. The floor was so clear, the dome was so high. I'm alone with God. No idols, no chairs, no noise just nothing...... empty. I think mosque is the most peaceful place to meditate.

P/s: Kuala Lumpur Putrajaya Mosque is not a peaceful place to i'tikaf because lots of tourists going here and there, taking pictures. Mosque should never be commercialized.:offended:

Nawal89
02-27-2006, 01:38 PM
^I agree with you. I went there, and there were people just taking pictures.. not a comfortable atmosphere.

north_malaysian
02-28-2006, 03:40 AM
Putrajaya mosque is built for tourism, i think. So sad. Lots of mosques allow visitors to visit inside, but Putrajaya mosque it's made for visitors. They dont even allow u to do tahiyyatul masjid during tour hours.:offended:

justahumane
02-28-2006, 03:17 PM
I think that it's Buddhism. Well, a lot of modern yoga aspects do not incorporate religion into the framework of the course, so pretty much anyone can attend (like my friend the Salafi). It depends on the instructor. I actually wouldn't mind a Buddhist yoga class, sicne I am very interested in Buddhism and feel a strong affinity to it, but I'd probably have to go through the local Buddhist community rather than the gym.
Sister yoga is undoubtedly hindu art of meditation, plz dont get confused. And its natural cure of most of health problems. If someone wants to take advantage of it than I dont think that he oversteps limits of his or her religion at all? coz excercise is not forbidden, and its just an excercise.

Thanks.

justahumane
02-28-2006, 03:48 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by cool_jannah
yoga is a waste of time :-\
I would rather meditate by praying 2 raka'a nafl salaah.
the best excercise in the world:thumbs_up
Brother with all respects to ur religious beliefs, I beg to say that yoga is not waste of time. It can be confirmed from milllions wordwide who have been benifitted, in terms of peace and health, by yoga. And I agree with U that praying to ALLAH is the best excercise in the world. No doubt about it.

Is sufism, Muslim answer for yoga?
No brother North Malaysian, Both are entirely different things. yoga is form of excercise, while sufism is, one can say, a hindu version of islam in Indian subcontinent.

Thanks.

Lush
02-28-2006, 05:51 PM
Hmmm... Well, I know a lot of Buddhists who are into forms of yoga... so... But I'm not sure where the origins of it are, and thank you for adding your bit! :)

Pinkie
03-01-2006, 06:20 PM

I took some yoga classes a long time ago. It's was nice and relaxing. Have you heard of Falun Dafa?

Brothers and Sisters in Islam (and in humanity too): Praying (namaz) has many health benefits, Mashallah :)

DaSangarTalib
03-01-2006, 06:21 PM
dont believe in it salat is better :)

north_malaysian
03-02-2006, 08:12 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by justahumane
Brother with all respects to ur religious beliefs, I beg to say that yoga is not waste of time. It can be confirmed from milllions wordwide who have been benifitted, in terms of peace and health, by yoga. And I agree with U that praying to ALLAH is the best excercise in the world. No doubt about it.

No brother North Malaysian, Both are entirely different things. yoga is form of excercise, while sufism is, one can say, a hindu version of islam in Indian subcontinent.

Thanks.
Sufism - hindu version of Islam?:?

I thought it's Byzantine influence. India only have Chisti order. Europe have more - Halveti, Qadiri, Bayrami, Mevlevi, Naqshabandi, Tijani, etc.:rollseyes

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.