/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Dhivehi

lyesh
02-26-2006, 12:01 PM
:sl:

I wonder if anyone here knows "dhivehi"? Its the language of our country (Maldives). But I guess no other countries use it. Just wondering whether anyone else had even heard of it!
:sister:
:w:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
DaSangarTalib
02-27-2006, 01:51 PM
no i havent heard of this language lol maybe you can teach us some words in dhivehi?? :)

jzcasejz
02-27-2006, 03:20 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Fight&Die4Allah
no i havent heard of this language lol maybe you can teach us some words in dhivehi?? :)

Never heared of it but it would be cool IF you could just teach some :rollseyes

lyesh
02-27-2006, 03:36 PM
salaam,

sure! I'd love to teach you the language! But i guess it's really a strange one. I think you all wud start laughing!

w, salaam

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
DaSangarTalib
02-27-2006, 03:55 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by jzcasejz

Never heared of it but it would be cool IF you could just teach some :rollseyes
:? :? :? :?

format_quote Originally Posted by lyesh
salaam,

sure! I'd love to teach you the language! But i guess it's really a strange one. I think you all wud start laughing!

w, salaam
no we wont just tell us the basic words Insha'Allah...:)

jzcasejz
02-27-2006, 04:00 PM

:? :? :? :?
;D Sorry my English is awful :hiding: :grumbling

What I said was that it would be cool if sis lyesh could teach us some Dhivehi (IF it was no problem). That's it basically.....don't see anything confusing about that :giggling:

And oh yeah....I wont laugh.....well not that much ;D

lyesh
02-27-2006, 04:10 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by jzcasejz

;D Sorry my English is awful :hiding: :grumbling

What I said was that it would be cool if sis lyesh could teach us some Dhivehi (IF it was no problem). That's it basically.....don't see anything confusing about that :giggling:

And oh yeah....I wont laugh.....well not that much ;D
LOL bro. Ok! I'll tell u some basic words.

How are you: Kihinehtha? (ki-hi-neh-tha)
Brother: Beybe (bey-be)
Sister: Dhaththa (Dha-th-tha)
Mother: Mamma (Mamma)
Father: Bappa (Bah-pa)
Dress: Hedhun (hedhun)
Are you going?: Dhanee tha?
Where? Konthaaku (kon-thaa-ku)

strange isn't it ;D :giggling:;D ;D

You can ask me some words! I'll tell u!:okay:

DaSangarTalib
02-27-2006, 04:17 PM
Jazaka'Allah khair my Dhaththa :)

lyesh
02-27-2006, 04:19 PM
Jazaka'Allah khair my Dhaththa :)

LOL Beybe. ;D

jzcasejz
03-02-2006, 04:35 PM

Ok! I'll tell u some basic words.
Jazakallah Khair :)

strange isn't it ;D :giggling:;D ;D
:rollseyes Strange indeed ;D lol, only jokin :giggling: it's cool :shade: :happy:

handhuvar
03-04-2006, 05:42 PM

I wonder if anyone here knows "dhivehi"? Its the language of our country (Maldives). But I guess no other countries use it. Just wondering whether anyone else had even heard of it!
:sister:
hey sisssyyy thats a cool one :)
keep up the good work :okay:

lyesh
03-05-2006, 09:27 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by handhuvar
hey sisssyyy thats a cool one :)
keep up the good work :okay:
JazkAllah!

The Ruler
03-18-2006, 08:50 PM
beybe....lol...;D ;D ;D

n kon tha ku is a lot lyk bengali :happy: its almost da same in bengali for wer :happy:

handhuvar
03-19-2006, 09:59 AM

hey laish tell them the meaning of my nick HANDHUVAR lol

:thankyou:

Attachment 1016

lyesh
03-19-2006, 01:28 PM
salaam,

LOL, hmmmm "handhuvar" is a dhivehi word, it means full moon.
Nice name isn't it?

w, salaam

The Ruler
03-19-2006, 01:31 PM
salaam,

LOL, hmmmm "handhuvar" is a dhivehi word, it means full moon.
Nice name isn't it?

w, salaam
dats a nice name :wub:...but in english it has a total different meaning...it isnt offensive thou :)

Rabi'ya
03-19-2006, 01:35 PM
full moon...half moon...total eclipse...

hmmm jaffa cakes

Rabi'ya:rose:

lyesh
03-19-2006, 01:39 PM
salaam,
jaffa cakes??? whats that sis?
and yeah, i think handhuvar also means moonlight. LOL! I'm confused with my own language!
w, salaam

Rabi'ya
03-19-2006, 02:01 PM

^^^thats jaffa cakes^^^

Rabi'ya:rose:

PS the advert for the jaffa cakes is full moon...half moon...total eclipse....lol, as they take a bite a bit of cake disappears...i found it funny...cuoldnt find any other good pics :(

lyesh
03-19-2006, 02:38 PM
LOL sis, hehe. I never tasted them. but they look good!
JazkAllah for the info!

songinwind
03-19-2006, 02:59 PM
I never knew this either...we learn something new, inshaAllah:)

Dhivehi language
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Dhivehi is an Indo-Aryan language spoken by about 300,000 people in the Republic of Maldives where it is the official language of the country and in the island of Minicoy (Maliku) in neighbouring India where it is known as Mahl. Dhivehi is thought to be a descendent of Maharashtri, one of the Prakrit languages which developed from Sanskrit. Dhivehi is closely related to Sinhala. Many languages have influenced the development of Dhivehi through the ages, Arabic being one of the main ones. Others include Sinhala, Tamil, Malayalam, Hindi, French, Persian, Portuguese, and English.

Linguists agree that Divehi is an Indo-Aryan language closely related to Sinhalese of Sri Lanka. Divehi represents the southern most Indo-Aryan language and even the southernmost Indo-European language. Together with the closely related Sinhalese, Divehi establishes a special subgroup within the Modern Indo-Aryan languages.

Mr. De Silva proposes that Divehi and Sinhalese must have branched off from a common mother language. He says that “the earliest Indic element in Maldivian (Divehi) is not so much a result of branching off from Sinhalese as a result of a simultaneous separation with Sinhalese from the Indic languages of the mainland of India”. De Silva is referring to the Dravidian influences seen in the Divehi language such as in the old place names. De Silva’s theory is supported by the legend of Prince Vijaya as told in the Mahavamsa because if this legend is to be believed, the migration of Indo-Aryan colonists to the Maldives and Sri Lanka from the mainland (India) must have taken place simultaneously. This means that Divehi and Sinhalese must be sister languages that developed from a common Prakrit.

Due to the widespread distribution of the islands, differences in pronunciation and vocabulary have developed, especially between the northern and southern atolls. People in Malé cannot understand the dialect of Addu.

Dhivehi is written using a unique script, called Thaana, written from right to left, but was formerly written in Dhives Akuru which is written from left to right. Dhives Akuru was used in all of the islands until the 1700s and the arrival of Islam, but was used in all official correspondence with Addu Atoll until the early 1900s. Also, it was used in some isolated islands and rural communities until the 1960s. Its last remaining native user died in the 1990s, and today Maldivians learn it as their second script if they learn it at all.

Inherent in the Dhivehi language is a form of elaborate class distinction expressed through three levels: The first level, the reethi bas or aadhe-vadainevvun, is used to address members of the upper class and of royal blood, but is now more often used on national radio and TV. To show respect for elders, officials and strangers the second level, labba-dhuruvun is used. Most people use the more informal third level in every day life.

There is no direct translation of the English "hello" or "good-bye" in Dhivehi. Instead, someone might greet you with a smile or the raising of the eyebrow and just ask how you are doing. Goodbyes are usually expressed by announcing that you are leaving.

English words such as Atoll (a ring of coral islands or reefs) and Doni (a vessel for inter-atoll navigation) are Anglicized forms of the Dhivehi words Atholu and Dhoni (ultimately derived from Tamil, Thoni a boat).

The literacy rate of the Maldives is very high (98%) compared to other South Asian countries. Since the 1960s English has become the medium of education in most schools although they still have Dhivehi classes, but Dhivehi is still the language used for the overall administration.

lyesh
03-20-2006, 07:05 PM
salaam,

If any one of u want to learn it I'm ready 2 teach!:okay: :okay:

songinwind
03-20-2006, 07:13 PM
salaam,

If any one of u want to learn it I'm ready 2 teach!:okay: :okay:

Sister this is really intresting, as i never heard of this before...But i need to learn arabic 1st.....than maybe take you up on this next:)

lyesh
03-20-2006, 07:23 PM
OK sis!:)

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!