/* */

PDA

View Full Version : 'Cartoons part of anti-Islam battle'

sonz
02-28-2006, 09:40 AM
AMMAN — Arab League Secretary General Amr Moussa yesterday considered the blasphemous cartoons as part of a “battle against Islam” rather than a symptom of conflict among civilisations, and urged Arab parliamentarians to put pressure on the United Nations to come up with a “strict” solution to this problem.

“I don’t think the issue pertains to an inter-civilisation conflict. We have to mention the issue in its real perspective — it is a battle against Islam,” Moussa said at the opening session of the Arab Parliamentary Union (APU) conference at the Dead Sea resort in Jordan.

“I urge you to send a message to the United Nations that it should address this issue in a strict manner in order we can deal in future with each other on bases that exclude double standards,” he added.
Moussa referred to cartoons published for the first time by the Danish newspaper Jyllands-Posten last September and since reprinted by several papers in Europe and elsewhere.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
HeiGou
02-28-2006, 11:50 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by sonz
AMMAN — Arab League Secretary General Amr Moussa yesterday considered the blasphemous cartoons as part of a “battle against Islam” rather than a symptom of conflict among civilisations, and urged Arab parliamentarians to put pressure on the United Nations to come up with a “strict” solution to this problem.
Is there any other major civilisation where this sort of paranoia would be treated as normal as opposed to laughed off the stage?

aakhirah
02-28-2006, 12:16 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by HeiGou
Is there any other major civilisation where this sort of paranoia would be treated as normal as opposed to laughed off the stage?
No, I don't think so. We Muslims are, always have been, and always will be different! I don't know what it takes the majority of non-Muslims to understand the love we have for our dear Prophet (Peace be upon him)? Someone criticizing or making a mockery of him can never be a laughing matter for any true believer, which is why you've seen the reaction around the world (in some places regrettable I must admit). Indeed it is our duty as Muslims to make a 'fuss'.

Well, after they were published in Denmark and the non-Muslims saw the reaction of the Muslims, and the fact that they regarded this as an anti-Islam battle, why did they fuel the battle further by continuing to publish them around the globe?

HeiGou
02-28-2006, 12:20 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by aakhirah
No, I don't think so. We Muslims are, always have been, and always will be different! I don't know what it takes the majority of non-Muslims to understand the love we have for our dear Prophet (Peace be upon him)? Someone criticizing him can never be a laughing matter for any true believer, which is why you've seen the reaction around the world (in some places regrettable I must admit).
It is not the upset that I was referring to, but to the view that this is all some vast conspiracy against Muslims. Do you really think there is an international cabal of Jews/Freemasons/Shape-shifting lizards from Outer Space all deciding that this is how they are going to deal with Islam? If this is the best they can come up with in the war against Islam they are one lame bunch of half-wits.

Well, after they were published in Denmark and the non-Muslims saw the reaction of the Muslims, and the fact that they regarded this as an anti-Islam battle, why did they fuel the battle further by continuing to publish them around the globe?
Because Muslims challenged Europeans where it counted - freedom of speech - and in their own countries - those cartoons were only published in Denmark after all. It is an important issue. And the Danes have every right to demand others respect their right to do whatever they want in their own homes. I do not come into your house and tell you how to arrange your furniture and what to eat. What right do you have to do that in my home?

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.