/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Wanting to produce a monthly online Islam magazine

yasin
03-04-2006, 02:39 AM
Hi everybody.

It bothers me a lot how Muslims are increasingly being portrayed negatively, simply as violent mindless thugs. This is down to several things- mainly the media being all too ready to report negative stories about Muslims and certain radical individuals that give the religion shame.

In my experiences at a college i was pleasantly surprised about how happy young Muslims are to discuss Islam. But also aware that in all cases the inspiration for discussions were from various media formats (ie news reports, newspapers etc).

I believe that an online publication freely distributed over the internet will help promote healthy discussions and awareness of Islam for Muslims and non-Muslims.

The online magazine's aims will be to:
- be a source of information about the religion of Islam
- be an unbiased Islamic current affairs source
- promote healthy awareness of Islam
- promote discussion between people about Islam
- help Muslims who feel alone in where they live feel more belonging
- be a haven for discussions from people of all races and religions
- available, accessible and understandable to teenagers and adults and everybody.

The magazine will be free and distributed thru various soucres such as websites, emails, p2p programs, torrent services etc.

It will be a professional pdf document with the ability to print as a magazine.

Articles will be written by Muslims and non-Muslims and will be moderated by me. Anybody can write an article or articles or become a resident writer for the magazine.

I urge people to help me allow this to happen, if you are blessed with any skills then you can be a great help to me. If you're a poet, a good writer, a graphics designer, know useful contacts, have good interview techniques- anything then please do contact me.

I welcome everybody to help, and also welcome all opinions or advice or ideas about this project.

Regards, Yasin

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
yasin
03-06-2006, 10:55 PM
slightly disappointing to see nobody bother to volunteer

mohakem
03-07-2006, 09:07 PM
As salamu alikum

Check out http://as-sabiqoon.com/home.html, in particular http://as-sabiqoon.com/magazine.html

They produce a relatively professional magazine, initially they were providing the magazine as a pdf.

You may find it better to join with their already up and running project.

I'm sure that you could influence the direction of the magazine somewhat, and i can only assume that if your ideas are good they would take them on board :)

Wa alikum salam

ps: there was also a muslim tech magazine, but i cant find the link ...

Snowflake
03-07-2006, 09:11 PM
:sl:
May Allah reward your intentions inshaAllah. I think you didnt receive the desired response because there's a lot of material on Islam on the internet already. It's also free and many sites already offer the same things as you wish too.Those who want to learn will come across many sources if they search. Personally I feel it's better to approach people personally, who make no effort to learn about Islam. That being people in your area etc. You can print islamic articles and distribute them locally, invite brothers to mosque to pray/listen to islamic lectures etc. There's a whole world out there waiting to be islamically conquered. I'd say go for it. Then you'd be really doing something worthwhile. InshaAllah.
:w:

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
itsme01
03-07-2006, 11:44 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muslimah_Sis
May Allah reward your intentions inshaAllah. I think you didnt receive the desired response because there's a lot of material on Islam on the internet already. It's also free and many sites already offer the same things as you wish too.Those who want to learn will come across many sources if they search. Personally I feel it's better to approach people personally, who make no effort to learn about Islam. That being people in your area etc. You can print islamic articles and distribute them locally, invite brothers to mosque to pray/listen to islamic lectures etc. There's a whole world out there waiting to be islamically conquered. I'd say go for it. Then you'd be really doing something worthwhile. InshaAllah.
:w:

I am willing to help you start this magazine - but we need more people.
I think that atleast 10 will be needed. Anyone else interested please reply or contact me: munisb@gmail.com

yasin
03-08-2006, 02:28 AM
i have 4 people interested so far including you 'itsme01' :)

could you pm me for my msn if you use it? And if it's possible for you to recruit other people too like i am too i would be most grateful.

The problem with information from the internet is that it is so diverse and depersonalised, i want a magazine that is clear and personal to all Muslims that read it, but i do take on board your comments.

yasin
03-08-2006, 03:04 AM
I have created a Yahoo Group so that members can discuss and plan the magazine together with each other. Even if you do not have a Yahoo account please do join, registration takes under a minute.

The link is - http://uk.groups.yahoo.com/group/islammagazineproject/

Regards

Re.TiReD
04-28-2006, 01:31 PM
:sl: this seems like an interesting task...and its one i would love to participate in however....do i HAVE to have a yahoo account...is there no way around it...its just that i dont want to have a yagoo account, will hotmail not do? :embarrass

please pm me to let me know how to get involved. :w: :sister:

rubiesand
04-28-2006, 09:16 PM
An existing free online islamic magazine is i-mag. See what you think of it. You download it as a PDF.

snakelegs
04-29-2006, 11:03 PM
yasin,
just want to wish you the best of luck.
anything that can help people understand each other and bring people together is most praiseworthy in my opinion.
go for it.

muslimah_here
05-17-2006, 02:16 PM
MASHALLAh SO glad to see muslims amking an effort to publsim islamic magazines that is truly lacking right now not many islamic magazines i must say and not very easily acessible, making it free ONLINE would appeal to wider audeince im sure INSHALLAH, especially for muslims like me who are livign around mulsim community. u havent said so which language ur palning to publish it in I hope INSHALLAh in english!:)

I am not sure how could help u as neither am i a poet or an aalimah, i myslef am trying each to become better muslim INSHALLAH. if I can even in some minor than I would INSHALLAh but not sure how i can.

ALLAHAFIZ.

fantaxxy_moon
05-17-2006, 02:19 PM
assalamo alaikom ...hi .. this is a very good idea .. i would like to help you with this ... do u agree ?
format_quote Originally Posted by yasin
Hi everybody.

It bothers me a lot how Muslims are increasingly being portrayed negatively, simply as violent mindless thugs. This is down to several things- mainly the media being all too ready to report negative stories about Muslims and certain radical individuals that give the religion shame.

In my experiences at a college i was pleasantly surprised about how happy young Muslims are to discuss Islam. But also aware that in all cases the inspiration for discussions were from various media formats (ie news reports, newspapers etc).

I believe that an online publication freely distributed over the internet will help promote healthy discussions and awareness of Islam for Muslims and non-Muslims.

- be a source of information about the religion of Islam
- promote healthy awareness of Islam
- promote discussion between people about Islam
- help Muslims who feel alone in where they live feel more belonging
- available, accessible and understandable to teenagers and adults and everybody.

The magazine will be free and distributed thru various soucres such as websites, emails, p2p programs, torrent services etc.

It will be a professional pdf document with the ability to print as a magazine.

Articles will be written by Muslims and non-Muslims and will be moderated by me. Anybody can write an article or articles or become a resident writer for the magazine.

I urge people to help me allow this to happen, if you are blessed with any skills then you can be a great help to me. If you're a poet, a good writer, a graphics designer, know useful contacts, have good interview techniques- anything then please do contact me.

I welcome everybody to help, and also welcome all opinions or advice or ideas about this project.

Regards, Yasin

primitivefuture
05-22-2006, 09:00 PM
Yasin, I will more than happy to join your project. Do you think we can make print copies as well so that they can be distributed?

btw, if you want, I can pay for the domain and hosting for the website.

Panatella
05-22-2006, 09:12 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by primitivefuture
Yasin, I will more than happy to join your project. Do you think we can make print copies as well so that they can be distributed?
Are you sure you really want to?
I mean, you might have to change your writing style a bit. Possibly tone it down a little to cater to the 'kafirs' that might read it. Without this 'toning down', these 'potential muslim converts' and 'knowledge seekers' would likely dismiss your writing style, and thus the entire publication. Are you really up to the challenge?

Woodrow
05-22-2006, 09:13 PM
There are some like myself who would love to be able to help, but for various reasons can only be online sporadicaly. At the moment I am having a posting spurt, but at any moment I could be without internet access for anywhere from a few days to several months.

When you do get things started, please leave the doors open so that some of us can submit articles or help in any other way, in an as available basis.

primitivefuture
05-22-2006, 09:15 PM
Print articles is a good idea IMO. There are many online Islamic magazines, and most of them are not doing well in their purpose because Westerners dont care to visit them and learn the truth.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.