/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Music Haram or Not

Z65
03-04-2006, 05:15 PM
I jus want to know if listening to music is Haram , i dont listen to bad lyrics n rock bands , i jus listen to light music :rollseyes

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Ghazi
03-04-2006, 05:16 PM
Salaam

Music is with instruments is haraam and any vocals that would lead people astrey.

Kittygyal
03-04-2006, 05:17 PM
well i fink it is not bt as av converted i'm not sure... :(

so sum1 else will explain beta i hope they do :):)

take care

Hijaabi22
03-04-2006, 05:44 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by islam-truth
Salaam

Music is with instruments is haraam and any vocals that would lead people astrey.

SO WAT BOUT NASHEEDS??? THAT HAVE GUD LYRICS, THAT HELP US TO REMEMBER ALLAH(SWT) AND HIS BELOVED PROPHET(PBUH) MORE OFTEN IN OUR DAILY LIVES, THAT HELP KEEP US AWAY FROM HARAAM, THAT ARE AN ALTERNATIVE TO LISTEN TO??? ARE THEY HARAAM??? COS THERES SO MANY VARYING VIEWS ITS LIKE WHO ARE U MEANT 2 LISTEN 2?!!!!!!:grumbling :grumbling :grumbling :grumbling

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
DaSangarTalib
03-04-2006, 05:47 PM
Music with musical instruments is haram...just listen to nasheeds instead Insha'Allah :)

Hijaabi22
03-04-2006, 05:47 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Z65
I jus want to know if listening to music is Haram , i dont listen to bad lyrics n rock bands , i jus listen to light music :rollseyes

Bruv I think lisnin to music is haraam... I used to luv my music too, always used to be pumpin it but theres so many wicked islamic alternatives you can listen to, why not try lisnin to them instead??? I mean if U want I cud recommend some gud 1z....... and theres soooooooooo many different types of islamic music available out ther....

Have you ever listened to islamic RnB/Hip Hop??? Man it rocks! Have a listen!:okay:

DaSangarTalib
03-04-2006, 05:48 PM
here's a thread where you can download some nasheeds from Insha'Allah :)

>> http://www.islamicboard.com/islamic-...ur-copy-9.html

Hijaabi22
03-04-2006, 05:53 PM
Koolo tnX bruv, [PIE][/PIE]

czgibson
03-04-2006, 05:58 PM
Greetings,

There have been long discussions about this on the forum - the basic position seems to be as islam-truth says, although disagreements exist among scholars.

Have a look at the following threads for more info:

Is Music Haraam?

Sociological Outlook on Music

Peace

cool_jannah
03-04-2006, 05:59 PM
its so uncool to listen to music man...
after i quit listening to music..i felt like i use to waste my time on such a useless and unreal thing.
its haraam to listen to music
we will listen to music Insha'Allah in Jannah....now thats cool.

Hijaabi22
03-04-2006, 06:04 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by cool_jannah
after i quit listening to music..i felt like i use to waste my time on such a useless and unreal thing.
Hmmmm me feels the same, why listen to haraam music when theres so many top islamic alternatives out there??? Altho I must admit, sumtyms I think Stuff it and next thing u know my MUSICs pumpin loud....:hiding: :hiding: :hiding:

Kittygyal
03-04-2006, 06:06 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ------------
Hmmmm me feels the same, why listen to haraam music when theres so many top islamic alternatives out there??? Altho I must admit, sumtyms I think Stuff it and next thing u know my MUSICs pumpin loud....:hiding: :hiding: :hiding:
sis u shud make ur writing a bit bigger plz if u dn't mind thanx

take care

03-04-2006, 06:16 PM
so... ur sayin tht music with instruments is haram... is that it?

abdul Majid
03-05-2006, 03:52 AM
[PIE]Volumn 007, Book 069, Hadith Number 494B.
------------------------------------------
Narated By Abu 'Amir or Abu Malik Al-Ash'ari : That he heard the Prophet saying, "From among my followers there will be some people who will consider illegal sexual intercourse, the wearing of silk, the drinking of alcoholic drinks and the use of musical instruments, as lawful. And there will be some people who will stay near the side of a mountain and in the evening their shepherd will come to them with their sheep and ask them for something, but they will say to him, 'Return to us tomorrow.' Allah will destroy them during the night and will let the mountain fall on them, and He will transform the rest of them into monkeys and pigs and they will remain so till the Day of Resurrection."[/PIE]

[PIE]
Volumn 006, Book 061, Hadith Number 568.
-----------------------------------------
Narated By Abu Musa : That the Prophet said to him' "O Abu Musa! You have been given one of the musical wind-instruments of the family of David."[/PIE]

snakelegs
03-05-2006, 04:01 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by abdul Majid
[PIE]Volumn 007, Book 069, Hadith Number 494B.
------------------------------------------
Narated By Abu 'Amir or Abu Malik Al-Ash'ari : That he heard the Prophet saying, "From among my followers there will be some people who will consider illegal sexual intercourse, the wearing of silk, the drinking of alcoholic drinks and the use of musical instruments, as lawful. And there will be some people who will stay near the side of a mountain and in the evening their shepherd will come to them with their sheep and ask them for something, but they will say to him, 'Return to us tomorrow.' Allah will destroy them during the night and will let the mountain fall on them, and He will transform the rest of them into monkeys and pigs and they will remain so till the Day of Resurrection."[/PIE]

[PIE]
Narated By Abu Musa : That the Prophet said to him' "O Abu Musa! You have been given one of the musical wind-instruments of the family of David."[/PIE]

i may be dense - but these 2 seem contradictory. the second quote shows no disapproval.

abdul Majid
03-05-2006, 04:08 AM
2nd meaning some thing of the jews !!!

and the first is veryy clear !!!

snakelegs
03-05-2006, 04:18 AM
[PIE]
Narated By Abu Musa : That the Prophet said to him' "O Abu Musa! You have been given one of the musical wind-instruments of the family of David."[/PIE][/QUOTE]

i agree - the first one is very clear. but the 2nd is not - not to me anyway. it doesn't express approval or disapproval. is he saying the musical wind instruments are forbidden because they come from the family of david?

abdul Majid
03-05-2006, 04:24 AM
Meaning it is something unislamic, coming from another faith, jewish. (wind-instruments)

(And ALLAH(swt) Knows Best)

snakelegs
03-05-2006, 04:58 AM
if the jews ate chocolate pudding, would it therefore be automatically be not allowed to muslims - just because the jews ate it?

yasin
03-05-2006, 05:08 AM

it's your personal opinion.

Music is one thing that i refuse to give up. It may be bad, it may be good i don't know.

If i am being perfectly open i take it as a hypocritical stance that some singing is allowed whilst other singing isn't.

I also don't see the logic as to why somebody playing the piano can be a sin, i know as a Muslim i should not really be questioning the logic of rules but that's who i am and its a trait that brought me to Islam.

Please respect my opinions and do not judge me as it is not your place to judge.

Mainul_Islam
03-05-2006, 05:49 AM
i gave up listening to music/songs a long time ago but i still listen to them once in a WHILE... now mostly i listen to nasheeds and Quran recitation

but i dont understand why music is HARAAM

i understand that music can control one's emotions and lead them to do bad things that songs encourages

but what about if one is bored and/or wants his mind to relax a little?

i feel that music should not go as far as being haraam

im just curious, what percentage of world Islamic scholars support music as being totally haraam

cool_jannah
03-05-2006, 06:13 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by yasin
Music is one thing that i refuse to give up. It may be bad, it may be good i don't know.
Brother, Alhamdulillah its very good that you have entered into Islam and saved yourself from Jahannam. Allah Subhanahu wa Ta'alaa says that when you enter Islam, you enter into it completely. When you submit your will to Allah, you cant pick and choose what you like for yourself. If Allah says its something Haraam for you in this duniya, then Alahmdulillah that is the truth. This is the beauty of Islam. If you feel something is very soothing for your soul(which is something i disagree to when it comes to music), and you have a liking for that particular thing, if you sacrifice that for the sake of Allah, trust me that is one of the best things you can do for the sake of Allah.
It is not good for your Imaan to disobey Allah when you know something is Haraam.
format_quote Originally Posted by yasin
If i am being perfectly open i take it as a hypocritical stance that some singing is allowed whilst other singing isn't.

I also don't see the logic as to why somebody playing the piano can be a sin, i know as a Muslim i should not really be questioning the logic of rules but that's who i am and its a trait that brought me to Islam.
Mashallah, we need to make our intentions right brother. We are not here in this duniya to please ourselves, we are here to please Allah. With all the bounties that Allah has given us, we cant even do a small sacrifice? and for how long are we going to listen to music? 70? 80? 90? years....dear brother..the life in the Aakhiraa will be forever...comparing that to this small life and enjoying for this short while is not worth while if God forbid we end in the fire of Jahannam. and ...Subhanallah...we will have music in Jannah..we should hope for that.
This is the real test that many Muslims fail to understand. Unless we sacrifice something we really love, for the sake of Allah, we can never get the true taste of Imaan and belief in our Rab, Subhanhu wa T'alaa. Otherwise if we were good by default in nature..there would have been no logic of having all that we know of about Jannah, Jahannam, Afterlife and so on....

Its the effort we put in...so that we can atleast say that Ya Allah we tried our best to please you...but we failed. This is the sirrat al mustaqeem we want to be on....our sole purpose of existence is to please Allah and recognize His greatness. Our priorities should be the orders of Allah rather than our desires. We are ordered to sacrifice our time, wealth, health, knowledge and if necessary even our lives for the sake of Allah....what is the status of music then?
there are clear Hadeeth about the evils of music and the harm it can cause to people. our logic might work in a different way though. and I swear by Allah and it is my own personal experience that music is the most unreal thing in the world. it is really a big fitnah that takes us away from the rememberance of Allah.

cool_jannah
03-05-2006, 06:31 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Mainul_Islam
i gave up listening to music/songs a long time ago but i still listen to them once in a WHILE... now mostly i listen to nasheeds and Quran recitation
Mashallah thats very good..except that you still listen to music. trust me man its a real unsmart thing to do

but i dont understand why music is HARAAM

i understand that music can control one's emotions and lead them to do bad things that songs encourages

but what about if one is bored and/or wants his mind to relax a little?
Music is Haraam because its Allah's order upon His servants. I dont think you should have problem with that. If you do..then you should repent sincerely and say 'LAA ILAAH ILLALLAH MUHAMMADAR RASOOLALLAH' again..and this time with full sinceretiy and proper intention. When you say the kalima, you are submitting your will to Allah. So even if you dont understand the logic in some of the rules of Shari'a, you are bound to obey it...you dont need proofs and resoning to make yourself clearer. Haraam is Haraam brother...why dont you to listen to something good other than music when you are bored. Its like saying 'whats the logic in not drinking liquor when there are so many benifits in it?'

i feel that music should not go as far as being haraam?
Mashallah...you want to change the rule of Sharia of Islam. Allah subhanhu wa t'aala hates what is haraam. and haraam can never become halal in this world.

im just curious, what percentage of world Islamic scholars support music as being totally haraam
you will surely find muftis and scholars giving fatwa in favor of listening to music. if you want to shop for fatwas my friend, you can definitely do that. but Subhanallah never has been a fatwa given that Music is Halal in Islam by a reasonably knowledgable scholar in the history of Islam as far as I know. but the way things are going on..i wont be surprised if a corrupt Islamic scholar would pass that ruling to please himself and his desires.

snakelegs
03-05-2006, 06:38 AM
But qwali music also involves musical instruments right ? :rollseyes
Can u pls give links to Islamic Hip-hop n R&B :)
check out this article on an iranian rapper for islam

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/world...723906,00.html

nurul3eyn
03-05-2006, 08:15 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Fight&Die4Allah
Music with musical instruments is haram...just listen to nasheeds instead Insha'Allah :)
:sl:
but bro some of the nasheedas have music in it(i mean they play musical instruments):hmm: is't haram too :hmm:
:w:

Mainul_Islam
03-05-2006, 08:37 AM
:sl: :brother: cool_jannah

i have given up listening to music just to be safe, but cant give up 100% because i still have doubt on whether its haraam or not

i do not want to change the Shariah but i do not want to accept things blindly either. if a non-Muslim asks about some aspect of Islam such as why we fast and why is pork forbidden and why stoning is permissible, i can explain to them. but if they ask me why all music is haraam, i will not be able to say anything but "they just are" and not give a reason...

Z65
03-05-2006, 09:11 AM
Brothers thank u fr ur help , am gonna try n give up listening 2 music , pls pray fr me cause its gonna be very hard , PLs do give me other better options,

Hijaabi22
03-05-2006, 11:31 AM

CHECK DEZE DUDES OUT:

Soldiers Of Allah
Outlandish
Blakstone
Native Deen

Dey are all awesome!! Jus type up in google and sumat shud cum up, enjo-oy!!:okay: :okay:

Hijaabi22
03-05-2006, 11:37 AM
Brothers thank u fr ur help , am gonna try n give up listening 2 music , pls pray fr me cause its gonna be very hard , PLs do give me other better options,
Bro TRUST ME....I was THE BIGGEST MUSIC FAN EVER!!! ......... Unitil I went to a nasheed concert one day, man it was jus soooooooooooooo amaaaaaaaaazin!!!! I tell ya!!! Wow! Was jus top man!!! I saw all deze wicked nasheed artists like SAMI YUSUF, SHAAM, SHAHID ALKAWN(Man dis dude rocks!), KHALEEL MUHAMMED and loooooads others, was jus a fab nyt man!! After that I cut down on my music and Im so in2 my nasheeds, thats all I listen to nowadays.... Gotta admit it was a bit hard at first especially when you got siblings who are pumpin the music 24/7 but jus hav a listen to sum of these artists I mentioned and believe me Ull be shocked at what you bin missin out on...... I gotta admit there are Tyms when I turn on the telly and next thing U know im waatchin MTV or B4U or sum crap like that but even if U cut down on the music even thats a start..so jus take it step by step bruv and U may get there in the end inshaAllah....GUD LUK!:okay: :okay: :)

Hijaabi22
03-05-2006, 11:40 AM
Qawalli music???:grumbling :grumbling :grumbling

SOOOOOOOOOO NOT MY THING!!!:rollseyes :rollseyes :giggling:

And yeah they do use loooooooooooaaaaaaadza music!! But me never heard any1 complain about that .but oh no, when it cums to nasheeds.....they all haraam!!! Hows dat work?!!:? :? :? :rollseyes :rollseyes

Ghazi
03-05-2006, 11:43 AM
Salaam

Sahih Bukhari, No. 5226.
Abu'Amir or Abu Malik Al-Ash'ari: he heard the Prophet (SallAllahu alayhi wa Sallam) saying: From among my followers there will be some people who will consider illegal sexual intercouse, the wearing of silk, the drinking, of alcohlic drinks and the use of musical instruments, as lawful.

Sahih Muslim, No 5279.
Abu Hurair reported Allaah's Messenger (SallAllahu alayhi wa Sallam) as saying: The bell is the Musical Instrument of Satan.

czgibson
03-05-2006, 01:42 PM
Greetings,

It's interesting for an outsider that the only reason that has been given so far for music being haraam is that 'Allah said so'. No-one really seems to have any idea of what is actually wrong with music - probably because the answer is 'nothing at all'...

Peace

Ghazi
03-05-2006, 01:44 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by czgibson
Greetings,

It's interesting for an outsider that the only reason that has been given so far for music being haraam is that 'Allah said so'. No-one really seems to have any idea of what is actually wrong with music - probably because the answer is 'nothing at all'...

Peace
Salaam

'Allah said so' that's all any muslim needs to know

Kittygyal
03-05-2006, 01:48 PM
but y is it not allowed even calm music (wich i dn't listn to)

wots wrng wiv listnin to it?

take care

afriend
03-05-2006, 01:49 PM
Salaam

true.

The followers of Muhammad were asked to wash their hands before eating..

They never questionned why.

But now we know that we wash our hands to wash away all the dirt.

Also, music is an addiction, once i listenned to music, i was hooked on it, and i always wanted to listen to music everywhere and all the time.

Also, i found myself having terrible hearing problems.

czgibson
03-05-2006, 01:51 PM
Greetings,
Salaam

Well fine. If you're happy with that attitude you'll never need to bother thinking about anything ever again! It's all been done for you.

Peace

The Ruler
03-05-2006, 01:52 PM
wat if ur not addicted...but jus like to lisen t it? :confused: :?

Kittygyal
03-05-2006, 01:52 PM
well i don't undastand y we can't and wot's wrng wiv it?

take care

Ghazi
03-05-2006, 01:59 PM
Salaam

Muslims are aware that nothing has been prohibited by Allah except that which is harmful to the welfare of a Muslim individual and the society as a whole. The divine attribute behind the prohibition of music can be comprehended by looking into the diverse influence music can have.

Experiments carried out by doctors and professors have confirmed that the music of today is such that it does not only affect the brain, but each and every organ of one`s body. There is a close relationship between music and bodily movements. We find that people listening to music automatically start tapping their fingers and feet, as if the music is permeating in their blood.

It is also proved that music affect`s one`s emotions, increases arousal in terms of alertness and excitement and also leads to various physiological changes in the person. In a psychology experiment, it was found that listening to moderate type of music increased one`s normal heart beat, whilst listening to rock music the heart beat increased even further, yet people claim that music has no effect.

It is a very ignorant and misguided attitude to percieve music as a form of pleasure and passing of time, since the messages of today`s music follow a general theme of love, fornication, drugs and freedom.

We find that the whole world is obsessed with the kufr idea of freedom, i.e. freedom of speech, freedom of movement, etc. In western schools and universities, we observe independence, free expression and secular thinking being encouraged. This idea of freedom, “ It`s my life, I`ll do what I want” is a predominant, underlying theme of today`s music. It is being used as a means for drilling western ideologies, which are totally contrary to Islamic Shariah and values, into the minds of Muslims.

One should abstain from evil audacities such as listening to music and encourage others to do the same too.

Ghazi
03-05-2006, 02:01 PM
Greetings,

Well fine. If you're happy with that attitude you'll never need to bother thinking about anything ever again! It's all been done for you.

Peace
Salaam

Allah has informed me of something so I'll stay away from it with the best of my ability, I don't need to ask why?, past nations have been distroyed because they asked too many questions when all they really wnated was to disobey allah and find an excuse not to obey him.

julie sarri
03-05-2006, 02:04 PM
:sl: yes music is haram all western music is becouse of the singing and the insturments used. I used to lisern to music alot but when i reverted to islam i stoped. One of the shaykh on the islam channel was saying if we lisern to music then on jugement day a metal liquid will be put into are ears pray to allah (swt ) to guide you inshaallah i did and he helped me alhaduilillah:w:

Kittygyal
03-05-2006, 02:10 PM
o.k so i fink i shud stop listenin ta 'MUSIC' NW :'( :'( :'(

TAKE CARE

Snowflake
03-05-2006, 02:11 PM
Muslims! We can go on debating issues like this til we have one foot in the grave. We know our beloved prophet (saw) lived to set an example for us. Don't you think the prophet could've lived like a king if he wished? Why didn't he? Because that would not have been a good example that wouldv'e benefited us in anyway. Now... ask yourselves this? Did you hear of the prophet listening to music? Did you hear even one verse in the Quran or one single hadith where he sat with companions having a good ol' knees-up listening to the sound of singing to musical instruments....? Did you ever hear that the prophet had invited someone to his house or went somewhere to listen to music??

Then what are we suppose to do? We're suppose to follow the prophet's example of how he lived his life. If we do this then we wouldn't need to ask if music is allowed or not. Do what the prophet did. Simple as that!

czgibson
03-05-2006, 02:14 PM
Salaam

Muslims are aware that nothing has been prohibited by Allah except that which is harmful to the welfare of a Muslim individual and the society as a whole. The divine attribute behind the prohibition of music can be comprehended by looking into the diverse influence music can have.

Experiments carried out by doctors and professors have confirmed that the music of today is such that it does not only affect the brain, but each and every organ of one`s body. There is a close relationship between music and bodily movements. We find that people listening to music automatically start tapping their fingers and feet, as if the music is permeating in their blood.

It is also proved that music affect`s one`s emotions, increases arousal in terms of alertness and excitement and also leads to various physiological changes in the person. In a psychology experiment, it was found that listening to moderate type of music increased one`s normal heart beat, whilst listening to rock music the heart beat increased even further, yet people claim that music has no effect.
Who claims that music has no effect? And what difference does it make if music does affect the body in this way?

It is a very ignorant and misguided attitude to percieve music as a form of pleasure and passing of time, since the messages of today`s music follow a general theme of love, fornication, drugs and freedom.
And we all know that love and freedom are terrible things! Save us from them O Lord!

Let's be sure that the person of distinguished intellect who wrote this diatribe knows very little about music. So little, in fact, that they feel quite happy to generalise massively with no fear of being wrong.

We find that the whole world is obsessed with the kufr idea of freedom, i.e. freedom of speech, freedom of movement, etc. In western schools and universities, we observe independence, free expression and secular thinking being encouraged. This idea of freedom, “ It`s my life, I`ll do what I want” is a predominant, underlying theme of today`s music. It is being used as a means for drilling western ideologies, which are totally contrary to Islamic Shariah and values, into the minds of Muslims.
It's amazing how these ideas of freedom have led to Western universities being the best in the world. Perhaps it might be an idea to introduce these concepts into Muslim universities - that way they might make intellectual progress and improve the quota of research scientists they produce.

One should abstain from evil audacities such as listening to music and encourage others to do the same too.
Source: http://www.inter-islam.org/Prohibitions/Mansy_music.htm

This is one of the most ludicrous articles I've ever read; if you're convinced by it then fine, but if I was going to abdicate my powers of thinking to someone else, I'd want it to be someone a bit wiser than the writer of that article.

Allah has informed me of something so I'll stay away from it with the best of my ability, I don't need to ask why?, past nations have been distroyed because they asked too many questions when all they really wnated was to disobey allah and find an excuse not to obey him.
Which nations were destroyed in this way, and how can you be sure it was because they asked too many questions? There's nothing at all wrong with asking too many questions. That's how the Western universities mentioned earlier have become so successful!

Peace

Hijaabi22
03-05-2006, 02:19 PM
Greetings,

Peace
Errrr wat attitude??? The bruv is makin a gud point, if Allah(swt) says music is haraam 2 listen 2 then music is haraam 2 listen to, simple as end of :rollseyes :rollseyes :rollseyes

Kittygyal
03-05-2006, 02:20 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muslimah_Sis
Muslims! We can go on debating issues like this til we have one foot in the grave. We know our beloved prophet (saw) lived to set an example for us. Don't you think the prophet could've lived like a king if he wished? Why didn't he? Because that would not have been a good example that wouldv'e benefited us in anyway. Now... ask yourselves this? Did you hear of the prophet listening to music? Did you hear even one verse in the Quran or one single hadith where he sat with companions having a good ol' knees-up listening to the sound of singing to musical instruments....? Did you ever hear that the prophet had invited someone to his house or went somewhere to listen to music??

Then what are we suppose to do? We're suppose to follow the prophet's example of how he lived his life. If we do this then we wouldn't need to ask if music is allowed or not. Do what the prophet did. Simple as that!

how is every1 suppose ta knw when lyk me self have converted :rant:

take care

czgibson
03-05-2006, 02:24 PM
Greetings,
Errrr wat attitude??? The bruv is makin a gud point, if Allah(swt) says music is haraam 2 listen 2 then music is haraam 2 listen to, simple as end of :rollseyes :rollseyes :rollseyes
The attitude that says: 'if Allah says it, then I must believe it.' If you submit to authority so readily, then you have effectively surrendered your powers of thought to another. There is no need for you to think for yourself anymore.

I can't imagine anything worse, frankly.

Peace

Snowflake
03-05-2006, 02:25 PM
edit>

Kittygyal
03-05-2006, 02:26 PM
^So? Do you think born muslims come into the world knowing everything about islam. You will know by learning and reading about the prohet..just like the rest of us did and are still doing.

ok chillowt sis :giggling:

take care

Snowflake
03-05-2006, 02:29 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by islamgyal

take care
Why are you angry? You are suppose to know by learning. i.e. reading and studying about the prophets (saw) life, just like we did and still are.
You don't think that born muslims came to the world knowing everything about Islam do ya? :rollseyes

Snowflake
03-05-2006, 02:31 PM
oops.. i thought my post didnt send the first time, so i did it again.. oh well never mind.. the more the merrier i suppose

czgibson
03-05-2006, 02:33 PM
Greetings,

take care
Did no-one tell you about this little rule? Did you not realise it was part of the deal?

Peace

Hijaabi22
03-05-2006, 02:33 PM
Greetings,

The attitude that says: 'if Allah says it, then I must believe it.' If you submit to authority so readily, then you have effectively surrendered your powers of thought to another. There is no need for you to think for yourself anymore.

Peace
Ah I take it u anint a muslim???? Well then you wudnt understand then.... but hey thats what muslims believe so maybe you shud learn to respect that :hiding: ...same as I respect your errr beliefs....Oh yeah 4got U dont believe in anythin do you?

Kittygyal
03-05-2006, 02:34 PM
no i din't not fink dat at all.....

christians did not knw every fing bwt ''CHRISTIANITY'' am jus sayin that ur a muzlim n god knwz when u learnt it bt ma self r just learning...

hope u undastand wot i mean :)

n sis i'm not getting angry av still gt them smilles on me face :) :) :)

take care

Hijaabi22
03-05-2006, 02:34 PM
Greetings,

Did no-one tell you about this little rule? Did you not realise it was part of the deal?

Peace

Now Now no need to get like dat, WAT DEAL???? Islam is a WAY OF LIFE not a 'deal'??? Maybe you shud luk in2 it a bit more :)

Kittygyal
03-05-2006, 02:35 PM
Greetings,

Peace
wot deal:? :rollseyes

n no...no 1 tld me :uhwhat :heated:

take care

Hijaabi22
03-05-2006, 02:37 PM
no i din't not fink dat at all.....

christians did not knw every fing bwt ''CHRISTIANITY'' am jus sayin that ur a muzlim n god knwz when u learnt it bt ma self r just learning...

hope u undastand wot i mean :)

n sis i'm not getting angry av still gt them smilles on me face :) :) :)

take care
Sis I was referrin 2 the czgibson post not yours.... I totally understand where u cumin 4rm sis, AND CONGRATULATIONS FOR REVERTIN!!! Mashaallah I didnt know that!! May allah(swt) make you a guid pious muslim and guide you upon the straight path always...

And sis the whole music issue is kimda complicated as there are so many differein views....it jus offends me when ppl like czgibson mock our religion when they dont know anythin about it!!!!! :hiding: :hiding:

Me not angry wid u sis :) :) :) :)

Hijaabi22
03-05-2006, 02:38 PM
wot deal:? :rollseyes

n no...no 1 tld me :uhwhat :heated:

take care
Sis ignore the guy hes jus takin the mik :hiding: :hiding: :hiding:

aamirsaab
03-05-2006, 02:38 PM
Greetings,

Peace
That is a very good point. However, what some people fail to see is that they themselves are in control of their actions - not God. God doesn't take you to the crapper, your legs do that.

About this music thing, well it kinda doesn't make sense. Some people have posted that you should listen to the Islamic alternative - but that is still music no?
I don't need a sheiks opinion or interpretation to tell me what to do, I do my best to follow the Quran and Sunnah - the Words of God and the actions of the prophet [saw].

czgibson
03-05-2006, 02:39 PM
Greetings,
Ah I take it u anint a muslim????
No I'm not, hence the word 'Atheist' appearing prominently in my profile.

Well then you wudnt understand then.... but hey thats what muslims believe so maybe you shud learn to respect that
Well, I thought you might be prepared to discuss your beliefs with an outsider, but evidently not. You're free to believe whatever you like, of course, there's no question of disrespect here - it's not for me, that's all. I value intellectual independence and freedom of thought. If you don't, that's your business.

...same as I respect your errr beliefs....Oh yeah 4got U dont believe in anythin do you?
I'm an atheist, not a nihilist. You should think about learning more about ideas different to yours before you start telling people what they do or don't believe.

Peace

Kittygyal
03-05-2006, 02:39 PM
Sis I was referrin 2 the czgibson post not yours.... I totally understand where u cumin 4rm sis, AND CONGRATULATIONS FOR REVERTIN!!! Mashaallah I didnt know that!! May allah(swt) make you a guid pious muslim and guide you upon the straight path always...

And sis the whole music issue is kimda complicated as there are so many differein views....it jus offends me when ppl like czgibson mock our religion when they dont know anythin about it!!!!! :hiding: :hiding:

Me not angry wid u sis :) :) :) :)

sis dat was for the muslim sis

take care

Kittygyal
03-05-2006, 02:41 PM
Sis ignore the guy hes jus takin the mik :hiding: :hiding: :hiding:

yea tell me bwt it :grumbling :grumbling :hiding: :hiding:

take care

czgibson
03-05-2006, 02:46 PM
Greetings,
it jus offends me when ppl like czgibson mock our religion when they dont know anythin about it!!!!!
Why are you offended and in what way am I mocking your religion? Aamirsaab has given a sensible response - you've chosen to get offended for some reason. Why would that be?

(Also, I don't think it's entirely fair to say that I "dont know anythin about it". Maybe I don't know as much about Islam as you do, but I know much more about it than the average kaffir.)

Peace

Kittygyal
03-05-2006, 02:48 PM
Greetings,

Why are you offended and in what way am I mocking your religion? Aamirsaab has given a sensible response - you've chosen to get offended for some reason. Why would that be?

(Also, I don't think it's entirely fair to say that I "dont know anythin about it". Maybe I don't know as much about Islam as you do, but I know much more about it than the average kaffir.)

Peace

but at the end of the day wot r u talkin abwt the DEAL:grumbling :grumbling :heated: :heated:

that's wot we dn't undastand :hiding: :hiding: :heated: :heated:

take care

Snowflake
03-05-2006, 02:48 PM
sis dat was for the muslim sis

take care
lol everyone take a break.. take a kit-kat

islamgyal sis,
you can read about the prophet here inshaAllah
http://www.islamicboard.com/prophet-...mmad-saws.html

Snowflake
03-05-2006, 02:50 PM
Greetings,

Peace
What deal is that? Kindly elaborate...

Kittygyal
03-05-2006, 02:50 PM
yuk sik man sik i hate kit-kat yuk!!!!!!!

bt anyway ta for the info

take care

czgibson
03-05-2006, 02:53 PM
Greetings,
but at the end of the day wot r u talkin abwt the DEAL:grumbling :grumbling :heated: :heated:

that's wot we dn't undastand :hiding: :hiding: :heated: :heated:

take care
When you converted to Islam you were accepting a form of deal, one where you were not familiar with all the terms. That's all I was saying. Sorry if you think it sounds disrespectful.

Peace

aamirsaab
03-05-2006, 02:55 PM
I think what Czgibson meant was that when sister Islamgyal converted/reverted (whatever) to Islam, noone had told her about the rulings. The "Deal" part i believe was meant as a non-offensive joke which very strangely somehow managed to offend some members.

I am positive that Czgibson intended no harm with his posts, perhaps if people read his posts carefully and didn't retaliate with a knee-jerk reaction they'd see that he hasn't put a foot wrong since joining the forum.

Kittygyal
03-05-2006, 02:57 PM
Greetings,

When you converted to Islam you were accepting a form of deal, one where you were not familiar with all the terms. That's all I was saying. Sorry if you think it sounds disrespectful.

Peace

oh ryt sorry now i get yea am reali sorry:uhwhat

(i'll walk away lookin down) :uhwhat

take care

afriend
03-05-2006, 02:58 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Tagrid
wat if ur not addicted...but jus like to lisen t it? :confused: :?

Urm....So u listen as well?

Don't take the same route as me....I learnt the hard way...

it does effect you, also, almost all music has a hidden message behind it.

For example, Some song by the Maddona has the Quraan being recited backwards and, that is a huge sin, which is worshipping the devil.

That is the only known 1...but there are billions of others.

Trust me, I learnt the hard way, i was on the verge of goin deaf.....It's effects still linger.

First it will just be a bit, then more and more. Then soon u will be blasting music in ur room sooo loud u can be heard from the high street.

Kittygyal
03-05-2006, 02:58 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by aamirsaab
I think what Czgibson meant was that when sister Islamgyal converted/reverted (whatever) to Islam, noone had told her about the rulings. The "Deal" part i believe was meant as a non-offensive joke which very strangely somehow managed to offend some members.

I am positive that Czgibson intended no harm with his posts, perhaps if people read his posts carefully and didn't retaliate with a knee-jerk reaction they'd see that he hasn't put a foot wrong since joining the forum.
i said am sori to em and btw we do read his post's propley :grumbling :grumbling

take care

Kittygyal
03-05-2006, 03:00 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Iqram
Urm....So u listen as well?

Don't take the same route as me....I learnt the hard way...

it does effect you, also, almost all music has a hidden message behind it.

For example, Some song by the Maddona has the Quraan being recited backwards and, that is a huge sin, which is worshipping the devil.

That is the only known 1...but there are billions of others.

Trust me, I learnt the hard way, i was on the verge of goin deaf.....It's effects still linger.

First it will just be a bit, then more and more. Then soon u will be blasting music in ur room sooo loud u can be heard from the high street.

ehh is that true bwt the koran being recited backwards in da madoona song :rollseyes :rollseyes

take care

Snowflake
03-05-2006, 03:02 PM
Greetings,

Peace
Sorry to butt in.. but I want to clear that misconception. There is no such deal. A non-muslim can know more about islam than a born muslim. Most converts study Islam before accepting it and because of that, sometimes know more than born muslims who've not studied it. Being a revert is no excuse for not knowing, just like being a born muslim doesnt make you a know-it-all.

peace

afriend
03-05-2006, 03:02 PM
ehh is that true bwt the koran being recited backwards in da madoona song :rollseyes :rollseyes

take care
yes, if u wer in2 music as i was....I know a lot....but now it's just Quraan and a few muslim Songs (Known as nasheeds)

But i ask everybody!

Stay away, it will be small at first, then it will be big after a while.

Kittygyal
03-05-2006, 03:04 PM
Sorry to butt in.. but I want to clear that misconception. There is no such deal. A non-muslim can know more about islam than a born muslim. Most converts study Islam before accepting it and because of that, sometimes know more than born muslims who've not studied it. Being a revert is no excuse for not knowing, just like being a born muslim doesnt make you a know-it-all.

peace

plz try ta undastand am saying diz from my point ov view i don't knw abwt diz

plz plz plz try ta undastand :grumbling :grumbling

take care

Kittygyal
03-05-2006, 03:06 PM
yes, if u wer in2 music as i was....I know a lot....but now it's just Quraan and a few muslim Songs (Known as nasheeds)

But i ask everybody!

Stay away, it will be small at first, then it will be big after a while.

am in ta music alot it's ova da limit believe me i neva stop listnin to it:hiding: :hiding: :hiding: :hiding:

take care

mahuruf
03-05-2006, 03:08 PM
Music is not allowed.

Prophet (PBUH) says:

"There will be earthquakes, hurling away and transformation in my nation and that will be when they drink alcohol and take female singers and play music”

Early scholars like Imaam Ahmad prohibited the use of amusement instruments and strings such as the lute, mandolin, cymbal, reed flute and rebab. No doubt musical and amusement instrument in this group includes instrument like the violin, piano etc., which is widespread these days. Music intoxicates more than wine as said by scholars such as Ibn Qayyim and others. The prohibition becomes greater when the music is accompanied with songs and voices of singers and pop stars. The seriousness aggravates when the words and expression of love, passion and description of lovely things. This is the reason why scholars say songs are conduit of fornication. Music and songs are agents of temptation especially in this age.

May Allah’s Peace and Blessings be up on us all

Kittygyal
03-05-2006, 03:10 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by mahuruf
Music is not allowed.

Prophet (PBUH) says:

"There will be earthquakes, hurling away and transformation in my nation and that will be when they drink alcohol and take female singers and play music”

Early scholars like Imaam Ahmad prohibited the use of amusement instruments and strings such as the lute, mandolin, cymbal, reed flute and rebab. No doubt musical and amusement instrument in this group includes instrument like the violin, piano etc., which is widespread these days. Music intoxicates more than wine as said by scholars such as Ibn Qayyim and others. The prohibition becomes greater when the music is accompanied with songs and voices of singers and pop stars. The seriousness aggravates when the words and expression of love, passion and description of lovely things. This is the reason why scholars say songs are conduit of fornication. Music and songs are agents of temptation especially in this age.

ta for da info :thankyou: :thankyou:

take care

Snowflake
03-05-2006, 03:23 PM
plz try ta undastand am saying diz from my point ov view i don't knw abwt diz

plz plz plz try ta undastand :grumbling :grumbling

take care
lol sis, what's the matter with you? My reply was to czgibson, not you. I'm not saying ur supposed to know, ok? I was merely saying to czgibson that even born muslims wont know until they learn, hence there is no deal. And the reason I said that was because he asked you if you hadn't known of the deal.. lol relax girl.. no one is putting u down.. if born muslims knew everything then why would they be asking so many q's on the forum.. understand?? :rollseyes I posted u a link anyway to help you not to put you down :sister:

Kittygyal
03-05-2006, 03:31 PM
lol sis, what's the matter with you? My reply was to czgibson, not you. I'm not saying ur supposed to know, ok? I was merely saying to czgibson that even born muslims wont know until they learn, hence there is no deal. And the reason I said that was because he asked you if you hadn't known of the deal.. lol relax girl.. no one is putting u down.. if born muslims knew everything then why would they be asking so many q's on the forum.. understand?? :rollseyes I posted u a link anyway to help you not to put you down :sister:

yea sis nowt is wrng wiv me i am jus sayin it ok....

it's jus that i listn ta music alot n i can't live wiv owt it.... and reading sum of the posts it say's it's NOT allowed that's wot is putting me off and that's wot the matter is, am so sorry if i didn't make me post's clear :uhwhat :uhwhat

i know that u were post it to czgibson but i'm just saying it so everyone undastand's that it was from my own point ov veiw that i don't knw abwt this if music is allowed r not :grumbling :grumbling

i hope u undastand wot i mean nw :rollseyes

n anyway ta for the info

take care

aamirsaab
03-05-2006, 04:17 PM
Music is not allowed.

Prophet (PBUH) says:

Now that is a good explanation/reason. Thank you for the information.

AceOfHearts
03-05-2006, 04:37 PM
The main problem with listening to any music that does not remind you of Allah is that it takes you away from the rememberance of Allah. Because remember, everything you do in your life comes to absolutely nothing because you are destined to return to the Almighty Creator [just like the billions who lived and have died before you].

Your time would be better spent studying the Quran and listening to its recitation.

Nasheeds are a good alternative if you feel you must listen to some sort of music.

:)

czgibson
03-05-2006, 04:39 PM
Greetings,
Music is not allowed.

Prophet (PBUH) says:

It's interesting to have someone give a reason as to why music is not allowed in Islam, rather than simply saying 'Allah has forbidden it so that's that.'

Imaam Ahmad is mentioned as an authority - I thought the only authority in Islam was supposed to be Allah? I assume this man must be quite important for his views to be taken so seriously. How did he reach this level of influence?

So the charge is that music leads to fornication and temptation. I can see how this might be true in some cases - I'm thinking of music by the likes of Britney Spears and Madonna. What about all the other music that's out there, though?

I've talked about this before, and it doesn't seem right to say that all music should be forbidden just because of the awful music and lyrics of a few talentless performers.

If I listen to a song like "No Woman, No Cry" by Bob Marley, a truly beautiful song with heartrending lyrics about poverty, how am I tempted to do something that is immoral by that?

Here's an interesting sentence:

The seriousness aggravates when the words and expression of love, passion and description of lovely things.
So presumably that's more serious than a song about child-killers or something?

I find all of this utterly bizarre. I think opponents of music have got things totally upside-down. Yes, there is a lot of rubbish out there, and it's right to condemn it for being so, but don't condemn all music simply because of that.

Peace

Kittygyal
03-05-2006, 04:42 PM
Greetings,

It's interesting to have someone give a reason as to why music is not allowed in Islam, rather than simply saying 'Allah has forbidden it so that's that.'

Imaam Ahmad is mentioned as an authority - I thought the only authority in Islam was supposed to be Allah? I assume this man must be quite important for his views to be taken so seriously. How did he reach this level of influence?

So the charge is that music leads to fornication and temptation. I can see how this might be true in some cases - I'm thinking of music by the likes of Britney Spears and Madonna. What about all the other music that's out there, though?

I've talked about this before, and it doesn't seem right to say that all music should be forbidden just because of the awful music and lyrics of a few talentless performers.

If I listen to a song like "No Woman, No Cry" by Bob Marley, a truly beautiful song with heartrending lyrics about poverty, how am I tempted to do something that is immoral by that?

I find all of this utterly bizarre. I think opponents of music have got things totally upside-down. Yes, there is a lot of rubbish out there, and it's right to condemn it for being so, but don't condemn all music simply because of that.

Peace
that's wot i dn't get too :grumbling :grumbling :grumbling

take care

Snowflake
03-05-2006, 04:44 PM
islamgyal:it's jus that i listn ta music alot n i can't live wiv owt it.... and reading sum of the posts it say's it's NOT allowed that's wot is putting me off
no worries sis.. things take time... forget music for a min... it's difficult to do anything unless a person knows why is something forbidden, recommended, optional , permissable, or obligatory..

i dunno how music affects diff people.. but can i ask u a v. pesonal question..? if u mind jus tell me to get lost..lol. Say you was alone with ur bf listening to romantic love songz.. would u find that the lyrics, beat, the atmosphere would enhance ur senses, emotionz etc in ur desire for intimacy with ur bf, say the lyrics are something like.. i wish i could kiss u right now.. would that make u think about doing it? Chances are we follow our thoughts... Or would u feel it wouldn't make an iota's difference? Say ur listening to a song alone, and the lyrics go something like.. i wanna hold u in my arms and kiss u softly.. lol.. excuse my corny line .. ;D would u suddenly.. want to do that and carry out the emotionz u feel listening to those words? Or say u dont have a bf.. and u listen to those lyrics.. would the natural desire we all possess cause u to want a bf, cuz the emotionz in the song are so romantic & sweet that you begin wishing you could do that in real life.. would the song take u to some fantasy world that makes u wish it was real? You dont have to answer.. jus ask urself...
What I'm trying to get at is,, would music make you feel/think of things that are forbidden? Cuz the chances are a thought can turn into an action.. if you look at it from this angle then u can see why it's haraam.

Another thing is the waste of time.. i dunno with other ppl but i know when i listened to music.. i wasted a lot of time doing it, wasting so much money on cd's etc..and spending that money on something islamic..
me and my mates used to have karaoke nights.. where we'd sing bollywood songs (poor neighbours) i couldve been praying or doing something beneficial.. then cuz of our love for music, we wanted to go to concerts etc.. more money & time wasted... can u see how one thing can lead to another.. i couldve spent that time doin so many other useful things for this life and the hereafter..

im telling u this, to help u understand.. see how long it took me to stop listening to music.. everyone in ma family listened to music.. but when i decided to improve my knowledge on islam.. it became clear as to why it's forbidden.. otherwise i'd prob still be doing it.. thats why i was telling czgibson that it doesnt matter if ur a born muslim, it doesnt necessarily mean u know everything....so am telling u i understand that it's hard for you.. it is hard to give up things ur used to.. all im saying is when u dont understand a matter.. then research it.. once u understand it becomes easy to do anything..

hope that helped :)

Kittygyal
03-05-2006, 04:52 PM
thanks for the info and yea i'll be honest when i do listen ta love songs wiv me bf i feel hapi and nice and calm ;D ;D

anyway ta for the info

take care

Snowflake
03-05-2006, 04:58 PM
Greetings,

Peace
Greetings,

I know where you're coming from.. But I think, it's like saying ok you can have a boyfriend but you can't kiss him.. Nobody's gonna want a bf just to stare at. Right?
So being allowed to listen to one type of music and not another may be very well... but who'z going to draw the line? It'd be a case of well I got a bf, so I might aswell kiss him... God knows human nature, He knows our weaknesses. So he has forbidden it because He knows humans can easily cross their limits. Hence there are no limits, it's forbidden fullstop.

take drink driving for instance.. it's illegal.. but people do it.. ppl get killed cuz of it... limits cannot be applied to everything because they do not always work.. that's why sometimes prevention is better than cure.

Peace

mohakem
03-05-2006, 05:12 PM
As salamu alikum

it's jus that i listn ta music alot n i can't live wiv owt it...
Thats probably why ... :hmm:

wa alikum salam

moujahid
03-05-2006, 05:29 PM
music is a serious waste of time. only losers listen to music. music sucks big time. its not cool to listen to music. you either love Allah or you love your desires. the athiest probably have no clue what it means to obey the Master of the universe. its really unintelligent to be an athiest. people who try to run away from the reality ususally end up becoming athiests...becase when you remove God from your life...there are no constraints..the only constraints is to totalitarianism and anarchy. but how long will you be runing my friend. you will returning to the dust one day and you will certainly rise up one day to meet your Lord. if you deny that you are simply denying reality.

and again music sucks really. no matter how beautiful it is.. its retarted to listen to music in this world.

czgibson
03-05-2006, 05:31 PM
Greetings,
I know where you're coming from.. But I think, it's like saying ok you can have a boyfriend but you can't kiss him.. Nobody's gonna want a bf just to stare at. Right?
So being allowed to listen to one type of music and not another may be very well... but who'z going to draw the line? It'd be a case of well I got a bf, so I might aswell kiss him... God knows human nature, He knows our weaknesses. So he has forbidden it because He knows humans can easily cross their limits. Hence there are no limits, it's forbidden fullstop.

take drink driving for instance.. it's illegal.. but people do it.. ppl get killed cuz of it... limits cannot be applied to everything because they do not always work.. that's why sometimes prevention is better than cure.
So, let me get this straight - if I listen to Bob Marley, I'm doing wrong because I may go on and start listening to Britney Spears? That can't be right.

That's like saying that some people drive dangerously, therefore no-one should be allowed to drive - prevention is better than cure. Where's the sense in that?

What's wrong with me applying my own limits to what I listen to? I know what terrible music sounds like, and when I hear it I switch it off. Not because I might behave immorally as a result of listening to it, but because I don't like torturing my ears with senseless rubbish. The chance of someone like, say, Madonna having an influence on my behaviour is minimal to say the least.

But perhaps, of course, it may be a child listening to Madonna, and they're not going to know the difference - so in that case what's wrong with the parents setting the limits on what their children listen to?

Banning all music shows a distinct lack of trust in humanity's aesthetic faculties. I think people should be trusted to expose themselves to the many joys that music has to offer without fear of being told that what they're doing is wrong.

Still, it's just one of many reasons why Islam isn't for me.

format_quote Originally Posted by moujahid
music is a serious waste of time. only losers listen to music. music sucks big time. its not cool to listen to music. you either love Allah or you love your desires. the athiest probably have no clue what it means to obey the Master of the universe. its really unintelligent to be an athiest. people who try to run away from the reality ususally end up becoming athiests...becase when you remove God from your life...there are no constraints..the only constraints is to totalitarianism and anarchy. but how long will you be runing my friend. you will returning to the dust one day and you will certainly rise up one day to meet your Lord. if you deny that you are simply denying reality.

and again music sucks really. no matter how beautiful it is.. its retarted to listen to music in this world.
Ha Ha! Thanks very much for that post. It's considerably brightened my day!

Peace

cool_jannah
03-05-2006, 05:36 PM
becase when you remove God from your life...there are no constraints..the only constraints is to totalitarianism and anarchy. but how long will you be runing my friend. you will returning to the dust one day and you will certainly rise up one day to meet your Lord. if you deny that you are simply denying reality.
well said:thumbs_up

its retarted to listen to music in this world.
i agree brother:bravo:
i think people who have no life listen to music.
i mean it doesnt make any sense. how can people be so stupid.

cool_jannah
03-05-2006, 05:39 PM

Ha Ha! Thanks very much for that post. It's considerably brightened my day!

Peace
what an idiot! ;D

czgibson
03-05-2006, 05:42 PM
Greetings,
what an idiot! ;D
Why, thank you. It's reassuring to know that your standard of discussion hasn't diminished in the slightest!

Peace

afriend
03-05-2006, 05:42 PM
what an idiot! ;D
LOL

That was completely unnexpected....:giggling:

cool_jannah
03-05-2006, 05:47 PM
Greetings,

Why, thank you. It's reassuring to know that your standard of discussion hasn't diminished in the slightest!

Peace
im sorry bro. i didnt really mean to hurt your feelings. i feel bad now:sorry:
i do understand your concern as to how we can dislike music. trust me man i liked music more than anybody else in this forum. but i figured out the reason as to why it is harmful for a true believer. trust me its a feeling i cant explain. i just dont like music now cos it takes away my concentration from remembering Allah.

afriend
03-05-2006, 05:49 PM
^yeah.

but it's just freedom isn't it.

We can stay away from Music if we want to.....And those who want to listen they can...it's all up 2 u...

It's just our duty 2 warn u...

Like I always say:

You can take the horse to the lake, put you can't force it to drink....

czgibson
03-05-2006, 05:49 PM
Greetings,
im sorry bro. i didnt really mean to hurt your feelings. i feel bad now:sorry:
It's OK - don't worry. My feelings are not easily hurt! :)

Apology accepted. :thumbs_up

Peace

cool_jannah
03-05-2006, 05:53 PM
^yeah.

but it's just freedom isn't it.

We can stay away from Music if we want to.....And those who want to listen they can...it's all up 2 u...

It's just our duty 2 warn u...

Like I always say:

You can take the horse to the lake, put you can't force it to drink....
exactly its like fasting... you do something for the sake of Allah alone not because you want people to know about it.. that will be shirk then. its just a small sacrifice you do for the sake of Allah. doesnt hurt much. not listening to music infact makes you feel more peaceful and healthy. you feel frustrated after you listen to music.

ShoRoUk.h.
03-05-2006, 06:06 PM
sami yusuf is teh best....
even though he uses alot of instruments it makes his songs effective and makes u feel the song...

as long as teh words are not bad... ui guess not \
cuz even if it has music instruments it still brings u closer to allah so how would somethign that brings u closer to allah b haram

btw a catholic christian became muslim because she heard his songs and they affected her

afriend
03-05-2006, 06:09 PM
exactly its like fasting... you do something for the sake of Allah alone not because you want people to know about it.. that will be shirk then. its just a small sacrifice you do for the sake of Allah. doesnt hurt much. not listening to music infact makes you feel more peaceful and healthy. you feel frustrated after you listen to music.
Yeah.....Exactly.

But, now for the paracetamol for getting rid of your love of music.

Try and find alternatives to music, such as Quraanic recitaions by your favourite imam(s) (This worked for me)!!!!

Or, you could try and listen to nasheeds(islamic songs)....Allah did not forbid music completely, it all.....just have be careful about the lyrics and what instruments are used.

moujahid
03-05-2006, 06:14 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ShoRoUk.h.
sami yusuf is teh best....
even though he uses alot of instruments it makes his songs effective and makes u feel the song...

as long as teh words are not bad... ui guess not \
cuz even if it has music instruments it still brings u closer to allah so how would somethign that brings u closer to allah b haram

btw a catholic christian became muslim because she heard his songs and they affected her
i dont think he is cool man..what type of muslim is he? he needs to learn basics of sharia then before singing nasheeds.
are u deciding what brings closer you to Allah? when Allah describes of our ownselves and the nature of al-Insaan? you should read some Qur'an where Allah talks about the nature of human beings. who has better knowledge than Allah about whats good for us and whats not? if Allah said -that is not the way to come closer to me- are you going to refute that? brother...those who dont follow Islam completely are following the steps of Shaitan and their desires.

you shud tell inform her of this rule of sharia that music is haraam. she is earning the anger of Allah by listening to music...the intentions should be right of every muslim

Shadow
03-05-2006, 06:18 PM
i dont think we should have a say if music is haram or not because im sure no one on this forum is a scholar
I myself dont listen to music because its a doubtful matter
the best thing to do is to study about this subject than to make comments such as

"i think music is..."

or

"music is probably..."

because comments such as these may confuse younger members on the forum
therefore we shud not give opinions but rather a reliable source

its good to give authentic hadiths ofcourse :)

jalo
03-05-2006, 06:25 PM
you shud tell inform her of this rule of sharia that music is haraam. she is earning the anger of Allah by listening to music...the intentions should be right of every muslim[/QUOTE]

How can you say "that music is haraam", what about the music that is performed at the concerts that feature Muslim artists on behalf of Islamic Reflief how can this be termed haraam when so much good will come out of it. i.e. money being raised to help the victims of earthquakes etc.,

DaSangarTalib
03-05-2006, 06:25 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by nurul3eyn
but bro some of the nasheedas have music in it(i mean they play musical instruments):hmm: is't haram too :hmm:
yea that is haraam, i dont listen to those types of anasheeds, and plus nasheeds aint all that, some are way too modernised and sound exactly like music e.g. sami yusuf stuff..also heres an intresting article you ppl need to read Insha'Allah...

Traps of Iblees

by Imâm Ibn Qayyim al-Jawziyyah

Five

If the Al-'Abd has prevented Iblees from trapping him at this level, he moves him to the fifth level:

The FIFTH LEVEL IS TO OCCUPY HIM WITH PERMISSIBLE THINGS that do not gain him reward or punishment. However, the punishment of this level is caused by passing the reward missed by being occupied with these deeds.
read other traps >> http://www.islaam.net/main/display.p...82&category=12

so dont get too occupied with nasheeds! :confused:

cool_jannah
03-05-2006, 06:29 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Shadow
i dont think we should have a say if music is haram or not because im sure no one on this forum is a scholar
I myself dont listen to music because its a doubtful matter
the best thing to do is to study about this subject than to make comments such as

"i think music is..."

or

"music is probably..."

because comments such as these may confuse younger members on the forum
therefore we shud not give opinions but rather a reliable source

its good to give authentic hadiths ofcourse :)
funny how we can ridicule the Laws of Sharia like this. its clear my friend that music is Haraam. there is no doubt in it. no doubt at all. if you think im wrong you can hold me accountable on the day of judgement Insha'allah. no one is confusing the youth. they should have a clear understanding of what is right and what is wrong.

solid_snake
03-05-2006, 06:30 PM
gangsta rap music by 50 cent is very halal ;)

Kittygyal
03-05-2006, 06:31 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by solid_snake

so fi that is ok am sure uda music is ok 2 :rollseyes

take care

cool_jannah
03-05-2006, 06:33 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by jalo

How can you say "that music is haraam", what about the music that is performed at the concerts that feature Muslim artists on behalf of Islamic Reflief how can this be termed haraam when so much good will come out of it. i.e. money being raised to help the victims of earthquakes etc.,
we are not doubting the intentions of people. its not allowed to use harram to do something halal. there is no point in doing halal then. amazing things happen to muslims. this is one of the weird things ive heard that rock bands do concerts to generate money for helping people. its a joke really. i will never understand the mentality of these people.

afriend
03-05-2006, 06:39 PM

He's a drug ADICT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How cud u like ppl like that?

Kittygyal
03-05-2006, 06:40 PM
50 cent is a top lad :)

take care

Snowflake
03-05-2006, 07:04 PM
Greetings,

So, let me get this straight - if I listen to Bob Marley, I'm doing wrong because I may go on and start listening to Britney Spears? That can't be right.

That's like saying that some people drive dangerously, therefore no-one should be allowed to drive - prevention is better than cure. Where's the sense in that?
Peace
Not everyone is like you though. Some people listen to metal and start doing drugs, even suicide & whatnot. And I did say drink-driving. is'nt prevention better than cure there? I think so.

DaSangarTalib
03-05-2006, 07:06 PM
:confused: :confused: :confused:

May Allah guide us All..AMEEN!

aamirsaab
03-05-2006, 07:07 PM
We have gone in a circle: how can Islamic music be allowed and not non-islamic music, it doesn't make sense. Czgibson is getting a lot of flak for no reason. Please stop doing this, he has done nothing apart from ask for an explanation with regards to the topic - if you have been somehow offended by any of his posts, go bash your skull against a wall.

Also, just saying Music is haram doesn't make it so. I don't care what the sheiks have to say on this, if it is written in the Quran and/or Sunnah then I will follow it, otherwise, I do as I wish.

czgibson
03-05-2006, 07:08 PM
Greetings,
Not everyone is like you though. Some people listen to metal and start doing drugs, even suicide & whatnot.
Yes, but the majority of people who listen to heavy metal don't do these things.

And I did say drink-driving. is'nt prevention better than cure there? I think so.
So no-one should be allowed to drive?

Peace

DaSangarTalib
03-05-2006, 07:16 PM
have brothers and sister forgotten about this GENUINE hadith posted by Islam-Truth

Sahih Bukhari, No. 5226.
Abu'Amir or Abu Malik Al-Ash'ari: he heard the Prophet (SallAllahu alayhi wa Sallam) saying: From among my followers there will be some people who will consider illegal sexual intercouse, the wearing of silk, the drinking, of alcohlic drinks and the use of musical instruments, as lawful.
looks like something on those lines happening here, dont worry all this has already been said by our Prophet Muhammad (peace Be upon Him); that this is going to ocuur and other stuff, which in due time will soon...no doubt about that!

By saying music by 50 cent is halal, if that was the case wouldn't all Music be completely allowed in Islam? but im afraid as much as you hate it ALL MUSIC IS HARAAM! :confused:

aamirsaab
03-05-2006, 07:20 PM
By saying music by 50 cent is halal, if that was the case wouldn't all Music be completely allowed in Islam? but im afraid as much as you hate it ALL MUSIC IS HARAAM! :confused:
That's what I mean. Islamic music can't be halal if the ruling is that music is haram.

*LJ*
03-05-2006, 07:26 PM
we dont need non-muslims telling us what to do. keep the disagreements with you. dont create fitnah here.
Salamu alaikum,

Bro, that was a bit out of order, czgibson was just trying to help. Notice the links were from other threads off this site on the same subject.

FORUM RULE:
12.This is not a Fiqh discussion board. Prolonged threads arguing over Fatwas and the details of Islamic law will be closed. Avoid asking questions that require a Scholar or Shaykh, as there is no one on the board qualified to answer your questions. Please use other knowledgeable means such as a scholar, Imam or knowledgeable person in your area or provide sources.

Scholars agree that we should not listen to music that goes against Islam (eg. music degrading women, promoting sex before marriage, violence etc.) Apart from this the scholars don't really agree on whether we shoudl listen to music or not and I don't think they ever will. I think this is one of those things we have to look at Quran and Sunnah and decide for ourselves.

This is a fiqh topic and we shouldn't be discussing it on here as it can create fitnah...

Salam :)

DaSangarTalib
03-05-2006, 07:27 PM
That's what I mean. Islamic music can't be halal if the ruling is that music is haram.
Islamic Music?? do u mean nasheeds??..if the nasheeds got musical instruments in then that is without a doubt Haraam from my view...like i said sami yusuf, yusuf Islam and may be others uses alot of instruments in their nasheeds, which i think is haraam and they shouldn't do that...i dont listen to them type of nasheeds anyway, so im safe! or should i say im not accumulating sins for listening to it.

Kittygyal
03-05-2006, 07:29 PM
ppl now u knw that not only music is not allowed cuz dem uda things nasidees (hope i splt it ryt) they aint allowed too...

if am wrng plz let me knw

take care

DaSangarTalib
03-05-2006, 07:39 PM
ppl now u knw that not only music is not allowed cuz dem uda things nasidees (hope i splt it ryt) they aint allowed too...

if am wrng plz let me knw

take care
nasheeds are allowed as long as they dont have musical instruments in, and dont give out a bad message like you see in some of the western music..and also dont give out an un-islamic message

Kittygyal
03-05-2006, 07:44 PM
bt wot abwt if sum ov da music dn't gve a bad message?

take care

snakelegs
03-05-2006, 08:05 PM
Also, just saying Music is haram doesn't make it so. I don't care what the sheiks have to say on this, if it is written in the Quran and/or Sunnah then I will follow it, otherwise, I do as I wish.
this seems a rational approach.
yes, music definitely affects you. i've been listening to practically nothing but qawwalis by nusrat fateh ali khan for the last 8 years. it makes me feel closer to God than anything else. when i first heard it, it felt like coming home. so all day long, i listen to hamds, naats and manqabats and i feel great love.
not too bad for a kaffir, huh?

alishba
03-05-2006, 08:09 PM
iv heard sum people say it is haraam depeneding on hw u interperet it

alishba
03-05-2006, 08:10 PM
wot are the punishments for listening to music do you know

DaSangarTalib
03-05-2006, 08:11 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by snakelegs
this seems a rational approach.
yes, music definitely affects you. i've been listening to practically nothing but qawwalis by nusrat fateh ali khan for the last 8 years. it makes me feel closer to God than anything else. when i first heard it, it felt like coming home. so all day long, i listen to hamds, naats and manqabats and i feel great love.
not too bad for a kaffir, huh?
WOAAH! :confused:

but the main thing is musical instruments in Islam is not allowed and that isnt just the view of scholars..it is Islam..our prophet Muhammad (PBUH) said it himself...so if this is forbidden then anything with instruments in is forbidden...e.g. All pop music, rock etc...nasheeds is our alternative, but even some nasheeds have instuments in, which is also then not allowed...so we are only allowed to listen to just the vocals, but of course if its given out a good message, and an islamic one too

aamirsaab
03-05-2006, 08:15 PM
bt wot abwt if sum ov da music dn't gve a bad message?

take care
Exactly! You can't allow islamic music and not allow non-islamic music - that's like saying all apples grown by a kafir are haram because they may be poisoned but those that are grown by muslims are halal.

From what I have gathered, over many years of knowledge and some of these threads, the only reason why non-islamic music is considered Haram is due to the fact that it can keep you away from your namaz etc. However, all it takes is a little self control.

Another reason why music is considered haram, again from what I know of, is due to bad messages etc. Ok I agree with you on this to some extent, but there are songs that contain no hidden and/or bad messages - yet these are still considered haram and nasheeds are not?

Finally, we have the instrumental argument which states that if it has instruments used in it, it is haram. Which therefore leaves nasheeds left in the picture (Well, certain ones at least). But, by using previous arguments, nasheeds are also not allowed as they are still a form of music. Unless of course the exact ruling is: No songs and no music are allowed. If that is the case, fine - there is no argument.

What we need less of is people's opinions on music and more of evidence (or should I say, reasons/explanations) from the Quran and Sunnah (and hadith) - I have stated this numerous times before.

Edit:
WOAAH! :confused:

but the main thing is musical instruments in Islam is not allowed and that isnt just the view of scholars..it is Islam..our prophet Muhammad (PBUH) said it himself...so if this is forbidden then anything with instruments in is forbidden...e.g. All pop music, rock etc...nasheeds is our alternative, but even some nasheeds have instuments in, which is also then not allowed...so we are only allowed to listen to just the vocals, but of course if its given out a good message, and an islamic one too
Thank you, this is exactly the kind of reply I was looking for: it answers all of my questions with evidence from the Sunnah (actions of the prophet [saw]). Again, thank you.

Ghazi
03-05-2006, 08:25 PM
Salaam

This is to the brothers and sisters who tend to debate this subject.

An-Nu'man Ibn Bashir(MYALLAHBEPLEASEDWITHHIM) said "I heard Allah's Messenger(PBUH) say "Both legal and illegal matters are palin but in between them there are doubtful (Unclear) things, and most people have no knowladge about them. So, whoever saves himself from these doubtful (unclear) things, he saves his religion and his honour, and whoever indulges in these doubtful (unclear) things is like a shapherd who grazes (his animals) near the Hima ( private pasture) of someone else, and it any moment he is liable to get into it. (O people!) Beware! Every king has Hima and the Hima of allah on earth is what He has made illegal (Forbidden). Beware! There is a piece of flesh in the body, if it becomes good (Reformed), the whole body will be good but if it gets spolit the whole body will be spolit and that is the Heart

[Collected by Al-Bukhari and Muslim]

THE POINT OF THE ABOVE HADITH IS WHEN IN DOUBT STAY AWAY FROM IT AND YOU'LL SAVE YOURSELF ALOT OF TROUBLE.

*LJ*
03-05-2006, 08:34 PM
Salaam

This is to the brothers and sisters who tend to debate this subject.

An-Nu'man Ibn Bashir(MYALLAHBEPLEASEDWITHHIM) said "I heard Allah's Messenger(PBUH) say "Both legal and illegal matters are palin but in between them there are doubtful (Unclear) things, and most people have no knowladge about them. So, whoever saves himself from these doubtful (unclear) things, he saves his religion and his honour, and whoever indulges in these doubtful (unclear) things is like a shapherd who grazes (his animals) near the Hima ( private pasture) of someone else, and it any moment he is liable to get into it. (O people!) Beware! Every king has Hima and the Hima of allah on earth is what He has made illegal (Forbidden). Beware! There is a piece of flesh in the body, if it becomes good (Reformed), the whole body will be good but if it gets spolit the whole body will be spolit and that is the Heart

[Collected by Al-Bukhari and Muslim]

THE POINT OF THE ABOVE HADITH IS WHEN IN DOUBT STAY AWAY FROM IT AND YOU'LL SAVE YOURSELF ALOT OF TROUBLE.
Ameen!

Can say again that this is a FIQH DISCUSSION and against forum rules. Hope someone will listen to me...

May Allah guide us all,
Salam

Ghazi
03-05-2006, 08:36 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by *LJ*
Ameen!

Can say again that this is a FIQH DISCUSSION and against forum rules. Hope someone will listen to me...

May Allah guide us all,
Salam
Salaam

I hear you, but people usually won't take your word for things and need proof I would've added ayats from the quran but I don't know any regarding music I just started my Tafseer classes.

czgibson
03-05-2006, 08:37 PM
Greetings,

Out of interest, what does 'fiqh' mean and why is it against the rules to discuss matters that come under this heading?

Peace

Shadow
03-05-2006, 08:42 PM
funny how we can ridicule the Laws of Sharia like this. its clear my friend that music is Haraam. there is no doubt in it. no doubt at all. if you think im wrong you can hold me accountable on the day of judgement Insha'allah. no one is confusing the youth. they should have a clear understanding of what is right and what is wrong.
i wasnt referring to those comments
i was referring to comments like

"i think music is halal because ive seen muslim rap artists" etc.

ps. no offense intended

DaSangarTalib
03-05-2006, 08:48 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Shadow
i wasnt referring to those comments
i was referring to comments like

"i think music is halal because ive seen muslim rap artists" etc.

ps. no offense intended
yea brother theres a lot a groups who are Muslim and make rap music..but their stuff include musical instruments, but at the same time they might be giving out a good islamic message, some do...and in that case from the way i see it thats still Haraam. if it was without the instruments then that would be OK like i said before lol..its quite simple we all know the difference between right and wrong, halal and haraam etc....but anways May Allah guide us all..Ameen!

take care brother :)

ShoRoUk.h.
03-05-2006, 08:52 PM
woooooow ppl here are downright rude....sheesh
czgibson
is just tryign to help and give some ideas and u call it fitnah? plz its the muslim sheiks and scholars who dont even noe wat they a re saying (not all of them)

hes making teh disagreements NO its Muslims themselves so plzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz....
dont play urself....

Andaraawus
03-05-2006, 08:53 PM
As-Salamu alaykum
Imam Naw awi and Ibn Hajar strictly forbid it no matter the case but Imam Ghazali allows it if the music has good message ....theres difference with the scholars of guidance .....that means no britney!!!!

Snowflake
03-05-2006, 09:05 PM
aamirsaab;201590]:sl:
We have gone in a circle: how can Islamic music be allowed and not non-islamic music, it doesn't make sense.
What do you mean by islamic music? There are so many styles.. e.g nasheeds, qawalis etc.. Hope u dont think it's ok to praise Allah in rock style, twanging an electric guitar :rollseyes

Czgibson is getting a lot of flak for no reason. Please stop doing this, he has done nothing apart from ask for an explanation with regards to the topic - if you have been somehow offended by any of his posts, go bash your skull against a wall.
Not guilty :D

Also, just saying Music is haram doesn't make it so. I don't care what the sheiks have to say on this, if it is written in the Quran and/or Sunnah then I will follow it, otherwise, I do as I wish
Forget shiekhs for a sec....The proof is the Prophet himself. Can you prove that the prophet allowed music or listened to it himself.

Also in the Quran can you show me where it says it's permissable? According to this translation it's haraam.

Ibn Mas`ud (may Allah be pleased with him) used to swear by Allah that the ayah "And of mankind is he who purchases idle talk to mislead (men) from the Path of Allah . . .” (Luqman: 6) referred to singing.

Agreed.. there are differently translations of this verse which someone is going to point out sooner or later. But there is still no verse saying music is permissable.

Don't 4get, the Quran does not tell us how many units rakaah we should pray for salah. The prophet told us that.

Then think...........if music was not haraam the prophet would've indulged in it himself and told us specifically that it's allowed. Infact he did no such thing and instead made it clear that music is haram.

The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) said: “Among my Ummah will be those who make permissible al-hira (adultery), silk, khamr and musical instruments . . .” (Reported by al-Bukhari; see al-Fath, 10/51).

The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) said: “In this Ummah there will be punishments of earthquakes, showers of stones and deformity (transformation into animals); that will be when the people drink khamr, listen to female singers and play musical instruments.” (See al-Silsilah as-Saheehah, 2203; attributed to Ibn Abid-Dunya, Dhamm al-Malahi; the hadith was narrated by at-Tirmidhi, no. 2212).

You must remember that when you're saying music is not haraam, you're leading people to think that all forms of music is ok. Music is a powerful tool to play with human emotions. So if you want to listen to it then by all means feel free... but dont tell others it's not haram.

aamirsaab
03-05-2006, 09:48 PM
What do you mean by islamic music? There are so many styles.. e.g nasheeds, qawalis etc.. Hope u dont think it's ok to praise Allah in rock style, twanging an electric guitar :rollseyes
I was refering to all of those, my point was why do some say that it is fine to listen to nasheeds but listening to pop etc is haram (even when there are no hidden messages etc)

Not guilty :D
Lucky you (!)

Forget shiekhs for a sec....The proof is the Prophet himself. Can you prove that the prophet allowed music or listened to it himself.

Also in the Quran can you show me where it says it's permissable? According to this translation it's haraam.

Ibn Mas`ud (may Allah be pleased with him) used to swear by Allah that the ayah "And of mankind is he who purchases idle talk to mislead (men) from the Path of Allah . . .” (Luqman: 6) referred to singing.

Agreed.. there are differently translations of this verse which someone is going to point out sooner or later. But there is still no verse saying music is permissable.

Don't 4get, the Quran does not tell us how many units rakaah we should pray for salah. The prophet told us that.

Then think...........if music was not haraam the prophet would've indulged in it himself and told us specifically that it's allowed. Infact he did no such thing and instead made it clear that music is haram.
I don't deny any of this, I was merely asking for an explanation. Which I got, so i'm happy :). Also, I did say Quran AND sunnah - the actions of the prophet [saw] - when I said Sheik, I meant sheik, not the prophet [saw]

You must remember that when you're saying music is not haraam, you're leading people to think that all forms of music is ok. Music is a powerful tool to play with human emotions. So if you want to listen to it then by all means feel free... but dont tell others it's not haram.
Ah you see, you misunderstood my post, I never said it was halal or haram, I did say that some people were saying non-islamic music is and islamic music isn't, I then asked for an explanation which I waited 6 pages for. :)

*LJ*
03-06-2006, 05:52 PM
Greetings,

Out of interest, what does 'fiqh' mean and why is it against the rules to discuss matters that come under this heading?

Peace
Salamu alaikum,

"In Islam, jurisprudence in Muslim Law, Sharia. The original meaning of the word is "understanding" or "knowledge."

http://i-cias.com/e.o/fiqh.htm

So its the understanding of certain rulings made by scholars but its usually talking about rules which scholars have different opinions on. These things are not... I don't want to use the word important, these things aren't 'essential' for you to be a Muslim and its usually ok for people to have differeing opinions but it can cause disagreements which I think is why we're nto supposed to discuss it and also we should have the views of scholars who have studied the Quran and Sunnah.

(Someone correct me if I'm wrong, I find it hard explaining this)

And Allah knows best,
Salam

Andaraawus
03-06-2006, 07:18 PM
i forgot to say that it would be best to avoid music right? that would be the safest option ....dont you think?

abdul Majid
03-06-2006, 07:20 PM
right

DaSangarTalib
03-06-2006, 07:21 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Andaraawus
i forgot to say that it would be best to avoid music right? that would be the safest option ....dont you think?
YEP :happy:

Mainul_Islam
03-06-2006, 10:34 PM
i agree

moujahid
03-07-2006, 02:47 AM
yea i agree that music sucks. i dont think it gives internal happiness to humans. its retarted to listen to music.

mujahedeen2087
03-07-2006, 04:29 AM
music is not haram it does not say in the quran
and anyone that thinks insturments are haram your crazy! same goes to you ppl that banned soldiers of allah on this site. your crazy

moujahid
03-07-2006, 05:22 AM
assalaamoalaikum

listen buddy. what kind of mujahideen are you. its kufr to reject the orders of RasulAllah Salallahu Alayhi wa Sallam. if your arguments are based on the fact that 'Qur'an does not say music is harram' then you cannot do your most important fareedah of Islam - Salah. where do you find instructions as to how to pray salaah in the Qur'an?
Music is definitely haraam. its kufr to reject the orders of sharia. and there is no difference of fiqh in this.
its amazing how we cant even sacrifice something so obscure as music, and we want to give our lives for the sake of Allah.
Subhanallah. very surprising

mahuruf
03-07-2006, 06:55 AM
listen buddy. what kind of mujahideen are you.
Very relevant question. If you have not read the Qur’an and the Hadiths please refer to some of the posts in this thread.

Wasalaam.

E'jaazi
03-07-2006, 07:12 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by mujahedeen2087
and anyone that thinks insturments are haram your crazy! same goes to you ppl that banned soldiers of allah on this site. your crazy

Be careful with your words & only speak what U know to be the truth. Here is the truth along with the evidence that music is HARAM!

Islam Questions & Answers
www.islam-qa.com
Question Reference Number:: 43736
Title: Statement from the Standing Committee for Academic Research and Issuing Fatwas concerning the prohibition of singing and music

Home > Jurisprudence and Islamic Rulings > Customs and traditions > Rulings on art and acting > Condemnation of Singing and Musical Instruments >
Question:

I read an article by some writer which said that singing and music are permissible, and refuted those who say that these things are haraam. He encouraged the broadcasting of recordings by dead singers as a means to preserve their memory and the art that they produced during their lives and lest the living be deprived of listening to that art and seeing it. He said: There is no text in the Holy Qur’aan which forbids singing and music, and in the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) we have a good example, and he used to listen to singing and music, and enjoined them at Eid and on occasions such as marriage and other joyous occasions. Then he said: And there are da’eef (weak) ahaadeeth which some quote as evidence that singing and music are forbidden, but it is not right to attribute them to the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) in order to support an opinion or prevent something that some people do not agree with. Then he quoted the opinions of some of the scholars who say that singing is allowed.

Answer:

Praise be to Allaah.

The Standing Committee for Academic Research and Issuing Fatwas issued a statement refuting this article, the text of which is as follows:

The scholars of the Standing Committee said:

In refutation of these specious arguments the Committee has stated the following:

Firstly: it is not permissible for anyone to discuss matters of sharee’ah except scholars of sharee’ah who are specialized and qualified to research and examine issues. The writer of this article is not a seeker of shar’i knowledge (taalib ‘ilm) so it is not permissible for him to discuss something in which he is not specialized. Hence he has made many mistakes and said many ignorant things, and spoken about Allaah and His Messenger (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) without knowledge. This is a sinful matter and is misguiding his readers. By the same token it is not permissible for the media – newspapers, magazines, etc – to give space to those who are not scholars of sharee’ah to discuss shar’i rulings and write about things that are not their specialty, so that the Muslims may be protected from their ideas and beliefs.

Secondly: Nothing can benefit the deceased after his death except that which is indicated by the shar’i evidence, such as the report in which the Messenger (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “When a man dies, his (good) deeds come to an end except three: ongoing charity, beneficial knowledge and a righteous son who will pray for him.” Narrated by Muslim, 1631. As for the sins that a person committed during his lifetime, and died without having repented from them – including singing – he will be punished for them unless Allaah forgives him for them by His Grace and kindness. So it is not permissible to resurrect them and revive them after he has died, lest that sin be added to the sins that he committed during his lifetime, because the harm of that extends to others, as the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Whoever introduces a bad practice into Islam, the burden of that sin will be upon him, as will the sin of those who do it after him, without that detracting from their burden in the slightest.” Narrated by Muslim, 1017.

Thirdly: With regard to his comment that “There is no text in the Holy Qur’aan which forbids singing and music,” this reflects his ignorance of the Qur’aan. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“And of mankind is he who purchases idle talks (i.e. music, singing) to mislead (men) from the path of Allaah without knowledge, and takes it (the path of Allaah, or the Verses of the Qur’aan) by way of mockery. For such there will be a humiliating torment (in the Hell‑fire)”

[Luqmaan 31:6]

The majority of mufassireen say that what is meant by Lahwa al-hadeeth (“idle talks”) in this verse is singing. Another group says that it is every sound of entertainment, which includes flutes, stringed instruments and so on. All of these mislead men from the path of Allaah and cause misguidance. It is proven that Ibn Mas’ood (may Allaah be pleased with him), the great Sahaabi who was one of the scholars of the Sahaabah (may Allaah be pleased with them) said, commenting on this verse: “By Allaah, this refers to singing.” And he said: “It causes hypocrisy to grow in the heart as water causes herbs to grow.”

And there are many ahaadeeth which point to the prohibition of singing and musical instruments and indicate that they are a means which leads to great evil and bad consequences. The great scholar Ibn al-Qayyim (may Allaah be pleased with him) discussed the rulings on singing and musical instruments in great detail in his book Ighaathat al-Lahfaan.

Fourthly: This writer tells lies about the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) by saying that he used to listen to songs and music and enjoined them at Eid and on occasions such as marriage and other joyous occasions. It is proven that he (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) granted a dispensation to women only, when there are no men present, allowing them to beat the daff and sing nasheeds which are free of any mention of love or the music and instruments, which includes the permissive songs that exist nowadays. Rather he allowed nasheeds that are free of such offensive characteristics and he allowed beating the daff only, not other kinds of drums or musical instruments, to proclaim marriage. It is narrated in saheeh ahaadeeth, as in Saheeh al-Bukhaari, that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) forbade musical instruments of all types and issued stern warnings against them. It is narrated in Saheeh al-Bukhaari and other books of hadeeth that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “There will be among my ummah people who will regard as permissible zina (adultery), silk, alcohol and ma’aazif (musical instruments). Some people will camp at the top of a mountain with their shepherd looking after their sheep, and a poor man will come and ask for something, and they will say, ‘Come back to us tomorrow.’ But Allaah will destroy them and level the mountain, and will turn others into monkeys and pigs until the Day of Resurrection.”
The word ma’aazif (translated above as musical instruments) refers to singing and all kinds of instruments. The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) condemned those who regard as permissible zina (adultery), the wearing of silk for men and the drinking of alcohol, and who listen to singing and musical instruments. He mentioned that alongside zina, alcohol and the wearing of silk by men, which indicates that singing and musical instruments are emphatically forbidden.

Fifthly: With regard to this writer’s comment that there are da’eef (weak) ahaadeeth which some quote as evidence that singing and music are forbidden, but it is not right to attribute them to the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) in order to support an opinion or prevent something that some people do not agree with, this reflects his ignorance of the Sunnah, for the evidence that singing is forbidden is to be found partly in the Qur’aan and partly in Saheeh al-Bukhaari, as stated above, and partly in other books of Sunnah, which the earlier scholars used as evidence that singing and music are forbidden.

Sixthly: The opinion of some scholars who allow singing is an opinion that is refuted by the evidence which forbids that. The point here is that we should follow what the evidence says and not that which goes against it. We may take or leave the words of anyone except the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him).

This writer must repent to Allaah from what he has written, and he should nor speak about Allaah and His Messenger without knowledge, for speaking about Allaah without knowledge is mentioned alongside shirk in the Book of Allaah.

May Allaah help us all to learn the truth and follow it.

May Allaah send blessings and peace upon our Prophet Muhammad and upon his family and companions.

Islam Q&A (www.islam-qa.com)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

©Copyright Islam Q&A 1997-2000
You are granted the right to use and display all the information on this site without any consent from the site maintainer(s). You may copy, distribute, print, link to any document, or translate to any language, as long as the information is quoted in its entirety, the source is mentioned, and without changing the contents.

Snowflake
03-07-2006, 12:17 PM
The prophet (saw) as an example to mankind.
In the 23 years that he spread his message, The prophet (saw) offered the world truth, clarity and a sense of purpose. Muhammad (pbuh) is the only prophet whose life and work has been closely studied by scholars of all faiths. His daily life, his actions, his responses to situations are all extremely well documented. He is truly an example for to all of us to follow. Indeed following his example is required of us by God Himself, who says in the Qur’an: “In God’s messenger you have indeed a good example for everyone who looks forward with hope and awe to God and the Last Day, and remembers God unceasingly.” (33: 21)

Now think.. please think really really deeply... The Quran does not say muslims can marry an older woman. Yet we know it's permissable from the Prophet's marriage to Khadijah (ra). Note the wisdom behind this marriage. It was for our benefit, to show us that it is not forbidden to muslims.

Similarly even if the Quran does not say music is haraam, and the prophet wanted to show us that it is halal, he would've simply done so by listening to music himself, holding such gatherings and therefore giving us proof that music was not haraam. Do you think that was difficult for the prophet to do so? No it wasn't. Yet he did not such thing.

Knowing that the prophet was a living example to mankind, you still think that music is halaal when the perfect example did not indulge in this form of entertainment? Surely even you agree that the prophet (saw) was the complete and perfect example for us, leaving no doubt as to how we should be living our lives.
Lastly, let me add something else... Muslims have a duties to fulfill towards each other, to their families, friends, neighbours, strangers, the poor, the sick and the oppressed.

Now let's ask ourselves.. how many of the sick we hear about do we visit?

Do we give charity or even the obligatory zakaah to the poor?

How many of our neighbours need help yet we don't care to find out?

Do we spend time giving dawah and teaching others what we know about Islam,teaching our wives and children about islam, carrying out daily tasks according to sunnah?

How many people repeatedly go to Hajj & Umrah, instead of helping their muslims brothers or sisters go instead for once. Yet the Prophet taught us " You will not become a believer unless you like for others what you like for yourself."

What effort do we make to help the oppressed?

How many make the effort to pray in mosque? Or recite the Quran and understand it's meaning? Or even bother to correct our tajweed?

How many men help their wives in the house as the prophet did, or even indulge in some halal fun with them?

How may husbands play with their children or make the effort of helping them with homework, their deen and practicing Islam. Don't most men come from work and simply plonk themselves in front of the TV, while children wish daddy would play with them. How many men sadly miss the joy of seeing their childrens faces flush from playing and kicking a ball around in the park with their daddies? Yet sadly they have time for music, tv and friends.

The answer is maybe one of the above, maybe two, but definitely not all.
Then is it a surprise that we have to fill our time with satanic entertainment?
If we conducted our lives as we are meant to, trust me, we wouldn't have time for idle persuits. From fajr to Isha our daily life would be filled with persuits beneficial to us and others, on earth and in the hereafter. There'd
be less depression and life would certainly be more meaningful. There'd be no need for filling in time with useless hobbies. If we were doing what is halal and ogligatory, there'd simply be no time to waste away listening to music.

Ghazi
03-07-2006, 12:20 PM
Salaam

goes to you ppl that banned soldiers of allah on this site. your crazy
Huh? Care to Elaborate?

nishom
03-07-2006, 12:49 PM
Lets look at this from a rational point of view.
We shouldnt be categorrising things as haram and halal, this all but leads to arguements going full circle and no clarity being reached on an issue.
Lets point out the benefits and disadvantages of listening to music, and make a judgement on this.
Yes it is important to look at the quran and sunnah, but since many of us youth today hardly implement these into our lives, its asking a lot to convince someone that music is forbidden from a quranic point of view.
If were talking of pop or rock music, what possible benefits are there? I mean, the words have absolutely no meaning and are based upon a distorted view of life based on sex, drugs, rock and roll, violence, greed, lust, fulfillment of desires, polygamy. We must ask ourselves are these features of our Islam? Why listen to such words that promote such evils when we can listen to rhe wisdom of the Quran?
With regards to classical music and love songs, one may argue that such music can sooth ones mind after a hard day or when feeling depressed.
However, why turn to music when God has given us the Quran and Sunnah to seek comfort in? If we are feeling lonely, depressed we should look to our Islamic sources. Or seek comfort in family friends. Why listen to the words of a stranger who you know nothing about? Look at the example of Gary Glitter.

czgibson
03-07-2006, 04:13 PM
Greetings,
format_quote Originally Posted by nishom
Lets look at this from a rational point of view.
I think what you meant to say was "Let's look at this from a totally biased and uninformed point of view."

If were talking of pop or rock music, what possible benefits are there? I mean, the words have absolutely no meaning and are based upon a distorted view of life based on sex, drugs, rock and roll, violence, greed, lust, fulfillment of desires, polygamy.
Can you categorically state that all pop or rock songs contain lyrics matching this description?

Look at the example of Gary Glitter.
What gives you the crackpot idea that all musicians are like Gary Glitter?

Peace

DaSangarTalib
03-07-2006, 04:25 PM
Music is haram Period..dont make excuses for it, go back on this thread brother and you'll find the proof from Qur'an and Ahadith...are you going to dispute that?

mizan_aliashraf
03-07-2006, 04:27 PM
Music is haram Period..dont make excuses for it, go back on this thread brother and you'll find the proof from Qur'an and Ahadith...are you going to dispute that?

I dont know how the brother can call himself a mujahid and have such views. Music is HARAAM! there is no excuse for it. Some of the modern day nasheeds also fall into this same category, but that is a matter of opinion.
Wassalam

Kittygyal
03-07-2006, 04:29 PM
people as u r sayin MUSIC is NOT allowed in izlam den wot abowt da things yea listn ta most muzlims listen ta em.... a dn't knw wo they r called :'(

take care

DaSangarTalib
03-07-2006, 04:32 PM
people as u r sayin MUSIC is NOT allowed in izlam den wot abowt da things yea listn ta most muzlims listen ta em.... a dn't knw wo they r called :'(

take care
listen to nasheeds instead..you can download em of the folowing link Insha'Allah :)

>> http://www.islamicboard.com/islamic-...ur-copy-9.html

mizan_aliashraf
03-07-2006, 04:33 PM
Salam
They are nasheeds. There are nasheeds (like i said before) that are just like the music of the kuffar and so (according to some scholars) they are forbidden. The muslim should not follow the example of the kafir. And again, music is HARAAM - whether muslims listen to it or not is beside the point - that is between them and allah
Wassalam

DaSangarTalib
03-07-2006, 04:35 PM
i've said this before on this thread nasheeds with instruments in is haraam but not the ones without it

Kittygyal
03-07-2006, 04:37 PM
ok chill chill ta anyway...

btw bro Fight&Die4Allah dem nashids i don't undastand em at all :'(

ta anyway

take care

DaSangarTalib
03-07-2006, 04:38 PM
you dont have to understand the ones in arabic, i dont either...some are in English im sure you can understand them tho :)

DaSangarTalib
03-07-2006, 04:41 PM
The Prohibition

The Noble Qur'an - Luqman 31:6

And of mankind is he who purchases idle talks (i.e. music, singing, etc.) to mislead (men) from the Path of Allah without knowledge, and takes it (the Path of Allah, the Verses of the Qur'an) by way of mockery. For such there will be a humiliating torment (in the Hell-Fire).

Ibn Masood (ra) said about this verse "I swear by the One other than Whom there is no God that it refers to singing [ghinaa].", and he repeated this three times. Ibn Abbaas (ra) said it refered to 'singing and the like' while Jaabir (ra) is reported to view its meaning to signify singing and listening to songs. Many taabi'oon such as Mujaahid, Ikrimah, Mak-hool and Umar ibn Shu'ayb viewed it as a censure of music and song.

Hadith - Bukhari (#787) [Also related by Tabari]

Sa'id ibn Jbayr reported that Ibn 'Abbas said about the verse: "And of mankind is he who purchases idle talks" (31:6), that, "ldle talks means singing and the like."

The Noble Qur'an - Al-Isra 17:64

"And Istafiz [literally means: befool them gradually] those whom you can among them with your voice (i.e. songs, music, and other call for Allah's disobedience)..."

Hadith - Bukhari 7:494

Narrated Abu 'Amir or Abu Malik Al-Ash'ari that he heard the Prophet saying, "From among my followers there will be some people who will consider illegal sexual intercourse, the wearing of silk, the drinking of alcoholic drinks, and the use of musical instruments as lawful. And (from them), there will be some who will stay near the side of a mountain, and in the evening their shepherd will come to them with their sheep and ask them for something, but they will say to him, 'Return to us tomorrow.' Allah will destroy them during the night and will let the mountain fall on them, and Allah will transform the rest of them into monkeys and pigs and they will remain so till the Day of Resurrection."

The Noble Qur'an - An-Najm 53:57-62

The Day of Resurrection draws near, None besides Allah can avert it, (or advance it, or delay it). Do you then wonder at this recital (the Qur'an)? And you laugh at it and weep not, Wasting your (precious) lifetime in pastime and amusements (singing, etc.). So fall you down in prostration to Allah, and worship Him (Alone).

‘Ikrimah (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: it was narrated from Ibn ‘Abbaas that al-sumood [verbal noun from saamidoon, translated here as “Wasting your (precious) lifetime in pastime and amusements (singing)”] means “singing”, in the dialect of Himyar; it might be said “Ismidi lanaa” [‘sing for us’ – from the same root as saamidoon/sumood] meaning “ghaniy” [sing]. And he said (may Allaah have mercy on him): When they [the kuffaar] heard the Qur’aan, they would sing, then this aayah was revealed.
Ibn Katheer (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: Allah says (interpretation of the meaning) “Wasting your (precious) lifetime in pastime and amusements (singing)” – Sufyaan al-Thawri said, narrating from his father from Ibn ‘Abbaas: (this means) singing. This is Yemeni (dialect): ismad lana means ghan lana [sing to us]. This was also the view of ‘Ikrimah. (Tafseer Ibn Katheer).

READ MORE HERE >> http://www.muttaqun.com/music.html

mizan_aliashraf
03-07-2006, 04:42 PM
Salam
Why should we make an effort to understand nasheeds? We should instead make a good effort to understand qur'an - that is guidance for us all
Wassalam

Kittygyal
03-07-2006, 04:43 PM
yea i do undastand dem in english dey jus make me laugh bt am downloading da english one's

am sorri if am saying dere funny it's jus dat av never heard em b4

i dn't mean ta upset any1 k

take care

Kittygyal
03-07-2006, 04:44 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by mizan_aliashraf
Salam
Why should we make an effort to understand nasheeds? We should instead make a good effort to understand qur'an - that is guidance for us all
Wassalam

how r we suppose ta undastand da koran:?

take care

DaSangarTalib
03-07-2006, 04:44 PM
Salam
Wassalam
yea i agree and ppl can download the beautiful recitation of the Qur'an from the following link Insha'Allah.

>> http://quran.jalisi.com/

czgibson
03-07-2006, 04:47 PM
Greetings,
The muslim should not follow the example of the kafir.
Why are you using a computer then? Weren't computers first used by kaffirs?

Peace

Snowflake
03-07-2006, 04:49 PM
^Good work Fight bro! What I find really amusing it that all muslims know that we should follow the prophets example.. Well the prophet did not listen to music nor encourage it.. then people still dont understand what following the prophet's example means..

DaSangarTalib
03-07-2006, 04:49 PM
how r we suppose ta undastand da koran:?

take care
you could read the transulation of it from:

>> http://www.muslimaccess.com/quraan/arabic/001.asp

nishom
03-07-2006, 04:50 PM
Greetings,

I think what you meant to say was "Let's look at this from a totally biased and uninformed point of view."

Can you categorically state that all pop or rock songs contain lyrics matching this description?

What gives you the crackpot idea that all musicians are like Gary Glitter?

Peace

Ive listened to a lot of music and from a personal point of view, i have come to the judgement that a lot of the songs are based on the description i gave. However i acknowledge that there are artists out there who deal with real life issues.
Also i wasn't saying all musicians are like Gary Glitter. I have to admit that most musicians are good people who do a lot of good in this world. I was trying to make the point that we cant trust what these people are saying as they are strangers, and we have no idea how they live their lives.

Kittygyal
03-07-2006, 04:51 PM
o bro ur a star :)

thanks eva so much

take care

nishom
03-07-2006, 04:55 PM
Greetings,

Why are you using a computer then? Weren't computers first used by kaffirs?

Peace
Calm down guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
If anything is used for the benefit of Islam and as a means of dawah, surely it becomes islamic???????
Talking to Hassen Rasool on the topic, he was of the opinion that music can be used minimally and as long as it does not divert attention from the message of a nasheed.
What if music was used as a means of dawah, used minimally to get the message of Islam to non Muslims.

czgibson
03-07-2006, 05:04 PM
Greetings,
Calm down guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I can assure you that I, for one, am perfectly calm. :)

If anything is used for the benefit of Islam and as a means of dawah, surely it becomes islamic???????
Interesting. So before the internet were computers considered unIslamic because of the kaffir association?

Peace

mahuruf
03-07-2006, 05:05 PM
Talking to Hassen Rasool on the topic, he was of the opinion that music can be used minimally and as long as it does not divert attention from the message of a nasheed. .
As'salamu alaikum,

Who is this Hassen Rasool?

Salaam

nishom
03-07-2006, 05:09 PM
^Good work Fight bro! What I find really amusing it that all muslims know that we should follow the prophets example.. Well the prophet did not listen to music nor encourage it.. then people still dont understand what following the prophet's example means..

Muslim in Andalusia deveopled Mathematics whivh they borrowed from the Egyptians.
They made progress in the field of architecture, which they borrowed from the [Persians.
They also contributed a lot to Greek philosophy, in taking and revising WEstern ideas.
This was at the peak of Islamic rule.

Is it possible therfore for Muslims to take certain aspects of Western culture today and develop it.
For instance, with regards to music, i feel Islamic artisits should enter the charts with no music playing and the emphasis purely on the message of the song and the melody and tone of the singers voice. If it catches on, maybe in the future western artists will stop the use of mussic and do the same.

I see this as no different as Muslims contributions to Greek philosohy, based on a questioning of God. Yet Muslims played an important part in the study of Greek pohilosophy and translating it for future Western generations.

nishom
03-07-2006, 05:12 PM
As'salamu alaikum,

Who is this Hassen Rasool?

Salaam
Hassen Rasool is RENOWN reciter of the holy Quran, naasheed artist who also specialises in art and design and Graphics in the field of Islam.

nishom
03-07-2006, 05:17 PM
Greetings,

I can assure you that I, for one, am perfectly calm. :)

Interesting. So before the internet were computers considered unIslamic because of the kaffir association?

Peace
Salaam.
If something is developed by a non Muslim this does not make it haraam. What makes it haraam is whather Allah has permitted it or not. With somethink like the use of computers (not spcifically mentioned inQuran) we need to use the good it has but not indulge in what bad it has to offer.

At the height of Islamic civilisayion, Muslims borrowed from Greek philosophy, persian architecture and egyptain Mathematics.

czgibson
03-07-2006, 05:24 PM
Greetings,
Salaam.
If something is developed by a non Muslim this does not make it haraam. What makes it haraam is whather Allah has permitted it or not. With somethink like the use of computers (not spcifically mentioned inQuran) we need to use the good it has but not indulge in what bad it has to offer.

At the height of Islamic civilisayion, Muslims borrowed from Greek philosophy, persian architecture and egyptain Mathematics.
So it's OK to imitate the kuffar if the kuffar are doing something good? It seems a bit more absolutist than that when some people say it.

By the way, I'm really not surprised computers weren't mentioned in the Qur'an!

On the point you mention about ancient Greek philosophy, you're quite right; if it weren't for the Muslims we would know nothing about it.

Peace

Snowflake
03-07-2006, 08:30 PM
Muslim in Andalusia deveopled Mathematics whivh they borrowed from the Egyptians.
They made progress in the field of architecture, which they borrowed from the [Persians.
They also contributed a lot to Greek philosophy, in taking and revising WEstern ideas.
This was at the peak of Islamic rule.

For instance, with regards to music, i feel Islamic artisits should enter the charts with no music playing and the emphasis purely on the message of the song and the melody and tone of the singers voice. If it catches on, maybe in the future western artists will stop the use of mussic and do the same

Sorry, I don't understand.. why are you talking about who invented what? What has that got to do with whether music is haram or not?

Brother, if in this day and age music could be sold based on a singers talent only, trust me so many artists wouldn't be flaunting their bodies or other peoples in their performances and videos. And what you say about islamic artists singing without music, then that wouldnt be music at all would it? They are having enough trouble as it is singing nasheeds without music. Honestly stop living in a fantasy world. Western singers will never follow any such thing. If betting wasn't haraam, I'd have bet you a million dollars on it.

mahuruf
03-08-2006, 08:52 AM
As'salamu alaikum my dear brother in Islam,

Talking to Hassen Rasool on the topic, he was of the opinion that music can be used minimally and as long as it does not divert attention from the message of a nasheed.
I am very curious to know if Mr Hassen Rasool accept or give Fatwa to take liquor or drugs that will not divert my attention from my prayer.

Will he be able to tell us what is the minimum or maximum limit of Music that is accepted?

Does it mean he agrees that what is forbidden by “Allah” (SWT) and “Rasoolullah” (SWS) in Islam can be minimally used without diverting the meaning of Islam?

Wasalaam

Snowflake
03-08-2006, 11:42 AM
What if music was used as a means of dawah, used minimally to get the message of Islam to non Muslims.

How do you define what is minimum? You can't. One instrument can cause more diversion than three. So on what basis did Hassan Rasool come to that conclusion? It doesnt make sense.
Music as means for dawah? Yes sure.. the prophet (saw) and sahaba went round beating drums & playing flutes to preach the word of God..:rollseyes when will people learn.. when will they learn...? :offended:

------
03-08-2006, 11:46 AM
U people are going off the point... What evidence is there in the Qur'an and the Hadith that Music is Haraam.. ?:?

DaSangarTalib
03-08-2006, 12:08 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Pagal Kuri
U people are going off the point... What evidence is there in the Qur'an and the Hadith that Music is Haraam.. ?:?
:) :)

The Prohibition

The Noble Qur'an - Luqman 31:6

And of mankind is he who purchases idle talks (i.e. music, singing, etc.) to mislead (men) from the Path of Allah without knowledge, and takes it (the Path of Allah, the Verses of the Qur'an) by way of mockery. For such there will be a humiliating torment (in the Hell-Fire).

Ibn Masood (ra) said about this verse "I swear by the One other than Whom there is no God that it refers to singing [ghinaa].", and he repeated this three times. Ibn Abbaas (ra) said it refered to 'singing and the like' while Jaabir (ra) is reported to view its meaning to signify singing and listening to songs. Many taabi'oon such as Mujaahid, Ikrimah, Mak-hool and Umar ibn Shu'ayb viewed it as a censure of music and song.

Hadith - Bukhari (#787) [Also related by Tabari]

Sa'id ibn Jbayr reported that Ibn 'Abbas said about the verse: "And of mankind is he who purchases idle talks" (31:6), that, "ldle talks means singing and the like."

The Noble Qur'an - Al-Isra 17:64

"And Istafiz [literally means: befool them gradually] those whom you can among them with your voice (i.e. songs, music, and other call for Allah's disobedience)..."

Hadith - Bukhari 7:494

Narrated Abu 'Amir or Abu Malik Al-Ash'ari that he heard the Prophet saying, "From among my followers there will be some people who will consider illegal sexual intercourse, the wearing of silk, the drinking of alcoholic drinks, and the use of musical instruments as lawful. And (from them), there will be some who will stay near the side of a mountain, and in the evening their shepherd will come to them with their sheep and ask them for something, but they will say to him, 'Return to us tomorrow.' Allah will destroy them during the night and will let the mountain fall on them, and Allah will transform the rest of them into monkeys and pigs and they will remain so till the Day of Resurrection."

The Noble Qur'an - An-Najm 53:57-62

The Day of Resurrection draws near, None besides Allah can avert it, (or advance it, or delay it). Do you then wonder at this recital (the Qur'an)? And you laugh at it and weep not, Wasting your (precious) lifetime in pastime and amusements (singing, etc.). So fall you down in prostration to Allah, and worship Him (Alone).

‘Ikrimah (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: it was narrated from Ibn ‘Abbaas that al-sumood [verbal noun from saamidoon, translated here as “Wasting your (precious) lifetime in pastime and amusements (singing)”] means “singing”, in the dialect of Himyar; it might be said “Ismidi lanaa” [‘sing for us’ – from the same root as saamidoon/sumood] meaning “ghaniy” [sing]. And he said (may Allaah have mercy on him): When they [the kuffaar] heard the Qur’aan, they would sing, then this aayah was revealed.
Ibn Katheer (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: Allah says (interpretation of the meaning) “Wasting your (precious) lifetime in pastime and amusements (singing)” – Sufyaan al-Thawri said, narrating from his father from Ibn ‘Abbaas: (this means) singing. This is Yemeni (dialect): ismad lana means ghan lana [sing to us]. This was also the view of ‘Ikrimah. (Tafseer Ibn Katheer).

READ MORE HERE >> http://www.muttaqun.com/music.html

Hijaabi22
03-08-2006, 12:08 PM
Greetings,

No I'm not, hence the word 'Atheist' appearing prominently in my profile.

Well, I thought you might be prepared to discuss your beliefs with an outsider, but evidently not. You're free to believe whatever you like, of course, there's no question of disrespect here - it's not for me, that's all. I value intellectual independence and freedom of thought. If you don't, that's your business.

I'm an atheist, not a nihilist. You should think about learning more about ideas different to yours before you start telling people what they do or don't believe.

Peace
:rollseyes :rollseyes :rollseyes :rollseyes :rollseyes

Muhammad
03-08-2006, 12:33 PM

This issue keeps on cropping up on this forum, and I would advise members to look through the other threads on music as well as this one, if they wish to read more about what has been said.

Such issues that require knowledge to be discussed, and can cause dispute mongst members, are not allowed on this forum - hence our rule:
12. This is not a Fiqh discussion board. Prolonged threads arguing over Fatwas and the details of Islamic law will be closed. Avoid asking questions that require a Scholar or Shaykh, as there is no one on the board qualified to answer your questions. Please use other knowledgeable means such as a scholar, Imam or knowledgeable person in your area or provide sources.
Our aim here is to educate people about Islam and promote its practice, not to take the role of scholars. Insha'Allaah we can appreciate this and try our best to follow the correct way, and shun our desires from making such a decision.

Callum, I think the following link clarifies the issue of imitating non-Muslims:

Ruling on imitating the kuffaar, and the meaning of the phrase, “What the Muslims think is good is good before Allaah”

:threadclo

Peace.

mahuruf
03-08-2006, 01:16 PM
Thread Closed

As'salamu Alaikum

Thread can be closed to avoid conflicts in Islamic fundamental principles. But when an issue is raised challenging that principle, until the doubts are cleared it would be beneficial to all if continued. I am referring to the thread “Music Haram or Not?”

Wasalaam

Muhammad
03-08-2006, 01:41 PM

The reason why the thread in question, and others like it, were closed, is due to a number of reasons.

The most important is probably the fact that people with little knowledge are discussing issues that require knowledge to be addressed in the first place. You will notice that one of the Q&A quoted in this thread (from Islamqa) actually pointed out this fact:

format_quote Originally Posted by post#147
it is not permissible for anyone to discuss matters of sharee’ah except scholars of sharee’ah who are specialized and qualified to research and examine issues.
Secondly, rather than reaching a conclusion, these threads often tend to continue endlessly despite the fact that many evidences and references have already been cited (and you will note this thread has reached 13 pages!); people still continue to argue the other opinion and do not wish to change their views. This forum does not specialise in dealing with such issues, otherwise we may have allowed such discussions and tried to clarify them had we been qualified people of knowledge, but unfortunately we are not and we deal with more basic and fundamental aims such as conveying the message of Islam and clarifying misconceptions about it, as I mentioned above.

There is also the problem of people forgetting the issue at hand and going off-topic, and you will note how people began talking about Islamic contributions to the west, nasheed artists' lives; in addition to people getting upset and others revealing their sins in public; then you have some people who feel they are qualified to issue a fatwah by saying what they feel is the most correct stance and why it cannot possibly go against their views... the list can go on.

All in all, I do not think a conclusion is going to be reached some time soon since every now and again somebody seems to bring up an argument that was already brought up 10 pages earlier and the whole discussion keep going round in circles; so I hope you can understand that we find it best to close such threads and people are advised to contact a scholar if they are still confused.

Lastly, it would be better to contact staff via pm if you feel there is a problem with the rules Insha'Allaah.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.