Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Anette
03-04-2006, 06:57 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by handhuvar
:sl:

CAN U PLS TELL ME THE MEANING OF
" you feel the stick is generally more effective than the carrot"

i need this very soon :rollseyes
I think it have to do with that a force to do something because you simple have to do it or else some consequence (the stick) ... is better then one that is rewarded with encouragement (the carrot) to do something.

Hope it could be of some help

handhuvar
03-05-2006, 08:39 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Anette
I think it have to do with that a force to do something because you simple have to do it or else some consequence (the stick) ... is better then one that is rewarded with encouragement (the carrot) to do something.

Hope it could be of some help
:sl:

thanx for ur help:) :thankyou:

- Qatada -
07-25-2006, 08:44 PM
:salamext:

Yeah.. like some people believe that beating someone up for not doing an action is more effective than giving them reward for doing that good action.

There are three things in psychology:

Positive Reinforcement: This is when someone does a good act, so they end up with a reward for that good action. For example, if a child gets good marks in his school work - they may get money as a reward.

Negative Reinforcement:
This may be a form of punishment, but it only occurs if that person doesn't do the good action. So if a person doesn't do well at school - they get punished for it, so instead - the child works harder to do that good act.

Punishment: This is used to force a person to do that good act, otherwise they are waiting for a punishment. So the child may get forced to do some act, otherwise they are already warned of a severe punishment from their parent. It's really similar to negative reinforcement.

So the saying above is saying that Negative reinforcement and Punishment is better off than Positive Reinforcement.

Allaah Almighty knows best.

:wasalamex

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Woodrow
07-25-2006, 09:04 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Fi_Sabilillah

Yeah.. like some people believe that beating someone up for not doing an action is more effective than giving them reward for doing that good action.

There are three things in psychology:

Positive Reinforcement: This is when someone does a good act, so they end up with a reward for that good action. For example, if a child gets good marks in his school work - they may get money as a reward.

Negative Reinforcement:
This may be a form of punishment, but it only occurs if that person doesn't do the good action. So if a person doesn't do well at school - they get punished for it, so instead - the child works harder to do that good act.

Punishment: This is used to force a person to do that good act, otherwise they are waiting for a punishment. So the child may get forced to do some act, otherwise they are already warned of a severe punishment from their parent. It's really similar to negative reinforcement.

So the saying above is saying that Negative reinforcement and Punishment is better off than Positive Reinforcement.

Allaah Almighty knows best.

Sorry, but as an old retired psychologist I always get upset over the common misunderstandings of what is meant by negative reinfocement.

Reinforcement is anything that will elicit a response

Punishment is anything that will cause a response to cease

Positive reinforcement is the addition of something that will ellicit the response.

Negative reinfocement is the removal of something that will elicit the response

Positive punishment is the addition of something that will cause a response to cease

Negative punishment is the removal of something that will cause the response to cease.

When I was running rats in experimental psych the best example of negative reinfocement was to train a rat to go to a specific corner of the cage. This was done by electrifying the bottom of the cage so the rat was constantly shocked. When the rat approached the desired corner, the current would be turned off. The rat was trained to go to that same corner all the time through negative reinforcement. The negative part was the removal of the shock. the action being reinforced was the going to the specific corner.

I apologise for the intrusion on the thread. But, the old Psychologist, just could not let that misconception go on.

- Qatada -
07-25-2006, 09:11 PM

loll jazak Allaahu khayr uncle woodrow! i was kinda confused myself so jazak Allah khayr for clarifying that :)

Yanal
10-21-2007, 12:26 AM
I recommend asking the rabbit around here(Muezzin) pm him and see

sevgi
10-21-2007, 12:16 PM
lol...

its a four legged analogy...

u either encourage it with a stick, or with a carrot...

that makes sense rite...

it has been explained a lot better in the previous posts...but i thought i'd just put mi 2c in...:)

poga
10-21-2007, 12:51 PM
:sl:there is stick on front of ass and that is carrot
and there is stick behind of ass
that stick on behind hits him hard if he does not run therefore stick on behind is better:w:
this is what i think

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!