/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Trying, but Failing!

Jeness18
03-05-2006, 11:08 PM
I want to be a writer when I grow up, but I don't know if that'll be possible because every writing assignment I get in history class, I do bad on. The last essay I had to do, was the final essay pertaining to Islam, whether it supports violence or not... well I tried to write...I get these horrible comments from my teacher ughh and he says, "Good if it were an editorial." and just to me feel a little better, "Well written." All of my friends got better grades on it and rubed it in my face. My friend Jolynn was like begging me to tell her my grade... but is it fair for me to have to announce that I am a complete and total failure. I love Islam, how can we put a grade on Islam... that is just not fair. It should be whether the teacher sees Islam in your heart or just sees you doing the assignments because we have to. I didn't 'have' to come here, but I did because I wanted to. I still receive bad grades.
If I do bad on writing assignments in school, does that mean I will never get to be the bestselling author that I want to be? I really want to be a writer now to show that I can write and to prove my teachers were wrong about me.

The black thorns of the rose, the crooked nose, and those stubby toes- makes this world seem a little less perfect than it hast to be.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
AceOfHearts
03-06-2006, 12:33 AM
The classical advise on improving english, and which I too agree upon, is to read good english novels.

nihma333
03-06-2006, 01:12 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Companion
read good english novels.
I couldn't have put it better myself.

In addition you should keep on writing, don't be discouraged. Lets take a look at some of the greatest influences in history.... Einstien was considered a complete failure in school, and look at what he turned out to be. Edison's continuous attempts to perfect the lightbulb, until finally he achieved his goal. There are many others, reagardless of who they are, don't give up, and just work on your writing.:happy:
peace,
Naimah

bezimany 071
03-06-2006, 02:55 AM
i write too.....and trust me, the more people that tells you that your work is no good, it should motivate you to write harder.....now i perform on stage elhamdulillah, and people are mad quiet and listen to what i say.....the poetical words i speak on stage are the ones i wrote and memorized previosly.......they seem to like it now because i get approached afterwards, and people want to know more....but i would never get here if i wasnt gettin bad comments, if people didnt make fun of me, and if teachers didnt give me bad grades......things and people like that motivate me to prove them wrong, i believed in my dream, and i pushed myself harder with Allahs help....and i still continue to do so, because i strive to perfect my skill on a daily basis....

word of advice....write every day........i write every day even if its 4 lines......but i always write to pracitce and to sharpen my lyrical sword....

peace to you friend
omar

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
ShoRoUk.h.
03-06-2006, 03:37 AM
its not ur fault : a good writer always writes the ruth regardless and that is what uy have done and so u are a good writer...

also if ur teacher is giving u bad grades because of the truth u are writing then its his problem
but if it is because of ur grammer then try to do as teh others said read lots of books and try studying new vocabalry everyday..

god b with u and good luck with ur writing and i hope one day u can accoplish ur dream:D god willing

Eric H
03-06-2006, 07:58 AM
Greetings and peace Jeness18;

If your teachers are critical ask them if they can suggest ways for you to improve, the content in your writing may be very good and informative but if you have a poor writing style people may not wish to read it. There is just so much information every were you look and people can be selective in what they choose to read.

You could post short articles you have written on this forum and ask for honest opinions.

In the UK. There may well be a writers club nearby that comprises of a group of people interested in writing who meet regularly to discuss writing projects. If you ask in the local library they will have a list of any local clubs.

Colleges often run writing courses, don’t be put of by courses that are called writing for women’s magazines, these courses teach you many writing skills and that is were many writers get their first articles published.

There are many books on writing tips in the library.

You can write for your own pleasure and that is very good for trying to formulate ideas and be creative, but it is trying to write these stories for other people that can be challenging, I personally am not any good at this.

Take care

Eric

F.Y.
03-08-2006, 10:14 AM
Hiya Jeness
Ask yourself this:
Did you put all the effort you could when doing the assignment?
Were you happy with yourself the moment you handed it in?
Do you think you researched as much as you could?

I believe the asnwer to all these questions is yes. Just observing from where i am now, you were open to new ideas, you didnt come in with preconceived prejudices, and you did a variety of things like ask us to fill out forms and created threads for questions you needed help with. You were very enthusiastic - and good writers need this quality as part of thier personality.

If your teacher doesnt like it - so be it. You know you tried your hardest - you have determination, i can see that - and that counts for a lot! Comparisons to others will not help - it'll only make you feel more jealous and it develops enmity between you and your friends.

Dont feel down. Low grades and stuff - its all a part of life. How you make your comeback - thats what counts. I'll be waiting to read your books in the future!

Please keep in contact with the islamicforum. :)

Qurratul Ayn
03-08-2006, 11:45 AM
Hello Jeness18

You've got great advice coming from many members of this forum so take heed and hopefully in the future you should do well!

Goodbye
Shakirah

akulion
03-08-2006, 11:49 AM
I say, If you cant be a good writer in English, be one in Japanese :D

F.Y.
03-09-2006, 04:48 AM
Just another thought. When you become a writer, take into account that not everyone will appreciate your effort or the work you do. For example, take JK Rowling. Many people love her work, and there are some who hate it, they dont see whats so good about it.

Different people value different things - so be prepared to meet people who wont always give you the support you deserve. That support must come from your faith and from within yourself.

Peace

itsme01
03-10-2006, 11:58 AM
:sl: Jeness,

Several good advices have been said above. Just stick and be confident.

And, behold, with every hardship comes ease. Verily, with every hardship
comes ease! Hence, when thou art freed [from distress], remain steadfast,
and to thy Lord turn (all) thy attention.

Holy Quran, Chapter 94, Verses 5-8

Jazak'Allah Khair

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.