/* */

PDA

View Full Version : A relative won the lottery!

swanlake
04-18-2005, 10:37 AM
:sl:

It is awful that a distant relative who is a neighbour won almost £5m on the lottery.

She doesnt practise her deen..that bit is obvious and when money was offered to us , we had to decline!

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Z
04-18-2005, 10:40 AM
Asalamu Alaikum

So sad to hear, may Allah guide all His slaves. Ameen.

MetSudaisTwice
04-18-2005, 10:41 AM
Sister you did the right thing in declining haram money, mashallah. you should try and guide your relative to the straight path. indeed you and your family will truly prosper.

swanlake
04-18-2005, 10:49 AM

Imagine being offered the money to purchase your 5 berdroom house in the city...

Suffice to say ..some non-religious members of the family were tempted, but mom is very adamant and is against it very much.

The temptation is truly there! May Allah give us the strength to resist any temptation.

Apparently..one couldnt pray in that house, could they?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
MetSudaisTwice
04-18-2005, 11:00 AM
mashallah you got throught this test of allah (swt)

Umm Yoosuf
04-18-2005, 01:58 PM
Assalaamu Alaykum

Subhanallah! Muslim's these days. We are lacking Knowldge.

Uthman
04-18-2005, 02:04 PM

Subhan'Allah. :(

YUSUFALI: We have indeed sent down signs that make things manifest: and Allah guides whom He wills to a way that is straight.
PICKTHAL: Verily We have sent down revelations and explained them. Allah guideth whom He will unto a straight path.
SHAKIR: Certainly We have revealed clear communications, and Allah guides whom He pleases to the right way.

We have indeed sent down (in this Quran) manifest Ayat (proofs, evidences, verses, lessons, signs, revelations, lawful and unlawful things, and the set boundries of Islamic religion, etc. that make things clear showing the Right Path of Allah). And Allah guides whom He wills to a Straight Path (i.e. to Allah's religion of Islamic Monotheism).

:w:

MetSudaisTwice
04-18-2005, 02:06 PM
excellent quotes and comments brother Osman. mashallah. keep it up so everyone can benefit

Genius
04-18-2005, 03:13 PM
I wish i was rich, inshallah.

Dark Side
04-18-2005, 03:26 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Genius
I wish i was rich, inshallah.
Rather you should be wishing that you were poor. The more wealth you have in this life, the harder it becomes for you to gain wealth in the next life, unless you give your wealth in charity. In this life money comes and goes, but faith and morals are the things which last. My family is very concerned with money, except for me. I do not want to be rich or even well off. I would rather be living as a homeless than in a mansion.

Umm Yoosuf
04-18-2005, 03:45 PM
What was the hadiths of the Prophet....something along the lines of

I looked at Paradise and found poor people forming the majority and I looked into the hellfire and the majority were women!

Subhanallah.

Genius
04-18-2005, 04:33 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Dark Side
Rather you should be wishing that you were poor. The more wealth you have in this life, the harder it becomes for you to gain wealth in the next life, unless you give your wealth in charity. In this life money comes and goes, but faith and morals are the things which last. My family is very concerned with money, except for me. I do not want to be rich or even well off. I would rather be living as a homeless than in a mansion.
I'm bored of being poor, nobody listens to poor people.

Far7an
04-18-2005, 04:34 PM
Allah listens to you :)

Dark Side
04-18-2005, 05:09 PM
There are many people who were poor and ended up becoming famous do to their character and their devotion to the cause of Allah s.w.t. Don't forget that most of the prophet Muhammad's companions were poor people and young people. They were considered unimportant before Islam, but through Islam they have cemented their place as some of the most important and respected people in history. There are examples of people like that in our present time as well. Remember that even if you amass all of the well in the world, it will not bring you eternal happiness. It will only keep you pleased until you die. And then all of your wealth can do nothing to help you. The only thing which follows us to the next life is our deeds.

Khattab
04-18-2005, 05:11 PM
and our emaan........

SalafiFemaleJih
04-18-2005, 07:48 PM
I wish I was poor so I wouldn't be accountable on the day of judgement for all my income....less money u have less questions u are going to be asked about money....more money more questions subhanAllah...as in if you have 100 dollars Allah swt going to ask for the every single dollar u spent on summit.

walaikum salaam wr wb.

S_87
04-18-2005, 09:10 PM
poor people enter jannah first :)

SalafiFemaleJih
04-18-2005, 09:13 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by amani
poor people enter jannah first :)
what about who are rich and practisin?

Z
04-18-2005, 09:16 PM
Asalamu Alaikum

I don't have the ref. but I know it goes like this. The poor will enter Jannah 500 years before the rich simply because the rich will be held up and made to account for their wealth.

So sister, the rich and practising will also go, after they have accounted for how, why and where they spent their wealth.

SalafiFemaleJih
04-18-2005, 09:39 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Kerned Indian
Asalamu Alaikum

I don't have the ref. but I know it goes like this. The poor will enter Jannah 500 years before the rich simply because the rich will be held up and made to account for their wealth.

So sister, the rich and practising will also go, after they have accounted for how, why and where they spent their wealth.
SubhanAllah...

I don wanna be rich I DON'T!!!!!! I wanna enter Jannah 500 years before the rich peeps inshaAllah :) :)

i'm not rich nor i'm poor i'm in between....but now i won't marry a doctor...my parents wants me to marry a freakin doctor or engineer.....just because i can send my kids off to private school!!! oh well I can home school my kids...by marrying a pious brother who is not that rich :D so we don't get accounted for all da freaking money inshaAllah....

If u are rich if u have ur own business...u think of gettin more into business to get more money...its always that way....I have some expirence on that issue subhanAllah.

sorry, I guess I'm off topic.

walaikum salaaaaaaaaaaam wr wb!!

Z
04-18-2005, 09:41 PM
Asalamu Alaikum

lolz

Ok, jazak Allah for that little insight of your compact life.

*charisma*
04-18-2005, 09:44 PM
Asalamu alaikum

wealth aint everythin, usually it is the wealthy that are blind and the poor who are the wisest....the only time i would wish to be rich is only the time when Allah has guided me to help guide others and to be able to travel and spread Islam would be a dream of mine mashallah.

but other than that i would like to say:

“Through Allah’s eyes we are all created equal, what sets us apart are our hearts; Through Allah’s eyes we are all created equal, what sets us apart is our faith;
Through Allah’s eyes we are all created equal, what sets us apart is eachother;
We think about money as luxury, yet no amount of money can buy what Allah has provided for us for free. We think about being rich in the eyes of people, but never do we think of looking rich in the eyes of Allah; for Allah doesn’t care what is in our pockets he cares what is in our hearts; Through Allah’s eyes, the richest man is the one with the purest heart. Through Allah’s eyes we were all created equal, what sets us apart is Islam."-me

u gain more gifts through being poor than u do being rich
u are more observant, patient, and more aware of the world around u, etc.
when u are rich u are selfish, blind, and dont care about the world around u except that u are high in the eyes of society.

if you want to be heard, dont raise ur voice, raise your wisdom and intelligience, raise ur faith, because in the end thats all that will be heard...

fi aman allah
w'salaam

SalafiFemaleJih
04-18-2005, 09:44 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Kerned Indian
Asalamu Alaikum

lolz

Ok, jazak Allah for that little insight of your compact life.
lol right now I really feel weird..... :-[

this is the first time i'm blushing after soo many days :D

walaikum salaam wr wb!!!

Z
04-18-2005, 09:47 PM
Asalamu Alaikum

Sister Charisma, masha Allah! Let's take a look at the arragont Kharun as a example. Allah gave him so much, and look how he ended. May we all learn from this insha Allah.

SalafiFemaleJih
04-18-2005, 09:56 PM
Asalamualaikum wr wb,

Hassan Al-Basry said, "I saw those people and how they were more careful about their time than about their Dirhams and Dinars (i.e. their money)."

“Let the rich man spend according to his means, and the man whose resources are restricted, let him spend according to what Allaah has given him…”[al-Talaaq 65:7]

And give to the kindred his due and to the Miskîn (poor) and to the wayfarer. But spend not wastefully (your wealth) in the manner of a spendthrift* . [Tafsir. At-Tabarî, Vol. 10, Page 158 (Verse 9: 60)]. (Qur'an 17:26)

walaikum salaam wr wb.

A7med
07-18-2005, 06:17 PM
one VERY VERY Far relative of mine won the lottery twice which was just over £5m .......but thank fully he lost the tickets both times ;D

but now MASHA'ALLAH he is practicing the deen :) :brother:

Muezzin
07-18-2005, 06:38 PM
Erm, this thread seems to have gone on a rich vs poor tangent. Now, it is well and good for your spiritual state to be poor, but that doesn't mean we should be striving to be poor. How would we provide for our families? 'Oh here you go, I found this in the gutter. Eat up!'

I think it's okay to have wealth so long as it is used responsibly in an Islamically acceptable manner.

That said, gambling is wrong and it was the correct decision to refuse the money.

Batoota
07-18-2005, 06:42 PM

Ma sha Allah sister- to refuse that money- I'm so proud of you right now!!
:applaud: :) :sister:

From Umar ibn Al-Khattab from the Prophet (sas) who said:

"If only you relied on Allah a true reliance, He would provide sustenance for you just as He does the birds: They fly out in the morning empty and return in the afternoon with full stomachs."
Ahmad, An-Nasaa’I, Ibn Majah, Al-Hakim and At-Tirmidhi who said: "Hassan sahih

One other thought:

3:92 By no means shall ye attain righteousness unless ye give (freely) of that which ye love; and whatever ye give, of a truth Allah knoweth it well.

.......but thank fully he lost the tickets both times
^ I think Allah saved him twice by letting him lose those tickets! Subhan Allah!!

Batoota
07-18-2005, 06:43 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muezzin
Erm, this thread seems to have gone on a rich vs poor tangent. Now, it is well and good for your spiritual state to be poor, but that doesn't mean we should be striving to be poor. How would we provide for our families? 'Oh here you go, I found this in the gutter. Eat up!'

I think it's okay to have wealth so long as it is used responsibly in an Islamically acceptable manner.

^ I agree. Did anybody hear that saying from Ali radiya Allahoo Anhoo that a wealthier Muslim is more benefit to the society than a poorer one? I would look for it right now, but I gotta go!!

minaz
07-18-2005, 06:48 PM
All this talk about it's "better to be rich than poor", is kinda related to - marxism

Muezzin
07-18-2005, 06:49 PM
And Marxism is kinda related to - Communism.

And Communism is kinda related to - Lenin.

And Lenin is kinda related to - Stalin.

And Stalin kinda looks like - Saddam.

If you squint.

minaz
07-18-2005, 06:50 PM
Law students can put spin on anything :p

Muezzin
07-18-2005, 06:51 PM
Truer words, Minaz. Truer words. :p

Abdul Fattah
06-08-2006, 01:42 PM
Does somebody know any source that says accepting this money would be haram?
I've read somewhere that:
Know that the attribute of legality and illegality is related to one who earns the money, and not the money itself.

source: http://www.islamweb.net/ver2/Fatwa/S...Option=FatwaId

it's the only source I could find about this

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.