/* */

PDA

View Full Version : converts or reverts?

alishba
03-06-2006, 07:23 PM
Can any1 explain to me why we call new muslims converts,everyone is born a muslim so how can they convert,isnt revert the word thats supposed to be used?:?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
abdul Majid
03-06-2006, 07:27 PM
salam alakum sis,

we are all born with the notion of there is one God, but parents of the child change them into a different faith, so therefore they are reverted backk to ISLAM.....and ALLAH(swt) knows best !:brother:

Andaraawus
03-06-2006, 07:27 PM
:sl:

i am a new convert al hamdu Lillah but every time i say the word convert almost instantly someone jumps on me (gives me a lechor)

no no kidding ...

its because of one hadith of the Holy Prophet saw where it is stated that every babay is born on fitra .... Muslims consider fitra to be Islam because Islam is the deen of nature (fitra)

the hadith later states that it is the parents that convert that child to a jew or a Christian ..

:w:

Kittygyal
03-06-2006, 07:34 PM
well i'll tell yea av CONVERTED it's jus 1 ov dem fings a guess

take care

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
itsme01
03-07-2006, 08:30 PM
it doesnt matter, revert or convert (althought technically its revert), as long as you have returned to the right path.

Snowflake
03-07-2006, 08:52 PM
Personally I like to use the phrase 'a new muslim' rather than revert or convert.. a muslim is a muslim. Period. 'Revert' is used when I'm too lazy to type 'a new muslim' lol. Still I don't like them labels as somehow seems like saying they havent achieved the status of being full muslims yet.. How awful!

btw, while we're on the topic, may I ask the new muslims if the prefer to be called, reverts or just muslims.. personally sometimes you have to say new muslim, especially for introduction purposes, so others know that you are still learning.. or do you not like that either? Plz say.. : )

czgibson
03-07-2006, 09:01 PM
Greetings,

I believe all babies are born without any notion of god, and it's a concept that's introduced to them later.

It's obviously impossible to prove either way. Each to their own I guess!

Peace

abdul Majid
03-07-2006, 09:03 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by czgibson
Greetings,

I believe all babies are born without any notion of god, and it's a concept that's introduced to them later.

Peace

impossible?? why???

children are born with a monotheistic view, a child always wonders that there is a higher force, or a creator !! until he or she is lied too !! by whatever circumstance

czgibson
03-07-2006, 09:17 PM
Greetings,
format_quote Originally Posted by abdul Majid
impossible?? why???
I say it's impossible to prove because you can ask a baby if it believes in god, but you probably won't get a meaningful answer...

children are born with a monotheistic view
How can you possibly know this?

Peace

abdul Majid
03-07-2006, 09:20 PM
Greetings,

I say it's impossible to prove because you can ask a baby if it believes in god, but you probably won't get a meaningful answer...

How can you possibly know this?

Peace
lol @ ask a baby!! ofcorse not
ask him or her when thier 2 or 3 or 4..lol now thats ok

there not born worshiping a stone, or a human, right??
they see the world a vast and incredible place right, until their views are corrupted

czgibson
03-07-2006, 11:31 PM
Greetings,
format_quote Originally Posted by abdul Majid
there not born worshiping a stone, or a human, right??
Well, it may be fair to say they're born worshipping their mother, who generally provides them with everything they need to survive. In fact, babies are thought to realise that they are an independent being separate from the mother only after a significant amount of time.

they see the world a vast and incredible place right, until their views are corrupted
Maybe so, but this doesn't strictly have anything to do with whether they're theists or not.

Peace

itsme01
03-07-2006, 11:36 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muslimah_Sis
Personally I like to use the phrase 'a new muslim' rather than revert or convert.. a muslim is a muslim. Period. 'Revert' is used when I'm too lazy to type 'a new muslim' lol. Still I don't like them labels as somehow seems like saying they havent achieved the status of being full muslims yet.. How awful!

btw, while we're on the topic, may I ask the new muslims if the prefer to be called, reverts or just muslims.. personally sometimes you have to say new muslim, especially for introduction purposes, so others know that you are still learning.. or do you not like that either? Plz say.. : )
new muslims? err...cant say that. But Muslims is the best word to describe reverts, rather than saying coverts,reverts,or new muslims - cuz afterall now they follow Islam and are muslims - and some have even more knowledge about islam than we do.

hidaayah
03-08-2006, 01:50 PM
the word revert is used because it is said in the quran that every child is born a muslim and its his parents who make him a christian or a jew or whatever ( i don't remember the exact ayah but i'll search and post inshallah)..
so when u become a muslim again u are infact reverting towards ur original deen..:).
and u can also refer to this thread..http://www.islamicboard.com/basics-i...rn-muslim.html
wallahu alam
wassalam

mahdisoldier19
03-08-2006, 01:53 PM
Greetings,

Peace

Actually a study was done, that proved that any child born without any Human intervention with their beliefs found that they believed in God and that they were following a majority of the Islamic principals for your information.

Sorry to dissapoint you

sargon
03-08-2006, 04:53 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by mahdisoldier19
Actually a study was done, that proved that any child born without any Human intervention with their beliefs found that they believed in God and that they were following a majority of the Islamic principals for your information.

Sorry to dissapoint you
You've stated this twice and I would really be interested in some sources for that information.

I naturally practiced some islamic values when it comes to morals and what not, things just sort of 'fit' when I reverted.

Also my friend's little brother used to sleep in the prostration position! Not using his hands to support himself but his head. I also used to do this when my questions got too much, it's actually quite relaxing.

I wouldn't be suprised if some things they naturally did but how could they pray without being taught?

:w:

czgibson
03-08-2006, 08:03 PM
Greetings,
format_quote Originally Posted by mahdisoldier19

Sorry to dissapoint you
I second the request for a source for this information.

Peace

north_malaysian
03-09-2006, 05:56 AM
Muslim belief all human being promised to god to be Muslim before they're born. But when they're born it's the parents would shape their babies either to be Muslims, atheists, jewish, christians, satanists or whatever.
For Muslims, if non Muslims converted to islam they are known as reverts to Islam.

Like Christians, all babies are born with original sin. They need Jesus salvation in order to be save. So anyone who believe in Jesus salvation are known as convert not revert. Unless he was born christian later convert to other religion and the reconvert back to Christianity.

Like czgibson, he use logic that baby cannot think how can they be Muslims. For him, when a person come to Islam, he's a convert not a revert.

Conclusion:- we have to accept that not all have the same beliefs like us and learn to respect their belief and vice versa.:)

usamuslimah64
03-09-2006, 06:30 AM
Salam alaykum,
:sl: The way it was explained to me, ( I was working with an Imam), is that we are all born in the state of Islam. The problem is, you are raised by whatever religon or lack of religon ur parents and family practice. The correct word is really revert as we came back to Islam...but, I don't think it really matters what its called, as long as u come to Islam..People really nitpick about small things, don't they? :-):w: :sister:
Sister Susan

czgibson
03-09-2006, 06:17 PM
Greetings,
format_quote Originally Posted by usamuslimah64
Salam alaykum,
:sl: The way it was explained to me, ( I was working with an Imam), is that we are all born in the state of Islam. The problem is, you are raised by whatever religon or lack of religon ur parents and family practice.
My parents are Christians yet I'm an atheist. I was classified as a Christian when I was younger but in fact I have never believed in god.

The correct word is really revert as we came back to Islam...but, I don't think it really matters what its called, as long as u come to Islam..People really nitpick about small things, don't they? :-):w: :sister:
Sister Susan
Regards from a relentless nitpicker!

Peace

usamuslimah64
03-20-2006, 05:21 AM
Salam Alaykum:sl: ...Well that just proves my point about nitpickers:-)
Wa Salaam:w: , Susan

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.