/* */

PDA

View Full Version : davinci code

alishba
03-06-2006, 07:28 PM
i heard its a relly good book,it has sumfing on about this lady who was always seen with jesus.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
The Ruler
03-06-2006, 08:11 PM
huh?? :? :confused:

:w:

MusLiM 4 LiFe
03-06-2006, 08:13 PM
i read a lil, didnt understand it n closed da book.. :P lol

czgibson
03-06-2006, 08:20 PM
Greetings,

'The Da Vinci Code' is an entertaining read with a gripping plot, but unfortunately the style it's written in is terrible.

It's about two people who stumble onto the "fact" that Jesus got married to Mary Magdalene and had children, descendants of whom apparently survive to this day. They manage this through cracking a series of codes, and learning details about Leonardo da Vinci, secret societies and the Holy Grail.

One thing to remember while you're reading it: this is not a history book!

Peace

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
firdous
03-06-2006, 08:24 PM
salamz this was my understanding too, that jesus got married and had children etc etc

does anybody know about the film and the court case etc ... somethign about the last chapter...

Kittygyal
03-06-2006, 08:43 PM
i would NOT dare ta read da book it's all a lie

take care

azim
03-06-2006, 09:14 PM
'The Da Vinci Code' is an entertaining read with a gripping plot, but unfortunately the style it's written in is terrible.
Yep, it's got a very cliched style of writing, an airport book, but a very good one.

i would NOT dare ta read da book it's all a lie
Most books are lies sister.

czgibson
03-06-2006, 09:36 PM
Greetings,
format_quote Originally Posted by azim
Yep, it's got a very cliched style of writing, an airport book, but a very good one.
It's a good read, but if you want to experience a good writing style then try George Orwell, Aldous Huxley or James Joyce instead.

Fiction, if it is really good fiction, consists of nothing but lies with the appearance of truth.

Peace

Kittygyal
03-06-2006, 09:40 PM

yea i knw bro day r exspecially diz one:X :hiding: :hiding: :hiding: :grumbling

take care

azim
03-06-2006, 11:11 PM
It's a good read, but if you want to experience a good writing style then try George Orwell, Aldous Huxley or James Joyce instead.
Yeah, they're all excellent authors. Definately in my favourities list, although I would Anthony Burgess and Margeret Atwood to it.
Fiction, if it is really good fiction, consists of nothing but lies with the appearance of truth.
Do you think so? I would have defined good fiction as lies based on a solid truth. Afterall, the most popular books are so popular because they ring true somewhere deep inside (with the exception the Da Vinci code, which is a bit like tabloid gossip on a Biblical scale).

Smok
03-06-2006, 11:19 PM
It is good book for lonely evening. But it is filled with errors and isn't very wise. Don't expect to much. It is worth to read but not worth to buy.

czgibson
03-07-2006, 04:06 PM
Greetings,
Yeah, they're all excellent authors. Definately in my favourities list, although I would Anthony Burgess and Margeret Atwood to it.
Anthony Burgess is another of my all time favourite authors. If you haven't already read it, I'd recommend seeking out The Kingdom of the Wicked - it's his novelisation of the early years of Christianity, and is well worth a read. Also, of course, there's Earthly Powers, which has the best opening sentence of any novel I can think of: "It was the afternoon of my eighty-first birthday, and I was in bed with my catamite when Ali announced that the archbishop had come to see me."

I've not read Margaret Atwood, but I've heard nothing but good reports, so I'll be sure to check out her work in the future.

Do you think so? I would have defined good fiction as lies based on a solid truth. Afterall, the most popular books are so popular because they ring true somewhere deep inside (with the exception the Da Vinci code, which is a bit like tabloid gossip on a Biblical scale).
Yes, that's certainly fair enough. Every novel, no matter how far-fetched, must have some relation to reality. Having said that, even if something in a novel feels particularly true, with very convincing characters, it's still a fiction. You can also find novels which have a historical basis, which are slightly different, but I still see fiction as essentially being an elaborate and highly developed form of lying. They often appear to contain truth, but ultimately any judgment on that truth is subjective - a character may appear convincing to one person but not to another, for example.

Peace

Musaafirah
03-07-2006, 05:14 PM
When i read the book... i got the idea that the author seems to have something against religion..full stop. But it did keep my attention..:rollseyes ..though i must say i prefer Anthony Horowitz books..:embarrass and wateva happenz to be a good read..

03-07-2006, 05:43 PM
^ i thought the same thing. it dus seem tht brown's got a knack of going against religon. but nonetheless it was an awesome book. it had some cool bit of adventure in it. n surprises r the best part if u ask me.

nimrod
03-08-2006, 01:45 AM
As it has been pointed out, it is an interesting book but not factual at all.

I don't know how the process they used could produce any thing factual.
Unless you had the original texts to work with, anything you did manage to come up with would be purely speculative.

Thanks
Nimrod

Duhaa
03-08-2006, 11:44 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by 08101990
^ i thought the same thing. it dus seem tht brown's got a knack of going against religon. but nonetheless it was an awesome book. it had some cool bit of adventure in it. n surprises r the best part if u ask me.

Yeah, its a case of you dont know whodunnit until the very end.
If you like suspense and action then this is a good read.
I know quite a lot of you have said its not but who says you have to believe the book?
Personally the idea of Jesus having a wife AND a kid isnt something I agree with anyway but the way Dan Brown writes the story makes it good, but thats my opinion. :)

03-08-2006, 01:57 PM
and i agree with u on that a 100%. :)

Muezzin
03-10-2006, 09:21 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by czgibson
Greetings,

Or even Stephen King, Rudyard Kipling or Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.

Or, hey, me!

I'm not sure I really want to read the 'Da Vinci Code'. From people who actually know their literature, all I've heard is that it is not very well written, but is quite entertaining. Kind of like Harry Potter in that sense.

And before I get pounced upon, I think the Potter books are very entertaining, and I can see why many like them, but the prose style isn't really anything to write home about.

Get it? Write home about?

Ha ha ha ha ..... erm.

03-10-2006, 11:02 AM
^ yea the writing style of Harry Potter isn't tht good. but da vinci code is better... but that's just my opinion.

strider
03-10-2006, 09:52 PM
Assalamu alaikum

The Da Vinci Code, in my humble opinion, is one of the best reads out there! It is thoroughly gripping from page one! I've read it and re-read it a couple of times and still can not get bored of it, even though i know what is going to happen next! Certainly a sign of an extremely talented author.

Dan Brown appears to enjoy merging the boundary of fact and fiction, in his works. This is more apparent in his other works, such as Angels and Demons.

Anyhow, for anyone who is interested to know what the hype is all about: The Da Vinci Code proposes that the much sought Holy Grail is not a cup (which Jesus is believed to have drank from at the Last Supper and later in which his blood was caught by Joseph of Arimathea at the crucifixion) but rather a sacred blood lineage which was passed on when Jesus married and had a child with Mary Magdalene and is protected by a real pagan-worshipping secret organistation, namely the Priory of Sion (keepers of the Grail.)

But remember: it is published under 'fiction'.

Ma'assalama

czgibson
03-10-2006, 10:06 PM
Greetings,
format_quote Originally Posted by Muezzin

Or, hey, me!
Yes, folks, it's true, Muezzin can write rings around the likes of Dan Brown. We'll have to press him to get on with that first novel...

I'm not sure I really want to read the 'Da Vinci Code'. From people who actually know their literature, all I've heard is that it is not very well written, but is quite entertaining.
I'd say it's definitely worth a go. Of course I'd rather most people were reading Shakespeare, Joyce or Chaucer for entertainment, but since that's unlikely to happen I'd happily recommend The Da Vinci Code.

Give it a go, Muezzin. I guarantee you'll be hooked within the first three chapters, slavishly following every detail with guilty pleasure...

Peace

Musaafirah
03-16-2006, 08:03 PM
chaucer is absolutely classic..from when english wasnt even standardised properly..so whats so interesting about his books? or were you being sarcastic? :?

Muezzin
03-17-2006, 06:14 PM
Greetings,

Yes, folks, it's true, Muezzin can write rings around the likes of Dan Brown. We'll have to press him to get on with that first novel...
Heh, I'm too used to short stories.

I'd say it's definitely worth a go. Of course I'd rather most people were reading Shakespeare, Joyce or Chaucer for entertainment, but since that's unlikely to happen I'd happily recommend The Da Vinci Code

Give it a go, Muezzin. I guarantee you'll be hooked within the first three chapters, slavishly following every detail with guilty pleasure...

Peace
Well, the last guilty pleasure book I read was 'Battle Royale'. That is just ludicrously entertaining! :D

Sister_6038
03-21-2006, 07:33 PM
it was an interesting book undeniably although i preferred his ANGELS and DEMONS more...it had more to it that i felt....

MinAhlilHadeeth
03-21-2006, 07:42 PM
Yeah, I found it quite offensive.. so I just closed the book.:)
:w:

MinAhlilHadeeth
03-21-2006, 07:43 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muezzin

Or, hey, me!

I'm not sure I really want to read the 'Da Vinci Code'. From people who actually know their literature, all I've heard is that it is not very well written, but is quite entertaining. Kind of like Harry Potter in that sense.

And before I get pounced upon, I think the Potter books are very entertaining, and I can see why many like them, but the prose style isn't really anything to write home about.

Get it? Write home about?

Ha ha ha ha ..... erm.
:giggling: :giggling: :giggling:

czgibson
03-21-2006, 08:21 PM
Greetings,
format_quote Originally Posted by ~Mu'MiNaH~
Yeah, I found it quite offensive.. so I just closed the book.:)
You found The Da Vinci Code offensive? Why?

(I found it offensive because of the atrocious writing style - did it get to you too?)

Peace

MinAhlilHadeeth
03-22-2006, 09:51 AM
Greetings,

You found The Da Vinci Code offensive? Why?

(I found it offensive because of the atrocious writing style - did it get to you too?)

Peace
Lol. Yeah it was the writing style!

Qurratul Ayn
03-22-2006, 12:00 PM
Assalamu Alaikum

I have never read the Da Vinci Code and I would like to because reading is a major hobby of mine, but I would like to know is it a good read? I had asked one of my fiends who had finished it said it was really good and I should read it but I would like to know my Muslim Brothers and Sisters views and here is a thread already for to post it in!;D

Assalamu Alaikum
Shakirah

Sis786
03-22-2006, 02:03 PM
Im reading this book now on about chapter 5 seems intresting though

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.