/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Lets stop gossip!

hidaayah
03-07-2006, 09:26 AM
Bismillah hir Rehman nir Rahim

Lets Stop Gossip !

Many Muslims show a great deal of piety by refraining from eating imported meats, especially tinned meat; they are very cautious about this matter for fear that it may have been slaughtered in a manner that goes against sharee’ah.

This is a commendable effort, but there are other kinds of meat which are so subtle that even the pious do not detect them and the cautious do not spot them.

The reason for that is that the meat which they want to avoid is visible and tangible, nothing is hidden from those who keep watch because the one who eats it will be seen doing so, whilst this is not the case with regard to the other, but both of them are described as eating.

Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“Would one of you like to eat the flesh of his dead brother?” (referring to human flesh, i.e., gossip). [al-Hujuraat 49:12]

Yes, this is what Allaah calls it:

“Would one of you like to eat the flesh of his dead brother?”

There is a great deal of evidence to show that it is haraam, to point out how dangerous it is and to demonstrate the abhorrence of being caught indulging in this sin.

It was narrated that Ibn Mas’ood said: “We were with the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) when a man got up and left. Immediately another man spoke disparagingly of him. The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said to him: ‘Clean between your teeth.’ He asked, ‘Why do I need to clean between my teeth? I have not eaten any meat.’ He said, ‘You have eaten your brother’s flesh.’” (Classed as saheeh by al-Albaani).

Note:
People are indulging in this sin, and there is no greater proof of that than the day-to day reality that we see. When one of those who feels protective jealousy with regard to the sacred limits of Allaah and does not want them to be violated, is denounced for this sin which may condemn them to Hell, he responds with the words that are on so many people’s lips: “Don’t you want us to talk at all?”

Subhaan Allaah, is their talk limited only to that which Allaah has forbidden to His slaves?

Whoever thinks about this response will see the extent to which the Muslim community is split apart instead of supporting one another.

It is as if we have not heard the words of the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him): “Whoever believes in Allaah and the Last Day, let him say something good or else let him keep silent.” (Narrated by al-Bukhaari, hadeeth 6135)

This is the response to what they say: it is not good to commit this major sin, so keep silent if you have nothing good to say. Whoever keeps quiet will be saved.

Question:

You may ask me
How come the righteous in particular fall into this sin?, despite the fact that they of all people should be furthest removed from it?

I say:
There are reasons why they fall into this sin, which they share in common with the rest of the people.

These include:

1- Being friendly and going along with one’s companions. He thinks that if he denounces them they will start to dislike him.

2- Wanting to get back to someone. The more angry one is with a person, the more he enjoys gossip about him.

3- Wanting to raise one’s own position by bringing others down and attacking their position.

4- Playing and joking; he may want to make others laugh by doing impressions of people.

5- Hasad (envy). If people are praising a man, he says, ‘There is such and such wrong with him, and I know him better than you do.’ He has no other way of getting at the person whom he envies apart from slandering and criticizing him.

6- Having too much free time and feeling bored, so that one can find nothing else to occupy one's time apart from mentioning people’s faults. This is because he is not using his time to worship Allaah. There are more obligatory duties than there is time to do them. The salaf used to say, “If you do not keep your nafs (self) busy, it will keep you busy.”

7- Trying to go along with one’s boss or manager in finding fault with an employee whom he does not like, in order to gain favour with him.

Think about it:
You mix with innumerable people, including relatives and friends, teachers and neighbours.

Beware lest tomorrow you see them standing with you before Allaah, and you see your friends and loved ones seeking redress for the slandering of their honour to which you subjected them.

Lets Stop Gossips & Pray :
"Oh my Lord! Forgive my sins and my ignorance and my exceeding the limits (boundaries of righteousness) in all my deeds and what you know better than I. O Allah! Forgive my mistakes, those done intentionally or out of my ignorance or (without) or with seriousness, and I confess that all such mistakes are done by me. Oh Allah! Forgive my sins of the past and of the future which i did openly or secretly. You are the One who makes the things go before, and You are the One who delays them, and You are the Omnipotent." (Bukhari, vol. , pp. 271, #407)

By: Badr al-Suhayl , Al-Bayaan magazine, issue #152, p. 138

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Umm Safiya
03-07-2006, 09:35 AM
:sl:

Jazak Allâhu khayr ukhti.. :) Very nice..

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.