/* */

PDA

View Full Version : UK Unveils US-styled Point-based Immigration System

sonz
03-07-2006, 04:22 PM
London, March 7, 2006 (IslamOnline.net & News Agencies) – Inspired by American and Australian models, Britain unveiled on Tuesday, March 7, a new controversial point-based immigration system designed to allow only skilled foreign workers into the country, drawing immediate criticism from immigrants' groups.

"Today's announcement sets out the government's policy to deliver a firm but fair, simpler, more transparent and more rigorous system which will benefit our economy and protect our borders," Reuters quoted Home Secretary Charles Clarke as saying.

He believes the new scheme would allow Britain to control immigration more effectively and crack down on illegal immigration.

"Crucially, it will allow us to ensure that only those people with the skills the UK needs come to this country while preventing those without these skills applying."

Under the new system, would-be immigrants from outside the European Union will have to apply for the right to work in Britain through embassies and consulates abroad to test their skills.

They will be given points based on their qualifications, work experience, language ability and age.

Those wishing to come and work in the UK will have to get a certain number of points to be considered for a visa.

The points system, first announced in February 2004, is expected to be put in place mid-2007.

Categories

Prime Minister Tony Blair said the new system would make it "easier and fairer" for them to work and study in Britain.

"I think this system will make a big difference," he said, adding "we have to protect ourselves against abuses."

Under the new scheme, potential immigrants would be divided into categories.

Highly skilled workers such as doctors, engineers and IT and financial experts will be able to come to Britain even if there was no job offer for them.

Skilled workers, like nurses, teachers and plumbers would be able to come to the country if they can plug shortage in the workforce.

Low-skilled workers will be allowed into the country to fill specific job vacancies for fixed periods on guarantees that they will leave at the end of their stay.

Students and temporary workers will be allowed entry for only a short time and if their home country has a formal agreement with Britain.

Abuse

The new scheme drew immediate rebuke from immigrants' groups.

Habib Rahman, chief executive of the Joint Council for the Welfare of Immigrants, said denying unskilled immigrants the chance to work legally in Britain could "create a workforce ripe for abuse by exploitative employers," according to the BBC News Online.

Danny Sriskandarajah, from the Institute from Public Policy Research, agreed.

He said that new system would only work if it was flexible enough to find the right workers for the right jobs.

The issue of immigration has taken central stage in several European countries with new legislations introduced to stem the flow of immigrants.

On Sunday, January 15, Pope Benedict XVI of the Vatican called for an end to discrimination against legal and illegal immigrants across Europe.

He told thousands of faithful gathered in St. Peter's Square that global migration had to be embraced as it developed respect for other cultures and creeds.

According to estimates recently published by the EU's statistics office Eurostat, immigration is holding off the demographic decline in Europe as the natural population growth is slowing across the 25-nation bloc.

All of Europe's heavyweights, except for France, now depend on immigration to keep their populations stable or growing.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
mizan_aliashraf
03-07-2006, 04:25 PM
Salam
Oh well about time wouldnt you say. I think the UK is overcrowded and a lot of the people who are living here are illegally raping the system of all its juice. Just look at the state of the NHS
Wassalam

sonz
03-08-2006, 09:02 AM
so u support this new immigration system???

that means anyone who is not skilled worker cant enter uk

sargon
03-08-2006, 10:48 AM
That would make sense wouldn't it? From the UK's point of view, why let people in that won't benefit the society?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
j4763
03-08-2006, 12:24 PM
Totally agree, why should the UK let in more immigrants that are going to do little to help maintain this country, and just sponge off tax payers!

We never should have opened our gates to spongers in the first place. Since the mass immigration into the UK started this once great country is now full of benefit claimers, which is bringing down our economy. So by only letting in the many skilled immigrants hopefully the economy will get better!

akulion
03-08-2006, 12:26 PM
UK and USA are out of my "immigration" or "visit" list as holiday destinations or places to live anyways - so no biggie

HeiGou
03-08-2006, 12:32 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by akulion
UK and USA are out of my "immigration" or "visit" list as holiday destinations or places to live anyways - so no biggie
So, are you borrowing someone else's Signature? I am trying to think who around here would write "AWAY FOR 15 DAYS TO REVISE FOR GMATS, EXAM ON 15th MARCH - MAKE DUA". By all means I will wish you luck - but for what? If you are not going to visit the US or the UK why take the GMATs?

akulion
03-08-2006, 12:36 PM
Im going to Canada for further studies lol

SuperJatt
03-08-2006, 12:42 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by sonz
so u support this new immigration system???

that means anyone who is not skilled worker cant enter uk
And thats a good thing. [MODERATOR'S COMMENT: While there are bad people that give negative impressions of all cultures and nations, we must remember that over-generalising of a whole group is unacceptable and unfair. This is racism and does not have a place on the forum.]

Nicola
03-08-2006, 02:16 PM
I guessed it would come to this sooner or later...

What about marriage....the partner who live in another country and wants to live in the UK..(arranged marriage) etc. Will the British partner have to live abroad instead?

Do you know if this law will apply to these couples also?

Ghazi
03-08-2006, 02:25 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by SuperJatt
And thats a good thing. Iraqis have run down my area, they are just losers, they look at women like they've never seen a women before. They should be sent back to Iraq, Saddam has gone now.
Salaam

I'm sickend by your racist remark, have you actually thought that they might have been born here.

j4763
03-08-2006, 03:02 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Nicola
I guessed it would come to this sooner or later...

What about marriage....the partner who live in another country and wants to live in the UK..(arranged marriage) etc. Will the British partner have to live abroad instead?

Do you know if this law will apply to these couples also?
I wouldn't of thought so?

mizan_aliashraf
03-08-2006, 03:16 PM
Peace to all
Can we please refrain from generalising people, or even racist remarks. My pint was that there are too many people in the UK and it is about time the government put a limit on it. There are people who were born and bred here and they are being marginalised and treated as second class citizens in favour of people who are coming into the country and abusing the system. In my opinion, this is the reason why we have racist groups and individuals such as the BNP

Ghazi
03-08-2006, 03:21 PM
Salaam

they are being marginalised and treated as second class citizens in favour of people who are coming into the country and abusing the system. In my opinion, this is the reason why we have racist groups and individuals such as the BNP
I don't agree with this people are treated the same, and the racist groups are here cause they're stupid people who can't see past skin colour.

mizan_aliashraf
03-08-2006, 03:24 PM
Salam
The typical racist is like you said, they cant see past skin colour.
But there are people who were born and bred here who are not getting the services they are entitled to and deserve from this country while they pay tax. The services they should have got are being given to people who generally dont need it and who are just in the country because nearly everything is free. The system has been abused so badly that it can hardly cope nowadays. This is filling such people with hate and driving them to racism

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.