/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Am i committing a sin?

Protected_Diamond
03-07-2006, 08:10 PM
:sl: warhmatulahi wabarakathu my brothers and sisters!

I just need your advice and help insha Allah, i've recently found a job (yipeee) but it's not all good because where i am going to be working (insha Allah) they listen to music 24/7 and im scared it might effect my imaan. It's a part time job so music shouldnt be pumping in my ears all day long but still there is always a possibility when the shataans around. :heated: :rant:

Am i committing a sin whilst working in such an environment? :? And how can i make sure my imaan stays strong insha Allah?

:w: warhmatulahi wabarakathu

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
------
03-07-2006, 08:11 PM
Erm i'm not an expert lol but i go to college and there they blast music out 24/7 trust me... lol i dnt no whether dat helped... :confused:

Protected_Diamond
03-07-2006, 08:13 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Pagal Kuri
Erm i'm not an expert lol but i go to college and there they blast music out 24/7 trust me... lol i dnt no whether dat helped... :confused:
:sl: warhmatulahi wabarakathu

seriously?? that's crazy talk!

How come the teachers allow students to listen to music and do their work? :?

IbnAbdulHakim
03-07-2006, 08:14 PM
:sl:

earplugs!!! lol jus kiddin, ask them to put em sum nasheeds lol (if only)

sis its up2u, personally i wud request no music to the boss and if he rejected my request then i would leave work and look elsewhere.

but thats just me, im a little extra lol

Hope Allah guides you sis

:w:

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Ghazi
03-07-2006, 08:14 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Proud ukht

I just need your advice and help insha Allah, i've recently found a job (yipeee) but it's not all good because where i am going to be working (insha Allah) they listen to music 24/7 and im scared it might effect my imaan. It's a part time job so music shouldnt be pumping in my ears all day long but still there is always a possibility when the shataans around. :heated: :rant:

Am i committing a sin whilst working in such an environment? :? And how can i make sure my imaan stays strong insha Allah?

Salaam

If you fear for your iman the best thing is too look else where

IbnAbdulHakim
03-07-2006, 08:15 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by islam-truth
Salaam

If you fear for your iman the best thing is too look somewhere
i agree but just maybe you can keep the job whilst you look elsewhere..... maybe that wud b ok...

Protected_Diamond
03-07-2006, 08:19 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Pr4sE

earplugs!!! lol jus kiddin, ask them to put em sum nasheeds lol (if only)

sis its up2u, personally i wud request no music to the boss and if he rejected my request then i would leave work and look elsewhere.

but thats just me, im a little extra lol

Hope Allah guides you sis

Lamo, it's a supermarket so i doubt very much they'll listen to me but jazahka Allah khair for the suggestion :) Ameen to the dua!

format_quote Originally Posted by islam-truth
Salaam

If you fear for your iman the best thing is too look somewhere

I gave my CV to everyone in town but noone got back to me, so this is my final chance and mum really wants me to work as well so im kinda stuck. I mean if it was up to me of course i would rather stay at home.

IbnAbdulHakim
03-07-2006, 08:25 PM
we all know the shaytaan attacks from the top,bottom, left and right!

sis i'll tell you wat i would do.
i would take it as a test from Allah, i would go to work everyday and pray to Allah (auzubillah himinash shaytuaanir rajeem) seek refuge sis!! stay strong and noway the devil can sway you into musik.

Allah will help you InshaAllah!

czgibson
03-07-2006, 08:26 PM
Greetings,

seriously?? that's crazy talk!

How come the teachers allow students to listen to music and do their work? :?

I always have music playing while I'm working on a computer. Always have, always will. Classical or instrumental music is especially good to work to.

I used to work in a place where they played music all day and it was annoying more than anything else. I think you'll just get sick of hearing the same songs again and again, and having an Islamic aversion to music I don't expect you'll be tempted to listen to more.

But hey, that's just me guessing.

Peace

Protected_Diamond
03-07-2006, 08:27 PM
we all know the shaytaan attacks from the top,bottom, left and right!

sis i'll tell you wat i would do.
i would take it as a test from Allah, i would go to work everyday and pray to Allah (auzubillah himinash shaytuaanir rajeem) seek refuge sis!! stay strong and noway the devil can sway you into musik.

Allah will help you InshaAllah!

Jazhka Allah khair Akhee, do you think it would be okay for me to do zhikar whilst the music is on? I'll try my best not to pay any attention to it but would i be allowed to recite the kalimah and stuff? :?

IbnAbdulHakim
03-07-2006, 08:29 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by czgibson
Greetings,

I always have music playing while I'm working on a computer. Always have, always will. Classical or instrumental music is especially good to work to.

I used to work in a place where they played music all day and it was annoying more than anything else. I think you'll just get sick of hearing the same songs again and again, and having an Islamic aversion to music I don't expect you'll be tempted to listen to more.

Peace
musik is an intoxicant which once gone inside your head is veeery difficult to get out. Let me ask you, do you suddenly start a tune in your head out of nowhere? that is one of the causes of this "intoxicant".

Protected_Diamond
03-07-2006, 08:32 PM
Greetings,

Peace
Hello Czgibson! :)

Aha! cool, i guess it's okay for you to listen to music but im sure you know a muslim doesn't listen to music, so that's why im a bit worried! Yeah i agree with you about music being annoying lol.

Peace!

Protected_Diamond
03-07-2006, 08:34 PM
musik is an intoxicant which once gone inside your head is veeery difficult to get out. Let me ask you, do you suddenly start a tune in your head out of nowhere? that is one of the causes of this "intoxicant".

yep!! Definiately i agree with you, when i wasn't practising i use to do that a lot, but Alhamdulilah now i've stopped i can focus on life more masha Allah! May Allah s.w.a give us all the taufeek to stop listening to music insha Allah! :happy:

czgibson
03-07-2006, 08:35 PM
Greetings,
If you mean when I compose music, yes, that's pretty much how it works.

If I've heard a tune recently or someone mentions some lyrics from a song then it might start going around my head for a bit. It's quite unusual for a tune to start playing in my head out of nowhere, although I can consciously will a tune to start playing in my head and then I'll have it as background music to whatever I'm doing.

I can play three instruments and I studied music up to A-level at school, so I guess you could say it's a pretty big part of my life.

Peace

Snowflake
03-07-2006, 08:39 PM

It would be better to find another job. But if the situation is dire and you cannot find another job, even after having tried, then it is no sin on you to work there, as it is not through your own choice you are listening to it. But if your situation allows then it is better to find employment elsewhere.

IbnAbdulHakim
03-07-2006, 08:39 PM

yep!! Definiately i agree with you, when i wasn't practising i use to do that a lot, but Alhamdulilah now i've stopped i can focus on life more masha Allah! May Allah s.w.a give us all the taufeek to stop listening to music insha Allah! :happy:

same here b4 practisin musik use to dominate my mind too much!!
thats wen i realised how much its affectin my thinking!!
so now gess what, its the recitation of the qur'an that comes into my mind out of nowhere hehe :okay: !!!

AlhAMDULLILAH!! Allah is the most merciful, the most beneficiant!!

Protected_Diamond
03-07-2006, 08:40 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muslimah_Sis
It would be better to find another job. But if the situation is dire and you cannot find another job, even after having tried, then it is no sin on you to work there, as it is not through your own choice you are listening to it. But if your situation allows then it is better to find employment elsewhere.

Jazahka Allah khair sis!!

I will carry on trying insha Allah, remember me in your duas insha Allah :rose:

IbnAbdulHakim
03-07-2006, 08:41 PM
Greetings,

If you mean when I compose music, yes, that's pretty much how it works.

If I've heard a tune recently or someone mentions some lyrics from a song then it might start going around my head for a bit. It's quite unusual for a tune to start playing in my head out of nowhere, although I can consciously will a tune to start playing in my head and then I'll have it as background music to whatever I'm doing.

I can play three instruments and I studied music up to A-level at school, so I guess you could say it's a pretty big part of my life.

Peace
hmm, next time a musical tune comes into your mind or even just the lyrics to a song you really like, just as a test, try your very best to sincerely get it out of your mind! Let me know how difficult you find it. It is my personal belief that a faaar more important thot is being blocked by those lyrics/music... a thot which could benefit you so greatly

PEACE BRO!!!

yasin
03-08-2006, 03:11 AM
why are people being pedantic?

If she shouldnt go for the job than perhaps she shouldnt walk out on to the street what with cars driving by with music on, or have a ringtone on her mobile phone..

Issa
03-08-2006, 03:23 AM
Greetings,

Peace
:sl: ,

I agree. I don't know where you live but the songs played in the grocery store here in the US isn't the real party stuff that is played on the radio. It's usually stuff called "easy listening". Real sappy stuff. Annoying! You won't get hooked trust me;D . If you do find yourself tempted look for another job.

Selising
03-08-2006, 03:32 AM
If u r focusing on doing something, other things will not effect your hearing. I don't know abt others but me, it works well. If I'm watching TV, don't ask me any question, I can't hear, unless I'm not so interested with the programme.

I used to go to supermarket that plays music 24/7, but I don't think I can hear any music excepts loud noises, don't know from where. It must be from the supermarket itself, where else? But my focus is on buying things not listening to anything. May be I'm so used to it or may be I'm just ignorant. I think I'm ignorant kind of person.

So many things that u cannot change in this world, so just ignore it. People have so many reasons and answers to our suggestions, so don't crack our head thinking of it. Pray to Allah that one day our ummah will be strong. Work it out, help those who want to make our ummah strong

Issa
03-08-2006, 03:33 AM
I just finished reading some of the last comments...
Allah knows best but from what I've read and heard it is not sinful to listen to music, sing, dance, or play... Of course, you have to be careful what you sing about or what music you listen to but otherwise it is ok. The Prophet (pbuh), allowed this in the masjid even (this is reported by Al-Bukhari if I'm not mistaken).

shanu
03-08-2006, 06:04 AM
salaam
not all music is haraam
music that talks about sex and cause excitement is haraam
but i have a bad feeling the place u are gg to work has that type of bad music. But dont worry, intention matters
U r not working there with the intention to listen to that music right?
So just concentrate on dhikr and avoid the music

Protected_Diamond
03-08-2006, 06:18 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Issa
I just finished reading some of the last comments...
Allah knows best but from what I've read and heard it is not sinful to listen to music, sing, dance, or play... Of course, you have to be careful what you sing about or what music you listen to but otherwise it is ok. The Prophet (pbuh), allowed this in the masjid even (this is reported by Al-Bukhari if I'm not mistaken).

Sis music is haraam! There's quite a few muslims who feel that music is allowed in Islam but it's definately not allowed

A quote from the Prophet Muhammad peace and blessings of Allah be upon him from the Hadith Shahih Al-Bukhari:

"There will be people of my Ummah who will seek to make lawful; fornication, wine-drinking and the use of ma'aazif (musical instruments)."

also evidence from the Quran shareef...

Surah Ahzab (Verse 4)

"Allah has not made for any man, two hearts in his body"

When Ibn Umar (May Allah be pleased with him) comments on this verse, he says that a heart that is full of Qur'an cannot be full of music. Truly, the words of Allah and the voice of Satan cannot co-exist in a single heart. Tis' hyprocritical! Nay, tis' a mockery of the highest order.

Surah Luqman (Verse 6)

But there are, among men, those who purchase idle tales, without knowledge (or meaning), to mislead (men) from the Path of Allah and throw ridicule (on the Path): for such there will be a Humiliating Penalty.

Sayydana Abdullah Ibn Masood was asked about the meaning of the verse to which he replied:

“I swear by Him besides whom there is no other God, that it refers to ghinaa (singing).”

Protected_Diamond
03-08-2006, 06:19 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Selising
If u r focusing on doing something, other things will not effect your hearing. I don't know abt others but me, it works well. If I'm watching TV, don't ask me any question, I can't hear, unless I'm not so interested with the programme.

I used to go to supermarket that plays music 24/7, but I don't think I can hear any music excepts loud noises, don't know from where. It must be from the supermarket itself, where else? But my focus is on buying things not listening to anything. May be I'm so used to it or may be I'm just ignorant. I think I'm ignorant kind of person.

So many things that u cannot change in this world, so just ignore it. People have so many reasons and answers to our suggestions, so don't crack our head thinking of it. Pray to Allah that one day our ummah will be strong. Work it out, help those who want to make our ummah strong

Jazahka Allah khair sister!! Alhamdulilah, that's very true insha Allah i'll stay focussed on the job rather than the music :rose:

aljawaad
03-08-2006, 06:21 AM
Sis in my opinion, you can start working but in the mean time you must look for another job. Once you find another one, you can leave your current job.

Allah knows best.

Protected_Diamond
03-08-2006, 06:23 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by aljawaad
Sis in my opinion, you can start working but in the mean time you must look for another job. Once you find another one, you can leave your current job.

Allah knows best.

Insha Allah will do :) and jazahka Allah khair for your concern akhee!

IbnAbdulHakim
03-08-2006, 10:24 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by yasin
why are people being pedantic?

If she shouldnt go for the job than perhaps she shouldnt walk out on to the street what with cars driving by with music on, or have a ringtone on her mobile phone..
bro you have stated two very different situations!
walking in the street and havin music played by some1 in a car is veeery temporary and extremely easy to ignore! There is noway that will effect us! As for ringtones, my one is the sound of a dart being thrown at a bulls eye! lol... music? LAA!!!! (no in arabic :p) so wat im sayin is musik that is in your ears and you cannot avoid (in homes/at work) may influence you badly!!! BELIEVE ME THIS IS NOT BEING PEDANTIC!!!

Allah knows best!

as fos sis ukht do what your heart feels right!! If it feels really wrong to keep working there then explain it to your mum and hope Allah guides you! But if your ok wiv it and u feel u can ignore it then all the best!!

:sl: :)

Mhd_ibn_Mhd
03-12-2006, 12:37 AM
You should look for another job, in the mean time stick with this one, with the advice a wise man once said:
Shaitan is always looking for an opening to get you.
Drive him away with Dhikr.
And Allah (s.w.t.) knows best

...Muhammad :shade:

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.