/* */

PDA

View Full Version : See How Did our prophet(PBUH) Do About Fun....!!!

salah
03-09-2006, 01:18 PM
Once Ali was sleeping on the ground and was covered with dust. Muhammad happened to pass that way and said to Ali, "up Abu Turab (father of dust)." After that, this became his nickname. Once Abu Hurairah was playing with a cat when Muhammad came along and said, "Abu Hurairah (father of cats)." This nickname was so dear to him that it became his real name, so that very few people know his own name. Ibn Umar was asked whether the Prophet's companions laughed and joked. He replied that they did, though faith weighed heavier than a mountain in their hearts. Bilal ibn Sa'd said that he had seen them running between the baths and laughing to one another but when night came, they would be like monks. Jarir ibn Somura said that the Prophet always welcomed him from the time he became a Muslim and that he never saw him without a smile.

... Source and for more ---http://www.pbuh.us/prophetMuhammad.php?f=Ch_Humour

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Maimunah
03-09-2006, 01:22 PM
mashaallah!!
its nice to hear that the prophet pbuh n his companions used to make jokes.
salaam

Mainul_Islam
03-10-2006, 12:46 AM
cool! :D

i once read something, a hadith i think... it wasnt a joke but it was funny..

i think it went like.. one day a companion of the Prophet (i think it was Abu Hurairah) was hiding under the Prophet's bed when the Prophet was talking to sum1 else in that room... and when Abu Hurairah got caught, he was asked "what are you doing?" and he replied that he loved listening to the Prophet so much so he even hid under the bed to listen :giggling:

^^ i dont think its accurate but i read something similar to that

zircon
04-29-2006, 06:37 AM
good to know that we dont have to be real serious to be a pious muslim..

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Muslim Soldier
04-29-2006, 06:51 AM
Its good to hear about our peophets humour. BUT I dont think this is authentic because in the quran Allah says do not give nicknames hence prophet would never do do!

extinction
04-29-2006, 03:03 PM
mashaallah!!

IceQueen~
05-03-2006, 12:17 PM
i read about a companion ('companions of the prophet' by abdul wahid hamid)
I think his name was nu'ayman (r) or something like that and he used to play jokes a lot, and the prophet (p) used to laugh with him.
:giggling:

IceQueen~
05-03-2006, 12:33 PM
once the prophet (p) was eating dates with ali (r) and when he (p) finished, he put all his pips in front of ali (r) and commented 'look how many dates you've eaten' ali (r) replied that he (prophet) had even eaten his pips..

joking in this way was okay because the rest of the companions present knew what was going on so it wasn't a lie.

- Qatada -
05-03-2006, 03:24 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muslim Soldier
Its good to hear about our peophets humour. BUT I dont think this is authentic because in the quran Allah says do not give nicknames hence prophet would never do do!

:salamext:

O ye who believe! Let not some men among you laugh at others: It may be that the (latter) are better than the (former): Nor let some women laugh at others: It may be that the (latter are better than the (former): Nor defame nor be sarcastic to each other, nor call each other by (offensive) nicknames: Ill-seeming is a name connoting wickedness, (to be used of one) after he has believed: And those who do not desist are (indeed) doing wrong.
(Qur'an 49:11)

The Prohibition of mocking and ridiculing One Another

Allah the Exalted forbids scoffing at people, which implies humiliating and belittling them. In the Sahih, it is recorded that the Messenger of Allah said,

«الْكِبْرُ بَطَرُ الْحَقِّ وَغَمْصُ النَّاس»

(Arrogance is refusing the truth and belittling people.) And in another Version

«غَمْطُ النَّاس»

(And despising people) It is forbidden to scoff at and belittle people, for the injured party could be more honored and dearer to Allah the Exalted than those who ridicule and belittle them. This is why Allah the Exalted said,

[يأَيُّهَا الَّذِينَ ءَامَنُواْ لاَ يَسْخَرْ قَوْمٌ مِّن قَوْمٍ عَسَى أَن يَكُونُواْ خَيْراً مِّنْهُمْ وَلاَ نِسَآءٌ مِّن نِّسَآءٍ عَسَى أَن يَكُنَّ خَيْراً مِّنْهُنَّ]

(O you who believe! Let not a group scoff at another group, it may be that the latter are better than the former. Nor let (some) women scoff at other women, it may be that the latter are better than the former.) thus, stating this prohibition for men and then women. The statement of Allah the Exalted,

[وَلاَ تَلْمِزُواْ أَنفُسَكُمْ]

(Nor defame yourselves,) forbids defaming each other. He among men who is a slanderer, and a backbiter, is cursed and condemned as Allah states

[وَيْلٌ لِّكُلِّ هُمَزَةٍ لُّمَزَةٍ ]

(Woe to every Humazah, Lumazah)(104:1) Hamz is defamation by action, while Lamz is by words. Allah the Exalted and Most Honored said,

[هَمَّازٍ مَّشَّآءِ بِنَمِيمٍ ]

(Hammaz (defaming), going about with slander.) (68:11) meaning, he belittles and defames people, transgressing and spreading slander among them, which is the Lamz that uses words as its tool. Allah's statement here,

(Nor defame yourselves,) just as He said in another Ayah,

[وَلاَ تَقْتُلُواْ أَنفُسَكُمْ]

(Nor kill yourselves) (4:29), meaning, nor kill one another. `Abdullah bin `Abbas, Mujahid, Sa`id bin Jubayr, Qatadah and Muqatil bin Hayyan said that the Ayah,

(Nor defame yourselves,) means, none of you should defame each other,' while,

[وَلاَ تَنَابَزُواْ بِالاٌّلْقَـبِ]

(nor insult one another by nicknames.) means, `you should not address people by nick names that people dislike.' Imam Ahmad recorded that Abu Jabirah bin Ad-Dahhak said, "This Ayah was revealed about us, Banu Salamah;

(nor insult one another by nicknames.) When the Messenger of Allah migrated to Al-Madinah, every man among us had two or three nicknames. When the Prophet called a man by one of these nicknames, people would say, `O Allah's Messenger! He hates that nickname.' Then this Ayah,

(nor insult one another by nicknames.) was revealed.'' Abu Dawud also collected this Hadith. The statement of Allah the Exalted and Most Honored,

[بِئْسَ الاسْمُ الْفُسُوقُ بَعْدَ الايمَانِ]

(Evil is the name of wickedness after faith), means, the names and descriptions of wickedness are evil; meaning, `to use the nicknames that were used by the people of Jahiliyyah, after you embraced Islam and understood it,'

[وَمَن لَّمْ يَتُبْ]

(And whosoever does not repent,) means, from this sin,

[فَأُوْلَـئِكَ هُمُ الظَّـلِمُونَ]

(then such are indeed wrongdoers.)

source: http://www.tafsir.com/default.asp?sid=49&tid=49801

:wasalamex

Muslimaatan
05-04-2006, 02:57 AM
wow..Mashaa'Allah..

Muslim Soldier
05-04-2006, 12:43 PM
Fi_Sabilillah's post I guess my doubt was true that the first tradition is not true?

- Qatada -
05-04-2006, 12:53 PM
Fi_Sabilillah's post I guess my doubt was true that the first tradition is not true?

:salamext:

Nope, its alright to give people nicknames - as long as they don't find it offensive etc. And the sahabah (companions) of our beloved Prophet Muhammad sal Allaahu alayhi waSalam never found them nicknames offensive, otherwise they would mention that. :)

:wasalamex

Muslim Soldier
05-04-2006, 01:06 PM
well father of cats sounds somehow insulting.
Are you sure the prophet gave him the nichname and not someone else?

Muslim Soldier
05-04-2006, 01:14 PM
To be given a name is indeed a great honour but the question is would the holy prophet give a nickname?

Far7an
05-04-2006, 01:33 PM
To be given a name is indeed a great honour but the question is would the holy prophet give a nickname?
It is a kunya, not so much nickname. The prophet did not give Abu Hurayra this name, although he did give many companions a kuniya. He was known as Abu Hurayra from a young age, because of his love for Cats. It is not insulting at all.

afriend
05-04-2006, 01:36 PM
LOL

Mashallah.....how cool is that eh? :)

Muslim Soldier
05-04-2006, 02:10 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Far7an
It is a kunya, not so much nickname. The prophet did not give Abu Hurayra this name, although he did give many companions a kuniya. He was known as Abu Hurayra from a young age, because of his love for Cats. It is not insulting at all.
Well the hadith says that the prophet gave that nickname/kuniya and you say that he was known as such from before.

Which is which?

IceQueen~
05-05-2006, 10:10 AM
well father of cats sounds somehow insulting.
Are you sure the prophet gave him the nichname and not someone else?
whoever gave him the nickname- why should it be insulting if it is only meaning to show his love for kittens-which he did love, so why should he be insulted with such a nickname?:?

------
05-05-2006, 10:12 AM
Maaaaaaaaaannnnnnnoooooooooooooooooo where r uuuuuuuuuu

IceQueen~
05-05-2006, 10:14 AM
hey iffy-where are you? i'm in the library (LRC):happy:

IceQueen~
05-05-2006, 10:18 AM
how old r u gonna be then? date -:? 24th? hmm..

Ayesha Rana
05-05-2006, 10:24 AM
Assalamu-alaikumwa rahmatullahi wa barakaatu

Just because something may sound insulting in English doesn't mean it does in Arabic which is a completely different language and I think 'Abu Hurairah' sounds beautiful.

IceQueen~
05-05-2006, 10:25 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ayesha Rana
Assalamu-alaikumwa rahmatullahi wa barakaatu

Just because something may sound insulting in English doesn't mean it does in Arabic which is a completely different language and I think 'Abu Hurairah' sounds beautiful.
ur so right 'dayd';D

جوري
11-07-2010, 04:09 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Far7an
Hurayra

huryra really means kitten not a cat in Arabic..
It is the cutest 'kunya' ever, so tender..

:w:

GuestFellow
11-09-2010, 12:36 AM
:sl:

Are there any more stories like these?

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.