/* */

PDA

View Full Version : How do you think nonmuslims view muslims?

renak
03-09-2006, 06:40 PM
I am interested in the opinions of muslims in the USA, in regard to how they feel nonmuslims view them. Any thoughts?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Maimunah
03-09-2006, 07:15 PM
yeah i also like to know that too.
allah is our pretector n maula!
salaam

Habib_Islam
03-09-2006, 08:16 PM
Living in the UK i see the media has painted a false picture of Islam to the non Muslims. The non Muslims need to recognise you cannot judge Islam on actions of a minority of few so called Muslims. The genrel thought of a Muslim from a Kafir is "Terrorism" Thats what i have been told by Non Muslim friends and others what are your views ?

Protected_Diamond
03-10-2006, 04:45 PM
Freedom fighters :happy:

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Lush
03-10-2006, 10:26 PM
Well, personally, I became interested in Islam when I began seeing a man of Middle Eastern origin. We fell in love, and I wanted to find out as more as I could about his roots. Meanwhile, he is learning Russian and Ukrainian for me. So that worked out pretty well.

I've met different Muslims. Muslims who called me a "Ukrainian w#@%$," and Muslims who have welcomed me into their homes with open arms.

Above all else, Muslims, to me, are human beings with individual quirks. Though, like with any group, some quirks I tend to like more than others. The "w#@%$" thing, for example, I could really do without. Stuff happens, though. I would never judge a billion people because of my bad experiences.

strider
03-10-2006, 10:51 PM
I honestly believe, as Islam continues to be in the spotlight more frequently, people who have previously never heard of Islam or have never come into contact with a Muslim thinking it to be cultural or tribal religion reigning in the deserts of Arabia only,are taking it upon themselves to discover what Islam really stands for. I live in the UK and before 9/11 my non-Muslim neighbours never enquired about the faith of my immediate family who are practicing Muslims. After that, people did start asking and enquiring about Islam,and the more they understood the more tolerant they became. More and more non-Muslims are beginning to understand that Muslims are not all fanatics calling for the death of non-Muslims that are beemed so often into our living rooms.

Alhamdullilah.

irsha
03-17-2006, 02:40 PM
With suspicion. Most of the worlds wars, terrorism and extreme violent protests (cartoons) seem to involve muslims. There is a definate PR problem.

Muezzin
03-18-2006, 05:02 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by irsha
With suspicion. Most of the worlds wars,
Including those dreadful, cripling affairs in the early twentieth century? ;)

terrorism and extreme violent protests (cartoons) seem to involve muslims. There is a definate PR problem.
There I agree, there is a PR problem.

Kittygyal
03-18-2006, 05:25 PM
well at the end of the day there are some christians that think muzlims are terrorist where as lets think what do muzlims think about christians...:rollseyes

take care

Muezzin
03-18-2006, 05:30 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by islamgyal
well at the end of the day there are some christians that think muzlims are terrorist where as lets think what do muzlims think about christians...:rollseyes

take care
I think Christians are a good people, just as I think Hindus and Sikhs and Jews are all good people for the most part.

You do get the odd turdbrain who uses religious pretenses to fulfill his own sadistic fantasies though, out of every religion on this planet.

Heh, I wonder how long it'll take before someone says 'Oh but bro, u shud HATE da Jewz, it sez so in da QURAN, in dis verse wot I rd out of context!'

Kittygyal
03-18-2006, 05:33 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muezzin
I think Christians are a good people, just as I think Hindus and Sikhs and Jews are all good people for the most part.

You do get the odd turdbrain who uses religious pretenses to fulfill his own sadistic fantasies though, out of every religion on this planet.

Heh, I wonder how long it'll take before someone says 'Oh but bro, u shud HATE da Jewz, it sez so in da QURAN, in dis verse wot I rd out of context!'
but at the end of the day they are still ''humans'' tho:rollseyes

Muezzin
03-18-2006, 05:35 PM
but at the end of the day they are still ''humans'' tho:rollseyes
Yep. I dislike this attitude that we should hate an entire group of people just because 'hey, everyone else does!', or worse yet, on logic based upon a flawed interpretation of Quranic verse.

Kittygyal
03-18-2006, 05:37 PM
Yep. I dislike this attitude that we should hate an entire group of people just because 'hey, everyone else does!', or worse yet, based upon a flawed interpretation of Quranic verse.
god brought them on the earth so why should we hate them there humans like us they eat,sleep etc at the end of the day we should love every religion:rollseyes

take care

Muezzin
03-18-2006, 08:42 PM
god brought them on the earth so why should we hate them there humans like us they eat,sleep etc at the end of the day we should love every religion:rollseyes

take care
I agree with you.

The people I disagree with are the ones who say we should hate them.

But on topic, non-muslims probably view Muslims with something approaching hatred, due to the negative press. It also doesn't help that certain Muslims don't do much to improve our reputation, as those particular Muslims act like butts and kill people.

Kittygyal
03-18-2006, 09:31 PM
I agree with you.

The people I disagree with are the ones who say we should hate them.

But on topic, non-muslims probably view Muslims with something approaching hatred, due to the negative press. It also doesn't help that certain Muslims don't do much to improve our reputation, as those particular Muslims act like butts and kill people.

that is so true bro no wonder the christians call muzlims ''terrorist'' obviously because some muzlim's show a bad example but am NOT saying all muzlim's do that there are some that are not like that where as there are some that just get over the limit!

may god help them and lead the to the right path amin!

take care

strider
03-18-2006, 10:58 PM
Assalamu alaikum sister islamgyal,

When you say 'we must love all religions', i disagree. How can you love a faith which has values totally contradicting your beliefs? I don't think it is love we should have for other faiths (thats rather absurd) but moreso tolerance. As Allah states in the Quran regarding belivers of other faiths: 'i shall not worship what you worship nor shall you worship what i worship. to you is your way and to me is mine.'

Ma'assalama

Lush
03-19-2006, 04:45 AM
'i shall not worship what you worship nor shall you worship what i worship. to you is your way and to me is mine.'
That's one of my favourite Quranic quotations by far. :)

nimrod
03-20-2006, 02:01 AM
Folks I don't mean to seem like I am picking on anyone or any faith and the title of this thread is asking for Muslim opinions, but I can offer a little insight from a non-Muslim perspective.

I believe most folks are, by and large, good folks. When people speak about all Muslims being bad people they ignore that statement.

To say Islam is good or bad because of the way some act is not correct. Most folks are good and will act good. Some folks are bad and will act bad. Both will happen regardless of faiths.

Here in the USA when the white supremacist (Arian nation) march there are people from all faiths, and also no faiths at all, that turn out to tell those people they are wrong.

I don’t see the same reaction from Muslims, when the fundamentalist/extremist carrying out the acts they do. (Perhaps I shouldn’t mix the two but I started a thread on this message board asking about the difference and I received no replies, so I assume there is no difference).

What I see is that Islam is doing very little to stop the bad element that claims to be Islam, all the while shouting death threats to those who step in to do the job.

I hope I haven’t been rude in my reply.

Thanks
Nimrod

Safa
03-20-2006, 03:01 AM
I don’t see the same reaction from Muslims, when the fundamentalist/extremist carrying out the acts they do. (Perhaps I shouldn’t mix the two but I started a thread on this message board asking about the difference and I received no replies, so I assume there is no difference).

What I see is that Islam is doing very little to stop the bad element that claims to be Islam, all the while shouting death threats to those who step in to do the job.
When you ask any Muslim, many will tell you that they condemn violence, terrorist activities. I don't know what you asked in your thread cause I haven't come across it yet, but nonetheless, it isn't easy for an individual to go around and condemn such acts when there are so many misconceptions floating around amongst non-muslims.

But other than that, many Muslim scholars have already condemned terrorism and violence so I don't see why this isn't enough for you. Instead of bashing Muslims maybe people should be more tolerant and try to understand what Islam is really about by doing some research, being open minded and obeservant of Muslims living around them.

To answer this thread's question, most non-muslims, including Christians, Jews,Hindus,and Sikhs I have been in contact with are good people. Those who know me personally don't express their hateful views but are rather understanding and friendly.

:w: and Peace.

snakelegs
03-20-2006, 04:33 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Lush
That's one of my favourite Quranic quotations by far. :)
yes. also "there is no compulsion in religion"

abdul Majid
03-20-2006, 04:35 AM
are you being sarcastic??

Lush
03-20-2006, 04:41 AM
Who? Me? Er, no.

snakelegs
03-20-2006, 04:51 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by abdul Majid
are you being sarcastic??
absolutely not!
he is saying you should not force your religion on anyone else. i think that's pretty enlightened.

cleo
03-20-2006, 04:58 AM
If I tell a person(s), I am muslim, they just drop their jaw, and stare...
I am Swedish, and they can't figure that out, so I explain; we serve the same God don't we? And they can't deny that, and most of them say, the Arab's didn't hurt anyone. It is all lies.
So, I have come to the conclusion that, most people don't believe the media hype, they feel it is necessary to further their war.
It is meant to make the Muslims feel like terrorists, but actually it is working the other way. I really don't think the people believe anything the media says anymore. The bad always, turns like a worm, to the good..

abdul Majid
its cool im just playin

abdul Majid
format_quote Originally Posted by cleo
If I tell a person(s), I am muslim, they just drop their jaw, and stare...
I am Swedish, and they can't figure that out, so I explain; we serve the same God don't we? And they can't deny that, and most of them say, the Arab's didn't hurt anyone. It is all lies.
So, I have come to the conclusion that, most people don't believe the media hype, they feel it is necessary to further their war.
It is meant to make the Muslims feel like terrorists, but actually it is working the other way. I really don't think the people believe anything the media says anymore. The bad always, turns like a worm, to the good..

lol true

Ummu Amatullah
03-20-2006, 05:10 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by renak
I am interested in the opinions of muslims in the USA, in regard to how they feel nonmuslims view them. Any thoughts?
Hi Sis,
Well, surprisingly enough this is a difficult question since there's alot of Christians who think negatively about Islam and there's also others who think positevely of Islam.From the ones who have a negative image of Islam they basically think that Islam is a harsh,cruel,relentless religion.They think it's a religion of bloodshed and war,but the truth is actually the opposite the meaning of Islam is Peace and the greeting amongst Muslims is :sl: then :w:
You'll see the word salam(peace) in both of those words.Walahi it's not up to me to blame these people,they seriously want to learn more about Islam.There're always asking questions like why do women wear the Jilbab?They don't just come to you and say,"Oh,Islam is so oppressive since it makes women cover their bodies."No,they want to actually take the time to learn what you're all about since the Majority of the American people don't even trust the American media.If you give them a good reply they come up with more and you'll just have such a good time teaching and informing that person.There's absolutely no wonder why Islam is the fastest growing religion in America.

The only misconceptions that most of the American people have about Islam are terrorism,and women's rights.Those are the 2 main subjects the American media bases all their focus on while talking about Islam.So of course the people would want some clearification of that.Praised be to Allah the Muslim sisters and brothers have done such a great job by clearing up such misconceptions and the Muslim Americans have demonstrated time and time again the aspects of peace in Islam by many of our conventions,peaceful rallies,sessions,media,and our behavior towards one another.There was actually a sister a few weeks ago who converted just because she saw 2 muslim men greet each other with salam,kiss each other,laugh with each other,and hug each other.She started to cry and said that the site of those 2
men demonstrated the real meaning of brotherhood and she was just so amazed that Islam taught it's followers such a unique way of bonding and showing kindness.

irsha
03-21-2006, 01:32 AM
I think most muslims are ok, but Islam is something I would be horrified to see take over my country, in fact, if that ever happened I would have to leave.

snakelegs
03-21-2006, 01:39 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by irsha
I think most muslims are ok, but Islam is something I would be horrified to see take over my country, in fact, if that ever happened I would have to leave.
me too!!!

Knut Hamsun
03-21-2006, 01:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by irsha

snakelegs:
me too!!!
Me three!!! And my apostate girlfriend!

yasin
03-21-2006, 02:02 AM
because of many many moronic so called 'Muslims' non Muslims generally view us as:

1- brainwashed
2- savage
3- unsociable
4- ruthless
5- backward in thinking
6- superstitious
7- forced marriage loving
8- women opressing

Knut Hamsun
03-21-2006, 02:11 AM
While I wouldn't agree with all of those myself, I think many people do think that.
But I think the most off-putting thing I have discovered about the muslims I know or have "posted with" is their insistence that their way is the only way. If muslims could only try to see how they look when they say things that imply that "our way is the only true path", they might start to figure out why some people are intolerant of them. Western tolerance for Islam has been met with arrogance and intolerance, IMO.
Just my $ .02 .

north_malaysian
03-21-2006, 07:01 AM
I think American Non Muslims should be like European Non Muslims because they are more tolerant and understand more about Islam. Especially the Spaniards and Swedes.

snakelegs
03-21-2006, 07:19 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Knut Hamsun
But I think the most off-putting thing I have discovered about the muslims I know or have "posted with" is their insistence that their way is the only way. If muslims could only try to see how they look when they say things that imply that "our way is the only true path", they might start to figure out why some people are intolerant of them.
i am very put off by anyone who says their way is the only way. i've heard this all my life from christians. it seems a very disrepectful and arrogant attitude.

irsha
03-21-2006, 12:21 PM
Yasin, you said it, and you can add intolerant to that, as well as untrustworhty- we trust you to come to our countries, that trust is betrayed by terrorism, attempts to change our laws and untruths about swearing alleigances.

HeiGou
03-21-2006, 12:25 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by north_malaysian
I think American Non Muslims should be like European Non Muslims because they are more tolerant and understand more about Islam. Especially the Spaniards and Swedes.
For which European Muslims have rioted in France, blown up buses and trains in Britain, France and Spain, incited hatred of their fellow country-men in Denmark, and provided dozens of recruits for Jihadi groups all over the world.

The European model for dealing with Muslim minorities is dead. The American one, which is more tolerant in certain respects, looks better and better all the time.

There is no non-Muslim country that deals with its Muslim minority effectively except perhaps China - they shoot them if they complain. No one would want that as a model.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.