/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Origin of # zero

Malsidabym
03-10-2006, 04:41 PM
I have heard many times on these forums claims that muslims invented mathmatics. It is important to realize that there are many types, levels, methods, etc, of mathmatics, and there is not one, but many origins of mathmatics.
It would take a very long thread to discuss all origins of all mathmatics, therefore I will only discuss the number zero.
Zero was independently invented three times. The first zero is attributed to the Babylonians(Iraq) in the 3rd century BC.
The Mayans, halfway around the world in Central America, independently invented zero in the fourth century.
In India around the middle of the fifth century, once again the zero is born. It spread to Cambodia around the end of the 7th century. From India it moved into China and then to the Islamic countries. Zero finally reached western Europe in the 12th century.
The Babylonians used a sexigesimal number system, they counted in 60s. They scratched wedges and crescents in different patterns on damp clay tablets to make numbers from 1 to 59. A placeholder was required and originally a blank space was used, but this lead to problems and then a sideways double wedge was used.
The zero as we know it was still not in existence though as they only used it for a placeholder. There still was no "zero". For example, in recording inventory, they would write"15 minus 15" to represent nothing, or simply write "the goods are exhausted".
Islam was founded around 600AD by the prophet Muhammed, this placeholder was invented in the 3rd century BC, therefore the zero placeholder was invented by arabs, not muslims.
The zero as is commonly used as a number and placeholder in calculations and formulas in the world today, was developed by the mathmaticians of India in the fifth century.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Muezzin
03-10-2006, 07:21 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Malsidabym
I have heard many times on these forums claims that muslims invented mathmatics. It is important to realize that there are many types, levels, methods, etc, of mathmatics, and there is not one, but many origins of mathmatics.
True.

I'm pretty sure algebra was invented by Muslims, seeing as the word 'algebra' comes from 'Al Jibr', or something like that.

Malsidabym
03-10-2006, 09:55 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muezzin
True.

I'm pretty sure algebra was invented by Muslims, seeing as the word 'algebra' comes from 'Al Jibr', or something like that.
Yes, you are right about the origin of the word algebra, the spelling is al-jabr.
The first writings and algebraic formulas were devised by Diophantus of Alexandria(Egypt) in the 3rd century AD.

Religion in Egypt at this time was a strange combination of ancient Egyptian mythology (ie. Ra sun-god), worship of deities in animal form (ie. cats, hawks, bulls), and greek, Jewish, and christian concepts. A lot of influence was due to the fact that Egypt was a roman province at this time.

Again though, islam was not founded yet for a few hundred years, so algebra is an arab invention, not a muslim invention. Perhaps some credit could go to egyptian mythology(joking).

Algebra was brought from ancient Babylon, Egypt and India to Europe via Italy by the Arabs.

strider
03-10-2006, 10:03 PM
Assalamu alaikum

I'm sorry people, but i fail to grasp why so many people jump up and down and boast on and on about geniuses who invented things and who happened to be Muslim too? How it got to do anything with faith?

Ma'assalama

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Khaldun
03-10-2006, 10:07 PM
:sl:

I fail to see the point of this thread. What if it wasnt discovered by muslims as you claim? So what?

czgibson
03-10-2006, 10:10 PM
Greetings,
format_quote Originally Posted by strider
Assalamu alaikum

I'm sorry people, but i fail to grasp why so many people jump up and down and boast on and on about geniuses who invented things and who happened to be Muslim too? How it got to do anything with faith?

Ma'assalama
I think it's mainly to do with responding to the frequent accusations that "Muslims have never invented anything", "Muslims know nothing about science" or "Muslims have never contributed anything useful towards civilization". As every educated person knows, these claims are wholly untrue.

Peace

Malsidabym
03-10-2006, 10:11 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by strider
Assalamu alaikum

Ma'assalama
I agree.

For my part, I am responding to statements made, and pointing out what really happened. If a muslim invented it then I will say a muslim invented it. If a Hare Krishna invented it then I will say that a Hare Krishna invented it.

I do agree though, it doesn't really matter who invented what.

Malsidabym
03-10-2006, 10:16 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Khaldun

I fail to see the point of this thread. What if it wasnt discovered by muslims as you claim? So what?
What is the point of any of these threads? Conversation. We are here to discuss. You say one thing, I may say another. I may agree. The point of this thread is to discuss. Someone has stated something, and I have set the record straight.
You could go through most of these threads and ask the same question. But then why have a forum at all? What is the point of this forum?
I think you may just have gotton your back up because you don't like what I have said.

Malsidabym
03-10-2006, 10:17 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by czgibson
Greetings,

I think it's mainly to do with responding to the frequent accusations that "Muslims have never invented anything", "Muslims know nothing about science" or "Muslims have never contributed anything useful towards civilization". As every educated person knows, these claims are wholly untrue.

Peace
Agreed.

Khaldun
03-10-2006, 10:26 PM

I think you may just have gotton your back up because you don't like what I have said.
lol sure :rollseyes

but tell me, if we determined muslims didnt invent this will it bring any benefit to you or me?

Malsidabym
03-10-2006, 10:59 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Khaldun

lol sure :rollseyes

but tell me, if we determined muslims didnt invent this will it bring any benefit to you or me?
No, of course not, just like many of the topics in here. Some are beneficial, some are not. There could be one small benefit, knowledge, which lends credibility. If a member of the forum learns a truth, he can then debate on these forums and out in the real world with some credibility. If you are debating with a friend and you say "muslims invented cottoncandy", and he knows different, you lose credibility. So, in the short-term there is no benefit, but perhaps later...

Khaldun
03-11-2006, 08:09 AM

Okay then good luck in the long time benefit :thankyou:

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.