/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Haraam T.V shows

*KB*
02-15-2006, 12:31 PM
salam

been a long time since i was here! anywayz:) what i mean to say is that there is a new film called jarhead and don't you think its sounds like jihad and guess what:rollseyes its about fighting!! so what do u think brothers and sisters?

am i being bit critic? or do u think i'm speakin right?

*KB*
Peace Out!
:coolious:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
cihad
02-18-2006, 04:39 PM
maybe everything seems to have a double meaning nowadays

akulion
02-18-2006, 04:46 PM

Genres: Drama, Adaptation and War
Running Time: 1 hr. 55 min.
Release Date: November 4th, 2005 (wide)
MPAA Rating: R for pervasive language, some violent images, and strong sexual content.
Distributors:
Universal Pictures Distribution
U.S. Box Office: $54,280,420

Set during the Gulf War, the episodic tale follows Anthony Swofford (a.k.a. "Swoff"), a third-generation enlistee, from his sobering stint in boot camp to active duty, where he's sporting a sniper's rifle and a hundred-pound ruck sack on his back, while moving through Middle East deserts with no cover from the intolerable heat. As well, he advances with no protection from the Iraqi soldiers--and there's always a potential enemy sighting, just over the next horizon. Swoff and his fellow Marines sustain themselves on humor and camaraderie as they tread the blazing desert fields in a country they don't understand, against an enemy they can't see, for a cause they don't fully fathom.

------------------------------------

From the review above I wouldnt be surprised thats what its "supposed" to mean

But who knows really

Malik
02-18-2006, 05:13 PM
we need more good movies

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Malt
02-18-2006, 05:42 PM
Maybe if you watch the movie before assuming it is a conspiracy against you, you would realise it was called Jarhead because it is a nickname given to Marines.

Well Done!

akulion
02-18-2006, 06:14 PM
Thats why the question was posted and we were discussing it

Thanks for the explanation :)

Trumble
02-18-2006, 06:25 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by *KB*
salam

what i mean to say is that there is a new film called jarhead and don't you think its sounds like jihad and guess what:rollseyes its about fighting!! so what do u think brothers and sisters?

"Jarhead" has nothing to do with "Jihad". Its a slang term for members of the US Marine Corps that has been around since WW2 (their helmets were made by the 'Mason Jar Company').

The book of that name is a memoir of one guy's time in the USMC, and service in the first Gulf War. The film is just a dramatization of the book.

Muezzin
02-18-2006, 06:32 PM
'Jarhead' may sound like 'Jihad' but that is not the orgination of the term. It actually comes from the nickname for the Marines' haircut, as explained in various posts above us.

General note - do not jump to conclusions. It makes one look like a fool. Trust me, I know. :brother:

akulion
02-18-2006, 06:35 PM
Yes Jarhead has nothing to do with Jihad
It actually is a term used for US Marines because instead of heads they have empty jars :)

Lush
02-19-2006, 01:15 AM
Jarhead's a pretty amazing film, actually ;)

Malaikah
02-19-2006, 09:24 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by akulion
Yes Jarhead has nothing to do with Jihad
It actually is a term used for US Marines because instead of heads they have empty jars :)
:sl:
:giggling:

abdul Majid
02-19-2006, 09:35 AM
Too Bad Its Another Film Pointed At The Middle East

Malt
02-19-2006, 10:20 AM
Yes it has nothing to do with the fact that thats where the most recent conflicts occured in modern wars does it.

Next time they should invent a fictional island with ewoks on it to be the enemy.

abdul Majid
02-19-2006, 10:23 AM
Its Just A Movie I Could Care Less Really

HeLLRiDeR
02-19-2006, 11:09 AM
Im not really interested either way in this film, my sister saw it and she said there wasnt much killing action so i doubt you guys would like it, not like those old Rambo films eh? Stallone was the pwnage back in the day, he took on the whole soviet army in afganistan so im sure you fellas must of loved them movies as well !

aamirsaab
02-19-2006, 11:21 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Malt
Next time they should invent a fictional island with ewoks on it to be the enemy.
Cool!

sargon
02-19-2006, 11:23 AM
Jarhead is about Marines. I found it boring indeed.

alishba
03-10-2006, 10:44 PM
are we allowed to watch eastenders?im not being funny but are we,and islam gyal dont u act too smart.lol
:rant:

strider
03-10-2006, 10:45 PM
Assalamu alaikum

What are the benefits of watching Eastenders?

Ma'assalama

alishba
03-10-2006, 10:48 PM
i dont watch them i find it too boring and pointless,but we all know how crazy some people are about em.

strider
03-10-2006, 10:54 PM
Assalamu alaikum

Time is of the essence. Once passed, it can not be retrieved. We, especially as Muslims, should endeavour to spend more of our time pursueing knowledge and such which is of benefit to us.

Don't waste your time watching these dramas and soaps that come on TV. They are not going to assist you in building your Iman. there are many other recreational things one can do to occupy oneself.

:D

Ma'assalama

minaz
03-10-2006, 11:02 PM
Anyone watch todays episode????? Keith Miller what a LEGEND!

strider
03-10-2006, 11:05 PM
(sometimes i wonder why i bother to open my mouth. *sigh*)

Ghazi
03-10-2006, 11:08 PM
Salaam

Eastenders truely must be haraam, look at the subjects it deals with, one this note all soaps and most films must be haraam as well, whats your views guys.

alishba
03-10-2006, 11:10 PM
in dat case tv is mostly haraam unless you watch the islamic channels.also iv seen on many channels women hosts with hijab plucked eyebrows and full make-up???????

Genius
03-10-2006, 11:10 PM
Did The Sahaba Have Eastenders Atagfirullah!!!!!

Ghazi
03-10-2006, 11:11 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by alishba
in dat case tv is mostly haraam unless you watch the islamic channels.also iv seen on many channels women hosts with hijab plucked eyebrows and full make-up???????
Salaam

I agree, T.V is mostly haraam, Well at least I can still watch football:giggling:

alishba
03-10-2006, 11:13 PM
can women watch football,cos its got men running around in shorts?

minaz
03-10-2006, 11:13 PM
footballers don't dress islamically

Ghazi
03-10-2006, 11:14 PM
Salaam

Don't know, I'll let one of the more knowladgable brothers/sisters answer.

strider
03-10-2006, 11:16 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Genius
Did The Sahaba Have Eastenders Atagfirullah!!!!!
With all due respects brother, your argument doesn't really hold firm. The Sahaba didn't have the Internet in their time either.. doesn't mean that everything that can be accessed via it, is Haram. :)

Genius
03-10-2006, 11:25 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by strider
With all due respects brother, your argument doesn't really hold firm. The Sahaba didn't have the Internet in their time either.. doesn't mean that everything that can be accessed via it, is Haram. :)
Sorry are you an alim?

minaz
03-10-2006, 11:26 PM
(I think she's a girl)

alishba
03-10-2006, 11:26 PM
and are u really einstein mr genius wanabe?lol[S][/S]

Ghazi
03-10-2006, 11:29 PM
Sorry are you an alim?
Salaam

One doesn't need to be an alim to answer the question, in fact i'll answer it they way I see it, things which have messages which go against islamic morals are haraam.

strider
03-10-2006, 11:34 PM
Sorry are you an alim?

Brother, from the little knowledge i do possess and the logic Allah has blessed me with, it is safe to draw the conclusion that it is not haram for Muslims to use and do things which the sahabah never did, providing they are not illicit things which have already been forbidden by Allah.

Genius
03-10-2006, 11:34 PM
and are u really einstein mr genius wanabe?lol[S][/S]
Salam sister I am a genius, that is all you need to know.

minaz
03-10-2006, 11:51 PM
Yeh he may not be a science nerd, but he is sure as hell a genius

1m@@n
03-10-2006, 11:52 PM
Asalamoalaikum wr wb...

lolz...a funny thread i must say.

I guess my advice is to avoid tv as much as possible. If you have sky then there are some very informative n educational islamic channels to watch...

Cookie Monster
03-10-2006, 11:53 PM
salaam,
well, first of all im sure most of my sisters will agree that football is boring!!!!
second thing is that if there are any sisters out there who hav the slight interest then watch with ure eyes closed and listen out for the score.
Islamically men should be coverd frm just above the naval till the knees(that includes the knees) and its haraam to look at a man with this part of the body uncovered.

i'm afraid the shorts dnt do the job.
:w:

minaz
03-10-2006, 11:59 PM
i'm afraid the shorts dnt do the job
nope the skill of Thierry Henry does that :D

1m@@n
03-11-2006, 12:01 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Cookie Monster
salaam,
well, first of all im sure most of my sisters will agree that football is boring!!!!
second thing is that if there are any sisters out there who hav the slight interest then watch with ure eyes closed and listen out for the score.
Islamically men should be coverd frm just above the naval till the knees(that includes the knees) and its haraam to look at a man with this part of the body uncovered.

i'm afraid the shorts dnt do the job.
I must confess, I do watch football....islamically yes it is wrong to watch guys running around after a ball in their shorts (above their knees)....

as much as they are just a set of legs and most of you females, like me couldnt care less about them...it aint right...

Ghazi
03-11-2006, 12:02 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by minaz
Salaam

A follow arsenel fan I persume, Were gonna thrash Juventus and Liverpool on sunday.

Cookie Monster
03-11-2006, 12:03 AM
i wudnt knw, i hate football bt i'd probly say the same if i didnt...

Silver Pearl
03-11-2006, 12:55 PM
Firstly lets stick to the topic which is eastenders, this does not mean we all result to insulting one another.

Secondly, football is a sport, not an excuse to watch guys running around with shorts! if you watch football simply because you like Van persie, Henry, Lampard, Gerrard, Eto'o....you take your pick then it becomes haraam for you to watch. I guess for some of us it is difficult to watch things without getting excited about it.

Thirdly, as for the main topic, eastenders have topics which are not good for us, such as homosexuality, fornication etc. Now it is up to each individual to do what is best for their dunya and akhirah.

Sorry if my words seem harsh....

:wasalamex

root
03-11-2006, 01:17 PM
British soaps serve not only as entertainment but a cultural analysis of everyday life, indeed social attitutedes are expressed and the masses gain access to this. Since it reflects reality within british culture it must challenge national opinion and sometimes even educate.

Examples of education was when Mark was first diagnosed as HIV positive in the mid 80's, in this time HIV was seen as a "Gay" virus not effecting hetrosexuals and quite how you got the virus was not well understand within the working classes of Britain (people thought u could get HIV by kissing or drinking from a cup of a person infected). Such soaps actively educate this way and reflect a social fabric and engage people into a discussion. It is not uncommon for someone to say to me "did you see........" then reference a storyline and thus people will discuss attitutes within thier social groups.

Soaps have been implicated very strongly as a positive force upon the cultural masses of the United Kingdom, To consider them Haram is a shame & I am glad that main stream British culture recognise soaps as an integrated social leading phenomenem.

Ghazi
03-11-2006, 01:19 PM
Salaam

To consider them Haram is a shame
This is beacuse they deal with subject matters which are against islamic teachings.

root
03-11-2006, 01:36 PM
This is beacuse they deal with subject matters which are against islamic teachings.
Yes I know, that is why it is a shame. Reminds me of the old British attitutude "don't talk about sex we are British"

Ghazi
03-11-2006, 01:37 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by root
Yes I know, that is why it is a shame. Reminds me of the old British attitutude "don't talk about sex we are British"
Salaam

I wouldn't say it's shame that it's haraam, I say it's a shame that people do these acts which eastenders deals with.

Kittygyal
03-11-2006, 01:42 PM
are we allowed to watch eastenders?im not being funny but are we,and islam gyal dont u act too smart.lol

ta be honest i'm alwayz smart ;D ;D ;D ;D

ofcourse ur allowed ta watch eastenders apart from u dn't watch da dirty bits ;D ;D

am i been smart now :rollseyes :rollseyes :hiding:

take care

Shining Star
03-11-2006, 03:05 PM
I think if you do watch it , you just need to be aware that what is going on in it is haram...and of coourse don't watch the dirty bits!

Ghazi
03-11-2006, 03:07 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by SJ2000
I think if you do watch it , you just need to be aware that what is going on in it is haram...and of coourse don't watch the dirty bits!
Salaam

The majority of eastenders is haraam, if there isn't one scence in the vic then there's a scene of someone having a affair.

Kittygyal
03-11-2006, 03:08 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by SJ2000

tru tru tru :happy:

btw wot duz haram mean?

take care

arehat
03-11-2006, 03:08 PM
Well watching it is HARAM full stop!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

songinwind
03-11-2006, 03:09 PM

Sorry to look stupid here...BUT what is this???>>>are we allowed to watch eastenders?.is this a tv show or something??:rollseyes

Ghazi
03-11-2006, 03:10 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by songinwind
Sorry to look stupid here...BUT what is this???>>>are we allowed to watch eastenders?.is this a tv show or something??:rollseyes
Salaam

It's a soap here in the U.K it's about a fictional street in London.

Shining Star
03-11-2006, 03:14 PM
I'm just thinking of Tv in general, I don't watch Eastenders! It may well be that every scene shouldn't be watched.

Kittygyal
03-11-2006, 03:15 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by arehat
Well watching it is HARAM full stop!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

may i ask wot haram means cuz i'm jus gettin confused ere derez owt wrng wiv it unless u dn't watch da dirty bits dat's it :rollseyes :heated:

take care

Ghazi
03-11-2006, 03:16 PM
Salaam

Haraam=forbidden, and the whole concept of eastenders deals with typical kufur lifestyle, such as alcohal, fonication,adultury so theres no point in watching it.

songinwind
03-11-2006, 03:17 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by islam-truth
Salaam

It's a soap here in the U.K it's about a fictional street in London.

Oh thank you brother...:) ...

Kittygyal
03-11-2006, 03:18 PM
ok ta bro.... :)

well at the end of the day ur not gna do that r yea? so wot's bad abwt it?

take care

Ghazi
03-11-2006, 03:21 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by islamgyal
ok ta bro.... :)

well at the end of the day ur not gna do that r yea? so wot's bad abwt it?

take care
Salaam

Cause It's temptation, for example you see a couple on T.V and you might start gettting ideas, think why haven't I got me a girlfriend ect, also shaytan will tempt us with things we might see on T.V.

Kittygyal
03-11-2006, 03:23 PM
ok we all knw that there are diry parts :rollseyes

so dn't luk at em and am sure dere's owt bad abwt it...:heated: :heated:

take care

Cheb
03-11-2006, 03:24 PM
I believe watching such a show is Haram. If it contains haram then we should not watch it at all. We do not gain anything from it. As for watching it all but not the dirty parts, that is like saying I will have a drink but I wont get drunk..They are both Haram.
Just like it is Haram to speak to the opposite sex when not necessary because it may lead to something more Haram, it is also haram to watch this TV series because it may lead to Haram.
For any of the brothers and sisters who think I am wrong please speak up.

Ghazi
03-11-2006, 03:27 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Cheb
I believe watching such a show is Haram. If it contains haram then we should not watch it at all. We do not gain anything from it. As for watching it all but not the dirty parts, that is like saying I will have a drink but I wont get drunk..They are both Haram.
Just like it is Haram to speak to the opposite sex when not necessary because it may lead to something more Haram, it is also haram to watch this TV series because it may lead to Haram.
Salaam

Well said, and please remember me in your dua's so that I might give up T.V.

Kittygyal
03-11-2006, 03:27 PM
yea but obviously if u av a drink ur bound ta get drunk :rollseyes

well ur tryin a say eastenders is not allowed is islam:?

well am sure if u jus don't watch da dirty bits then it is allowed :rollseyes

take care

- Qatada -
03-11-2006, 03:58 PM
:salamext:

Theres a big problem with watching tv because people keep staring at members of the opposite sex. If we stare at a member of the opposite sex (without lowering our gaze quick) to a person whos not mahram to us, then its a sin.

The Qur'an - An-Nur 24:30

Tell the believing men to lower their gaze (from looking at forbidden things), and protect their private parts (from illegal sexual acts, etc.). That is purer for them. Verily, Allâh is All-Aware of what they do.

And tell the believing women to lower their gaze (from looking at forbidden things), and protect their private parts (from illegal sexual acts, etc.) and not to show off their adornment except only that which is apparent (like palms of hands or one eye or both eyes for necessity to see the way, or outer dress like veil, gloves, head-cover, apron, etc.), and to draw their veils all over Juyubihinna (i.e. their bodies, faces, necks and bosoms, etc.) and not to reveal their adornment except to their husbands, their fathers, their husband's fathers, their sons, their husband's sons, their brothers or their brother's sons, or their sister's sons, or their (Muslim) women (i.e. their sisters in Islâm), or the (female) slaves whom their right hands possess, or old male servants who lack vigour, or small children who have no sense of the shame of sex. And let them not stamp their feet so as to reveal what they hide of their adornment. And all of you beg Allâh to forgive you all, O believers, that you may be successful.

This is the reason why alot of the scholars say that watching the tv is haraam. Because watching people on tv is the same as staring at another person in real life, therefore its still a sin.

People also get upto alot of messed up stuff on tv, and the people end up watching it, or 'turn it over' when the dirty part comes up. The problem with that is that you don't know when its gona happen, so you're still in danger.

The main point to also remember is that anything that will lead to haraam (even if it may be permissible [halal]) - if it leads to haraam, then it is haraam. Therefore alot of the scholars say that it is haraam (sin/disallowed) for a person to watch tv where there are non mahrams etc.

Twenty Tips for Lowering the Gaze.

Lowering the Gaze: Summer Combat!

Hijab.

wa Allaahu ta'aala a'lam.
(and Allaah Almighty knows best.)

Cheb
03-11-2006, 04:03 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by islamgyal
yea but obviously if u av a drink ur bound ta get drunk :rollseyes

well ur tryin a say eastenders is not allowed is islam:?

well am sure if u jus don't watch da dirty bits then it is allowed :rollseyes

take care
Salam :)
We do not base our actions on our own opinion, but on what God (swt) and his messenger have tought us. There are reasons to why it is Haram. Please read the previous post.
Peace.

Kittygyal
03-11-2006, 04:12 PM
Salam :)
We do not base our actions on our own opinion, but on what God (swt) and his messenger have tought us. There are reasons to why it is Haram. Please read the previous post.
Peace.

ok thanks eva so much now i undastand :)

take care

The Ruler
03-11-2006, 08:30 PM
eastenders...is it haram or not....hmmm...dunno if it is or not...but like sum ppl jus get addicted to it n dey wud even miss prayer for it :rollseyes

afriend
03-11-2006, 08:34 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Tagrid
but like sum ppl jus get addicted to it n dey wud even miss prayer for it :rollseyes

Exactly.

That's wen somehting becomes haram/bad for a person.

If somebody has a job in which he has to miss his prayers, then that job is haram for him, unless he has no other options.

Mhd_ibn_Mhd
03-11-2006, 08:46 PM
Watching the 'Box' is not advisory.
This is because it shows many non-mahrum males and females. It is also time-consuming (soaps)(sequels to movies) etc.
However this is just one reason, I cannot re-call the other reasons off the top of my head.
And Allah (s.w.t) knows Best:shade:

...Muhammad

d3aTh I$ aLiVe
03-11-2006, 09:53 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by islam-truth
Salaam

Eastenders truely must be haraam, look at the subjects it deals with, one this note all soaps and most films must be haraam as well, whats your views guys.
salam,
mashallah wot gr8 thoughts, if only every1 thought in dat way

Kittygyal
03-11-2006, 09:55 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by d3aTh I$ aLiVe
salam,
mashallah wot gr8 thoughts, if only every1 thought in dat way

well ppl av there own opinions :happy:

take care

------
03-11-2006, 09:55 PM
Theres a big problem with watching tv because people keep staring at members of the opposite sex. If we stare at a member of the opposite sex (without lowering our gaze quick) to a person whos not mahram to us, then its a sin.
Das so tru ...

minaz
03-11-2006, 10:38 PM
At the end of the day many of us are living in non-muslim countries so that kinda says stuff for itself about "haraamness" (i invented that word good init :D)
At the end of the day Allah knows all our true intentions and thats the most important thing

aamirsaab
03-11-2006, 10:52 PM
4 pages on Eastenders mashallah.

Muezzin
03-11-2006, 10:53 PM
At the end of the day Allah knows all our true intentions and thats the most important thing
How does that change the fact that I think Eastenders is just another scummy soap? :p

minaz
03-11-2006, 10:55 PM
Cuz you fail to see the inner beauty of Dot Cotton's frail 77 year old exteria :p

aamirsaab
03-11-2006, 10:59 PM
Cuz you fail to see the inner beauty of Dot Cotton's frail 77 year old exteria :p
So you're the one who stole my x-ray glasses!

minaz
03-11-2006, 11:08 PM
Yeh i'll lend them to Muezzin, don't need them anymore- I got Baywatch :D

*KB*
03-13-2006, 06:00 PM
thankz 4 all dat!

Believer5
03-13-2006, 09:15 PM
for those saying it's haraam, what happened to the careful approach between haraam and halaal

don't make haraam that which Allah has not clearly made haraam...

i think it's best to say we should not watch it because it's a timewaste and unIslamic in content...

if we say it's definitely haraam and you can't watch a single scene, then we make islam seem very hard to potential converts and new converts like islamgyal...

best option: leave the declaration of things as haraam to scholars only

Shining Star
03-13-2006, 11:21 PM
I think I agree with you Saufia!

hamzaa
03-13-2006, 11:29 PM

"alrite, bruv

oh pat......, pat.......... PAT!!!!.............(cowpat???????;D !!!!)

RICKKKYYYYYYYYYY!!"

:X

hamzaa
03-13-2006, 11:58 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ~Mu'MiNaH~
Akhee hamzaa, you really like qouting from western tv shows don't you? Lol.

:offended:, depressing isn't it,........ what can I say?.... I don't have that many friends...... :crickey:

(cue the violins)

no, no......... honestly I'm f fff--fine......(breaksdown):'(

*gone*

Halima
03-14-2006, 01:31 PM

I think the sister has got the picture of wether the show is haraam or not.

anyways, post all the T.V shows that you think is haraam here.

Ghazi
03-14-2006, 01:36 PM
Salaam

Eastenders
O.C
SMALLVILLE
NEIGBOURS
HOME AND AWAY
NO ANGELS
SHAMELESS(THE TITLE SAY IT ALL)
CORONATION STREET
FOOTBALLERS WIVES
FOOTBALLERS WIVES-EXTRA TIME

Thats all I can think of the moment please make dua for me as I'm trying to give up T.V

MetSudaisTwice
03-14-2006, 01:38 PM
salam
wow, most of the shows mentioned above, i have never heard off
inshallah i will make dua
wasalam

aakhirah
03-14-2006, 02:12 PM
anyways, post all the T.V shows that you think is haraam here.

Personally, I think the question should be asking for halaal programmes (if there are any), because most of what comes on TV is dodgy, to say the least.

And when there's something that has more harm (Islamically) than good, it should be avoided. Look at the translation for the passage in the Holy Qur-aan: "Yas-aloonaka 'anil-khamri wal-maysir... wa ithmuhumaa akbaru min naf'ihimaa...". It more or less summarises Islaam's attitude towards issues in which there is both harm and benefit.

But this is only beneficial to those who want to heed and who fear Allaah.

May Allaah 'Azza wa Jall make us from among those!

A.

Shining Star
03-14-2006, 02:35 PM
So does anyone know any halal western shows? The only ones I can think of are some cartoons!

mizan_aliashraf
03-14-2006, 02:36 PM
Salam
So do i. I dont think it is a good thing to go around labelling any TV show under the sun to be haraam. Labelling something as haraam is giving a verdict and this is a very serious thing. As mentioned earlier, we should only say whether a particular show has bad content or includes prohibited contents such as porn or other such disgusting things. And the shows that have been mentioned above i havent heard of any of them - but thats just me. Too busy to have time for TV lol
Wassalam

Genius
03-14-2006, 03:42 PM
Is Desperate Housewives haram?

Muezzin
03-14-2006, 03:45 PM
I dunno.

'House' can't be though. 'House' rocks! :D

Also, a general note, if you see anything objectionable on TV, there's no need to shout 'HARAAM'. Instead, change the channel. Or turn it off. :)

Shining Star
03-14-2006, 03:57 PM
Yep I think House is really good too!

Muezzin
03-14-2006, 04:03 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Shining Star
Yep I think House is really good too!
Because Hugh Laurie as House just kills! I laugh so much, I love that kind of humour. Like when they're looking through Cuddy's house for something, and House looks in her chest of drawers.

House (amazed) : My God. She's got loads of pictures of you in here.

Chase: What?

House: It's like a shrine!

Chase (shocked): You're joking!

House: Yes.

:D

Cheb
03-14-2006, 06:54 PM
A big fat YES!
Desperate House Wives basically deals with one thing and that is sex (or anything related to it).

Maimunah
03-14-2006, 07:03 PM
A big fat YES!
Desperate House Wives basically deals with one thing and that is sex (or anything related to it).

then dont u think according to the shariah this is haraam:?

Muezzin
03-14-2006, 07:06 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by mashaallah
then dont u think according to the shariah this is haraam:?
That's what he said.

And who are we to declare things haraam? If we don't like what we're seeing, we can just turn it off. We don't have to become Armchair Imams.

Cheb
03-14-2006, 07:09 PM
Well when something is obviously Haram then I believe we should inform people. If they disagree then let them make their own opinion. But when a show constantly has half naked or naked women on then I dont think it is an issue to say whether or not it is haram. If someone asks me if alcahol is haram, I will say yes.

Muezzin
03-14-2006, 07:12 PM
Well when something is obviously Haram then I believe we should inform people. If they disagree then let them make their own opinion. But when a show constantly has half naked or naked women on then I dont think it is an issue to say whether or not it is haram. If someone asks me if alcahol is haram, I will say yes.
That's true. I wasn't referring to you in particular.

I am however referring to all this, 'This program is haram, this one isn't' mentality that seems prevalent in this thread.

It reminds me of silly moaning parents, to be honest. You know, the ones that think they're 'responsible' because they complain about Rambo showing on TV because kids might see it.

Never mind that kids should be in bed before 10 pm... :p

Cheb
03-14-2006, 07:21 PM
Well the thing is, people should realize that these days there is SO much haram that it becomes norm. People soon forget about what is right and wrong and begin to imitate because no one told them otherwise. See those parents ARE actually being responsible. I mean I understand that it may get on your nerves when they tell you that you shouldnt do something. In fact soemtimes it makes you want to do it even more. So basically what I think parents should do is educate rather than order. If they were to explain the reasons why soemone should not watch or do something, then maybe there will be a better understanding between parent and child. Besides we are suppose to obey our parent's every word as long as it doesnt go against Islam :)
Sorry dont mean to ramble on like this but I just want to get my point across (even though a little off topic).

Muezzin
03-14-2006, 07:24 PM
Well the thing is, people should realize that these days there is SO much haram that it becomes norm. People soon forget about what is right and wrong and begin to imitate because no one told them otherwise.
True. We should be told what is haram. We're not in a position to go declaring things haram though.

See those parents ARE actually being responsible.
How? If the parent doesn't like what the kids are watching, they should turn the damn thing off. And if the kid turns it back on... knock 'em out.

To quote Bender: 'There IS too much violence and crime on TV, and it IS cool, but it's not something our kids should be exposed to. Haven't you ever tried turning off the TV, sitting down with your children, and hitting them?'

I mean I understand that it may get on your nerves when they tell you that you shouldnt do something. In fact soemtimes it makes you want to do it even more. So basically what I think parents should do is educate rather than order. If they were to explain the reasons why soemone should not watch or do something, then maybe there will be a better understanding between parent and child.
I agree. And I still say use the 'power' button. It works both ways. :)

Besides we are suppose to obey our parent's every word as long as it doesnt go against Islam :)
Yep :)

Sorry dont mean to ramble on like this but I just want to get my point across (even though a little off topic).
It's okay, I do it all the time and I still haven't been banned yet. :p

aamirsaab
03-15-2006, 12:06 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ~Mu'MiNaH~
I've seen that. That without a doubt is haram. I don't think any mufti or 'alim would label that as halal. Shows things like fornication, adultery, homosexuality, cursing.... all the negative things under the sun!
Majority of that occurs in Regent college - well most of it then, which therefore means that the college is haram and I shouldn't attend it. And therefore, that makes me haram. Man i'm confuzzled.

Halima
03-15-2006, 12:40 PM

Threads merged.

HeiGou
03-15-2006, 12:50 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by aamirsaab
Majority of that occurs in Regent college - well most of it then, which therefore means that the college is haram and I shouldn't attend it. And therefore, that makes me haram. Man i'm confuzzled.
Hmmm, there are probably legal texts that discuss all those things too. Perhaps the key is how they discuss it. It is one thing to condemn it and condemn it properly, it is another to enjoy it, endorse it and find entertainment in it?

Halima
03-15-2006, 02:06 PM

If you think about it, any movies or shows that are PG-13 or rated X have sexual content in them that is why it is shown in the movies. They are all obviously haraam. If it is prohibited for the media to watch then you might aswell say that is is prohibited for us muslims to watch.

The safest channel to watch is the Discovery channel.:)

Silver Pearl
03-15-2006, 04:50 PM
*sighs* I don't get it....

Must something be labelled haram or halal?

Alright, you watch Desperate housewife, May Allah bless you.

You watch football, May Allah bless you.

You watch Eastenders, May Allah bless you.

You watch taraweeh, May Allah bless you.

The fact is, it doesn't matter what people who are well-versed say about these programmes. Someone is not going to stop watching it because Sheikh such and such said it is haram. People have to be willing to guard their eyes, mouth, hands etc from doing what they know is not permissible. We are not incompetent and Allah (swt) has blessed us with mind and comprehensive and if you delude yourself watching such programmes is halal then watch it.....

Every man on his own amal.

Lets not judge one another brothers and sisters. Lets look at ourselves first and then pray for our brothers and sisters, the ummah, those who are misguided. Don't sit there and go haram 3leeyk ya akh wa ukht. It isn't going to change anything but perhaps your duas may be accepted by Al-raheem. Perhaps because of your kind words they may be amongst the obiedent. Perhaps because of your understanding they may hasten to be amonsgt those who prosper.

Wa Allahu'3llim

Cheb
03-15-2006, 07:23 PM
I understand what you are saying but I think we must label them as haram or halal. ESPECIALLY nowadays where people seem to either convince themselves, or are convinced by other people that such programs are not haram. They are misinformed or misguided and it is our job to inform them if we can. If you would like to make Dua'a also then that is even better, but we should not just rely on that to guide our Ummah. Muslims need to be able to distinguish between haram and halal or eventually they will pass their views to their children, and them to theirs and so on until it becomes the norm. More and more Muslim countries are becoming a lot more similar to the West and honestly one of the reasons is the T.V. If children see such things on T.V when they are young, this will have a long term affect on them. So I think by labelling something we are helping our Ummah, we are not judging them.

Maimunah
03-15-2006, 07:33 PM
I understand what you are saying but I think we must label them as haram or halal. ESPECIALLY nowadays where people seem to either convince themselves, or are convinced by other people that such programs are not haram. They are misinformed or misguided and it is our job to inform them if we can. If you would like to make Dua'a also then that is even better, but we should not just rely on that to guide our Ummah. Muslims need to be able to distinguish between haram and halal or eventually they will pass their views to their children, and them to theirs and so on until it becomes the norm. More and more Muslim countries are becoming a lot more similar to the West and honestly one of the reasons is the T.V. If children see such things on T.V when they are young, this will have a long term affect on them. So I think by labelling something we are helping our Ummah, we are not judging them.
i agree wiv there
:)

Believer5
03-15-2006, 07:36 PM
So I think by labelling something we are helping our Ummah, we are not judging them.
"We" aren't fit to decide what's haraam and what isn't. It's upto the scholars to do that, and then all we can do is forward on their rulings to others.

Everyone be careful with making statements like "Eastenders is haraam"

Ghazi
03-15-2006, 07:41 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by saufia
"We" aren't fit to decide what's haraam and what isn't. It's upto the scholars to do that, and then all we can do is forward on their rulings to others.

Salaam

I think we can all agree that ''eastenders'' contains haraam content, I think people should just use their common sense and judge a sitaution and see if it goes against any islamic principle, the funny thing about the majority of T.V is it's a buch of kafirs sinning and sadly muslims watch them sinning.

Cheb
03-15-2006, 07:49 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by saufia

Actually "We" are. When it comes to issues that we already know about and already have asked about we can pass it on. My comments were basically directed towards Desperate House Wives which I have NO doubt is haram and therefore I will label it as such. Eastenders contains plenty of subject matter that we should not be exposed to. There are kissing scenes and plenty of women who are not dressed Islamically of course. You draw your conclusion then.

Muezzin
03-15-2006, 07:58 PM
I don't get this logic of 'it has some contents which are haraam, therefore the whole thing is haraam'. It doesn't make sense. It's like, corner shops sell lots of sweets, some of which we can't eat because they're haraam. Does that make the corner shop in itself haraam?

I'm not saying we should expose ourselves to haraam things though.

Maimunah
03-15-2006, 08:02 PM
ofcourse not all TV is haraam bt bro majority of its shows are haraam
common in every advert there's a woman not dressesd well so ru as a brother in islam ment to be watchin somethin lyk that???

Musaafirah
03-15-2006, 08:03 PM
vaa vaa! this subject has changed 4rm asking about a film to soapz :?
i thought watchin tv was haraam full stop?

Ghazi
03-15-2006, 08:05 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muezzin
I don't get this logic of 'it has some contents which are haraam, therefore the whole thing is haraam'. It doesn't make sense. It's like, corner shops sell lots of sweets, some of which we can't eat because they're haraam. Does that make the corner shop in itself haraam?

I'm not saying we should expose ourselves to haraam things though.
Salaam

I'll break it down for you bro, Lets use Eastenders as an example

1.Constent Consumtion of alcohal in most episodes
2.Adultery
3.fornication
4.Thievery

And many more haraam actions a muslim should aviod, we've been warned to stay away from these things in the Quran so whats the point of viewing a show with such material.

Muezzin
03-15-2006, 08:08 PM
Look bro, I'll break it down for you.

Eastenders

10% Pat Butcher

10% 'RICKAY'

80% Turd

:p

I'm not saying we should watch programmes with haraam content. We should avoid such content. I'm just saying we shouldn't be so fast to play the HARAAAM!!!111One card at every opportunity.

Muezzin
03-16-2006, 09:04 AM
I agree Eastenders is crap. So are most of the programmes on TV, which is why I hardly watch the thing. I just don't think it's our place to go declaring tv shows haraam.

I also agree with the sweet shop analogy. That's what I was trying to say - we shouldn't make blanket statements.

Halima
03-16-2006, 12:53 PM

There is a big diference if someone knows that there is inappropriate content in what they watch verses what they don't know.

Brothers and sisters, if you watch something that you already know that has inappropriate content what are you gonna keep on doing?

Will you watch it regardless, or will you fear Allah(swt) and stop? If you keep on watching the same show without having any clear conscience something must be wrong with you. Either your judgement is extremely poor, or you just don't care if you are sinning or not.

All of these little mini soap shows like the so called show Eastenders are what leads to to the big factor in real life. Fornication, adultery, and free mixing. Now in Islam this is somthing that we should not be accustomed to.

My philosophy is that if you know what you are watching has inappropriate content, it is just like going on the computer and looking up porn for yourself.

Nevertheless, don't get me wrong, there is ALWAYS ALWAYS AND ALWAYS a precaution pertaining to the inappropriate shows that have sexual content. So how would you go against that? You yourself will be accountable merely for that one scene that flat out shows that woman's breast.

- something to think about insha'Allah (and Allah knows best)

MetSudaisTwice
03-16-2006, 12:55 PM
salam
it is kind of similar to keeping your gaze down, you should know when something is innappropiate and you should refrain from it instantly inshallah
jazakallah for sharing the info sis halima
waslam

aamirsaab
03-16-2006, 08:11 PM
I just want to point out that if you think eastenders is bad, you should come to regent college. Seriously, the amount of fitnah and god-knows what else that goes in that college. From some people's posts and views, if you saw any of the things that happened in regent, boy, you'd probably die.

Ghazi
03-16-2006, 08:13 PM
I just want to point out that if you think eastenders is bad, you should come to regent college. Seriously, the amount of fitnah and god-knows what else that goes in that college. From some people's posts and views, if you saw any of the things that happened in regent, boy, you'd probably die.
Salaam

I hope allah keeps me away from that place.

Cheb
03-16-2006, 08:32 PM
Do you have a choice to go somewhere else?

Snowflake
03-16-2006, 08:33 PM
Isn't most unislamic tv haram? I don't understand it when ppl say, well just don't watch the rude parts. Well you only know they are rude when you've already seen them. It's not like you get a warning flash up saying*RUDE PART COMING UP!* A bit too late to lower ur gaze then if u ask me. And the adverts are worst than the programs! You're only safe if you stick to islamic channels, otherwise forget it.

Maimunah
03-16-2006, 08:34 PM
may allah guide them n may he keep u away from their evil:)

aamirsaab
03-16-2006, 08:42 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muslimah_Sis
Isn't most unislamic tv haram? I don't understand it when ppl say, well just don't watch the rude parts. Well you only know they are rude when you've already seen them. It's not like you get a warning flash up saying*RUDE PART COMING UP!* A bit too late to lower ur gaze then if u ask me. And the adverts are worst than the programs! You're only safe if you stick to islamic channels, otherwise forget it.
Which is worse though, the fact that there is a demand for this or the fact that it is being shown. (I'm aware that it is a cyclical argument) But this is part of the test, no?

As far as regent is concerned, the college itself isn't bad - I mean the teachers are great (no, they aren't paying me to say this :p). Practicing muslims, however, are few in quantity. I know this cus i've seen it with my two eyes for a whole year and a half. The test keeps getting harder as you get older. sucks don't it.

Do you have a choice to go somewhere else?
I'm in my last year so it doesn't bother me as much. What does bother me is that it's probably going to get worse before it gets better. The sad thing is, it's not because noone isn't telling them what they are doing is wrong, no, it's that they turn their back on Islam - how can you change someone who has done that. Granted, at least 50% of the reason is down to peer pressure (aka social conformity) - "everyone else from (insert area of city here) is doing the same, So i will. This is who we are." Sadly, that kind of mentality doesn't help our situation as it makes our lifes (the guys/gals who actually are practicing muslims and DO want to get somewhere in life - apart from Cuba :p) a whole lot more difficult cus we have to work even harder to rebuild the reputation.

Snowflake
03-16-2006, 09:06 PM

Which is worse though, the fact that there is a demand for this or the fact that it is being shown. (I'm aware that it is a cyclical argument) But this is part of the test, no?
For muslims both are worst. We know there is obscenity shown at random intervals, so we shouldnt put ourselves in the situation where we're exposed to it. The ultimate test is whether or not we can avoid these shows altogether rather than if or not we can avert our gaze at those times only.

Cheb
03-16-2006, 09:14 PM
Remember Jihad Al Nafs is the "Greater Jihad".

Ghazi
03-16-2006, 09:18 PM
Remember Jihad Al Nafs is the "Greater Jihad".
Salaam

Hey bro by any chance do you know who narrated that hadith.

Ghazi
03-16-2006, 09:52 PM
Salaam

[QUOTESome troops came back from an expedition and went to see the Messenger of Allah, sallallahu `alayhi wa-Sallam. He said: "You have come for the best, from the smaller jihad (al-jihad al-asghar) to the greater jihad (al-jihad al-akbar)." Someone said, "What is the greater jihad?" He said: "The servant's struggle against his lust"(mujahadat al-`abdi hawah). ][/QUOTE]

Salaam

I think people have taken this out of context, if this hadith is authentic, what I don't understand is fighting in the way of allah is also jihad against one's lust, for exmaple one would leave the comfort of his house,his wealth,his children and wife, and possabably loose his life, this hadith confuses me.

sargon
03-17-2006, 01:43 PM
I tell people that when they ask about jihad, jihad means struggle in the way of Allah! It applies to everything right? Any evil you struggle against is jihad right?

MetSudaisTwice
03-17-2006, 01:44 PM
salam
just waking up for fajr is a form of jihad
wasalam

sargon
03-17-2006, 02:25 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by metsudaistwice
salam
just waking up for fajr is a form of jihad
wasalam
Indee it is. I hear it gets easier as you form the habit. Do you wake up without an alarm sometimes?

minaz
03-18-2006, 08:36 PM
Yeh, you tend to get up around a 20minute radius i find

mizan_aliashraf
03-23-2006, 11:37 AM
Salam
fajr cannot be prayed (according to its valid time) after sunrise.
Wassalam

Z
03-23-2006, 11:38 AM
Salaam.

I'm sure it can be prayed after sunrise too, but not during. The time for it stops just before the morning Nalf prayer, I think.

Duhaa
03-23-2006, 11:53 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Z
Salaam.

I'm sure it can be prayed after sunrise too, but not during. The time for it stops just before the morning Nalf prayer, I think.
Then it will be prayed as Qadhaa and its not the same as praying it at its time.
Fajr is only until sunrise.
I think youre getting mixed up with the fact that no namaaz can be prayed during sunrise = makrooh.

And when you pray qadhaa you will still be punished (go to Jahannum )for one hukb which is loads of years.
May Allah save us from the hellfire. Ameen.

But what is all this to do with Haraam TV shows. :)

minaz
03-23-2006, 10:41 PM
And when you pray qadhaa you will still be punished (go to Jahannum )for one hukb which is loads of years.
Wait a minute, so if you repent at missing just the one prayer your automatically gonna get some time in hell?????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ??????????????????????????????????????????

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.