/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Total Ayat in Qur'an

afzalaung
03-11-2006, 05:05 AM
Just how many ayat are there in the Qur'an?

My madrasah(religious school) thought me as 6666ayat...

i counted my self last week..it was 6286 ayat...

and this website i checked..said its 6236 ayat...

:?
whats thew real one?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
abdul Majid
03-11-2006, 05:07 AM
i just wanna clear for people who dont know!!

ayat = verse

surah = chapter

Khaldun
03-11-2006, 09:34 AM
:sl:

Dont worry about that brother, it varies, but this doesnt mean ayahs are missing, its just that some mushafs count two ayahs as one or one ayah as two and due to small differences like that the verse count varies slightly :brother:

Umm Safiya
03-11-2006, 10:07 PM

I don't get that.. Why aren't the mushafs the same? :-\ A little confused here! There's big difference between 6666 and 6236..

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Khaldun
03-11-2006, 10:21 PM

Yes Im sorry if I didnt explain it good.

You see certain verses are counted as one in certain mushafs in others its counted as two and vice versa, however nowadays you wont find that as much since there has been a sort of a standarisation of the mushaf most people use the one printed in Madinah by the Saudi government, in other mushafs earlier you might have found this, a quick example would be that last ayah of surah Fatiha. Most Mushafs hold it to be one ayah, but some break it down into "Sirataladina an amta alyhim" as one ayah and "ghayril maghdubi alyhim waladaaaleeen" as another. Now if you imagen, if there is this difference in about an average of six verses in each surah of the Quran then the gap wont seem as big, and the difference between brother afzalaungs and that website seems very negligible

Umm Safiya
03-11-2006, 10:39 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Khaldun

Yes Im sorry if I didnt explain it good.

You see certain verses are counted as one in certain mushafs in others its counted as two and vice versa, however nowadays you wont find that as much since there has been a sort of a standarisation of the mushaf most people use the one printed in Madinah by the Saudi government, in other mushafs earlier you might have found this, a quick example would be that last ayah of surah Fatiha. Most Mushafs hold it to be one ayah, but some break it down into "Sirataladina an amta alyhim" as one ayah and "ghayril maghdubi alyhim waladaaaleeen" as another. Now if you imagen, if there is this difference in about an average of six verses in each surah of the Quran then the gap wont seem as big, and the difference between brother afzalaungs and that website seems very negligible

I did understand what you meant, I just don't get it.. Why don't they agree on the ayats.. I don't understand WHY they aren't agreeing..
:? :)

Khaldun
03-11-2006, 10:49 PM

The point where an ayah stops and starts is determined by the flow of the language as well as how it was recited by the companions etc amongst other things however at the end of the day its just a dot and does not alter the meaning and the Quran stays intact alhamdulilah

FatimaAsSideqah
03-11-2006, 11:05 PM

There are a total of 3202670 words and total of 6,236 ayats (verses) in the Holy Quran...but i am not sure of 100%...need exactly numbers..

:w: :sister:

abdul Majid
03-11-2006, 11:07 PM
i want to say what is benificial about how many words there are in the quran, or ayat???

this is nonsense, if you wanna do something to benifit you and others, memorize the quran !!!

afzalaung
03-15-2006, 05:17 AM
Jazaks for the info bro.Khaldun:)

it was just to satisfy my curiousity...
well..thanks to it..now i know about the division of the ayat...

aakhirah
03-15-2006, 11:49 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by abdul Majid
i want to say what is benificial about how many words there are in the quran, or ayat???

this is nonsense, if you wanna do something to benifit you and others, memorize the quran !!!
JazaakAllah khayr brother, very well said.

Sometimes, we tend to forget the main issues and make a big issue out of petty differences. This only serves to disunite the ummah.

I'm not suggesting that this thread was useless; indeed it has been discussed by scholars in the past. But to make this difference an issue, after it has been clarified by some members masha-Allah, would be incorrect.

Sorry if I'm appearing to be making an issue out of this, but you get my drift...

:w:

A.

Najiullah
08-04-2006, 11:42 PM
JazakALlah for the info brother

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.