/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Hijab

Shining Star
03-11-2006, 03:09 PM
salam,

what is the punishment for someone who does not cover their hair? A friend told me that such people cannot go to jannat.

This is just something I'm wondering about.

Jazakallah

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Protected_Diamond
03-11-2006, 03:14 PM
:sl:

Well wearing the hijab is faraz (compulsory) so you would be committing a major sin.

And, people should remember that hijab is not just a protection from guys, but from a girl's nafs (ego) as well. It should prevent girls from having to spend hours in front of the mirror doing her hair. But, unfortunately, you see girls in front of the mirror for hours doing their hijab as they would do their hair, with all sorts of elaborate braids and the like. I wanted to go up to a sister and say "Is your hijab naturally curly?"

Well, the point to remember is that some people make an effort to wear hijab, but it is futile, because it is not fulfilling it's purpose. It's like using an umbrella with holes in it. Hijab is used for protection from guys as well as from the girl herself, and should not be used as an accessory or for beautifying one's self; for the hijab itself beautifies.

:w:

Halima
03-11-2006, 05:57 PM

The thread moved.

ameen
03-11-2006, 06:03 PM
salam,

covering the head, hair or face are not commanded in the Qur'an,

so you cannot just link that with whether or not a person is 'going to Jannah'.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Ghazi
03-11-2006, 06:06 PM
Salaam

This was just posted on another topic by one of the mods

The Qur'an - An-Nur 24:30

Tell the believing men to lower their gaze (from looking at forbidden things), and protect their private parts (from illegal sexual acts, etc.). That is purer for them. Verily, Allâh is All-Aware of what they do.

And tell the believing women to lower their gaze (from looking at forbidden things), and protect their private parts (from illegal sexual acts, etc.) and not to show off their adornment except only that which is apparent (like palms of hands or one eye or both eyes for necessity to see the way, or outer dress like veil, gloves, head-cover, apron, etc.), and to draw their veils all over Juyubihinna (i.e. their bodies, faces, necks and bosoms, etc.) and not to reveal their adornment except to their husbands, their fathers, their husband's fathers, their sons, their husband's sons, their brothers or their brother's sons, or their sister's sons, or their (Muslim) women (i.e. their sisters in Islâm), or the (female) slaves whom their right hands possess, or old male servants who lack vigour, or small children who have no sense of the shame of sex. And let them not stamp their feet so as to reveal what they hide of their adornment. And all of you beg Allâh to forgive you all, O believers, that you may be successful.

ameen
03-11-2006, 06:08 PM
salam islam-truth,

Did Allah also reveal the parts in the brackets?

I don't think so.

afriend
03-11-2006, 06:09 PM
Nice quote bro......

Surah Nur is a bounty to all the muslimahs

It should be read by sister.....Cos it explains things very well.

Ghazi
03-11-2006, 06:12 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ameen-
salam islam-truth,

Did Allah also reveal the parts in the brackets?

I don't think so.
Salaam

It's an transaltion, people might know understand whats being talked about.

The Ruler
03-11-2006, 06:13 PM

i thought dat any1 dat says da shahadah wid all der heart goes to janna :confused:

da punishment for not wearin hijab may b temporary....like say in hell only for a few years :? i heard summink like dat b4...but we dont no as i dont fink it is said...is it :? :confused:

ameen
03-11-2006, 06:15 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by islam-truth
Salaam

It's an transaltion, people might know understand whats being talked about.

salam,

Just answer my question,

in the translation you just quoted,

there is a bracket which says women should cover 'faces' ,

tell me, did Allah REVEAL THE WORD in the verse - "FACES" ,

and beware that to tell a lie against Allah is a very grave sin.

afriend
03-11-2006, 06:18 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Tagrid
:sl: da punishment for not wearin hijab may b temporary....like say in hell only for a few years :? i heard summink like dat b4...but we dont no as i dont fink it is said...is it :? :confused:

It is not mentionned, but 1 day of the hereafter is like (i think) 80,000 years.

But u gotta be aware of wer ur gettin this type of info from, cos i know many Deshi Imams spreading so much bid'ah (innovations) to Islam, and they are making ppl go astray.

Ghazi
03-11-2006, 06:21 PM
salam,

Just answer my question,

Salaam

The word cover wasn't used, the word over was, it's an translation the translator is telling us what is ment by the verse.

afriend
03-11-2006, 06:22 PM
salam,

Just answer my question,

OK, chill out.

It's not fardh (cumpulsory) to cover the face, but it is desirable (mustahab).

But at times it is actually better to cover the face....u know what i mean?

Cos me havin reached maturity, i have experienced times wen i should have lowered my gaze, and if that person was wearing a veil, then it wud have been easier for me...... :)

Ghazi
03-11-2006, 06:24 PM
salam,

Just answer my question,

Salaam

Let me ask you a question say I revert picked up a copy of the quran would he know what was ment by the verses or would he need to be told what was ment.

ameen
03-11-2006, 06:25 PM
salam,

exactly,

the word 'face' or 'hair' is not used,

Allah has commanded the women specifically to keep covered their chests.

You can say you found 'hair' or 'face' in scholar's opinions or some hadith -

but please - don't ever say it is in the Qur'an -

leave the Qur'an alone

Kittygyal
03-11-2006, 06:25 PM
well how can u cover ur face lol ?

neva cum across that b4.....

take care

Ghazi
03-11-2006, 06:27 PM
Salaam

And where is the hijab ment to go then may I ask, you seem to have described a bra there.

Ghazi
03-11-2006, 06:29 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by islamgyal
well how can u cover ur face lol ?

neva cum across that b4.....

take care
The word cover wasn't used the word over was.

afriend
03-11-2006, 06:32 PM
salam,

exactly,

the word 'face' or 'hair' is not used,

Allah has commanded the women specifically to keep covered their chests.

You can say you found 'hair' or 'face' in scholar's opinions or some hadith -

but please - don't ever say it is in the Qur'an -

leave the Qur'an alone
So it's ok to leave the head bare is it?

That makes it harder for ppl like me to keep their gaze down and control their desires.

Get the point?

The covering is there for a reason, and that reason is to protect...

Imagine all the muslimahs started walkin without their heads bein covered, Allah save us, that's all i can say.

Ghazi
03-11-2006, 06:34 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Iqram

That makes it harder for ppl like me to keep their gaze down and control their desires.

Get the point?

Imagine all the muslimahs started walkin without their heads bein covered, Allah save us, that's all i can say.
Salaam

I agree

ameen
03-11-2006, 06:35 PM
salam,

other translations of the verse:

"And tell the believing women to lower their gaze and be modest, and to display of their adornment only that which is apparent, and to draw their veils over their bosoms..."

"And say to the believing women that they should lower their gaze and guard their modesty; that they should not display their beauty and ornaments except what (must ordinarily) appear thereof; that they should draw their veils over their bosoms..."

"And tell the believing women to subdue their eyes, and maintain their chastity. They shall not reveal any parts of their bodies, except that which is necessary. They shall cover their chests..."

"And say to the believing women that they cast down their looks and guard their private parts, and display not their ornaments, except those which are outside; and let them pull their kerchiefs over their bosoms..."

-[24:31]

the emphasis is on covering the chest, not covering the face or hair.

it says use a 'khimaar' (which means a cloth used for covering) to cover the chests,

so if it is saying draw khimaar 'over' , that allows you a chance to interpret and twist this part of the verse to mean 'over face head and everything' ?

Kittygyal
03-11-2006, 06:36 PM
The word cover wasn't used the word over was.

oryt sori i misunderstnd there :hiding: :hiding:

so y shud u cover it:?

ameen
03-11-2006, 06:37 PM

If a Muslimah does that, that is her choice.

just don't say it is specifically ORDERED in the Qur'an,

because that would be a lie against Allah .

Ghazi
03-11-2006, 06:37 PM
salam,

And tell the believing women to lower their gaze and be modest, and to display of their adornment only that which is apparent, and to draw their veils over their bosoms...

And say to the believing women that they should lower their gaze and guard their modesty; that they should not display their beauty and ornaments except what (must ordinarily) appear thereof; that they should draw their veils over their bosoms...

And tell the believing women to subdue their eyes, and maintain their chastity. They shall not reveal any parts of their bodies, except that which is necessary. They shall cover their chests...

Salaam

And say to the believing women that they cast down their looks and guard their private parts, and display not their ornaments, except those which are outside; and let them pull their kerchiefs over their bosoms...

it says use a 'khimaar' (which means a cloth used for covering) to cover the chests,

so if it is saying draw khimaar 'over' , that allows you a chance to interpret and twist this part of the verse to mean' over face head and everything' ?
Salaam

So why do so many were hijab.

afriend
03-11-2006, 06:38 PM

so y shud u cover it:?
so u dont attract others towards u.

It wud make it easier to refrain if you wer covered.

Kittygyal
03-11-2006, 06:40 PM
i knw most asian womens wear da big long ta cover there body (don't knw wot it is called tho) bt how r they supposed ta see then?

take care

ameen
03-11-2006, 06:41 PM

salam,

Don't you feel at all ashamed to tell her that "if you don't cover your hair and face, I may get excited if I see you because I can't lower my gaze" ?

Don't you have any sense of self-control?

afriend
03-11-2006, 06:41 PM
If a Muslimah does that is up to her.

just don't say it is specifically ORDERED in the Qur'an,

because that would be a lie against Allah .
Yes, But the Quraan only speaks of these things in little detail.

As an example, in the quraan it only sez to wash the face, the hands, heads and the feet.

But it is further elaborated in the SUNNAH. (the sayings of the Prophet Muhammad(SAW) )

It also says in the Quraan:

"Obey Allah and the messenger"

So we must do what the prophet of Allah has commanded us to do.

Ghazi
03-11-2006, 06:43 PM
salam,

Don't you feel at all ashamed to tell her that "if you don't cover your hair and face, I may get excited if I see you because I can't lower my gaze" ?

Salaam

And why should he feel ashamed, if a sister is walking around un-coverd that thats her fault and she's tempting people thats also her fault and she should cover up.

afriend
03-11-2006, 06:44 PM
salam,

Listen, Not everyone is an angel.

That's why Allah forgives.

If i accidentally saw a nice lookin person on the streets, then obviously i wud get an urge to look again...That's called EGO!!!!!!! Everybody has that urge.

If that person were to b covered well, then it wud make life easier for a person to keep his gaze down.

Kittygyal
Salaam

And why should he feel ashamed, if a sister is walking around un-coverd that thats her fault and she's tempting people thats also her fault and she should cover up.

well how shud it be er fault wot about if she din't knw den wot:?

take care

Cheb
I think you should think about this logically. (Speaking form experience) It is much harder to lower your gaze if a female is not covering her hair than it is if she is.

ameen
03-11-2006, 06:45 PM
Yes, But the Quraan only speaks of these things in little detail.

As an example, in the quraan it only sez to wash the face, the hands, heads and the feet.

But it is further elaborated in the SUNNAH. (the sayings of the Prophet Muhammad(SAW) )

It also says in the Quraan:

"Obey Allah and the messenger"

So we must do what the prophet of Allah has commanded us to do.
salam,

Please read what I've posted in the following thread because I don't want to get into that here again:

http://www.islamicboard.com/marriage...ht=rights+wife

wsalam

Kittygyal
03-11-2006, 06:45 PM
salam,

ryt lets not be that harsh ta iky k...

lets talk in a much polite way plz

take care

Ghazi
03-11-2006, 06:46 PM
well how shud it be er fault wot about if she din't knw den wot:?

take care
Salaam

If she didn't truely know then she's not to blame but this is a major part in a sisters life and someone should tell her to cover up, but if she does know then she is commiting a sin.

Kittygyal
03-11-2006, 06:49 PM
Salaam

If she didn't truely know then she's not to blame but this is a major part in a sisters life and someone should tell her to cover up, but if she does know then she is commiting a sin.

yea ur ryt there but wot a bwt if she wears the scarf and the long thing the one that u wear on body...n she duzn't wear the thing that u cover on face:?

(sori i dn't no the names)

take care

afriend
03-11-2006, 06:50 PM
That doesnt explain anything.

So what your trying to say is everyone in that time messed up in tellin what the prophet(SAW) said as it is.....

If u dont wanna wear a hijab and get raped, that's your choice, but dont try to discourage what is sahih.

By the way, if u tried to examine what the 4 imams spent on a single hadeeth, u wud definately change your opinion.

The Imams studied those included the Ra'wee (the chain of narrators) and checked thoroughly if they wer trustable or not.

sorri, can someone delete this post, i accidentally quoted by accident.

afriend
03-11-2006, 06:52 PM
salam,

Please read what I've posted in this thread because I don't want to get into that here again.

wsalam

So what your trying to say is everyone in that time messed up in tellin what the prophet(SAW) said as it is.....

If u dont wanna wear a hijab and get raped, that's your choice, but dont try to discourage what is sahih.

By the way, if u tried to examine what the 4 imams spent on a single hadeeth, u wud definately change your opinion.

The Imams studied those included the Ra'wee (the chain of narrators) and checked thoroughly if they wer trustable or not.

Kittygyal
03-11-2006, 06:52 PM

i dn't get this at all i u replying it to me:?

getting confused ere:heated: :heated:

take care

Ghazi
03-11-2006, 06:53 PM
yea ur ryt there but wot a bwt if she wears the scarf and the long thing the one that u wear on body...n she duzn't wear the thing that u cover on face:?

take care
Salaam

As long the hair and sutable clothing which doesn't revel too much of the body then that fine.

afriend
03-11-2006, 06:53 PM

take care
U dont HAVE to wear the thing over the face.

But u shud wear the "scarf" and "the long thing".

But this wud b a better answer:

Salaam

As long the hair and sutable clothing which doesn't revel too much of the body then that fine.

afriend
03-11-2006, 06:54 PM
i dn't get this at all i u replying it to me:?

getting confused ere:heated: :heated:

take care
Sorri sis.

Not u, but to ameen.

Kittygyal
03-11-2006, 06:55 PM
U dont HAVE to wear the thing over the face.

But u shud wear the "scarf" and "the long thing".

ok i think i shud start wearin it too;D ;D :happy: :happy:

can i ask can u jus wear the scarf:?

take care

afriend
03-11-2006, 06:56 PM
can i ask can u jus wear the scarf:?

take care
Just as long as the rest of ur clothes don't reveal too much.

Kittygyal
03-11-2006, 06:56 PM
Sorri sis.

Not u, but to ameen.

ok chill i was abit lost:grumbling

take care

Kittygyal
03-11-2006, 06:58 PM
Just as long as the rest of ur clothes don't reveal too much.

jus say if i wear jeans and top and a scarf on me head is that allowed in izlam:?

take care

AceOfHearts
03-11-2006, 07:00 PM

Get the point?

However you feel towards women with hair uncovered, the matter is about knowing what is in the [original arabic] Quran and what is not.

Perheps you should emphasize a little bit more blame on the gazer rather then the one who is being gazed at.

Ghazi
03-11-2006, 07:01 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Companion
However you feel towards women with hair uncovered, the matter is about knowing what is in the [original arabic] Quran and what is not.

Perheps you should emphasize a little bit more blame on the gazer rather then the one who is being gazed at.
Salaam

What are your views bro.

afriend
03-11-2006, 07:07 PM

Well, im only 14 what u expect?

Only gettin used to these feeling/emotions (for the past 3 years)

But, if everybody kept their gazes low, then it wud become very easy for ppl...even if ppl didnt wear a hijab.

But the thing is, it's for the protection of the sisters, it's like say if i gave you a gun and armour in war, and u didn't take them for protection against the enemy, it wud b a loss........

I hope u undertand.....i do give wierd parables at times.....;D

*charisma*
03-11-2006, 08:11 PM
Assalamu Alaikum wa rahmatallah wa barakatu,

salam,

"And tell the believing women to lower their gaze and be modest, and to display of their adornment only that which is apparent, and to draw their veils over their bosoms..."

"And say to the believing women that they should lower their gaze and guard their modesty; that they should not display their beauty and ornaments except what (must ordinarily) appear thereof; that they should draw their veils over their bosoms..."

"And tell the believing women to subdue their eyes, and maintain their chastity. They shall not reveal any parts of their bodies, except that which is necessary. They shall cover their chests..."

"And say to the believing women that they cast down their looks and guard their private parts, and display not their ornaments, except those which are outside; and let them pull their kerchiefs over their bosoms..."

-[24:31]

so if it is saying draw khimaar 'over' , that allows you a chance to interpret and twist this part of the verse to mean' over face head and everything' ?
You missed a very important part in that ayah that i do want to point out (this maybe a better translation inshallah):

And say to the believing women that they should lower their gaze and guard their modesty; that they should not display their beauty and ornaments except what (must ordinarily) appear thereof; that they should draw their veils over their bosoms and not display their beauty except to their husbands, their fathers, their husband's fathers, their sons, their husbands' sons, their brothers or their brothers' sons, or their sisters' sons, or their women, or the slaves whom their right hands possess, or male servants free of physical needs, or small children who have no sense of the shame of sex; and that they should not strike their feet in order to draw attention to their hidden ornaments. And O ye Believers! turn ye all together towards Allah, that ye may attain Bliss.

For anyone else to see, its haraam. hair, neck, chest, etc. aren't supposed to be revealed, for it will kill their modesty and the whole purpose of that ayah, which is to NOT bring attention upon their bodies. A woman is clearly treated differently when she is covered than when she is exposed. Males have a stronger sexual desire than women do, therefore it is in their best intrest to lower their gaze instead of ask why women are/arent covering. I don't have time to read that thread you provided, but Allah did send down the rasul as an example of how we should live our lives, and the Quran as a guidance,and that is said within the quran since you are apt more about the Quran than the ahadith themselves.

Thus, have We made of you an Ummat justly balanced, that ye might be witnesses over the nations, and the Messenger a witness over yourselves; and We appointed the Qibla to which thou wast used, only to test those who followed the Messenger from those who would turn on their heels (From the Faith). Indeed it was (A change) momentous, except to those guided by Allah. And never would Allah Make your faith of no effect. For Allah is to all people Most surely full of kindness, Most Merciful. (2:143)

A similar (favour have ye already received) in that We have sent among you an Messenger of your own, rehearsing to you Our Signs, and sanctifying you, and instructing you in Scripture and Wisdom, and in new knowledge. (2:151)

Allah provides understanding of the Qu'ran for those who seek it, english translations will not provide that same understanding unless you read it the way it was relevated, in arabic.

He granteth wisdom to whom He pleaseth; and he to whom wisdom is granted receiveth indeed a benefit overflowing; but none will grasp the Message but men of understanding.(2:269)

May Allah guide you and us ameen.

fi aman Allah
walaikum asalaam wa rahmatallah wa barakatu

AceOfHearts
03-11-2006, 08:12 PM
:sl: Iqram,

I understand. It is very hard to know what is actually in Islam and what is not with all the different views and opinions of the scholars.

:sl: islam-truth,

I will not tell you a lie against Allah. I will be a wrongdoer if I did. The real arabic Quran that you read in arabic does NOT command the covering of hair or the face [the Quran has many commands within it: DONT Drink, DONT Gamble etc. DO: Give Charity, Do: Pray].

Whether what one does with the verse after undertsanding the Quran is upto them[ whether they use sunna, ijma qiyas etc].

Translators often use brackets to interpolate the meaning of the Quran, so really it is not a "translation" of the Quran. There are some translations that are better in represnting the actual arabic then others.

julie sarri
03-12-2006, 01:59 PM
:sl: when i was watching the islam channel one of the shaykhs said that every hair that is on show in the street will burn and on show to non muslims he also said that their would be 4 people who would also be punished for the women not wearing her hijaab her father,brother,husband,son for not telling her to cover her self:w:

Kittygyal
03-12-2006, 02:02 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by julie sarri
:sl: when i was watching the islam channel one of the shaykhs said that every hair that is on show in the street will burn and on show to non muslims he also said that their would be 4 people who would also be punished for the women not wearing her hijaab her father,brother,husband,son for not telling her to cover her self:w:

wot about if they are non-muzlims and there parent's don't know then still she will get punished:?

take care

------
03-12-2006, 02:06 PM
Woah ppl like calmmmm dwnnnnnn!
Breathe in.... breathe out...
And chill!

(Lol but a gud heated discussion going on.. I Like It!)

Kittygyal
03-12-2006, 02:08 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Pagal Kuri
Woah ppl like calmmmm dwnnnnnn!
Breathe in.... breathe out...
And chill!

(Lol but a gud heated discussion going on.. I Like It!)

how can we calm down man we need ta knw cuz i dn't wear it and u knw i wana start wearing it nw:rollseyes :rollseyes r atleast try:X :hiding:

take care

Ghazi
03-12-2006, 02:09 PM
wot about if they are non-muzlims and there parent's don't know then still she will get punished:?

take care
Salaam

Well if there non-muslim thats a problem in it self, if they die in that state they'll go to hell.

Kittygyal
03-12-2006, 02:10 PM
Salaam

Well if there non-muslim thats a problem in it self, if they die in that state they'll go to hell.

o god i think i shud start wearing it too:rollseyes :rollseyes

take care

------
03-12-2006, 02:11 PM
how can we calm down man we need ta knw cuz i dn't wear it and u knw i wana start wearing it nw:rollseyes :rollseyes r atleast try:X :hiding:

take care
Well sis it IS compulsory in Islam...

Kittygyal
03-12-2006, 02:15 PM
Well sis it IS compulsory in Islam...

i knw it is most ppl have told mi bt u knw av converted 2yrs ago and am lyk practising... so u knw wot i mean i dn't even knw wot is ryt in izlam and wot is wrng that's y am learning r maybe not:hiding: :X

take care

------
03-12-2006, 02:17 PM
i knw it is most ppl have told mi bt u knw av converted 2yrs ago and am lyk practising... so u knw wot i mean i dn't even knw wot is ryt in izlam and wot is wrng that's y am learning r maybe not:hiding: :X

take care

Sis look through the Qur'an and the Hadith and inshallah you'll be guided from there..

And Allah swt knows best

Tkcr

Kittygyal
03-12-2006, 02:20 PM

Sis look through the Qur'an and the Hadith and inshallah you'll be guided from there..

And Allah swt knows best

Tkcr

well firstly i dn't knw how ta read the koran am learnin kinda and secondly i dn't even knw wot hadith is:rollseyes

take care

------
03-12-2006, 02:23 PM
well firstly i dn't knw how ta read the koran am learnin kinda and secondly i dn't even knw wot hadith is:rollseyes

take care

Sis u can get the Qur'an translation in English and Hadith are the sayings of the Prophet and can be found in English in most Islamic bookshops..

Tkcr

Kittygyal
03-12-2006, 02:24 PM

Sis u can get the Qur'an translation in English and Hadith are the sayings of the Prophet and can be found in English in most Islamic bookshops..

Tkcr

o ta sis :thankyou:

tak care

------
03-12-2006, 02:28 PM
o ta sis :thankyou:

tak care
:) All gud :p

AceOfHearts
03-12-2006, 02:29 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by julie sarri

Yes, I watched it too on Islam Channel.

I respect the speaker for his other views, but I found that a complete nonsense.

Think about it:
Why would Allah punish a women for 'every single hair that shows' when He didnt even command it to be covered in the Quran, where Allah makes all the commands? Why would the Most Merciful punish so severely for something so menial [considering revealing hair is a sin that is].

Quran tells us a soul is responsible only for what it has earned for itself. Why should I or you be punished for some one elses "sin", if it can be called a sin. God is never unjust to His creatures [Quran 8:51]

Peace to you. :)

Cheb
03-12-2006, 02:31 PM
True sis it is better that you do some research yourself with the Quran and Hadith. You can read it then if you have any questions or you are confused about something then this forum is a good place to ask. But dont use this forum or even the Internet in general for your 1 source to Islam. I recommend that everyday before you go to sleep, read a bit of the Quran until inshallah you finish it. Then start with some of the Hadith. Of course this is a lot but it is our duty to do so.
Regarding the Hijab, I think you should really consider it. Wearing the Hijab will bring you closer to Islam. Also know that it is not just your head that you should cover, but you should also wear clothes that do not show the shape of your body. Basically loose clothes. So sorry sis but jeans and a top wont do in Islam. Of course in the end it is up to you.
May Allah guide you to the right path.
Peace.

Kittygyal
03-12-2006, 02:44 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Cheb
True sis it is better that you do some research yourself with the Quran and Hadith. You can read it then if you have any questions or you are confused about something then this forum is a good place to ask. But dont use this forum or even the Internet in general for your 1 source to Islam. I recommend that everyday before you go to sleep, read a bit of the Quran until inshallah you finish it. Then start with some of the Hadith. Of course this is a lot but it is our duty to do so.
Regarding the Hijab, I think you should really consider it. Wearing the Hijab will bring you closer to Islam. Also know that it is not just your head that you should cover, but you should also wear clothes that do not show the shape of your body. Basically loose clothes. So sorry sis but jeans and a top wont do in Islam. Of course in the end it is up to you.
Peace.

o thanks eva so much bro......:happy:

take care

AceOfHearts
03-12-2006, 03:32 PM
I advise you read the entire Quran translation - make that your goal - if you have not done so.

I advise a translation by M. A. S. Abdel Haleem. :)

Kittygyal
03-12-2006, 03:33 PM
I advise you read the entire Quran translation - make that your goal - if you have not done so.

I advise a translation by M. A. S. Abdel Haleem. :)

ew is M. A. S. Abdel Haleem:? :? :?

take care

Umm Yoosuf
03-12-2006, 10:02 PM

I have been reading through the thread and I'd like to remind brothers and sister's something that is very important.

How should we understand the Qur'an?

We should understand the Quran according to how the Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) and his Sahabah (companions) understood the it.

If you want to understand the correct Hijab why don't you open up the Tafsir? Look at it and read it clearfully.

The Niqaab, which has been discussed in greath depth in other threads, is something that is highly recommanded for the woman to wear, there are difference of opinion among the scholar's. Alhamdulaah there is a blessing in this difference of opinions :)

ameen
03-12-2006, 11:03 PM
As-salamu'alaikum,

You cannot simply use hadith to interpret the Qur'an because there are many hadith which are not true / corrupt / lies.

This is why scholars have so many different opinions on this issue, ranging from covering just the hair, to covering EVERYTHING including the "fingernails", except maybe "one eye" (e.g. look at Muhsin Khan's interpretation).

Allah did not command us to use hadith to interpret the Qur'an.

Tasneem
03-12-2006, 11:04 PM
Hijab is too cover the face

ameen
03-12-2006, 11:08 PM
^ (not according to the Qur'an)

that is an opinion.

Tasneem
03-12-2006, 11:21 PM
yes, according to the Qur'an

Appendix I-Glossary

Pg:805

Hijab-A long dress prescribed for woman to cover their whole
body from head to feet.

Thats in the Qur'an....i have given you the page number...

ameen
03-12-2006, 11:28 PM
As-salamu'alaikum,

If you are giving me the reference to a translation of the Qur'an, then you'd have to let me know which translation you are talking about, because there are many different English translations around.

The 'Glossary' you have quoted from is not part of the actual Qur'an.

(the Glossary is not a list of Qur'anic ayahs / verses)

wsalam

Tasneem
03-12-2006, 11:43 PM
The Qur'an is the Qur'an

English,spanish,japaness its the Qur'an now to say
That what i have quoted is not from the actual Qur'an is not true.

You telling me that there aint no glossary in the Qur'an?

Check your Qur'an before you attack others

ameen
03-12-2006, 11:49 PM
salam,

I'm not attacking you - just pointing out something ?

Allah revealed the Qur'an in Arabic,

but human-beings have translated the original (Arabic Qur'an) into different languages - like spanish, french, english...

but these translated versions are not the Qur'an ,

because only the Arabic one is the real / original Qur'an.

also, the Glossary you found with the translation of the Qur'an (not real version) was not revealed by Allah.

so the Glossary is not really part of 'the Qur'an' -

the Glossary is only an addition to the translation,

The Glossary has been written by a person - probably a man -

so it is not from Allah.

Tasneem
03-13-2006, 12:13 AM
Whatever:rollseyes

I know hijab is the veil......

the khimar does not have two names...

Tasneem
03-13-2006, 12:15 AM
As-salamu'alaikum,

You cannot simply use hadith to interpret the Qur'an because there are many hadith which are not true / corrupt / lies.

This is why scholars have so many different opinions on this issue, ranging from covering just the hair, to covering EVERYTHING including the "fingernails", except maybe "one eye" (e.g. look at Muhsin Khan's interpretation).

Allah did not command us to use hadith to interpret the Qur'an.
No hadith is corrupt...its the words of ALLAHS prophet...how can
it be corrupt?!

ameen
03-13-2006, 12:27 AM
salam,

the scholars say that some hadith are 'fabricated hadith',

don't you believe these are false?

does this not mean they are corrupt?

please read my posts on this thread:

Umu 'Isa
03-13-2006, 12:50 AM

1: Volume: 1, Book Number: 4, Hadith Number: 148
Narrated 'Aisha:
The wives of the Prophet used to go to Al-Manasi, a vast open place (near Baqia at Medina) to answer the call of nature at night. 'Umar used to say to the Prophet "Let your wives be veiled," but Allah's Apostle did not do so. One night Sauda bint Zam'a the wife of the Prophet went out at 'Isha' time and she was a tall lady. 'Umar addressed her and said, "I have recognized you, O Sauda." He said so, as he desired eagerly that the verses of Al-Hijab (the observing of veils by the Muslim women) may be revealed. So Allah revealed the verses of "Al-Hijab" (A complete body cover excluding the eyes).

2: Book Number: 32, Hadith Number: 4091
Narrated Aisha, Ummul Mu'minin:

May Allah have mercy on the early immigrant women. When the verse "That they should draw their veils over their bosoms" was revealed, they tore their thick outer garments and made veils from them.

DEFINITION OF VEIL: A length of cloth worn by women over the head, shoulders, and often the face. source

Umu 'Isa
03-13-2006, 01:12 AM
salam,

the scholars say that some hadith are 'fabricated hadith',

don't you believe these are false?

does this not mean they are corrupt?

please read my posts on this thread:

mmm okay.. so i take it you don't pray, you don't perform hajj right? coz you wouldnt know how to if you don't believe in these hadiths?
Soooo the whole muslim ummah is wrong? and you're right?
please enlighten me, i dont understand how a muslim can deny these. If Allah swt says
O you who believe! obey Allah and obey the Messenger, and do not make your deeds of no effect. (47:33)
how are we meant to obey the messenger, if the hadiths, as you say are fabricated?

ameen
03-13-2006, 07:28 AM
salam,

you obviously didn't read the thread I posted.

Did I say every single hadith is fabricated? - please don't make accusations.

A Muslim does not have to follow hadith in order to be able to pray, or to perform Hajj.

Muslims knew how to pray / perform hajj even before Imam Bukhari was born, for example (before he compiled his hadith).

he was born over 200 years after the death of the Prophet.

(you can verify this yourself).

to you, 'obey the messenger' means 'obey the hadith',

whereas in reality Allah is not saying that,

when the Qur'an was revealed, the hadith did not exist like you know them today.

(you can verify this yourself as well).

Umu 'Isa
03-13-2006, 07:38 AM
then which narrator do you follow?

Umm Yoosuf
03-13-2006, 01:50 PM

It's very important to study the science of hadiths. Why? Because it connects us with what the Prophet (saw) and his companions (ra) were upon. Thus it's imperative to study its chains.

Knowing the science of hadith saves you from all the difference of opinion among the scholars. If you look to it's evidence- for example there is a difference of opinion among the scholars whether to make wudu when one eats the meat of a camel- some scholars say no and some say yes. However if you look to the evidence you'll find that on the authority of Jaabir ibn Samrah that a man asked the prophet (saw): "should I make ablution after eating mutton?" The Prophet replied: "If you wish, make ablution and if you wish, do not make ablution." The man then asked: "Should I make ablution after eating camel meat?" He replied: "Yes, make ablution after eating camel meat." (Ahmad)

Some of the Salaf said the Qura'n is more in need of the Sunnah then the Sunnah is in need of the Qur'an.

How?

The best example is that of the Salaah (prayer)...

The Quran tells you to pray five times a day but it doesn't tell you how many unites one needs to pray or ritual of the prayer for that matter. The sunnah gives you the general rulings.

Umm Yoosuf
03-13-2006, 02:13 PM
Here is an excellent article on the Hijab

http://muttaqun.com/niqab.html

MetSudaisTwice
03-13-2006, 02:21 PM
salam
Quoted by Sheikh Shuraim, Imam of Haram Of Makkah

Also, know my Muslim sister that to conceal your face and allow your eyebrows, cheekbone, and bridge of the nose to remain uncovered is clear error. Some women use this as a ploy to cover up their inadequate features. They will uncover what they like and cover what they dislike. If our woman folk exit their homes having beautified themselves, uncovering more that what they cover, perfumed, while using their eyes and movement to attract the attention of men, they are indeed calling to deviance and disorder.

Quoted by Sheikh Sudais, Imam of Haram Of Makkah

By Allah you will be praised, you will please your household and make your home happy, you will perfect your hijab, you will perfect your chastity, relieve others and you will make yourself happy and comfortable.
How many young women get trapped and how much tragedy happens when the hijab is destroyed and the jilbab (outer garment) is taken off and the `wolves` (wicked men) devour the women? Such is as a result of sufoor and mingling with men in jobs, schools, and market places.

wasalam

Issa
03-13-2006, 02:33 PM

:sl: ,

Hello everyone! Brother, with all due respect, you should use any other explanation but not because you can't lower your gaze. Remember by lowering your gaze you are doing your part. I don't think that excuse "She didn't cover therfore I couldn't help it" will help on judgement day. I know that I wouldn't want to cover (with hijab) just to babysit someone whwo isn't doing their part.
I'm not sure exactly where I heard this but the Prophet(pbuh)said that the first glance is natural but the second is from the devil.....Does anyone know what I am talking about?

MetSudaisTwice
03-13-2006, 02:34 PM
salam
yes, the first glance, allah will forgive you, and the second glance allah will not forgive and it is from shaitan
wasalam

mizan_aliashraf
03-13-2006, 02:35 PM
Salam
Well said bro
Jazakallah Khayr
Wassalam

Issa
03-13-2006, 02:37 PM
The Prophet(pbuh)also said that Islam is easy. I believe we(ppl) are the ones who make it so difficult. The best Muslims had years to get better and the focus wasn't on HARAM/HALAL all the time....

MetSudaisTwice
03-13-2006, 02:38 PM
salam
yep that is true too
wasalam

Issa
03-13-2006, 02:43 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Cheb
Peace.
:sl: ,

Can't we wear loose jeans and a long top?

MetSudaisTwice
03-13-2006, 02:45 PM
salam
permissble clothing must be those of which does not reveal the shape/outline of your body and those which does not draw attention
wasalam

AceOfHearts
03-14-2006, 09:13 AM
Reading this thread, men need to STOP blaming women and take blame themselves for their own actions. This constant pointing fingures and transfering of sins to the women for not covering their hair, their cheeks, eyes, hands and what not is absolutely down right propersterous and out of this world.

You men constantly put the onus on women to do whatever they can to help you control your desires whereas if you have excessive desire for women that you cannot help your self stare at a womans face, then it's YOUR problem, not hers.

Go and do something about yourselves. If necessary, dont come out of the house. But dont tell her to stay indoors because of that as it is your problem that you can not control your desires anf you have a problem with her body, not hers.

Peace.

PS. M. A. S. Abdel Haleem did a very good translation of the Quran.

Cheb
03-14-2006, 10:22 AM
Reading this thread, men need to STOP blaming women and take blame themselves for their own actions. This constant pointing fingures and transfering of sins to the women for not covering their hair, their cheeks, eyes, hands and what not is absolutely down right propersterous and out of this world.
We all have responsibilities and rules that we need to abide by. The Quran clearly states that a woman should be dressed modestly so us (men) can lower our gaze among many things. The verse is mentioned many times in this thread. Therefore if even hair may allow a man to look longer than he should, then it should be covered. It is not like we are not blaming ourselves for looking either, see we get sins for that too. But by your logic, (i have stated this before) you can have a small glass of an alcoholic drink, but you wont get drunk. Whatever may lead to sin should be avoided. If a woman's hair attracts the attention of the gaze (or even more) of us men, then she should cover it AND we should lower our gaze anyway. It is a responsibility for BOTH men and women.

You men constantly put the onus on women to do whatever they can to help you control your desires whereas if you have excessive desire for women that you cannot help your self stare at a womans face, then it's YOUR problem, not hers.
We also have to do whatever we can to help control woman's desires. It goes both ways. But what are you talking about here? Is it covering the hair or the face?

Go and do something about yourselves. If necessary, dont come out of the house. But dont tell her to stay indoors [because of that] as it's your problem that you cant control your desires [& you have a problem with her body], not hers.
You are arguing a different issue here. Who said women should stay indoor? Sorry if I missed a previous post that said that. It is both our problems that it is HARD to control our desires, that is the way God made us.

AceOfHearts
03-14-2006, 12:07 PM
:sl: brother,

It is both our problems that it is HARD to control our desires, that is the way God made us.
Please speak for yourself only.

By my logic you cannot say drinking any amount of alcohol is permitted. How can you draw such a similtude about alcohol! Quran forbids intoxicants clearly.

I do find a problem with your logic is that it gives scholars the licence to impose any sort of restriction over women, even the most extreme, with the excuse that "it can cause desire in us men". And it has happened. Scholars not only have gone as far as to suggest the face has to be covered and termed it "awra" but also right down to her finger nails! A point reaches where the entire women is "awra", her feet, hands, hair, smell, voice, you name it theyve got it.

Perheps the last thing that remains for the clergy is to say women must put a cardboard box around themselves when they go outside. :heated:

If they can be allowed outside that is!

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.