/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Toronto demonstration

Kent Nielsen
03-12-2006, 03:17 PM
Hi I thought I should mention that there was a demonstration yetsrday in Toronto, Ontario, Canada in support of free speech and defending the publication of the cartoons. One of the speakers spoke out against what he called the 'new fascism' threatening freedom of speech. I wanted to learn what people thought of this.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
rubiesand
03-12-2006, 08:51 PM
Hi Kent,

Free speech is so highly valued in western culture, that its not surprising that people would come out and protest if they felt it was under threat. It's kind of odd though that they waited so long before holding their demonstration - do you know if there is a reason why this is so? I was under the impression that the whole thing had pretty much blown over. It's certainly off the news and out of the papers where I live.

Kent Nielsen
03-12-2006, 10:25 PM
Hi back Rubiesand I'm not sure what triggered the decision to hold the rally now. I also thought the situation had settled down. It was sponsored by a group called Canadian Coalitoin for Democracies and apparently it's part of an international series of rallies that are or were to be held in New York Sydney, Australia and London in the UK. The rallies are meant to defend free speech and support the Danish government.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.