/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Is this possible?

swanlake
04-20-2005, 11:32 AM
Salaam aleykum

Is it possible a Medinan surah to have Meccan verses in it? In anywhere in the quran? I heard from those devaint sects that there are 2 Meccan verses in Medinin surah (surah 9). I know they cant discard whole verses out of the quran just suit their mathematical calculations. But It got me wondered if there were other places in the Quran where meccan verses were included in medinin surah or vice versa.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Umm Yoosuf
04-20-2005, 11:36 AM
No idea sis

Anyone?

Khaldun
04-20-2005, 11:39 AM
:sl:

are you trying to say that some verses where revealed twice dear sister? once in makkah and once in medinah?

swanlake
04-20-2005, 11:43 AM

No. I am saying for instance surah nisa was revealed in mecca, but not the whole sura, Just 2 verses out of surah nisaa were revealed in medina. Is this possible? So it is not twice but once.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
aamirsaab
04-20-2005, 11:55 AM
you mean like half and half? i.e. half of the surah is in one lang. and the other half is another lang?

Far7an
04-20-2005, 12:03 PM
I think what she means is, that is it possible for a makhan surah to have some verses which were revealed in medinah

swanlake
04-20-2005, 12:31 PM

Ah..Thank you farhan..

time for me to go to English classes...

S_87
04-20-2005, 12:47 PM

yh it is possible

umm say sure Nahl
it is a late makkan surah except the ayah 110 which was revealed in madinah around the first 2 yrs AH and also possibly many other ayahs towards the end

is that what you mean like?

Far7an
04-20-2005, 12:55 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by zAk
no farhan, but she meant otherwise :)
read tht first post again,

she asked Is it possible a Medinan surah to have Meccan verses in it ?
n not : is it possible for a makhan surah to have some verses which were revealed in medinah

wat u said is possible, but wat she asked is.........??? not sure !
Well true, but I think she was just trying to find out whether it is possible or not. A makhan surah with verses revealed in medinah or vice versa.

swanlake
04-20-2005, 01:41 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by amani

yh it is possible

umm say sure Nahl
it is a late makkan surah except the ayah 110 which was revealed in madinah around the first 2 yrs AH and also possibly many other ayahs towards the end

is that what you mean like?

:sl: amani

This is what i mean. But could you clarify again which verses were revealed in Madinah and which verses were revealed in Makkah? and could you think of other Makkah/Medina verses which are included in Medina/Makkah surahs??

swanlake
04-20-2005, 01:47 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by farhan247
Well true, but I think she was just trying to find out whether it is possible or not. A makhan surah with verses revealed in medinah or vice versa.

Farhan..spot on again brother. Also if it is possible, could one tell me where i can find those verses and in which surahs.

swanlake
04-20-2005, 01:49 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by zAk
as i said first is surely possible, there may be many examples,
but for the second one.......... *doubts*, **unsure** :brother:

Zak..could you pls tell me the ones you know? It doesnt matter whether they were Makkah/Medina verses in Medina/Makkah surahs.

S_87
04-20-2005, 01:57 PM

it is only verse 110 i am sure about that was revelaed in madinah
..there are other ayash towards the end but i do not know the exact ayahs

Sure Anfal
date of revelation= for most second yr of hijrah
some good arabic authorities state that the ayahs between v 30-40 was revealed in makkah just before the hijrah.

Sure Yunus.
a late makkan sura except three verses (not sure which 3 though)

Sure Hud
a makkan surah except ayah 114 revelaed in madinah

Sure Rad
some say it is a makkan surah except two verses revealed in madinah
others have said that it is madinah surah with exception of two verses revealed in makkah
but most have agreed its a late makkan surah mostly

Sure ibrahim
late makkan except verses
28-30 revelaed in madinah

ill look up some mroe inshaAllah right now

swanlake
04-20-2005, 02:02 PM
Jazaakallah khyran amani..

they are going to ask for a source..where can i get it??

S_87
04-20-2005, 02:02 PM

Sure Bani Israel

Makkan surah
except ayah 81 or according to some commentators ayahs 76-82 revealed in madinah

Sure maryam=makkan surah
with possible exception of ayahs 59-60 r..according to some authorities revealed in madinah

Sure Hajj- makkan surah
with exception of the verses 11-13
25-30
39-41
which were revealed in madinah

S_87
04-20-2005, 02:06 PM
oh umm i got it from the explanatory transalation by mohammed marmaduke pickthall

Ansar Al-'Adl
04-20-2005, 09:49 PM
:sl: This is a good question and deserves some clarification on a number of issues.

First of all, we must understand what is meant when we classify Surahs as Makee or Madanee. The common definition is by date of revelation. Hence, Surahs before the Hijrah are considered Makee while those after are considered madanee. It is a chronological seperation, NOT a geographical seperation. So those verses revealed at the conquest of Makkah for example, are Madanee verses, even though they were revealed in Makkah.

Secondly, a Surah is classified as Makee or Madanee, depending on its first verses. So a Surah that is mostly Madanee but starts with only a few Makee verses, is still considered Makee.

Now I would just like to outline characteristics of Makee and Madanee surahs before moving on to your question.

Makke surahs

1. Every surah that has the oath "kalaa" (nay!) is makee.

2. All surahs beginning with the disjointed letters (al-muqatta'aat) are makkee. eg. Ha-meem, Alif-laam-meem, etc.
The only exceptions to this are Al-Baqaqarah and Al-Imran.

3. All surahs which have a verse of prostration (sajdah at-tilawah) are makee.

4. All surahs which memntion the story of previous prophets are Makee, with the exception of Al-Baqarah

5. The verses in Makee surahs are usually short with frequent oaths.

Madanee surahs

1. Every verse that mentions a punishment for a crime (hudood) is Madanee

2. Every surah that mentions the hypocrites in madanee, except Surah Al-Ankabut

3. Every surah that addresses the Jews and Christians is Madanee

4. Every surah that mentions jihaad is Madanee

5. generally, Madanee verses are longer than Makee.

Coming to your question, there are many categories of Qur'anic surahs, and one of them is Madanee surahs with Makee verses. An example is Suratul Anfaal, which is Madanee except for verse 64, which is Makee.

For more info, I recommend reading what has been written by Shaykh an-Naysabooree (d. 406 AH), in az-Zarkashee, v.1, p. 192.

:w:

swanlake
04-21-2005, 08:12 AM
Jazaakallahu kheyr brother. Do you mind if i copy and paste your reply??

Ansar Al-'Adl
04-21-2005, 12:34 PM
No I don't mind, go ahead. :)

:w:

Umm Yoosuf
04-21-2005, 03:10 PM
Alhmdulilaah! Excellent question. Excellent answers....very clear. Masha Allah.

hrm
08-16-2009, 07:01 PM
The common definition is by date of revelation. Hence, Surahs before the Hijrah are considered Makee while those after are considered madanee. It is a chronological seperation, NOT a geographical seperation. So those verses revealed at the conquest of Makkah for example, are Madanee verses, even though they were revealed in Makkah.

Brother Ansar,:statisfie
Please confirm where you are getting this information from that Makee and madanee surahs has a chronologican separation not geographiocal? Thanks

Secondly, a Surah is classified as Makee or Madanee, depending on its first verses. So a Surah that is mostly Madanee but starts with only a few Makee verses, is still considered Makee.

Source???

These questions asked are for information purposes only. May Allah's blessing be upon all momaneen and momeenaat Aameen:wa:

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!