/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Basant In Pakistan

seek.learn
03-12-2006, 05:13 PM
Salaam o alaikum wa rahmatullah

Im not too sure under what group of topics this comes under. But just wanted to share.

May Allah guide our ummah and unite us and forgive us our sins. Aameen.

http://www.alhudapk.com/audio-video/.../basant.pps#30

AllahuAlim

Alaikum Salaam wa rahmatullah

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
islamistheway
03-04-2007, 06:23 AM
:sl:

i have to say that the power point was extremely enlightening...i posted a thread just a few minutes ago questioning the viability of viability of celebrating Basant in Pakistan since as far as my knowledge led me to believe was either a Hindu or Sikh festival..n now after reading ur Power pt...its Hindu...and knowing all those historical facts..it shames me to know that Pakistani ppl being Muslims r celebrating something that was and perhaps still is a celebration for a man who dared to talk against our Holy Prophet (PBUH) and his daughter Sayadina Fatima. Would you mind if I used your link and put it in my thread as well? To spread the message across? I'd appreciate it if you allowed me :)

:w:

NoName55
03-04-2007, 06:24 AM
Legend has it that there was once a Raja (Hindu) called Basant
who ruled over the ancient land of Indus. One year there was drought,
so he cancelled all the taxes on his people and his people, thereafter,
celebrated ‘Basant Panchmi’ every year at the arrival of Spring.

snakelegs
03-04-2007, 06:29 AM
do they still do basant big in lahore? i know there are people who want to put a stop to it.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
islamistheway
03-04-2007, 06:30 AM
yup...and its expanded into karachi as well..its quite sick actually :S i think its just retarded...

snakelegs
03-04-2007, 06:40 AM
i couldn't watch the video posted here cuz i have dial-up, but someone sent me a documentary on basant in lahore. kafir that i am, i thought it was cool to see all those kites.

NoName55
03-04-2007, 10:07 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by snakelegs
i couldn't watch the video posted here cuz i have dial-up, but someone sent me a documentary on basant in lahore. kafir that i am, i thought it was cool to see all those kites.
If you mean the link in initial post then that is quite small, it takes a few minutes on dial up

snakelegs
03-04-2007, 10:40 AM
yep. i don't even try any more. i'll get a few seconds, then it stops, then a few more seconds etc.

NoName55
03-04-2007, 11:17 AM
http://rapidshare.com/files/19337864/basant.rar

SHAH G
03-04-2007, 12:34 PM
man i can't belive it pakis are getin killed by kites wots next? man the string of those are so sharp they can cut threw anything and these pakis make em so sharp so that they can win how sad is dat and also i heard a guy tried to be a hero to get his kite cos it wos stuck on power cable and he got shocked and died. man these kites only cost a few bob and they getin there throats cut and geting shocked and shot wots happenin people

Snowflake
03-04-2007, 12:59 PM
It's disgusting.. pakistanis are too much into cultural practices from Hinduism since before the division. They have not learnt to differentiate between Islam & culture.

I happened to be in Lahore (Pak) once during the Basant festival. And I couldn't believe how many people got their throats slashed by kites strings re-inforced with powered glass. Some people died becuz they'd lose their balance standing on the roof-top terraces and fall. And the free-mixing that goes on.. don't even ask.

Astaghfirullah, I hear that now they're having snogging competitions in colleges on Valentines day. :'(

seek.learn
03-13-2007, 04:33 AM
Salaam o alaikum wa rahmatullah,
Peace,

I apologize for replying so late. I haven't been online as much.
Yes, sis Islamistheway, you can surely use the link in your thread.

The whole purpose with sharing the link is to spread the message. So all those who agree with it, please share it with all those with whom you think it will make a difference, InshaAllah.

Snakelegs, certainly flying kites is fun and as such there's no harm in it as a general past time activity. But then when you start going over-board, not being mindful of your limitations (economical, religious and others), its not.. well.. harmless anymore.

WAllahu Alim.
May Allah(SWT) guide us all, Aameen.

Alaikum Salaam wa rahmatullah
Peace

NobleMuslimUK
03-13-2007, 01:17 PM
Yep true the cities in Pakistan are totally messed up, I live in England but I feel out of place in Pakistan's cities as the people look down on you if you are dressed in a western manner like them. I dont like wearing jeans in such hot weather anyway, so I stick to salwar kameez. My major concern is that such events have become an excuse for free mixing. Just like the crappy melas we have here. Its like these pakis trying to be way too western, indulging in kuffar customs such as valentines day. Pakis will take foreing unislamic customs and follow them as if they inherited them from their forefathers.

May Allah SWT guide us all on the straight path. Ameen.

seek.learn
03-14-2007, 02:10 AM
Salaam o alaikum,

Aameen to your dua, brother.
I would want to reiterate though, that if you feel there is anyone at all that you can share this with, please do.

May Allah(SWT) forgive us all and guide us.
Aameen.

Alaikum Salaam

mahdisoldier19
03-14-2007, 05:57 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by snakelegs
LOL

shible
03-14-2007, 06:10 AM
Yet the same kind of things also happen in da rural areas of north india

where they celebrate Holi, Vinayaga chadurthi and many more due to their ignorance.

Yet some of those villages only have about two or three telephone connections for the whole village

AvarAllahNoor
03-17-2007, 01:08 AM
Not A Sikh Festival

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.